Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Makes me feel much better, thanks Mike — let’s hope for the best Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There were a few lifts open this morning, but the wind and rain have intensified, so the area has been closed down.

Currently +6C in the village, raining hard.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How are conditions looking? We arrive tomorrow
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@that_econ_prof, Much better now than it was 48 hours ago. We've had more snow and temperatures have dropped. The run back to the village is still fine. Lots of sunshine forecast from Saturday, should be glorious.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wengen is ready for the holidays. Lovely weather, cold temps and great snow.

Most hotels are open now, along with all the bars and restaurants.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks wonderful!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow cover looks very good @telford_mike, considering the rain/mild spell.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From the Schilthornbahn Facebook page:

Mürren-Birg cable car: Failure for several hours due to technical malfunction
In the late morning, a technical malfunction made the operation of the aerial cable car between Mürren and Birg impossible. The error could not be fixed for a long time. By Helishuttle, around 160 pedestrians were flown back to Mürren from Birg in the afternoon.
Since 11.15 a.m., the operation of the Mürren-Birg cable car had been suspended due to a technical malfunction. The error in the electronics could be narrowed down, but could not be precisely defined and corrected for a long time. At 1.30 p.m., the responsible employees of the Schilthornbahn finally decided to transport the pedestrians waiting in Birg and Schilthorn from Birg to Mürren by helicopter. This made it possible to ensure at an early stage that all around 160 people waiting were safely back in the valley before dark. The people evacuated were all pedestrians. The winter sports enthusiasts were not affected by the disturbance. You could get into the valley via the Cannonenrohr valley.
In the meantime, the error could be found. The railway will be able to resume operations before the end of operations.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink wrote:

Since 11.15 a.m., the operation of the Mürren-Birg cable car had been suspended due to a technical malfunction. The error in the electronics could be narrowed down, but could not be precisely defined and corrected for a long time. At 1.30 p.m., the responsible employees of the Schilthornbahn finally decided to transport the pedestrians waiting in Birg and Schilthorn from Birg to Mürren by helicopter. This made it possible to ensure at an early stage that all around 160 people waiting were safely back in the valley before dark. The people evacuated were all pedestrians.

That must have been a cracking day if you weren’t in a hurry. Stuck in the bar at the Schilthorn, with nothing to do but guzzle beer, eat a sumptuous lunch and enjoy the views (the weather was lovely today). I'd have been last in the queue for the heli!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For anyone travelling to the Jungfrau region for a week's ski trip this may be of interest: https://freizeit.sbb.ch/en/stories/snownrail-jungfrau-ski-region

10% reduction on the 1-day, 2-day or 6-day ski pass for the whole Jungfrau ski region.

20% reduction on the 1-day, 2-day or 6-day ski pass for the whole Jungfrau ski region up to 23.12.2023 and from 4.3.2024 to the end of the season.

20% reduction on the journey to Interlaken Ost and back during the early and late season.

In January 2024: 30% discount on the journey to Interlaken Ost and back.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arrived in Wengen yesterday afternoon and today first day skiing up at Kleine Scheidegg I noticed that the old short rope tow at Kleine Scheidegg up to the bottom of the Lauberhorn chairlift has been replaced by an enclosed magic carpet/ travelator. Anyone know how long it's been in place?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alastair Pink, since just before Christmas.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@telford_mike, thanks.

My Niece Faye who is with me and wanting to get back into skiing after an unfortunate acl injury in Courchevel a few years ago and had an operation followed by physio arranged a 2 hour private lesson with Altitude ski school today at Kleine Scheidegg. We were expecting the gentle beginner area there with the magic carpet/ travelator would be ideal for her, unfortunately that travelator is currently out of action. Her instructor (Michael Cowan?) said that the travelator was new, replacing the old one but only went into operation on Saturday and has since broken down and hasn't yet been repaired. Probably her next lesson tomorrow will be up at Männlichen where there's a beginner button lift.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair Pink, I believe the 'new' travelator lift on the nursery slope at Scheidegg was repurposed from the Jungfraujoch. I'm sure Mike will find some suitable terrain tomorrow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting article about the Jungfrau region: https://www.cntraveller.com/article/jungfrau-european-skiing-hotspot
snow conditions
Nice sunny day today, so I decided to go over to Mürren. However very busy (inevitable given the time of year), a long queue for the cable car up to Birg, it took 35 mins from joining the queue to getting onto the cable car. Sad
latest report
Happy New Year everyone!
snow report
Hi

I'm heading off to Grindlewald for the first time in winter in a few days time. Please can people recommend the "must ski" areas / runs for me to try out in my 3 days over there?

A mate and I have built our own app for skiers to find adventures (itineraries to follow). I'm keen to build some Jungfrau adventures in the app to try out during my trip. Any recommendations would help me plan out our skiing and would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone wants to contribute fully fledged content for the app you are very welcome to get in touch with me .You can see content for Italy and France in the app to see what I'm talking about.

It is for Android and iPhone - montino.app

Cheers

Alex
snow conditions
Montino wrote:
Hi

I'm heading off to Grindlewald for the first time in winter in a few days time. Please can people recommend the "must ski" areas / runs for me to try out in my 3 days over there?

A mate and I have built our own app for skiers to find adventures (itineraries to follow). I'm keen to build some Jungfrau adventures in the app to try out during my trip. Any recommendations would help me plan out our skiing and would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone wants to contribute fully fledged content for the app you are very welcome to get in touch with me .You can see content for Italy and France in the app to see what I'm talking about.

It is for Android and iPhone - montino.app

Cheers

Alex

I'd spend a day at Grindelwald First. Day at Kleine Scheidegg, and a day over at Murren. It's more or less what i do when i go.
snow report
Deedee wrote:

I'd spend a day at Grindelwald First. Day at Kleine Scheidegg, and a day over at Murren. It's more or less what i do when i go.

Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to get on the snow and explore
snow report
First day skiing for the season today at Murren. Trains and trams were pretty crowded going up from Lauterbrunnen. No waiting on chairs once on the mountain. Took them awhile to open Murren-Schilthorn Bahn - maybe about noon or 1pm. 4-8” fresh - had some good powder drops. Still learning my way around this place - it’s big. Maybe try Wengen side tomorrow. We’ll see.
latest report
@Tom_Ski, and others of course:
Pics please, sounds like a good time to be there.
latest report
More schnee last night. Now light dusting of white in LB valley. Started at Klein-Schneider. Powder up top today but low viz- foggy. 2-3 chairs or less.
snow conditions
Tom_Ski wrote:
More schnee last night. Now light dusting of white in LB valley. Started at Klein-Schneider.

I guess autocorrect may have altered your text, but just for accuracy the name of the place where the train from Lauterbrunnen stops at the top is called Kleine Scheidegg. These Swiss names do take a bit of getting used to for us English speakers. Laughing Enjoy the area! Madeye-Smiley

P.S where are you staying?
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:

I guess autocorrect may have altered your text, but just for accuracy the name of the place where the train from Lauterbrunnen stops at the top is called Kleine Scheidegg. These Swiss names do take a bit of getting used to for us English speakers. Laughing Enjoy the area! Madeye-Smiley

P.S where are you staying?

Yeah, the AutoCorrect is a bit maddening. Anyway I’m staying down in LB at a friend’s condo.

Skied Wengen today, and ran the bottom of the FIS downhill. That was pretty cool. Great snow. I could use a guide though. Don’t know where to go to find the pow.

Connecting with Roger Monday - hoping he’ll show me some stashes.
snow report
Training it to Lauterbrunnen...any advice on the best train ticket from Geneva ?
snow report
@Chris Brookes, in recent years I've used the Saver Day Pass to get from Swiss airports to my destination ski resort. If you buy it early enough it's 52CHF without a Half Fare Travel card, and is totally flexible as regards what time train you use on the day, so no worries if your arrival flight should be delayed. It now goes on sale up to 6 months before your date of travel.
latest report
Thanks Alastair
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Knee-deep pow off the Riggi chair yesterday up on Schilthorn. Was snowing pretty steady as day ended. Heading up soon and going to shred some more up there. If anyone has any recs on other runs/chairs for finding good powder lines please provide details. Thanks.
latest report
@Tom_Ski, did you ski the black run down from the Schilthorn? (maximum gradient 37 degrees, but not a problem when the snow conditions are good).

Btw it's the Riggli chair..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Tom_Ski, did you ski the black run down from the Schilthorn? (maximum gradient 37 degrees, but not a problem when the snow conditions are good).

Btw it's the Riggli chair..... Toofy Grin

Skied off top of Piz Gloria/Schilthorn from under the observation deck - had to hop a rope at the stairs and walk a skinny path alongside the building to get around the side. The drop in was off the roof of a shed. I think they call this the North Face or North Side (?). Anyway, was epic - thigh-deep powder, with plenty of fresh lines to take. Had a local guy show me the line. You get it wrong, you die. Was great. Wish we had some sun though. The flat light was really treacherous up there.
ski holidays
Well......that was day 1 of my season and @Tom_Ski, skied the legs off us.
I opted for the visit to Grindelwald First, the terrain is a little less severe than the north bank of Schilthorn.
We skied all the mellow powder...too much avalanche debris for my liking.
Hopefully Tom will be along soon to offer his thoughts on the day, we loved it what a blast.
snow conditions
Day spent cruising round Mannlichen and KS. Unexpectedly great weather and some of the best piste conditions I've experienced at this time of year.
ski holidays
Rogerdodger wrote:
Well......that was day 1 of my season and @Tom_Ski, skied the legs off us.
I opted for the visit to Grindelwald First, the terrain is a little less severe than the north bank of Schilthorn.
We skied all the mellow powder...too much avalanche debris for my liking.
Hopefully Tom will be along soon to offer his thoughts on the day, we loved it what a blast.

What a blast indeed. This fairytale place with accordion music playing at the lift stations, untracked powder for as far as the eye can see, and guide @Rogerdodger showing us all his favorite lines through it. It don’t get no better! Thank you Roger and Sue for sharing this amazing place with us. Legendary day.
ski holidays
Hi guys, loving the reports coming in. I’m in Wengen in less than two weeks for 3 days with some mates (thanks to some good advice on a previous SH thread).
My thinking is to ski the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, Lauberhorn route on day one. Will the World Cup run be back open by then? How long does it take to get to it? Ideally I would like to tackle it with fresh legs in the morning rather than just at the end of the day back to the village?
Day 2 we are booked into the restaurant at Piz Gloria, so will head over to Murren for the day. We are there during the Inferno week but it looks like there is no racing on the Friday. If this is the case, Is it possible to follow the race route, or is it cordoned off?
Day 3 we leave in the pm so will probably stay on the Mannlichen slopes again. However, we could venture across to First for the morning. Would this be worthwhile. Is there an easy link across Grindlewald and back. How long from First back to Wengen (skiing) for competent skiers?
Finally, any good restaurant recommendations for piste side lunches for day 1 and day 3?
Thanks in advance for any help!
ski holidays
Ok,@EdYarker, here goes. You can ski the Lauberhorn track pretty much straight after the race. It just resembles a construction or destruction site there is so much equipment to move.
The big viewing stadium below Canadian corner will take 3 weeks to dismantle .
You can ski the Inferno race route, the gates are not put out until late on Fri prior to race on Sat.
Sadly you will not have the full run to Lauterbrunnen as we are short of snow.
Ok, from Wengen up the Männlichen cable car then ski straight down to "Terminal", train up to Grindelwald then the bus to First gondola. Sounds awful but it isn't.
The return is similar, train down to Terminal then take the Eiger express up to Eigergletcher from this high point you can ski to Wengen. From Grindelwald First allow 1 hour to get to the top of Eiger express.
It all sounds desperately complex.....it is not, it's engineered beautifully to move people around.
Conditions are magic, I have just come down from the Lauberhorn course this morning. I hope you have a fab time.
ski holidays
Additional note @EdYarker, it is probably quicker/easier having skied down to Terminal to catch the bus, it will save the effort of walking through Terminal......which, for information , resembles an airport terminal.
latest report
Thanks @Rogerdodger, that’s very helpful and great to hear that we will be able to ski the WC run and the Inferno. With the latter, is it marked out at all before Friday evening I know that a lot of it follows regular pistes anyway but some isn’t, so will we struggle to stay on course?
As for travelling to First, it does sound like a faff but I trust you when you say that it isn’t- it is Switzerland after all! Are the slopes their better/ different/ worth the travel in your opinion? After all we will have only had one day skiing the other side at that point.

Excellent to hear that the conditions are good. I’m surprised they let people on the WC run so near to the race- or have you got special dispensation for being a Snowhead legend!
latest report
@Rogerdodger, thanks for the info re: Inferno - I will be there that week too and was going to ask the same question.

Re: Männlichen to Terminal - isn't the direct route closed from Holenstein down?

Any sledging runs that you would especially recommend? We are planning on taking at least one full day out of our 6 to do the Faulhorn run and whatever else we can fit in.
latest report
@mr_scratchy_esq, regarding Holenstein down to Terminal. I need to check, but the far side below Brandegg to Grund was skied by myself this morning and was in pristine condition.
The sledging , I shall invite @Tom_Ski, and his wife to give an up to the minute report, they are on the hill as I type!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy