Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
D G Orf wrote:
Well they've definitely had more snow, but a lot up near the top seems to have been blown off the ridges so I'm guessing the high winds are still in the area, as of this morning the Nursery slopes and Innerwengen have about 5cm whilst Wengernalp has 10, Kleine Scheideg 15, the top of Lauberhorn and Mannlichen both say 20cm and finally Eigergletscher has 25cm, to get a useable ski surface I'd suggest at least another 30cm is really needed all over and even then not all runs will be open, 60 cm more would get all but the odd rocky run like Gummi Nord open

For Chris I'm afraid the bad news is that the Schilthorn is reporting a mere 5cm of snow, I assume yesterdays high winds blew most of it away, and for anyone going to Grindlewald there's no snow so far at village level but there looks like maybe 15cm of windblown at First
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LaserStock wrote:
I went to Wengen via Kleine Scheidegg yesterday and there were some cannons in operation. As said above, the grass was poking through in places, but fingers crossed that we get more snow this week and can ski on Saturday. In all honesty the Lauberhorn and Honegg looked in much better shape than everything else, so hopefully they have had the cannons on and will get these open soon.

Grindelwald is now white down to the Hotel Aspen or just below Brandegg, with a dusting all the way to Grund.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LaserStock, knowing which slopes are exposed and which sheltered I'd say your best bets for this weekend would be Lauberhorn (with an awful lot of luck) and Mannlichen (if they open the lift and with slightly less luck)
I think you will get more snow this week at least on the higher slopes, but the lower ones may get a bit of rain or sleet, potentially I'd say maybe another 5cm today with perhaps double that tomorrow and into the early hours of Thursday, possible small amount of rain at lower levels on Friday probably turning to snow towards night time, then a few dry days with slightly warmer temps, before further (hopefully) light snow the middle of next week, Friday and Saturday next week look (at the moment) like they might deliver just enough snow to open the area with possibly another reasonably heavy snowfall Monday 19th, at the moment the winds for next week look like they will only be slight which means with a little luck that you will get a good base before Christmas
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why are we on a new thread? Did the old one break?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
telford_mike, A supposition on my part, but the site has been running very slowly recently (and sometimes not at all). It seems that the Snowheads IT gurus have closed a number of very large threads (such as the Part 1 predecessor of this one and the Dawn Chorus thread) so maybe the megathreads were causing problems for the hamsters that keep the server treadwheels turning. wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink, almost certainly correct, the poor hamsters really suffered when the part 1 came online
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bye bye to Jungfrau Ski region thread 1...nice knowing you Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We should pin it to the top of the list for all time Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Still snowing but looking forward to the bigger dump tomorrow -

Mürren (looking good)

Wengen (roads clear for the cars...lol)

Grindelwald
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
telford_mike, I agree and as if by magic ..................... wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How many times have I checked the DHO webcam and Scheidegg today??? I really want to be able to ski on proper snow for Christmas - D G Orf, your reports are great - I'd like a daily update please!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skilegs, given that I currently have no work and no money it looks like i will be spending my time on the Internet so I will try to oblige as I definitely won't be back there this year Crying or Very sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowing quite heavily now down to resort level (Grindelwald) and most importantly it is sticking. Fingers crossed for more to come!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sill looks good for a reasonable amount of snow today and into the early hours of tomorrow, I am concerned about there possibly being rain on Friday or Saturday though, think it will be fine at higher levels but resort may suffer a little, from the webcams at Scheidegg I'd say there's been an improvement over yesterday but still not enough to open runs this weekend and I personally doubt they will do so, as of 10.15 local time today it is only just below freezing up at the Mannlichen and I can still see a lot of grass poking through the snow, this is not all bad, warm temps tend to result in wetter snow which is actually what you want for a good base on grass, assuming in the next day or two the temps drop below freezing that wet snow will freeze solid and bond to the grass on the slopes giving a great base for the season
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like a lot of snow has blown away up at Scheidegg & Mannlichen.
latest report
Chris Brookes wrote:
bye bye to Jungfrau Ski region thread 1...nice knowing you Crying or Very sad
but snowHeads isn't snowHeads without D G Orf's Jungfrau thread, can we lose the first 2 posts from this one so it is at least 'his thread' again?
snow conditions
telford_mike, Well there's more snow once you drop below the station level but it does look as if a fair bit has blown off the flat areas, judging from the obviously wet roads in Wengen I'd say the snow there will be wet and heavy, but they have more now than yesterday, First looks like it has done the best for new Snow, I would not be surprised to see the snow in Wengen and Grindelwald vanish from the streets and rooftops over the next couple of days, but I still think more will arrive at the weekend and next week, hopefully there will be enough on the grassy slopes to not go entirely
latest report
I dont think the Jungfrau Region got a good dumping compared to others in the Alps Sad

Les Arcs
let it snow !!!!! from Band of Prod
http://vimeo.com/33269402
snow conditions
I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that the lifts near Wengen/Kleine Scheidegg/Mannlichen will not open this weekend, there's just not enough snow, the only area that looks possible is First where it actually looks from the webcams as if the Piste Basher has been making some tracks, looking at the forecasts the next week or so looks like it may give a little light snow but it is not until we get to the long range forecast that we get the possibility of a reasonably large snowfall starting around Fri 16th, as with all forecasts so far into the future this might change (probably will) as a slight change in air pressure, wind speed or direction could cause the weather to alter dramatically
snow conditions
Feel sorry for the hotels in Wengen - mine rang me to say it was snowing in the village and did I want to rebook but looking at the DHO webcam did not inspire me! We have been very unlucky so far and I am not happy!
latest report
Correct David, http://www.jungfrau.ch/winter/tourismus/skigebiet/vorteile/

No skiing until 17th Dec at the earliest.
ski holidays
skilegs wrote:
Feel sorry for the hotels in Wengen - mine rang me to say it was snowing in the village and did I want to rebook but looking at the DHO webcam did not inspire me! We have been very unlucky so far and I am not happy!

Even wengencoms twitter picture posted today is pointing upwards towards Mannlichen with a couple of roofs that still have snow on and hiding the fact that Wengen hadly has any snow.
http://twitpic.com/7q6alw

Why did the region miss out compared to others ?? Even Murren village doesn't look to healthy !
snow report
Chris Brookes, it happens sometimes, looking back it is not uncommon for Wengen to have had little or no snow right up to Christmas, the resort is not that high so it shouldn't be a great surprise and a lot of Europe seems to have had a fairly dry year in general

Of course those of you who believe that strange events have an effect on snowfall will note that I am unable to get out to Wengen this year and will thus be unable to carry out the appropriate sacrifices and intone the correct prayers to the snow gods to ensure a good snowfall, I wouldn't dream of suggesting that this has an effect on the snow but I have never been in Wengen for any length of time during the winter when there was insufficient snow
latest report
If I win the lottery this weekend I'll send a private plane for you David!!!
snow report
skilegs, LOL
Blush
ski holidays
Skiing at Mürren 07/12/11 thanks to http://www.pearsonstyle.com for sharing -

http://vimeo.com/33484297

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 12-12-11 7:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Liking these Pearsonstyle videos a lot Smile
snow report
Thanks for posting Chris - better than I imagined and just about to snow if my gut feeling is correct........
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.yr.no/place/Switzerland/Other/Berner_Oberland/long.html
snow report
skilegs, you're not wrong light snow on the DHO webcam with what looks to be heavier snowfall at Kleine Scheidegg, at least 2 inches or 5cm of snow there since I looked this morning, the current forecast for this week once again looks good with the possibility of upwards of 2 ft of fresh snow by next weekend assuming it stays cold enough, the heaviest snowfall is likely to be around Friday with the possibility of more than 1 ft or 30 cm falling at village level, in fact Tuesday looks like it may be the only clear day this week. Pretty low forecast winds should give a nice non windswept blanket of snow all over.

Further light snow combined with significantly colder temps are forecast from Saturday 17th which I believe at the moment means that the area will probably open next weekend, I'm not goinf to post my forecast for Christmas week yet as at the moment it's changing daily, the poor old computers can't seem to work out what's going to happen
latest report
Snowing down to resort (Wengen) level. Woohoo!
snow conditions
Looking at the webcams at Kleine Schidegg I'm going to say they've had at least 10cm maybe 15cm of fresh snow since this morning I don't think they are going to get much more in the area tomorrow but there should be more after that, at the moment I will stand by my earlier comment that the slopes should be open this weekend, I'm not certain that there will be enough to open the pistes down to Wengen or Grund though, but just for those who are going out early I will see if I can send a little more snow in your direction Little Angel
ski holidays
4 more sleeps Smile
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
4 more sleeps Smile

Looks like you will be in for a snow treat when you arrive then !! (Please take loads of pics for us)
ski holidays
Well I was spot on last night there was indeed 10cm of new snow up there, it's now about 30 cm deep in sheltered spots and even the exposed areas are almost covered, not enough to open the pistes yet, but if my anticipated levels of snow turn up at the end of the week there will be enough, Grindelwald barely got a dusting and even Wengen is only reporting 5cm on the Nursery slopes (actually if they still use the same spot it's a sheltered location near the bottom of the old Mannlichen cable car), today should I think still be fine, don't be surprised if the small amount of snow in front of the DHO webcam should vanish, I doubt the stuff on the Nursery slopes will, tomorrow may see a tiny bit of rain at resort level as might Thursday but Friday should still give a decent dump of snow continuing into Saturday
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
(actually if they still use the same spot it's a sheltered location near the bottom of the old Mannlichen cable car),

It's down by the crazy golf now, behind the new cable car valley station. A nice optimistic 2 metre ruler!
snow conditions
telford_mike, makes sense, less chance of avalanches there and just as unlikely to have people wandering arround

As for the depth perhaps not completely optimistic, I can certainly remember 4 ft of snow in the village the year the old cablecar station got closed down by an avalanche, but I think some time in the 1950's or perhaps early 60's they had far more, my mother (who only started going there in the 50's) told me one year they had so much snow in the village that the high street was reduced to a 4ft wide passageway through mountainous snowdrifts with just enough room for two people going in opposite direction to be able to pass, the snow came almost to the underside of the roofs of the little shops on the right of the high street as you walk up towards the Bernerhof hotel
snow report
Yeah I was there in Feb 1999, it was pretty amazing, though useless for skiing!
snow report
telford_mike, almost true, I did manage to do the whole beat the train back to the station when they ran the baby service up to the top of the Brunner slopes, not much but it got me out of the hotel Little Angel
ski holidays
D G Orf, ah that was you was it? We were tucked up in the Caprice enjoying the schocki & apfelkuchen Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy