Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
that_econ_prof wrote:
Thanks so much, telford_mike! Means a lot to me. Hello from Boston, USA.

Are you worried about the warm weather/rain over the next few days?

By the way, I have a beginner traveling with me and she is planning to learn to ski during our visit. Do you know if the village tbar lifts/beginner area is open yet (or will be within 2 weeks)? I can't find info online.

Not worried about the weather at all. A warm spell isn’t unusual and it will be followed by seasonal cold. No beginner areas are open yet, but this will change over the next few days. If you have a beginner you could do a lot worse than have lessons with Altitude ski school at Kleine Scheidegg, which is high enough to be immune from the snow line. Full disclosure, my wife works for them. https://www.altitudeskischool.com/ or call the manager Ben (English) on +41338530040
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the information and suggestion. Unfortunately I already booked with a school in Wengen, but if it doesn't work out, I will go with Altitude.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Morning all I am trying to book the Parkhaus in Lauterbrunnen for January - I've done is loads of times before but the website seems to be acting strangely and the web address looks odd - https://james.jungfrau.ch/en/products/lauterbrunnen-car-park - anybody heard anything about it? Thanks Alison
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@telford_mike, Second vote for Altitude, I learnt to ski with them. Helpful and flexible.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@alisonw44, Seems to be working when I tried it, perhaps a temporary glitch maybe
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.skiwengen.ch/

Local ski school with international instructors and ski school.area in town and Mannlichen
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had rain yesterday, along with most places in the western Alps, but this morning it turned to snow.

The village is slowly coming to life. Rocks bar opens tonight, and, as I'm sure everyone knows, we have trains to Kleine Scheidegg tomorrow, and 4 lifts open for skiing. Conditions should be really good.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Awesome to hear, thanks @telford_mike, !!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am planning on my first trip to Wengen / Jungfrau in late January. Getting excited with the weather reports so far. I have until the end of the month to commit to my reservations. Planning on 4 days skiing and 2 days toboganning - hoping the tobogann run from Faulhorn will be open.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does anyone know when piste 36 from Kleine Scheidegg back to Wengen opens -- is it usually at the same time as the ski area opens?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@that_econ_prof, Depends on snow levels, they'll aim to get it open as soon as possible, I think. I was there last year in early Jan and the warm weather meant it wasn't open at the start of the week. They soon managed to get it open.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
grumpygargoyle wrote:
@that_econ_prof, Depends on snow levels, they'll aim to get it open as soon as possible, I think. I was there last year in early Jan and the warm weather meant it wasn't open at the start of the week. They soon managed to get it open.

I was there in 2021, and it was open on Dec 15 or so -- wondering if anyone local has any insight into how that piste looks
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@that_econ_prof, there's plenty of snow already to open the home run back to Wengen. If I had to guess I'd say 9th December when Männlichen opens, as this means you can do a whole circuit of the area: up to Männlichen > ski round to Kleine Scheidegg > ski back down to Wengen and, if you fancy it, do it all again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Awesome, Mike you are the best! Thanks again
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have just received a report of "thigh -deep " powder somewhere across the region.
It's the kind of information that you don't want when it's 5 weeks before your own skiing!!!
ski holidays
@Rogerdodger, true, if our garden is anything to go by. Heaven knows how much there must be higher up Very Happy
snow conditions
Cross country ski track Lauterbrunnen - Stechelberg has opened today.
latest report
Many people skiing down to the village on beautiful snow ,Allmend restaurant open
latest report
Many people skiing down to the village on beautiful snow ,Allmend restaurant open
latest report
Jill t wrote:

Yep, we saw loads enjoying the powder.

Glorious sunny day today, loads of new snow right down to the valley floor.

View back to the village from Allmend. The restaurant was busy, despite the piste being officially closed.

snow conditions
Great set of pics @telford_mike, it's quite incredible......3rd Dec!
snow report
Stunning photos. Absolutely beautiful!
snow conditions
Gloomy at Kleine Scheidegg today. The snow’s good though, and there were very few people around.

At the moment we only have one train per hour to Scheidegg from Wengen, the usual half-hourly service starts on the 9th. Just 2 lifts open today (Arven and Eigernordwand). Rocks bar opened at the weekend, and the Crystal bar opens today. Hotels all still closed.
snow report
Very jealous, Mike! Do you know if they're grooming Maennlichen yet? I hope the service starts up as scheduled -- then the train schedule won't much matter.
latest report
@that_econ_prof, Everything seems good for Männlichen to open on the 9th - certainly the staff are optimistic. The big question will be how many pistes and lifts they open. Might be just Männlichen chair to start with, and maybe Gummi so skiers can get round to Scheidegg.
snow report
They just announced that valley runs won’t open until Dec 29. Quite late. Do we know if the Wengen chairlift will run at least before then?
snow report
^ I mean cable car lol
snow conditions
that_econ_prof wrote:
They just announced that valley runs won’t open until Dec 29. Quite late. Do we know if the Wengen chairlift will run at least before then?

I believe they mean the valley runs on the Grindelwald side. The run back to Wengen looked in good shape this morning, it should be open in the next few days.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That’s great news!! Thanks
snow report
@that_econ_prof,

This just popped up on FB.

Happy days.
latest report
That's great news! I was concerened by the website, which says:

" Latest information
Big season opening Kleine Scheidegg/Männlichen including Valley Runs Saturday, 29 December 2023."

https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/slope-data/

But I trust the facebook post. Wonderful to hear!
ski holidays
Tons of stuff open tomorrow.

ski holidays
Awesome! Mike, what about the pending warm/rain?
ski holidays
The first period of rain has arrived. It’s not terribly warm though, +2C in the village.
ski holidays
I’m thinking of booking a 5 day trip March 18 to 22 flying into Basel. Our previous trips we have hired a car from Basel and stayed in chalets at Grindelwald. But I’m thinking of Wengen this time and just skiing that side rather than First as well. Train looks like a reasonable price from the airport to Lauterbrunnen but I’d be grateful of any advice from those who know best or may have done similar. Thanks in advance.
latest report
@jirac18, this year is my second trip to Wengen, and both times we exclusively used trains. From Zurich or Basel airports, you can find trains to Interlaken Ost, including now some nonstops/no changes.

From Interlaken Ost, you can easily get trains to Grindelwald or to Wengen. (To Wengen, you must change at Lauterbrunnen to a narrow gauge, but it's very easy).

I wouldn't drive in the area -- the train rides are really amazing and go right along the Thunersee.
snow report
@jirac18, SBB Saver Day Pass is the ticket I'd recommend, it's totally flexible as regards the time of the trains you use on the day, so you're not tied to a particular time train should your flight be delayed. It covers the entire swiss railway network including some city buses, so if you fly into Basel airport it covers the bus from the airport to Basel train station and then from there all the way to Wengen. Costs from CHF52 if (like most of us) you don't have a Half Fare Travelcard.
snow conditions
Still raining here, temp now +3C. Wind howling down the chimney. Can't see the light at the top of the Männlichen cable car, so it must be snowing up there.
ski holidays
How are conditions? Will things survive the coming rain?
snow report
@that_econ_prof,

This was Männlichen this (Sunday) morning. Cold and windswept after a night of snow and wind, but plenty of coverage.

Right now in Wengen it’s +4C with light rain. Forecast is heavy precipitation for the next 2 days, with a snow line between 1800 and 2000 metres. After that the weather returns to the seasonal norm, so we'll lose a bit of cover low down over the next couple of days, but hopefully get some of it back towards the end of the week. Usual weather caveats apply Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy