Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Rogerdodger wrote:
Not wishing to be a doom and gloom monger BUT.....Jungfraubahnen will never run Wixi again. There are 2 lifts giving access to Eigergletscher, in excess of 3000 people/hour.

The Wixi chair will most certainly be running as it goes up to the Lauberhorn start hut area.

The lift which I think @DixieDean was referring to is the old Fallboden chair which starts next to the start area of the Wixi chair. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To clarify @Alastair Pink, my piece was indeed referring to Fallboden
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah ha, the Fallboden.

One of the few remaining embarrassments at Wengen, so slow as to be unbelievable (along with the Tschuggen t-bar). Seems to be very rarely open and I fancy there was a nasty accident on it many years ago and it seems to have been mothballed except for very high season since
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fallboden: I have an odd feeling that the chairs have been taken down from the cable.
If that is the case then surely the writing is on the wall!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fallboden isn't even on the piste map any more.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well spotted @denfinella, that really is "game ,set & match" for Fallboden.
Not the end of the world though. Next alteration , Tschuggen.......the t - bar that so many hate!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rogerdodger wrote:
Well spotted @denfinella, that really is "game ,set & match" for Fallboden.
Not the end of the world though. Next alteration , Tschuggen.......the t - bar that so many hate!!

Lots of fun to be had speculating about the replacement for Tschuggen. Here are the local rules of the game. You can design a gondola on that side of the mountain. It can have a middle station.

A nice solution might be a base station at the Aspen hotel, with a middle station at the top of the existing Tschuggen lift. Top station next to the top of the Lager chair.

This will never happen of course, as new pedestrian lifts need to be viable all year round. I'm sure investment in the area will continue, but it’s not really about us skiers any more. Maybe though, just maybe, Tschuggen might be replaced with a chairlift.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I see there's been a bit of snow up on the top of the Wixi! I wonder if @telford_mike is sharpening his skis?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DixieDean wrote:
I see there's been a bit of snow up on the top of the Wixi! I wonder if @telford_mike is sharpening his skis?

Earliest I can remember skiing in recent times was 3rd October 2020 at Männlichen. Loads of people went up for a slide (Covid boredom). Getting to the middle station involved a bit of walking!

Maybe August is a tad optimistic, but it’s still hammering down with rain, temp in village +7C, so who knows?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski passes available from 2nd October, with the usual discount for a season pass if purchased by 15th December. No early bird prices.

https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-ski-region/buy-skipass/#1737
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@telford_mike, thanks. I see the discounted season pass price has now risen to 850CHF (it was 777CHF for the previous two or three years).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A bit of useful information for travellers to the region using Swiss railways. I normally buy an online Saver Day Pass for my journey from the Swiss arrival airport (usually Zurich or Basel in my case) to Wengen, and previously they only went on sale 60 days prior to the date of travel. However that condition has now been relaxed so that they now go on sale up to 6 months before the date of travel, so I've just been online and bought my Saver Day Pass tickets for my Wengen trip after Christmas, 52CHF each way (without a Half Fare Travelcard). The 6 months in advance of travel sale start date now also applies to the Supersaver tickets. https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/buying-options/saving.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Switzerland Best Country (Again), Says Report, And Jungfrau Is The Most Swiss Place To Savo(u)r It All Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Birg - Schilthorn cable car will be closed for most of the winter season 2024-25.

https://schilthorn.ch/en/Infos/News

Milestones in an overview:

Opening direct connection Stechelberg – Mürren: November 2024
Opening of the route Mürren – Birg : December 2024
Opening of the route Birg – Schilthorn: March 2025 (The Schilthorn will be closed between October 2024 and March 2025!)
Finalisation of the entire project: 2026
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Schilthorn from the head of Engetal may make a really good ski tour. Providing there are some staff at Piz Gloria to serve coffee!
snow conditions
Birg above Mürren opens up from the 4th November !
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
Birg - Schilthorn cable car will be closed for most of the winter season 2024-25.

So the top of Schilthorn and the revolving restaurant will be out of action for all that time?
Will have an impact on the resort
ski holidays
DCG wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

So the top of Schilthorn and the revolving restaurant will be out of action for all that time?
Will have an impact on the resort

True, but the updated lift infrastructure will bring benefits in the long run. I guess they're taking the view "short term pain for long term gain". Madeye-Smiley
snow report
They make more money in the summer so it makes sense for the Schilthorn to close in the winter plus obviously restricted due to the weather!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 28-10-23 19:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Must be difficult to carry out building work (assuming that's why it's closed) at close to 3,000m during winter though?
snow conditions
Looks like snow and low temperatures next weekend too. Fingers crossed.
snow report
First part of the new Grütschalp to Mürren train arriving this morning.

ski holidays
@telford_mike, nice!. Very Happy
snow report
Can be seen here too, all the way upto Winteregg - https://www.instagram.com/stories/kandaharskiclub/
snow conditions
@Chris Brookes, thanks for the link, the photos are also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fondsverkehrsverein.murren

The new carriages will replace the old ones that date from 1967 and are non wheelchair accessible. Incidentally according to Wikipedia the former funicular from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp shared the same track gauge as the railway, enabling the use of the funicular to transfer rolling stock to and from the railway. Of course the old funicular was replaced by the cablecar from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp in 2006, so the carriages will now have to be taken overland up the narrow path to Winteregg, a tricky operation by the looks of it!
latest report
I don’t suppose we’ll be allowed to travel in the driver’s cab anymore.

snow report
@telford_mike, that was always a good photo/video opportunity! Very Happy
snow conditions
Reminds me of the final day of the funicular @telford_mike, the whole of Lauterbrunnen was at bottom station and Silberhorn taking pictures.
Such memories.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mürren
Insights into working as a cable car installer at the Schilthornbahn 20XX project. Marco Zurschmiede takes you on the assembly of the first support of the new Stechelberg-Mürren.

https://www.facebook.com/garaventa.official/videos/790348819513318/
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
Mürren
Insights into working as a cable car installer at the Schilthornbahn 20XX project. Marco Zurschmiede takes you on the assembly of the first support of the new Stechelberg-Mürren.

https://www.facebook.com/garaventa.official/videos/790348819513318/

Terrifying.
latest report
New non-skier season pass this winter. CHF449 or 399 with halbtax card. Covers all trains and pedestrian lifts plus Grindelwald busses, and unlimited trips to the Jungfraujoch, but not the Schilthorn.

https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-ski-region/unlimited-jungfrau-winter-pass/
latest report
Cannons running!

Link to the amazing 'see in the dark' webcam on the Lauberhorn:

https://www.jungfrau.ch/webcams/lauberhorn/#/
ski holidays
I have to find a way of getting back there for some skiing this winter, I’ve no idea how yet but seeing your images of the area always makes me want to be there! Love Jungfrau!
snow conditions
The new Wengen Shuttle will enter service on 9th December. This will run every 15 minutes to and from Lauterbrunnen, and luggage trolleys can be taken on the train. Trains up to the village have been super busy since travel resumed after Covid, so this will really help.
snow conditions
@telford_mike, apparently the Wengen shuttle can operate even when the overhead lines are not functioning as it has an onboard diesel backup generator..
https://www.facebook.com/share/v/MLBjCMJ5ydmdtWrE/
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, yes, and that caused some disquiet in the village, as running on diesel would produce a lot more noise than we get at the moment from the electric locos, not to mention exhaust emissions. Power cuts are very rare these days though - I'm actually surprised that they went to the trouble and expense to do this.
snow conditions
The Schilthornbahn has announced that in Summer 2024 they'll be adding 17 additional chairs to the Winteregg chairlift, increasing uplift capacity from 1200 to 1600 skiers/boarders per hour.
ski holidays
Looks like they're opening Kleine Scheidegg this weekend.

Will Maennlichen definitely open Dec 9? We have a booking in Wengen weekend of Dec 15, and if Maennlichen is closed, I assume the cable doesn't run?
ski holidays
that_econ_prof wrote:
Looks like they're opening Kleine Scheidegg this weekend.

Will Maennlichen definitely open Dec 9? We have a booking in Wengen weekend of Dec 15, and if Maennlichen is closed, I assume the cable doesn't run?

I'd be very surprised if it didn’t. There’s been loads of snow over the past few days, with much more to come. It's actually quite tricky to get around the village at the moment as there’s so much snow. Certainly the best start to the season since 2017.

P.S. welcome to Snowheads snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Thanks so much, telford_mike! Means a lot to me. Hello from Boston, USA.

Are you worried about the warm weather/rain over the next few days?

By the way, I have a beginner traveling with me and she is planning to learn to ski during our visit. Do you know if the village tbar lifts/beginner area is open yet (or will be within 2 weeks)? I can't find info online.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy