Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
St Agathe day

Today is the first day in the Winter / new year, that the sun passes over the top of the Toviere mountain rather that going behind it. It means there is a lot more sunlight hitting the snow front area from now on in and mentally it sort of prepares the resort to start thinking that after the next few busy weeks we are into the Spring... its the closing of one chapter of the season (the depths of Winter) and the move towards the Spring. Dont get me wrong its most definitely NOT Spring yet but its coming up on the horizon a few weeks down the line. The sun just poses a little bit of strength now in the mid afternoon so its coming!

Anyway once again today I was not working - such a run of days off for whatever reason like this is unheard of for me.

So apart from getting Olivia out the door to Club (she had the honour of skiing with the year group above today as she did so well in her racing last week) it was a chilled morning once again. Playing some games with Ben, taking him outside 'digging' - having a family breakfast and then the clear up... its been a very chilled morning it really has! The sun has once again been shining and the resort feels more in holidays mode again as there are definately more kids about - there were kids sledging all over the place on the lower slopes (even though you are not supposed to) last night too.

So I have managed to get up to speed on some more jobs that needed doing and I am about to head to collect Olivia from club and also Ben from his ski lesson... what a lovely quiet afternoon it has been! Haha!

This week is now fully booked up and then of course next week being UK half term is choka too... so here goes 68 hours teaching non stop (bar Friday afternoon when I might try and meet up with a friend who is over on holiday for the week!).

TTFN

My little construction worker hard at work this morning!

Not a cloud in the sky (again!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back on the horse

The sun was shining but it was a little chilly this morning but nothing compared to what it can be in the middle of the Winter. Clare had a leisurely day and was taking Ben to Village so I just needed to get Olivia to the meeting point for her week with Club.

So the morning was with a young chap from London here on a corporate trip. He had sensibly taken a couple of lessons at the Snow Centre in Hemel to get going ahead of this trip. However today was really his first day in the mountains and what a good day to start of with and the amazing sun. We went up to the magic carpet and after a few laps on that run we took on the Madelaine. It went well and slowly but surely his technique came on nicely. The pistes were not too busy today (I have it on good authority that Val is relatively quiet this week because this part of the French Alps doesn't attract that many holiday makers from the central belt of France - its just local race kids that are here at the moment for the most part). However you can still tell there are some 'diy' French holiday makers around - some interesting fathers 'teaching' kids to skis and it being pretty disastrous etc!

Anyway the morning session went well but they had a lunch booking at the Folie at 1400 so I carefully gave instructions (ive been doing this job long enough to know exactly how these things will pan out before they actually happen!) re having a nice rest and a drink perhaps at the Sun Bar... this would be followed (there was a determination to ski there) by taking up AND THEN WALKING DOWN THE STEPS at the top of the Olympic lift and then carefully navigating the Verte piste. Anyway I was to see later in the afternoon a few of my suggestions going wrong (shall we say). Oh well, well meaning friends and all that.

Lunch was back in my favourite bolt hole and then I met my pm session. An occasional reader of this blog and a regular visitor to Val - I think 5 weeks this season it is. So we set off and headed up Bellevarde to ignite his inner skill and get him out of his comfort zone. There was a few technical things that needed attention but generally it was about pushing him a bit more so he didnt get too stuck in his ways. There are some more technical things to work on in tomorrow's session but it was nice to see him become a bit more dynamic. We finished a few minutes early as I had tired him out - haha!

After work Clare headed off to collect the kids and I got things sorted at home like kids dinner etc.

Tomorrow should be similar to today although maybe a tiny bit colder than this morning but nothing too serious.

I have just been reading the minutes from todays council meeting and there are a few interesting points... so in no particular order:

-General annoyance about the number of private vehicles blocking up locations around town like pic up at La Daille at the days end or drop off at the Rond Pont in the morning. So this is private local vehicles as well as mini vans from companies like Hip Hideouts. I think there is going to be some sort of a focus to try and regulate and keep people moving in so things dont get blocked! They reckon there must be about 120 private registered vehicles in town apparently!
-Planning permissions and discussions. So the Folie is going to get even bigger next Summer - not sure the details but it is! If that is possible! Also the old ruins of the Toviere farm buildings above the (now defunct) Trifollet piste are going to be turned into a restaurant apparently (wowsers will take a lot of work that - as well as a lot of getting to in the future off the Verte piste!). They are also pushing ahead with the plans for the new Vallon gondola which will start somewhere next to the Signal restaurant with the cabins off the gondola being able to be stored underground under the Signal restaurant by the sounds of things too. The base building for the existing gondola will be demolished and ultimately the Fornet Cable car will be replaced by a gondola too apparently! As part of the work the Col drag lift will be demolished too.
-The building in town containing the Tourist Office will be TOTALLY refurbished this year too... they are looking at putting a whole extra floor on the building too. It will mean the whole ground floor will be redone including the offices down there as well as Radio Val studios etc. It should be quite an improvement for next Winter.

And finally I noticed (translated below for the non French speakers amongst you) the following paragraph too.... see im not the only person that thinks are getting worse out there with poorer and poorer techniques on show! NB Gerard Mattis is one of the big guns in the ESF, Patrick Martin is the mayor of Val and Cyril Bonnevie is the chief pisteur. Interesting what they are doing in Flaine - genius!

"Autre sujet évoqué par le doyen de la table, la fréquentation trop importante des pistes de ski. Gérard Mattis estime que les pistes sont moins larges cette année et que le nombre de skieurs augmente le risque de collisions. Patrick Martin annonce qu'il transmettra aux responsables de la régie des pistes, mais rappelle la qualité de neige que l'on trouve sur nos pistes en ce moment. Cyril Bonnevie affirme que les skieurs skient de plus en plus vite avec de moins en moins de technique. Il prend l'exemple de la station de Flaine en Haute Savoie qui a pris la décision de ne plus damer les pistes quotidiennement afin de laisser les bosses et ainsi ralentir les skieurs. D'après l'élu, l'efficacité est garantie même s'il comprend que de nombreux skieurs seront déçus si cette solution était retenue chez nous."

"Another subject raised by the dean of the table, the excessive attendance of the ski slopes. Gérard Mattis believes that the slopes are narrower this year and that the number of skiers increases the risk of collisions. Patrick Martin announces that he will pass on to those in charge of the piste management, but recalls the quality of snow that we find on our pistes at the moment. Cyril Bonnevie says that skiers are skiing faster and faster with less and less technique. He takes the example of the resort of Flaine in Haute Savoie, which decided to no longer groom the slopes daily in order to leave the bumps and thus slow down the skiers. According to the chosen one, the efficiency is guaranteed even if he understands that many skiers will be disappointed if this solution were chosen with us. "

TTFN

Quite liked this photo from the groomers last night

Quite a difference from the old Brussels
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Steve Angus,
Interesting on not bashing every piste every night. I seem to remember that was the case until European resorts started copying the North American resorts, the latter using the fact that they bashed every piste every night as a selling point.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Steve Angus, getting a bit worried about the warmth for half-term! any on-the-ground experience you can share with conditions like these? was hoping for some fresh snow but at this point I Will be happy with lifts that are up and running (not affected by strike action) and snow that isn't slush Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kenzie - yea I think it has a little merit. A little. However I was reflecting on my time earlier when I first started teaching on snow out in Whistler, Canada 20+ years ago... I remember thinking how places like that are run a little like a theme park in comparison to Europe.... much of Europe are now being run like theme parks themselves.
mwhalber - it'll 10000000% be just fine. The pistes won't turn to slush. Combination of sun not getting high enough in the sky, altitude, snow temp itself and many other factors such as slope orientation means there will be no issue. There will still be some wintery powder available if you are prepared to do lots of walking too. So fear not.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Steve Angus, wooohooo! Can't wait! Thanks!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chilly

Apparently the wind was howling in the middle of the night - I didnt hear it personally but Clare was woken by it. Anyway it had calmed down a little by breakfast time thankfully and with the same plan for the kids today as yesterday it was go, go. The only real difference was that I was taking Ben to Village as opposed to Olivia to the meeting point.

However I did notice that the temps were colder than they had been. Just a couple of degrees thats all. Anyway I headed up with my am team to the Bellevarde and it was a noticeable cold wind that was the issue. I wouldnt say it was windy but enough that you wanted to get your head down on the lifts! Anyway my team was a lively bunch from Scotland. The 5 of them all skied at pretty much the same level and were recent retirees which meant they had a wealth of skiing experience on calm shoulders shall we say. Working initially on east terrain and polishing up a few elements of their technique we ended up doing a few laps of Fontaine Froide. It was a solid session and as the sun got stronger it made things a little warmer! It was refreshing to have people that understood plenty about the trials and tribulations of how the ski industry and technique has changed / is changing etc.

I grabbed lunch as normal before heading out for the pm session. It was the same booking as yesterday afternoon so I left off from where we were yesterday. There was a lot of talk about the initiation of the turn yesterday so we needed to look at the second half of the turn today. I think I balanced up the need for increased performance with not over doing it energy wise which meant he lasted the full 3 hours quite nicely.

Tomorrow we shall look at how to deal with lumps and bumps as he will be back in a few weeks time when it may well be quite slushy and bumpy out there.

Meanwhile on the mountain the new week and therefore the 'next' Tuesday came around which means the next round of the national strike action. So a little more momentum than last week. As far as I know there was very little effect here in Val - I certainly did not see any problems / lift closures or anything but then again I only skied a handful of lifts up Bellevarde all day. Over in Tignes there was about half a dozen lifts that were affected and it was slightly more than last time but again nothing that would spoil your day I wouldnt say! There were alternatives e.g. Fresse closed so you could come up from Val Claret via Bollin then Tuffs!

Meanwhile Ben was skiing with his friends from Village again - I saw him bomb past at about 100mph on the way to the petit cross with his group and then Olivia was on Club all day including lunch at a restaurant on the mountain - she loved the burger they were given! In the afternoon she had the Flèche GS race on the Raye stade. It wasnt her best day but she got the silver time... a couple of the kids got the gold time but those were both the boys in her group. She was reasonably happy with the result but hopefully next time she will get the gold time.

After work Clare was off to do the torchlit descent - apparently it was the iciest she has ever seen it... in fact I have heard from a few colleagues who were less than impressed with the conditions up there. Glad I was doing kid duty at home.

So im rather tired this evening so will sign off for now.

TTFN

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Steve Angus, Interesting that the courtesy van situation was brought up at the recent town council meeting. I’ve seen the police at the bottom of the La Daille gondola twice recently trying to control the problem and persuade the drivers to use the area across the bridge near the Funival instead. Tonight I counted 8 vans at the lift pass office waiting for clients plus a further 4 at the Roséé, add in the inebriated from the Folie plus the totally gormless it is chaotic around 5pm.

Also thank Clare for her patience and valiant attempt with our guests over the past few days.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
muppet wrote:
@Steve Angus, Interesting that the courtesy van situation was brought up at the recent town council meeting. I’ve seen the police at the bottom of the La Daille gondola twice recently trying to control the problem and persuade the drivers to use the area across the bridge near the Funival instead. Tonight I counted 8 vans at the lift pass office waiting for clients plus a further 4 at the Roséé, add in the inebriated from the Folie plus the totally gormless it is chaotic around 5pm.

Also thank Clare for her patience and valiant attempt with our guests over the past few days.

Thanks - have passed that onto Clare. Had a nice chat with D in the bus yesterday when bumped into her... small world not only Ayrshire but Girvan at that.!!! haha!

Re the vans.... yes the area over the bridge is not that convenient for most people thats the issue! It is getting out of control down here you are right.... and then the gormless on top with the Folie lot - it is pretty bonkers you're right! On the gormless point - there are far too many in general... I always note that people come on ski holidays (im sure its most holidays actually!) and leave all common sense behind... e.g walking in the middle of the road / standing in the middle of the open door on the bus so no-one can get past... etc. Doh!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Steve Angus,
Plenty of gormless seasonnaires if I recall, especially trusitiferians or workers straight out of fee paying schools. Many seemed to think that they'd do what they like & everyone else would work around them. Perhaps that'd been their life experience until then. Admittedly some of them were somewhat near normal.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rush

Ben had the day out of ski boots today (although I bumped into his group this afternoon and his friends were missing him as they headed off piste this afternoon (yes I know!) but Olivia was training Super G this morning and then slalom this afternoon so needed to swap skis and get her shin guards on - she was very excited about putting those on.

Anyway the leader of the corporate group I was due to teach this morning had messaged me in the middle of the night (see what I mean (above) about people forgetting they are on holiday and doing slightly strange things)) to say that he was not sure how many people would make it to the session this am for 'guiding'. Anyway one person confirmed they were coming on time (it turns out he was much more interested in skiing (knows Val well)) than partying. So after dropping Olivia at the meet point I met my guy and we only had 2 hours and we decided on a blast with some tips thrown in. So we headed to Breviere and back via Palafour in that time and on the way back did some moguls work on Tommeuse. Quite a fast blast in 2 hours there and back I must say! Fun!

So finishing earlier than planned I had a little ski for myself which is quite unique in itself and then ran an errand in town (which took longer than planned) before watching the Womens Super G from the World Ski Champs in Meribel / Courcheval on Eurosport at the Sun Bar for a short while before heading up for the pm session with the same guy as the last couple of days.

I must say I was glad the temps were a little warmer today mainly because there was no breeze and in the afternoon sun today it was jolly pleasant! Anyway the plan for the afternoon was learning how to deal with lumps and bumps on the mountain. So we did some drills on the piste and utilised some ridge lines I dont normally use down the sides of 3J and Verte which was a nice change (in this job you find (well I do anyway!) you do the same drills and runs / lifts quite a lot!). I didnt want to spend too much time on Tommeuse as its such a death trap of a run sometimes it really is! Alas after a couple hours and some great improvements his legs were starting to tire so we changed plans and did a little carving instead so headed to the Grand Pre - always a good spot for carving work.

A nice afternoon.

So one thing that I did notice today was that the SAF heli-medic helicopter (the big white one for those who know with the flying doc on board!) came into the snow park area not once but twice in as many days... admittedly yesterdays crash was actually on the tuck down the flats TOWARDS the Marmots lift from Verte area. So yesterdays pick up was from the bottom of the park and todays was slightly further up in the park - frequent flyer points for the pilot to that location! Anyway at the same time the heli was picking up there, another collection by the local SAF chopper was happening on the Orange piste. All go... it was like a heli port up Bellevarde for a while this pm. One thing you notice is that after a long period of time without snow that injuries out there change - partly as the hard pack snow means people find it harder to control speed and line etc.

Meanwhile the Oakley freestyle event was on at the snowpark today (pic below) and I dont know if it was just a demonstration thing (think it was) but there was also a HUGE jump built at the bottom of the steep bit and outside the Folie. Didnt see any of the jumping going on but there would have been cool to see I should think.

So Clares mum (our helping hand / babysitter) is arriving tomorrow afternoon for 10 days so that will be nice. She is on our sofa for the time therefore not sure how long and elaborate my evening updates shall be - we shall see.

TTFN

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Cold again

It was all systems go this morning (and for some reason I hadn't slept that well last night for some reason!) as Clare was working all day, Ben needed to get to kids club and Olivia to ski club. Actually on days like this its not too bad as Clare is up slightly earlier and we get ahead of the game early!

Anyway I dropped Olivia and headed to the meet point. It was chilly this morning - coldest day of the week by far but it will get warmer slightly moving forward. My am slot was a guy that I actually taught last year - he is here on the corporate trip again with his insurance company. Last year was his first time ever skiing and I had him for one lesson last year (his corporate trip is 3 days long) and got him on the big magic carpet. So today we headed up and worked on the big carpet once again. Sometimes people just struggle with co-ordination and all the elements needed to turn... and of course the brain thinks it knows better. So there was a lot of body twisting and leaning into the turn which we needed to correct. After a couple of hours we had made good changes on the carpet (that first hour is great when there is no one about and we go lots of laps in). Later on it got busier but he also got a little tired. Ultimately we finished a little earlier as he was tired. He / we hope that we might get up Madelaine tomorrow but I know that the brain trying to do the right thing might get in the way. Time will tell.

I took lunch at the Sun Bar again watching the mens Super G. What a race that was.... well done to Jack and Mark Tilston his coach - another great British skiing export!!!! I met with an old school friend of mine I have only seen once in the last 25 years for lunch with his wife at Sun Bar. It was nice catching up and hearing his news. I dont think his little 4 year old by the sounds of things was having much fun in the ESF pen in Tignes unfortunately!

Anyway the afternoon I had my seasonnaire team. One couldnt come for some reason, one had a poorly knee (!!!!!! - I told her she needs to get it checked out as her description of what happened to it (pain and then the pain quickly disappeared) is not a good sign) and then 3 of the others needed to leave after an hour or so. Anyway there had been a lot of talk that the seasonnaires wanted me to get them down the Face for the first time... they only wanted to do it with me as they trust me to get them down it. I explained that it was not a good time (yet) to do it as it is very icy out there... so lets hope the weather is good and we get one more chance at it after half term when the last session happens.

Yea so I think at the moment the pistes are getting jolly icy out there - firm is an understatement. As we move into half term I think there could be some nasty accidents happening out there - slow it all down folks and take a chill pill!

At the end of the day I skied down to La Daille and briefly saw Graham Bell. I guess he is doing some guest coaching here or something. Living off his famous name! Good luck to him.

Clares mum arrived for 10 days today too... so with Olivia back from club (she was doing stubbies today so loved having her shin guards on) and I collected Ben from kids club it was off home and much excitement and some presents all round! All good!

Tomorrow I am only teaching in the morning then doing some admin in the afternoon before half term madness starts.

TTFN
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Steve Angus, good to catch up with your thread again. I’ve been in the Dolomites on the 2 Bashes.

Picking up on how icy you say it is in Val D and Tignes. I realise I may be comparing apples and pears, but there’s been virtually no ice out here around the Sella Ronda area. That’s despite temperatures being consistently below freezing throughout and down to about -17c at the lowest.

The iciest situations have been the exit from some chairlifts and village streets, some of which are treacherous.

Is piste grooming deteriorating in Val D’Isere? Do they think a degree of iciness helps maintain the ‘tough and challenging’ brand? Is it just the local microclimate?

My impression is that ‘high levels of iciness’ is pretty high up on the reasons people don’t enjoy their ski trip and may be reluctant to return.

Oh and well done to Olivia and Ben, who are clearly going to be leaving you behind on the slopes soon wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeakyB, Two things come to mind. Race prep on Face for eg. And the torrential rain a few weeks back.

Over the last couple of weeks the Face has been as slick as I can remember it. If you ride up the Olympic gondola later in the afternoon and look at the first steep pitch (below Lemmings Leap) you can see large patches of blue ice glinting in the sunlight. Rhone Alps was also much more of a challenge.

Combine these factors with high skier numbers (90% capacity in January), I don't the standard of Piste bashing is an issue. You can push some snow back over the ice, but it isn't going to stay there with thousands of skiers on the hill.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GeorgeVII wrote:
...And the torrential rain a few weeks back.

Mostly this, the warmer conditions / high freezing level for the early season coupled with large amounts of precipitation. Rather than lay down a good base of snow, a thick layer of ice has been laid down instead. As you rightly point out, large volumes of traffic, again driven by poor conditions in lower resorts have only added to the situation. Even the best efforts by the pisteurs will quickly get scraped off.

The reds down into Le Brev in Tignes are the same at the moment in places.
snow conditions
@PeakyB,
Lots of people with poor technique leads to the snow being scraped off the pistes - often leads to the 'best' snow being at the sides of the pistes.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 10-02-23 18:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
PeakyB - thanks. No dont think grooming getting worse in Val. Nothing about maintaining a tough and challenging brand no. And no to the microclimate! Yes ice certainly puts people off thats for sure. And yes they will be leaving us behind all too soon. Haha!
GeorgeVII - yes both those things will have had an impact! But as you say the numbers of skiers is the biggest factor ultimately!
NoMapNoCompass - yup!

but I think Kenzie you are the closest.

I know I am not the most eloquent person when it comes to writing and to be honest would love to write my thesis (preferably in the Summer when I a) have time and b) people could read it and we could have a proper discussion about it) on something like that... I have theories but then again it ties in to my overall impression and thoughts on how this industry is developing / changing etc. But anyway (and please try and link my thought pattern together where my words fail me) here goes.

Ice is ultimately there because the groomed snow has been scraped away.
Its been scraped away because numbers of slope users on the mountain.
Its worse in certain locations and altitudes and this is partly because of the rain / snow limit we had and temps etc.
Snow grooming is snow grooming at the end of the day.
But certainly if technique is not strong enough a skier users the second half of the turn to 'control' speed and direction.
People often attracted to Val / Tignes etc by the 'badge of honour' and the so called challenge of the pistes...
... and crucially this doesnt mean their up to that standard.
With a high price tag of the resort there is often plenty of 'all the gear and no idea' going on.
Its not helped with 'keeping up with the Joneses' going on and the 'blind leading the blind'.
Add in a bit of bravado / testosterone and everyone trying to outshine each other no matter their standard and you get a perfect storm.
You could call it a case of 'victim of own success' I suppose.

But all in all if you want my candid opinion I think if the industry could stop portraying itself as it does (how many people decide they need 5 different types of ski / get so brand or kit obsessed in the belief that spending £1000 on the very best ski suit but after one lesson decide that they will hack their way down a red run is sensible / go-pro's on selfie sticks / 'how many km's you have skied before lunchtime' app's!), take a deep breath and actually 'chill' somewhat everyone would stop trying to charge around out of control like a bunch of idiots scrapping the snow off. Dare I say and without sounding a little bit like an old man but the carnage created by nightclubs on the mountain etc dont help!

So getting back to the original point about why is it icy out there... well 'we' all help create that ice in some small (or not so small) way or another - and potentially without even coming to Val d'Isere.

I could go on
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, Don’t forget the snowboarders doing Face on one edge all the way down acting as reverse piste badgers wink wink wink
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@Steve Angus, Don’t forget the snowboarders doing Face on one edge all the way down acting as reverse piste badgers wink wink wink

Oh yea.

Whats the difference between (I can say this being a board instructor too without fear of being boarder backlashed!) between a beginner snowboarder and a snowboard instructor..... about 2 hours. haha! (as soon as you can side slide on a board you can get down anything mentality!)
ski holidays
Catching up

When the in law is in town its great as we have another pair of hands, the kids are happy not having to listen to us moaning to them all the time BUT what it does it throw our schedule out a little. With S sleeping on the sofa my evenings of catching up on admin just doesn't happen. So today and before the onslaught of the feb hols I have tried to use this afternoon to get on top of my list.

The kids were awake a little earlier than planned this am... lots of excitement about having Granny here as you can imagine.

It was once again a chilly start but from tomorrow onwards the temps should rise to probably slightly ABOVE (whereas they have been slightly BELOW) seasonal averages! Anyway wrapping up warm (I probably put too many layers on in the end!) I headed off with a nervous Olivia. Today she had a chamois slalom race at 1100 (more on that in a moment!) on the stade.

Anyway again it was the same guy as yesterday morning and its nice being up the mountain nice and early before the crowds arrive. We continued to work hard on the long magic carpet and slowly but surely it came together.

However two things really got my goat a little today... one was a certain ski school deciding to conduct a mock avalanche rescue with probes out and all sorts with his client IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MAIN MAGIC CARPET PISTE. I mean where do you start to consider the implications of that... what a plonker. And you wonder why certain ski schools etc might get a bad name! The other was that there is conserving energy and not running (in this case the 2nd big magic carpet up from Madelaine) a lift and plain annoying people that are paying good money. There was a moment when the queue was MASSIVE yet the second carpet was still not running. I just think little things like that annoy people and for a so called 'premium' resort things should be better than that!

So we didnt quite get on the Madelaine today but he'll be back next year so perhaps next time!

Being on a corporate trip, all expenses etc, he decided that after a heavy night last night, still being on the work clock, he decided that come 1100 he needed to finish up. So that was the premature end to my day work wise - not worrying too much though as could get down to watch Olivia race!

Slalom racing is a tough one compared to GS at an entry level. Anyway of all the kids in her cohort at Club (about 20 of them something like that) about half didnt get a ranking result, one got silver (none gold), and a few bronze.... Olivia was one of them. So although she was disappointed she neednt be - go girl!

Being a big birthday of Clares mum, Clare had booked the day off so treated them both to a massage and spa morning followed by lunch out. It meant I could head home and get on top of a few things whilst they were out. I have also managed to catch up on some recorded TV programs!

So tomorrow I start the long 7 day 'usual' half term family I teach... they have just messaged to say they have arrived in town but the two grown up kids I am teaching won't be in until much later after midnight tonight so it will be a 1000 start tomorrow. Oh well not to worry - haha!

On the roads tomorrow (and this evening for those leaving) it will be CARNAGE out there. Just go stupid early or late tomorrow and do yourself a favour if you can - or better still do Sunday if you can - much more civilised!

Just one line open

And the queue was massive!

Yes thats the one - in the middle of the slopes with transceivers etc out... why not do it just to the side of the piste - much better and easier and safer and more sensible!

Nice and quiet up there first thing!

TTFN
snow conditions
Steve Angus wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

Oh yea.

Whats the difference between (I can say this being a board instructor too without fear of being boarder backlashed!) between a beginner snowboarder and a snowboard instructor..... about 2 hours. haha! (as soon as you can side slide on a board you can get down anything mentality!)

2 whole hours? I assume apre-ski is involved! Toofy Grin
snow report
Are the hard packed runs just down to meteorology? The comparison made above is with the Dolomites. Most years the western alps receive far more natural snow than the Dolomites. That snow comes off the Atlantic and can sometimes be rather wet particularly if mixed with rain. When it gets compressed it tends to squeeze out the air but traps the water which can turn to hard pack, particularly on steeper slopes where it get scraped.
In the Dolomites the skiing is predominantly on artificial snow. As long as the snow is made in dry air and it doesn’t subsequently rain it seems to provide a dry surface that persists into the season. It takes an edge rather well and doesn’t seem to get icy? The Dolomite resorts piste their slopes every night using the milling rollers on their ‘Badgers’ Laughing one of the reasons they might do that is to put air back into the piste surface to prevent compaction ?
By the end of the season their snow must have rather a lot of wax in it !
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Are the hard packed runs just down to meteorology? The comparison made above is with the Dolomites. Most years the western alps receive far more natural snow than the Dolomites. That snow comes off the Atlantic and can sometimes be rather wet particularly if mixed with rain. When it gets compressed it tends to squeeze out the air but traps the water which can turn to hard pack, particularly on steeper slopes where it get scraped.
In the Dolomites the skiing is predominantly on artificial snow. As long as the snow is made in dry air and it doesn’t subsequently rain it seems to provide a dry surface that persists into the season. It takes an edge rather well and doesn’t seem to get icy? The Dolomite resorts piste their slopes every night using the milling rollers on their ‘Badgers’ Laughing one of the reasons they might do that is to put air back into the piste surface to prevent compaction ?

Wow quite intriguing!
snow report
Peter S wrote:

Wow quite intriguing!
snow report
@Steve Angus, thanks for your fascinating answers about the ‘iciness’ issue. It seems to have prompted a good debate with other snowHeads too.

Every cloud has a silver lining. The private medical centres must be raking in the money.
snow conditions
Just catching up on the blog. Interesting on the scraped pistes. I’m a snowboarded and having tried to learn to ski recently it’s much easier to snowboard the 2 hr joke made me laugh. It’s very true the ‘ can get down it mentality’ on one edge.

I do always think as I go down the side of a scraped piste on my snowboard I’m helping redistribute the snow back to the centre of the piste!

I was in flaine a few weeks back and did notice they hadn’t posted everything overnight. I don’t think their logic works though as people just stay off those pistes and go to the groomed ones so I don’t think that logic works ! We just thought they were cost cutting!
snow report
The get down it mentality exists at all levels, not just boarders. Last week we were out with a group of friends of mixed ability. My self and my wife are intermediate/advanced who are trying to improve our carving as stuff get's steeper. We had an instructor for a few days and had some really rewarding sessions bringing on our technique. By contrast we have some friends who are only interested in the blacks and not the 'easy blues and reds'. They get down those blacks stemming from edge to edge with regularly stops, no interest in getting better. The success of their trip is measured by the number of blacks runs, kms skied and of course, max speed. I despaired.
ski holidays
PeakyB - there is a lot of money being made by the docs yes - even today I spotted 3 blood wagons coming down from Solaise ALONE before 1100!
therock - yes if you scrape the snow back to the centre always helps... I dont think skiers or boarders in particular are responsible for pushing the snow to the side! Just think Flaine will have a plan as to which to piste and which not too! Well hopefully.
NoMapNoCompass - FOR SURE it exists for skiers and boarders alike totally!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its started

The day started a little earlier than planned with Ben coming for a cuddle... but since I had gone to bed really early it didnt matter.

Clare was starting at 0900 but since my family didnt arrive (well some of them) until stupidly early hours I was starting at 1000. The kids were with their granny today so they didnt need to be dressed so it was a pretty civilised start to the day all in all. The temps were once again pretty low but it was always going to warm up pretty quickly today and again you can feel the energy of the sun trying to come through - it won't be long until Spring is upon us.

Anyway it was lovely to see them again... we reflected that this is the 17th year in a row I have taught them.... A the youngest was only 2 when I first met him and his older brother 6 so now this will be the last half term they HAVE to come at this time of the year. They are probably going to come for a family trip now in early January instead they think. Fine by me!

I suppose ill need to get a new 'regular' booking for half term now. I just can't believe it will be the end of an era.

Anyway I headed to their hotel in town and we sorted the lift passes and kit rental out and then decided to head the Solaise / Fornet way for the day all together. Being a Saturday it was pretty quiet up there but still a little busier than it should be... tomorrow it will most definately NOT be quiet - the resort are reckoning on nearly 100% capacity all in all! Some 30k skiers over the 2 resorts - WOW!

So we pottered around / did some technique / had a laugh / chatted etc. The pistes were in really nice condition and when you have all the time in the world its nice actually to try different runs and do things you wouldnt normally do... e.g. at one point this afternoon we skied the little piste (god knows what its called - Pays Desert Im guessing) down to the Pays Desert drag!

Lunch was at the Cascades restaurant.... when we first arrived at 1330 (I thought that would be late enough that we might miss the crowds) and bearing in mind it was a Saturday and all the way up there.... the queue was out the door! Eeek! So we did another lap and came back at 1400... much less busy!

So what a great first day it was.... all the better when I get to drop my skis and boots at their hotel for the night too. Awesome!

Anyway I headed home and Clare and I took charge of our own kids again too - haha! Bath, tea and bed time.

On the roads it was carnage out there but at least 2 things didnt happen, 1) blockading of the N90 - the queues would have been 10 times worse if that had happened and 2) snow etc... no chance of that! However it was another strike day out there - not that much was happened! There is another one on Thursday apparently but lets hope there is a little / no impact at all (again!).

TTFN

ski holidays
Interesting situation in La Daille this afternoon/evening.
Twenty plus police were stationed at the Funival bus stop/van stop and every transfer bus entering town was pulled aside and a sniffer dog was then sent through the luggage compartment (couldn’t see if it was also sent in amongst the passengers)
snow report
muppet wrote:
Interesting situation in La Daille this afternoon/evening.
Twenty plus police were stationed at the Funival bus stop/van stop and every transfer bus entering town was pulled aside and a sniffer dog was then sent through the luggage compartment (couldn’t see if it was also sent in amongst the passengers)

Hmmmm interesting. Obviously decided want to keep the resort a lot ‘cleaner’ this year or something!
ski holidays

You know its half term when there is a long queue for ski hire at 'ours' at this early hour on a Sunday morning!

Millionaires row in Les Carrats area at the side of La Face

This is the avalanche barrier above the Banane area to protect the Joseray part of town - in case the Clochetons couloirs to the side of La Face slide

Bearing in mind its Feb HT I could still find my team an empty piste or 10 today!

Love this view of Tignes 1800 (Boisses) en route to Brev

Not as busy as I thought it would be

It was a relaxed start to the day as the kids didnt wake us up too early... they did come in to wake granny up though but it wasnt too early! With Clare and I both working at 0930 we got out the door in good time as the buses and things are always overflowing at the start of the school hols like today! The plan was for the kids to have another day with granny and for them all to go out for lunch together and boy it sounds like they had a lovely time.

Anyway the temps were the usual cold after another clear night but soon started to warm up as the sun was shining hard. Anyway I headed to the hotel and we got kitted up. There was only 4 of them today as the 5th was a little hungover to be out the door first thing.

The first thing I worried about was how busy it might be to get up the main lifts but much to my surprise it was not that busy at all. So it was double chair up option and then we made the most of the quiet(ish) slopes for the first hour or so and did some green triangle action. The snow conditions were awesome actually.

With the 5th member of the team now caught up with us we headed towards Val Claret and intentionally skied over lunch time and towards Brev. All morning long I was surprised that it was not too mega busy out there at all!

We headed to Brev and as usual had an amazing lunch at L'Armailly - always good in there.

The litmus test on the way back would be if the red coming back from La Soli into Le Lac would be firm and bumpy or soft and bumpy or softish and bumpy... always get a good idea how the slopes will / won't hold up going forward on that run back... will we be getting a taste of Spring soon or not. The answer was - well not too bad at all - a little softer lower down but NOTHING to worry about.

I dropped my gear off and headed home to crack on with this evenings list.

Sounds like the roads yesterday were totally bonkers out there yesterday especially with the protest in Albertville too.

Anyway TTFN
snow report
Steve Angus wrote:
as usual had an amazing lunch at L'Armailly - always good in there.

Indeed, a properly run family restaurant, great service, value & actual real french food (surprisingly rare round these parts). It's gone straight into our top 3 this season (other two being Pignatta & Triffolet, since you ask).
snow report
@Steve Angus, great photos! snowHead
snow report
I’ve come back to reading this. *Many thanks* for the local commentary and resort colour since you’ve started writing. We’ re on our fourth family (my fifth) trip to Espace Killy and reading these write ups makes me feel like know the place even more than just as a 1 week/year skier now.

On the police front. We are in the PetV at La Daille and shared a lift with some Gendarmes today going up to see about a call they’d had. Very strange.
latest report
Dr John - glad you are a fan too... love it there. So very different from everything else in these parts too. Rarely get to the Pignatta or Triffolet either for that matter!
moosepig - thanks! Ill try and continue!
AndrewBailey - ahhhh thanks glad you enjoy! Ill continue! Hmm interesting re the Gendarmes... I assume you mean the lift in the building as opposed to a ski lift! We live in the P&V La Daille... thats where I am typing now.

Another gorgeous day

It was all go first thing this morning as Clares mum turned 70 today so the kids were bouncing around with balloons and singing etc. By 0700 all the lights were on the kettle boiled and cards and presents all opened!

After that it seemed nice and easy getting ready as the sun came up. It was going to be another sunny and reasonably warm day... the slopes were going to be busy thats for sure!

I jumped on the bus to town and heard on the grapevine that Snowberry on the high street had had a break in overnight! As I got off the bus I went to see my friends there and ask what had happened. I think it was a spur of the moment break in as they had broken the wooden panel at the bottom of the main door and climbed in... they dont think anything was stolen but a wall and some furniture etc was damaged - hmmmmm random. Anyway the Gendarmes were on site doing finger printing etc.

The bus and streets were busy I must say and the hotel the family are staying in seemed heaving. Anyway we headed off into the sun and hatched a plan to head to Tignes glacier via the 'wrong' way around the world. We decided NOT to do the double chair option and take the hit on the Olympic queue instead - fair enough! It was as bonkers as I can remember that first bit down to the start of the Verte - totally bonkers... I always say to beginners its a bit like passing your driving test and then immediately being placed in Picccadilly Circus in London at rush hour - not pleasant! You always, and even more so today, have to have about 20 sets of eyes looking 360 around you. What a nightmare start to the day for most people that is. Anyway we got going and I did an intentional tactical triple ski of Borsat knowing that the ski school line would be nothing as all the groups would be ahead of us.... so we got in 3 quick laps of that before (attempting to head to Tignes).

I got that one wrong as there were lots of groups heading back to Tignes and the Tommeuses was also having a few issues... so was a bit stop / start. Then it stopped for a while when we were in the ski school line which was VERY VERY VERY long anyway. After a few mins it got going but the turnstils stopped working - we were to hear that the whole back end server from lumiplan for the whole of Tignes had temporarily gone down... so with those buggered we all had to go AROUND the turnstiles which meant the public and ski school lines all got merged and it was just chaos. Ultimately we did finally get up but it was frustrating 30 mins!

We continued our laps and enjoyed a late break at the Palet restaurant for a drink... its great in there as you can get a snack lunch of quiche etc from the coffee counter with NO queue even at lunchtime during school hols - well worth knowing about. I hardly ever go in there but the queue for the proper lunch queue was massive but grabbing a drink and a snack etc - super quick and easy at about 1230!!!!!!!

We continued towards our target of getting a late table at the Panoramique and were in luck getting a lovely table in the sun. Boy we had a feast of a lunch - incredible but not cheap food. Just when we thought we had had the feast of a lifetime we were presented with a HUGE pile of Macaroons as a complimentary desert..... non of us could barely walk when we left the place!

We made our way back to Val via the lovely Genepy piste which was in great nick and as we did yesterday we played the 'Face game'. We downloaded on the Olympic and as we went down it was a 'nearest wins' game of how many people we would see falling over as they skied the Face.... well for the second day running it was 14 people that hit the deck.

After dropping my gear at the hotel I headed home and got an hour as Clare was out with her brother and his family who are in town finishing off a nice lunch of their own to celebrate their mothers birthday.... and then they all went back to their chalet for a swim too.... sounds like a pretty nice day by all accounts!

So just doing a few jobs this end before heading to bed.

TTFN

They've been doing a fair amount of snow farming all over the place of recent.... basically sweeping snow from the off piste onto the pistes to increase coverage - like here under the Vanoise Chair here in Tignes.

Another quiet piste!

Carnage at Tommeuses - see above!
snow report
@Steve Angus,

+1 great pics Smile

Quote:

The day started a little earlier than planned with Ben coming for a cuddle

Relish it...won't last much longer wink

Quote:

The litmus test on the way back would be if the red coming back from La Soli into Le Lac would be firm and bumpy or soft and bumpy or softish and bumpy.

This innocent red piste always seems more difficult than it looks, especially towards the bottom where it joins Almes (I think) blue. Puzzled
latest report
Ah ha. P&V La Daille. Hope you’ve a bigger place to live in than the tiny box we’re stuck in. Gendarmes were going up to floor 4 at 3.15 when I called it a day (the first to last lift life left me a long time ago). Right hand lifts block. Not your floor I suppose.
ski holidays
Hi guys. Sorry been a bonkers day today culminating with dinner out at their hotel with my HT family so in a VERY rare occurance won’t make a post this evening. Hope to ‘catch up’ tomorrow evening. Sorry.
latest report
Never any need for you to apologise, Steve.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy