Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Gonna try and post some photos as often as possible so everyone can see what the conditions are in Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy... will try and do it as often as possible. So here goes.

Thursday 24th November and this is what it was like on the Tignes Glacier today - pretty good (honestly) - if only it was lower down it would be even better!

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steve Angus, That's great, thanks for posting. Very Happy Do you have any insider info on the links with Val D and what may/may not be open/accessible by the weekend?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey Steve how you doing, I was in your class at Hemel. Are you coaching in Val? Hope to be here this season again and need a hand with some stuff. Bit of a coincidence actually cos today Hemel sent me a list of classes and was wondering if you were there still. What is a safe month to book Val, last year I booked last minute with Mark Warner and was lucky, but would prefer to book in advance.

Paul Keene
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi Schuss in Boots the official word from the Val tourist office is that the link Val / Tignes WILL NOT be open this weekend. They are planning on opening most of the runs at the top of the Solaise and likewise above the Fornet and up onto the Val glacier. Obviously skiing down into town will not happen. They have been making snow on the Le Face nonstop as the World Cup is supposed to be coming down there in a few weeks time. The whole of the Bellevarde sector is in limbo whether they are going to open as the snow looks OK but I think they are concentrating their efforts on Solaise and Fornet at the moment. So don't expect the link to open this weekend but perhaps early next week. HOWEVER Val are offering special €23 lift passes this weekend to encourage people to come skiing!

Hi also cyberil. Good to hear from you. Yep I teach for The Development Centre (www.tdcski.com) here in Val d'Isere in the Winter months (have been back out here for about a month now). Last year December was the best month of the season I reckon but it does vary. January is traditionally the quietest month and the snow solid and deep but it depends what sort of skiing you are after. Saying all that I was still teaching into May this year so you never know with Val as the season is so long. Drop me an email on fresh@freshchalets.co.uk (my little chalet business out here) and ill answer any other questions you may have. Take care. Steve
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another lovely day up the Motte. With the French team (some in the photo below going up the steps for the Grand Motte cable car) doing Super G and GS training AND no lift queues - what more could we want.

Last day for me today with Jan and Marilyn and boy did they ski well today - well done you two!

More sun forecast for the next few days but Val d'Isere officially opens tomorrow and Fresh Chalets first guests arrive tonight - yeehaa!

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Steve Angus, Many thanks for the info. Very Happy Due out in Tignes tomorrow with the PSB crowd, so very helpful. Shame about the link, but will keep fingers crossed for early next week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well we opened one way or another. No skiing for me today as was doing the Geneva run and it was such a nice drive today through Annecy! This is the view from town... snow on the peaks only but when you get up there everyone looks like they are having some fun.

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another glorious day in the mountains. Spent the day up Solaise and Fornet and the snow was awesome higher up... still lacking lower down obviously but non-the-less a good day. Every conceivable ski manufacturer, boot supplier and clothing company had a stand at the annual ski test (see the photo). Enjoyed the cruising on pretty empty slopes and no lift queues.

*****STOP PRESS***** Snow is forecast for the end of this week - a good dump of it that should not only freshen things higher up but start to turn the brown and green lower slopes into white fluffy playgrounds! Fingers crossed!

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BREAKING NEWS.... sad news to see that Bananas Bar went up in flames this afternoon - the whole of town was choking in smoke. Doesn't appear as if there are any casualties but the fire brigade and police were still there 3 hours later damping it all down... hopefully the place will not be too badly damaged and can rise from the ashes!

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's a shame, Bananas is (was) a fun bar.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lovely day ski testing on the Grand Motte on my new sponsors skis - Kneissl - yeehaa - they were awesome. Snowwise it is same as same as and fingers still crossed for snow later this week.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh no. That was one of my favourite bars. It was in the perfect spot after skiing down the Face bumps at the end of the day.

Luckily it wouldn't have been open because it would have been carnage had it been full of customers because it's so cramped especially downstairs.

It does make you wonder about the older bars which have wooden walls. The Moris I assume has some concrete/brick behind the wood in order to support the hotel above it.

A couple of years ago one of the La Daille apartment blocks went up in flames.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
welshflyer, Agreed, been downstairs back in the smoky pub days and often thought "what if?", creaky staircase, one way out etc. Had some great nights in there a few years back, great Mexican fajitas and a real laugh, upstairs food around the large tables, hope it comes back.........due a revisit to Val sometime.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am supposed to be going to Val next Sunday but may not bother with the current snow conditions.

Some mention of the Val/Tignes link in this thread. Tignes won't let us Val clients into Tignes when there are poor snow conditions, they'll want to keep the Grande Motte and higher slopes to themselves.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They want to keep out people who refer to "Val d'Isere" as just 'Val'.
ski holidays
Quote:

Some mention of the Val/Tignes link in this thread. Tignes won't let us Val clients into Tignes when there are poor snow conditions, they'll want to keep the Grande Motte and higher slopes to themselves.

Err check the webcams - unless you have grass skis the links would be useless!!
snow conditions
paulio,

You have such a talent !!!
ski holidays
phillip33, Raise a large glass of red with me tonight Mr G in memory of the not so large Banana Bar. Lots of memories over the years:-( sniff!!
snow report
Quote:

You have such a talent !!!

he's right though. There are loads of Vals. wink
snow report
What talent would that be then Phil?
snow conditions
Quote:

he's right though. There are loads of Vals
Yeah..... Iwas just thinking the same Laughing
■VALERIE BERTINELLI, actress
■VALERIE ALIA, 20th century writer
■VALERIE ALMENGOR, Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader
■VALERIE BLOOM, writer
■VALERIE BROSSET, 1989 Miss LOUISIANA
■VALERIE COOK, 2000 Miss Nebraska USA
■VALERIE CROOKER, 1981 Miss MAINE
■VALERIE CRUZ, Actor
■VALERIE DUDOWARD, writer
■VALERIE FABER, 1986 Miss NEW MEXICO
■VALERIE FLEMING, 2010 Winter Olympian - Bobsledding
■VALERIE FRANKEL, writer
■VALERIE FREIREICH, published author
■VALERIE GHENT, Jazz artist
■VALERIE GILLIES, published author
■VALERIE GOTAY, 2008 Olympic athlete - United States - Judo
■VALERIE HARPER, actress
■VALERIE HOBSON, Actor
■VALERIE B. JARRETT, Business
■VALERIE JAUDON, American contemporary artist
■VALERIE LAVIN, 1966 MISS OHIO
■VALERIE LEFKOWITZ, model
■VALERIE LEON, actress
■VALERIE MAHFOOD, pioneer in female boxing
■VALERIE MALMONT, published author
■VALERIE MARTIN, writer
■VALERIE NICOLAS, 2008 Olympic athlete - France - Handball
■VALERIE NIEMAN, published author
■VALERIE PERRINE, actress
■VALERIE PLAME, Spy
■VALERIE SIMPSON, Musician
■VALERIE SOLANAS, Activist
■VALERIE STETSON, 1964 MISS CONNECTICUT
■VALéRIE TéTREAULT, tennis player
■VALERIE TICHACEK, Jazz artist
■VALERIE VILI, 2008 Olympic athlete - New Zealand - Athletics
■VALERIE WALKER, published author
■VALERIE WESLEY, published author
■VALERIE WEST, writer
■VALERIE WILLIAMS, writer
■VALERIE WOLZIEN, writer
■VALERIE WORTH, writer
snow conditions
mountainaddict, you ought to be able to produce a reasonable kind of list of ski resorts too.....
snow conditions
I hear there is snow forecast for this weekend ?
ski holidays
yes snow forecast for this weekend apparently limegreen1.

Lovely day up there today (see photo)... everyone has gone home after opening weekend and the resort is working hard to get ready for the tour operators arrival at the weekend with the first load of guests. I think there will be a reasonable selection of runs / lifts for the few people that come this weekend.

FIS arrive tomorrow to make the decisions about whether to run the World Cup races at the end of next week... looks like they will probably (if at all) run just the Mens SL down the Face and the Womens stuff down in La Daille but we shall see what they think tomorrow!

It is getting colder so things are at least going in the correct direction.

TTFN.
latest report
Sorry cross post

Yes the lift prices are reduced

Currently in Val D' and there is nothing at all on the lower slopes, even the man made patches round the only operational lift is melting. Mid station runs are moderate but the Cats tracks are pulling up a lot of stones and there are a lot of brown patches waiting to tear your bases.

Below the glacier level there is a lot of hard icy rubble of man made snow with some occasional better conditions.

The skating rink in the resort is a paddling pool currently

The downhill course is not looking to clever, they have been making snow but it is far from ready for the inspection

Once you get up to the Glacier level the snow is old but in absolutely perfect condition. Currently nothing worthwhile on the forcast and the locals cannot remember less cover on the ground at this time of year. They need a good 2-2 1/2m to set up the runs with anything worthwhile.

The big fear is that the ground is fairly warm and a lot of streams although iced up are still trickeling meaning that what snow does fall may be more prone to avalance and there are some areas where the snow that is in sparse patches has slumped.

Im told the last real dump was some 4 weeks ago. and that was only at the mid stations upwards.

Dont know if it is related but the TexMex resturant next to the base station when up in flames the night before last. maybe they could see a poor season
ski holidays
why are there 2x EK threads?
snow conditions
well not too much to report today. FIS have decided to cancel the Ladies SG and Combined races for 10 days time BUT at the same time they are probably going to run the Mens Slalom down the Face as they have been busy making snow and shaping it for the last few weeks.

The runs were deserted today and the lifts quiet (see photo) BUT there is some sweet snow to be found. Check out the video below: (thanks to Henrys Avalanche Talk for this).

http://youtube.com/v/zsWQ38pdP1s
ski holidays
....as soon as you report it FIS change their mind and they have also cancelled the mens events on the Face as well therefore there will will be no Criterium de Premiere Neige in Val d'Isere this year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Town is pretty deflated after the news of the World Cup cancellations but the snow is definitely coming - a storm is moving in over the weekend - hooray (as long as it materialises!). Not much to report today on the snow front so thought a view from town would be a nicer shot for photo of the day!

ski holidays
Well instead of a photo today thought I would share the GREAT NEWS:

so looking good for UP TO 30CM WITHIN THE NEXT 4 DAYS!. It started to cloud over this afternoon and as I look out the window now it does look quite grey out there so fingers crossed!

No skiing for me tomorrow as it is the usual airport run for Fresh Chalets but ill source another suitable photo.

The French equivalent of national charity day happens today (Telethon) so town has a few festivities happening today.
latest report
Can this thread be merged with the other one? It's normally traditional to have 1 thread per resort/area.
snow conditions
Steve Angus, you're new here right?
snow report
paulio, We have a thread for La Plagne section and a different thread for Les Arcs section in the Paradiski area as you could spend a whole week on one side and never go to the other side as it is such a big ski domain. It is the same in the Three Valleys with a thread for different sections of a large domain. I think as the ski domain of Espace Killy is also very big it is good to have one thread for each side. Val d'Isere and Tignes seperate.

But I do agree it would not be a good idea to have more than one thread per section. That would just be very confusing, as happened in La Plagne at one time and as someone tried to do in Les Arcs a few weeks ago. No sense in that at all as various people pointed out.

I have found these posts for Val d'Isere side very useful so Steve Angus, please keep this going. Would be better if you had called it Val d'Isere 2011 / 2012 as your title is a bit confusing for those that do not already knoe it is a season thread. Anyway please keep up the good work.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 2-12-11 21:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
snowcrazy, hey guess what! You're wrong!

The other thread is called "Tignes and Val d'Isere" and pre-dates this one.
latest report
paulio, Yes I can read what it says and I new what I wrote would get a reaction from you, you are very predictable, but the facts I have mentioned for other large ski areas are CORRECT and as everyone always says how 'big' Espace Killy is it should warrant a thread for each section. So we will just have to agree to differ. Toofy Grin

I hope Steve Angus, keeps this going as it is very useful. He is based in Val d'Isere so can give better info for that side than those in Tignes. When I am coming to Val d'Isere for the day to ski I want to read about that area, not Tignes and vice versa. snowHead
ski holidays
Steve Angus, I like the weather post and hope the predictions are correct, but I think we will be lucky based on other weather charts if we get half that amount. I think it was a real shame the cancelled the WC race, but talking to a friend there a few days ago I was not surprised. Your lower areas are as green and warm as ours lower down the valley, so even if it does snow, not much is going to last lower down until we have cold temps and a base forms IMO anyway.
latest report
So heavy rain above 2000m in December, just great.
snow report
Wheres this years La Plagne thread? I can't see one.
snow report
boredsurfin, somone started it and spelt La Plagne wrong rolling eyes maybe you need to start it afresh or get them to change the spelling.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80892

and anyway I just looked on it to get you this link and see you have already posted so you new this already rolling eyes
ski holidays
Bridgers,

Just found this hilarious. Cheers x
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy