Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

everyone was talking about a certain brand of skis and type of skis as if they were the be all and end all - but they skied really really badly

You're not talking about my beloved BBRs are you? Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As a kid growing up in 80's & 90's nobody from my town went on a Ski holiday. It was totally unheard of simply due to the cost.

For me the trend seems to be going back towards this and the sport is becoming more inaccessible, especially in France and the USA.

When I started there was a group of around 6 of us, who all used to go at least once a season on a lads trip. This season nobody is interested as they can't justify the spend on a lads holiday whilst leaving their families at home.

Apologies for the thread hijack Steve!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
countryman - good old Newton Abbot eh... I grew up in Devon..... anyway I hear ya what ya saying - which more people could reflect in similar ways!
welshflyer - well possibly old boots the plastic becomes brittle and dangerous - so thats a reason for not using very old boots that have been stored under the stairs!
gixxerniknik - im not commenting about anything!
russ_e - thats ok - nice to have some thoughts. Yes it might becoming more exclusive again - I dont think thats incorrect but I do think there is elements of the skiing population that totally spends their money / priorities unwisely and the circus of snowsports means apps and stats amongst other things prevails over other barometers. A classic example I often see is older skiers who possess really good all mountain skills but can't carve a ski very well.... versus younger skiers who (unknowingly to them they're not actually doing it but they think they are) who 'carve' but can't do things like kick turns / herringbone walking / stem turns in tricky snow / narrow their stance for moguls and a whole host of other skills.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eureka

It was all a bit of a rush this morning as I took the kids down for the school bus and it was a few mins late and that meant I was rushed... however I did manage to get to the meeting point OK and record my snow report for the TDC weekly vid OK as well as answer an email and a couple of things before the work day started. Phew - always a rush in the morning.

Anyway I had the same guy this morning that I had had all day the other day and he had nicely cemented much of what we worked on the other day which was awesome to see / hear! He had realised that what you learn in a lesson needs to be practiced typically at a rate of 3 to 1 in order to cement it home. Moving through skill acquisition from 'awareness' of what you need to do, through 'practicing the correct thing' and this finally makes it second nature or 'acquired'..... for most of us most of the time we are trying to practice the correct thing... just look at professional golfers out on the range - trying to practice their technique before the round!

So we headed over towards Tignes for a change of scenery and todays session was the time to introduce pole planting. Its always introduced with a element of in-trepidation as the focus is moved AWAY from the feet and and skis for the first time... it often confuses people and stuffs up everything that has been learnt before hand and leads to some really bad habits immediately. Alas todays went really well and I could not be more chuffed. By the end he was coming down the Fontaine Froid pretty well and the pole plants were AIDING his skiing which is the biggest relief when planting is first introduced.

I treated myself to lunch at the Sun Bar and had been in there for about 30 mins when the Brazilian pm lesson father and daughter walked in for their lunch! I was happy for them to join me - someone for them to hang with. The girl loves chatting to me (even though she got tired in the lesson later on) and today we tried using Google translate as the speaking into the microphone with auto audio translate is pretty cool! We could have a broken conversation - partly as the background noise in the Sun Bar was an issue.

Anyway when it came to lesson time we set off up the Olympic and enjoyed doing a lap of the Green Triangle with an extra Borsat piste added in. She did well and it was quite fun as she got the hang of some of the games we had tried yesterday.

She did tire though bless her and we finished a few mins early in the end.

I managed to see (think its the first time I have seen this) the SAF SAMU chopper set down in 2 locations (one at the bottom of the pitch from the top of the Borsat lift - think someone had managed to hit one of the snow fences perhaps... the other near the bottom of the wall on the Face) to pick up injured people... in both cases the chopper turned its blades off so it must be reasonably serious.

After work I headed home and to be honest I have been chilling a fair bit this evening - pretty tired and my long to do list can wait.

TTFN

Its a lot quieter now the Army are packing their bags!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loving the conditions. Have been on skis every day and if finishing before it ices up at 3pm, it’s all good.
The forecast looks epic and it will be one of my boards that finally gets used after today.
Cant wait.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bar shaker, lets hope so, 7 sleeps before we hit the slopes... Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for the infos- arriving when we can get ourselves in gear and onto the motorway! Hopefully Tues or Wednesday- just thinking we may try to avoid the snow on Tuesday driving up the hill.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Beer sales plummeting now the army have left?

@Steve Angus, Hope you weren’t affected by the power outage yesterday

We’ve had an enjoyable few weeks skiing I think every type of conditions possible but now back in the UK for 10 days , bizarrely the crowds were busier after New Year than around the actual holidays.
We seemed to get a lot of messages from friends and family concerned we had no snow after what the UK media is reporting rolling eyes

Our Daughter is staying until the end of the month as uni exams are online. Hopefully she’ll be clearing snow from our balcony over the next few days.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bar shaker - how exciting and glad you are enjoying the conditions.
michaelbury17 - equally exciting
lynnecha - excellent - welcome back in advance. Yes I would avoid the worst of the weather for sure. But arriving relatively early in the day is good on a weekday as the road will be scraped and it will be before the tourists snarl it up if they dont have chains etc!
muppet - haha yes indeed! No we werent affected by the outage - just heard about it actually! Yes the UK media is in overdrive making out its green everywhere... anything to sell a newspaper eh! As far as the snow clearing is concerned - ill do some spying for you eh!

Nice for some time out of boots

Olivia had to get to Club whilst Clare was skiing with Ben in the morning so it wasnt too manic a start to the day thankfully. With the sun shining it was always going to be a nice day out there.

Anyway I headed to the meeting point and half way there on the bus got a message from the client saying that they would be an hour late as the little girl was still sleeping. That wasnt such a bad thing to hear really as it meant I could head up the Olympic and meet Clare and Ben up there as they took the Funi up. Now I haven't skied with Ben for a couple of weeks of weeks worth of lessons or so now.... but wow has he come on.... we headed down the Verte to start us off and he was FLYING... and I mean FLYING. It wasnt like he was death wedging either - he was railing his skis pretty well and rounding his turns off really well. Amazing to see. I was a very proud dad.

So after a couple of laps I headed back to the meeting point to meeting my Brazilian team. So with only a couple hours of the lesson left we headed to do several laps of Grand Pre after skiing the Collett and also for the first time this season I took the two chairs up.

I wouldnt say it was deserted out there but it was certainly quieter than it has been of recent on the hill.

We did some excellent technique and there are some nice improvements coming through. She loses her concentration too quickly but with fresh games at regular intervals it comes back. It was nice to see improvements coming through so its fantastic to see the skis coming parallel little by little. Good old Google Translate helps so much.

After the lesson I headed home after checking the post box and the afternoon was spent chilling / watching some ski racing on tv and playing with Ben too after his skiing whilst Olivia was at club.

It clouded over this afternoon and the approaching front could start making an appearance tomorrow.

So tomorrow I am working full day and it is going to be another full on week coming up - eeek.

Olivia has a friend for a sleepover this evening so it has been pretty mad sorting those two out but I think they have finally gone to sleep now - haha!

TTFN

Ready for action at any time!

From my insta story today but thought it might be a teasing little question.

Things are pretty stable now - before the storm changes things!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
B@Steve Angus, B
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27 wrote:
B@Steve Angus, B

Yup of course well done. You can JUST see the top of it there if you look carefully.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The snow hath cometh

I was first up this morning and with Olivia and her friend chilling, Ben watched some tv whilst I had breakfast. Its not often that its such a chilled start to the day.

Anyway I headed to town as the snow was starting to fall. Initially it was quite light snow and also quite wet but later on got dryer and heavier before a break in the weather (a little) in the afternoon and now it has moved back in again!

My team were a tiny bit late but it was fine as the first lesson you take in your skiing life is knackering. So indeed with one girl (adult) who had skied a tiny bit before many years ago (remember folks it is a muscle memory sport so it doesnt really mater if you 'haven't skied for 20 years' etc - you have still skied a week before). Anyway the other 2 hadn't skied at all before. We started right at the beginning and by the end of the session we had 2 coming from the top of the Savonnettes and 1 from half way up.... the weather was not enticing to go and use the magic carpet at the top of the mountain so we stayed low intentionally!

It was a +ve morning and hopefully they might realise that having more lessons rather than hacking it out themselves and throwing themselves down green runs is a good thing! We shall see. There is only so much professional opinions you can give people before it just looks like you are trying to sell more sessions with yourself / colleagues... the fun thing is I am pretty much fully booked all week therefore the sessions would be with colleagues.

At lunchtime I was a little damp and tbh a nice hot bath and lie down was quite enticing at that moment in time!

It had brightened up by this afternoon which was lucky as I had a young couple - she had had a couple of lessons on the indoor slopes and he had done a week or two before but it was certainly her first day ever skiing on the real stuff... what a start for her. Anyway it sounded like they had been quite adventurous where they had been in the morning so we headed up and did the green triangle working on a fair few exercises and improving the understanding. Anyway the exercise that really helped her was chasing her down the slopes to put her out of her mental comfort zone (intentionally) and for to realise that she has a lot more control and expertise than she realises. It was a really good session (although idiot UK students straight lining lying on the back of their skis was rather unsettling for all the slope uses in the vicinity at the time).

By the end of the session the weather was moving back in again and the slopes were not only deserted but the soft snow made it just perfect to ski on - why dont more people get out there when there is a cloud in the sky as it was totally skiable up there this pm and the vis was fine!

Anyway I was happy to get home and start the evening chores as I am totally washed out this evening and think there is something coming on so I will take some meds and hit the sack early me thinks.

Ben was at a birthday party this pm and they all went skiing which he just LOVES. Olivia went to club and was GS training on the stade and Clare was the chauffeur although the kids had their moments behaviour wise so was totally over it by the time she got home as well.

So the weather should continue to puke down snow over night and the current temps are higher than forecast so I think all lower resorts are currently getting rain as its just snow here. HOWEVER the good news is that this will be snow for tomorrow and if it carries on like this there will be a LOT of it up there. There is currently 80% of the resort open so hopefully this will get it up towards 100% once PIDA work and grooming is done - so lets say end of this week at latest.

Talking of PIDA they have announced some from 0650 tomorrow. Hold onto your horses.

TTFN

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds promising! I'm out with my friends group next week, 1st day skiing Saturday 14th. We were having a change from Val this year and booked up at a friends place in Grand Massif, Samoens - but we decided to revert back to Val over the weekend just to be snow sure, lucky to find an apartment for us near the lifts/Rond Point. Now buzzing for it.

We might be up for a lesson or two - it's for discussion on the drive down, so will pop into the office if so.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It’s certainly snowing now and pretty cold. Weather became quite nast around 1530 with fairly high winds. Great day skiing down to La Daille in the morning. Skiing face in poor visibility was shall we say an error of judgment. Red down from Solaise was great. Once we got back up the olympique the wind had really picked up and we decided to finish at 1600. Lovely time skiing with my son. Great to see his skiing has improved in 2 or 3 days he’s skied with me. Apparently it’s because I ski slower than his mates and he has time to focus on what he is doing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dunc999 - glad to hear you are coming back to the motherland - haha! Sure let me know if you are keen for anything yes!
dan100 - sounds like you made the most of the day. How special being able to spend time skiing with your son. Hope you have a fantastic week - enjoy.

Snowy thats for sure

It had 'only' snowed 17cm or so overnight and with the clouds breaking a little it was game on. I got the kids out the house - well Clare did really as she was on a late start. It was at this point (I was later to find out that he had been severely led astray the previous night by a friend and can't remember anything really) that I got a message from my lesson of today to tell me that he was going to be an hour late. To be honest although I had a good nights sleep I was very happy to chill for another hour - the less energy expended today the better. I am certainly feeling more with it this evening but I shall be having another early night tonight I think!

Anyway I headed to the meeting point and there was a bit of a powder frenzy going on. There had been a progressive opening (and it was still ongoing) with lots of PIDA work happening since breakfast time. I had been lucky enough to look out the window up to the CATEX station above the Folie to see the explosives dropping at the correct time at breakfast time so the work had been ongoing for a long time even by 1000 when I was due to meet! The powder frenzy that I saw coming down the Face and near sides of it meant there was a very decent amount of snow up there.

We finally got going about 1015 and 'D' was so hungover I thought he was going to chuck on the Olympic lift up - doh! The weather at the top was not as bad as I thought it was going to be but certainly threatening. I decided that it was always going to be a day of learning to ski variables so we made way taking the long way to ultimately get to Brev for lunch. The work around path at the top of the Borsat was NOT open - luckily my guy was good enough to tackle the slope from the top and with the wind loading on the slope there the powder on the slope was about 45cm deep. Well with the path at the top closed off you can IMAGINE the carnage on that slope and with that deep snow. There was instructors with little kids all over the shop, people looking for lost skis, people walking down carrying gear, people walking up to help people who had lost skis, people flying down out of control.... well you name it I have never seen so much carnage! Anyway we took the back door to Tignes via Borsat to avoid the carnage on the Piste H and then worked our way all the way to Brev. Interestingly the Aiguille Percee chair was not open which meant we had to go via Lac.

Lunch was the usual high quality L'Armailly - just love the Calzone pizza there that comes with a yummy side salad. Luckily getting down to Brev meant we were out of the wind that was getting up and the high levels of snow that were coming out the sky.

After lunch and with 'D' now more alive we headed into the storm and by now the vis was zero / winds were very high and the link back to Val was starting to come into question. Call it local knowledge but I knew with the wind direction and gusts it would be OK. So of course skiing from the top of Toviere was educational but we got all the way to La Daille and that was enough for us all so we called it a day.

I had an hour or so to have a cuppa and then into town to get Olivia from her gymnastics club whilst Clare was collecting Ben from school and taking him to and from his swimming lessons.

It was another early night for the kids and now I am catching up on my admin before heading to bed myself.

The weather this evening was really whipping up (see my Insta) and it has really come in again this evening. So in total we have had a really good top up now and in the lee slopes there is going to be a LOT of snow by the morning. By tomorrow morning when the clouds break and after all the blasting work is done (there will be plenty of that to be done) there will be a lot of nice snow out there. It could be up to 1m+ in some places. The avalanche risk could well go up to 4 tomorrow so 'low hanging fruit' and shallow slopes will be the way forward.

An array of photos to finish with for today:

The road this morning was gridlock as it only takes one idiot not to put chains on and the road is blocked

From The Times - very interesting. I have always said Britain can produce world class skiers given the numbers of us doing it - IF ONLY there was decent funding!
snow report
It’s going to be a slow opening this morning. Winds of 171km/h recorded last night so lots of PIDA going on.
It should be an epic day when it opens.
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
It’s going to be a slow opening this morning. Winds of 171km/h recorded last night so lots of PIDA going on.

That wind sounds like a PITA Shocked .

What's PIDA? Puzzled
snow conditions
@Bergmeister, avalanche control
ski holidays
@Bergmeister,

The Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998,

Laughing
snow conditions
PIDA (plan d'intervention de déclenchements des avalanches).

Basically the managing from an avalanche risk pov of the mountains for safety purposes so open lifts and runs are ‘safe’ and to make sure buildings and infrastructure are kept safe from the threat. This is done through Gasex (remote controlled here in val from the snow room under the Olympic lift) as well as catex where explosives are dropped from wires (e.g the little control huts eg there’s a hut above the folie on the ridge) and finally if needs by by hand charges. Often you’ll see the blast hole under the top of the Madeleine in that little bowl. Once control work completed final pisting as well as the lift ops can then dig out / ready the lifts for opening before Pisteurs give the final thumbs up. The Pisteurs will start ‘close to home’ and on the main areas and spread out. So for eg first thing in the am just the verte piste might be open whilst they blast top of borsat and that gets people skiing as they ‘clear’ more of the mountain. It’s an intricate and skilled process they do each day (whether they need to blast or not) to keep everything as safe as possible. A day like today the PIDA is a long and thorough process.
snow report
bar shaker wrote:

Olympic opened on time and solaise 30 mins late… they needed to get datcha open basically so took time.
snow conditions
@Steve Angus,

Are the explosive charges in the Gasex system propelled by air pressure? A bit like the pneumatic system in very old department stores which moved paperwork and money around the store.
snow report
welshflyer wrote:
@Steve Angus,

Are the explosive charges in the Gasex system propelled by air pressure? A bit like the pneumatic system in very old department stores which moved paperwork and money around the store.

It’s certainly air pressure yes.
latest report
Steve Angus wrote:
welshflyer wrote:
@Steve Angus,

Are there actual explosives in a gasex system? I though they were a gas (propane?) air mix that was ignited to produce a pressure wave to release the slope.
snow conditions
rogg wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:
welshflyer wrote:
@Steve Angus,

Are there actual explosives in a gasex system? I though they were a gas (propane?) air mix that was ignited to produce a pressure wave to release the slope.

That’s my understanding of the system yes. Pisteur Pete in Tignes (a Brit) will know. I’ll try and ask him next time see him.
ski holidays
i thought snow tires are compulsory now in France. Why snowchains?
ski holidays
@bar shaker, sounds like conditions will be just perfect for the weekend...perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket Toofy Grin
snow report
They used to offer free tours of the Gasex system control from time to time- booked through Val tourist info office. We went a few years back- after a 30 min talk at the Pisteurs station, they took us up on a snowmobile to the computer control hut above Solaise. Absolutely fascinating
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rogg,

If you ignite propane in a particular way it is in effect an explosive.

@lynnecha,

The snow making factory would also be an interesting place to visit.
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:

From The Times - very interesting. I have always said Britain can produce world class skiers given the numbers of us doing it - IF ONLY there was decent funding!

If the proposed indoor slope in Wales happens, that could prove useful, particularly in the SL department
latest report
turms2 wrote:
i thought snow tires are compulsory now in France. Why snowchains?

No you either have to have chains or tyres in many departments in France now in Winter. However the police can also decide to force people to put chains on too if they think it’s needed. We have snow tires but also always have chains in the boot just in case
ski holidays
michaelbury17 wrote:
@bar shaker, sounds like conditions will be just perfect for the weekend...perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket Toofy Grin

Haha. Yes it’s good out there
latest report
lynnecha wrote:
They used to offer free tours of the Gasex system control from time to time- booked through Val tourist info office. We went a few years back- after a 30 min talk at the Pisteurs station, they took us up on a snowmobile to the computer control hut above Solaise. Absolutely fascinating

Yes have done the tour / talk too. Amazingly fascinating. Think they still do it. Sign up in TO.
snow report
welshflyer wrote:
@rogg,

If you ignite propane in a particular way it is in effect an explosive.

@lynnecha,

The snow making factory would also be an interesting place to visit.

It’s very cool yes
snow conditions
swskier wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:

If the proposed indoor slope in Wales happens, that could prove useful, particularly in the SL department

It can only help eh
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:

That’s my understanding of the system yes. Pisteur Pete in Tignes (a Brit) will know. I’ll try and ask him next time see him.

.........and as I am sure you know, you better pull up a chair as that wont be a short conversation with Mr Richmond Very Happy
latest report
I can't stop looking at the webcams today, pure filth!! Roll on Friday (and Saturday skiing)!!
snow report
GreenDay wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:

.........and as I am sure you know, you better pull up a chair as that wont be a short conversation with Mr Richmond Very Happy

Ah Pete is a good lad
snow report
dunc999 wrote:
I can't stop looking at the webcams today, pure filth!! Roll on Friday (and Saturday skiing)!!

Sorry! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

I think with the latest funding cuts that the chap from Quinn Estates is basically underwriting the UK Ski Team.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy