Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
The ski run I would like to ski is over the back of the Col D'Iseran to Bonneval which necessitates a heli ride back to Val d'isere
The taxi option (inc Frejus Tunnel cost) might not be much cheaper! Laughing

Skinning back up could always be an option wink

There's no Frejus tunnel needed from Bonneval Sur Arc as that valley is in France not Italy. Just a straight drive down the valley toward Albertville, but as noted a fairly long road trip.

Someone on here I recall went that way to BsA then buses to Orelle, into 3V onward to La Plagne, skied across via Les Arcs and into Villaroger, from there a return to Tignes to complete a loop. From memory staying the night in two places en route.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You know, @Kenzie, @welshflyer, @mountainaddict, @ski3, I've also been keen to do this for a long time... Would be happier using skins but it would be around 1,000m vertical so for me at least, 2hrs or so. Still quicker than the Taxi(!). I'd be happy to also consider driving round to Bonneval, skinning home to Tignes, and returning the next day to enjoy the descent, retrieve the car and drive home again.

I wonder if there's enough interest to persuade Steve to act as guide...?

@ski3, how did your friend get from Le Praz (?) to Champagny? Would you know if there's a regular bus. I think there's one to Bozel.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did read about a proposal a few years ago to build a lift from Bonneval up the col d'Iserian. I suspect it failed a number of points including environmental impact, but mainly, I suspect, due to lack of financial viability.

Bonneval sur Arc does look a lovely place to spend a holiday, however.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
There's no Frejus tunnel needed from Bonneval Sur Arc as that valley is in France not Italy
Aha!! Schoolboy error indeed @ski3! Very Happy I stand corrected...in my orthopaedic insoles wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bobski62,

I'd be happy doing it as long as there's no skinning, I'm too old and unfit for that as Steve A knows.

I'll be staying in Va d for 4 separate weeks this winter in mid Jan, early & late Feb and late March and would want good snow & vis conditions.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
The ski run I would like to ski is over the back of the Col D'Iseran to Bonneval which necessitates a heli ride back to Val d'isere
The taxi option (inc Frejus Tunnel cost) might not be much cheaper! Laughing

Skinning back up could always be an option wink

Same route knows as "The chicken" to cyclists, including the Col d'Iseran to complete it. Not done it myself yet (it's an absolute beast) but it's on my long list..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
There's no Frejus tunnel needed from Bonneval Sur Arc as that valley is in France not Italy
Aha!! Schoolboy error indeed @ski3! Very Happy I stand corrected...in my orthopaedic insoles wink

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Yes that valley runs right along the border there, and quite wiggly too.

At highest point of Val Cenis there's a cantilevered platform looking out over Italy with views across to southern end of Frejus tunnel and onward to Sauze as far as I csn determine without binoculars Very Happy
The piste L' Escargo in Val Cenis is the pass over to Italy at that point in the valley too, amusing that skiing is past road direction signs as closed in winter season. The old customs and border post is still there too right in the middle of tgat pisted area, it can really blow hard there at that point as a corridor for difference in temperature in those adjacent valley, often making piles of snow too.
Of course when skiing Val Frejus area you're effectively on top of the tunnel too.

It's a very interesting valley though to explore, and very different to much steeper generally Tarantaise.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bobski62 wrote:
You know, @Kenzie, @welshflyer, @mountainaddict, @ski3, I've also been keen to do this for a long time... Would be happier using skins but it would be around 1,000m vertical so for me at least, 2hrs or so. Still quicker than the Taxi(!). I'd be happy to also consider driving round to Bonneval, skinning home to Tignes, and returning the next day to enjoy the descent, retrieve the car and drive home again.

I wonder if there's enough interest to persuade Steve to act as guide...?

@ski3, how did your friend get from Le Praz (?) to Champagny? Would you know if there's a regular bus. I think there's one to Bozel.

Apologies as I dont know the person travelling, just recall reading on here of the adventure (I'm sure it was on here) of someone described their route etc. Thought they bused down to Orelle and stayed the night, then onward next day. I can't quite remember details around that juncture and if they had to route through Moutiers to get that link.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:
I did read about a proposal a few years ago to build a lift from Bonneval up the col d'Iserian. I suspect it failed a number of points including environmental impact, but mainly, I suspect, due to lack of financial viability.

Bonneval sur Arc does look a lovely place to spend a holiday, however.

Bonneval is probably all the better from not having that link, from a selfish visitor perspective really. It's supremely peaceful in winter at that end of the valley which would likely change significantly with that connection.

It's not a huge pisted ski area but attractive non the less. Can get huge snow depths, coupled with absolute serenity for lovely time. Slightly surreal is the old village (often depicted in photos of the area) where you can be walking between the buildings up at 1st floor level there's so much snow, enchanting place and very good cafè cake emporium too Very Happy
The ski station is next to the historic village about 500mtrs distance with most accommodation there, plus another good patisserie (you can see a theme here Very Happy ) absolutely worth visiting for the attributes it has and quite considerable contrast to Tarantaise generally.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Steve Angus, just seen your post on 4th November. Sorry to hear your sad news. Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:

That discussion has been on and off for years, probably even decades now!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dr John,

It was on the climb up to the Col D'iseran from Bonneval that Egan Bernal won the Tour de France a few years ago. Geraint Thomas couldn't lose his competitors and so he told Bernal to attack. The stage was abandoned because of a land slip blocked the road on the descent into Val d'isere. Bernal was awarded the stage and the timings were taken at the top of the Col.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
welshflyer wrote:
@Dr John,

It was on the climb up to the Col D'iseran from Bonneval that Egan Bernal won the Tour de France a few years ago. Geraint Thomas couldn't lose his competitors and so he told Bernal to attack. The stage was abandoned because of a land slip blocked the road on the descent into Val d'isere. Bernal was awarded the stage and the timings were taken at the top of the Col.

And it was snowing! (hailing)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IM BACK!!!!!!!!!

Well folks can I firstly say a massive THANK YOU for the kind messages above after the death of my dear mum a month ago now. So many nice messages - im touched! It has been a whirlwind of a month of emotions etc but above all else so much admin and paperwork to keep on top of. Being the executor and chief organiser of everything means it has been busy. One of the things that in this pre-season has changed is that ive really come away from keeping up with the going on on here and also doing some social media etc. As a result I have felt about 2 weeks behind in this run up to the season.

Anyway im pleased to say that I finally think I have nearly caught up (well mentally and practically as far as jobs for the preseason build up are concerned). So that means it must be time to start the dailies on here again! Welcome back to myself I say!

I will be there at the PSB from Sunday too.... in fact Sunday will be my first day back teaching this season (we had a very small family ski together last weekend and will be having another small family ski again this Saturday too!).

The last couple of weeks since I got back from the UK sorting the funeral and things out has been following up on the million pieces of paperwork that need doing, doing some avalanche talks for the various tour operators (more on that in a moment!) and trying to do the practical things like getting my uniform sorted / winter clothes out / sorting parking for the season etc... the list goes on!

So TDC as a ski school (and without getting into the nitty gritty of it) has (in effect) changed its (in practical senses) structure and way it works on paper. What this means is that some of us are taking on a lot more responsibility and roles in the running of the school and one of my jobs is to vastly increase the in resort PR through the avalanche and mountain safety talks I deliver for the school. So I have done about 4 talks so far over the last couple of weeks to a few hundred seasonnaires in total and have a few more to go. So that has taken up some of my time and some! In terms of how the school runs it won't really change anything as far as the public are concerned!

One of the other really sad things to mention (and it was briefly mentioned on the other Tignes / Val thread but not on here I dont think) is the untimely death of my friend, colleague of 10 years and amazing dad to his kids, Joe Harkess. The world was not a place for him anymore sadly a week ago and I think I am still in shock and I know plenty of people still are! It is deeply sad. His funeral is going to be on Monday in Chambery (for some reason) and then on Wednesday a celebration of life of some sort! I can't make the funeral but I think Clare is going to represent our family as she isnt teaching that day! Anyway RIP my dear friend.... you always made me smile and you lit up the meeting point and your ability to NOT play politics and agendas and just do the job for the love of it was what I loved most about you. He never took himself too seriously and was unique in his delivery and approach to the job which was so refreshing. You will be sorely missed and im just sorry we could not have done more to help you my friend! May Ness and the kids have strength!

.... blimey folks the season hasn't yet started and what an eventful month and bit it has been...

Im sorry I havent got the time to read every comment above and consider the conversations but im sure you will appreciate.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
whoops posted too early there.....

A pic from Radio Val to finish this first update of the 22/23 season off.

TTFN

ski holidays
HOWEVER having said that I see the chat re Bonneval.

Firstly the skin over -you need skins- is easy enough and quite short. The ski down can be anything from easy to really hard. Its a lovely day out. I HAVE led trips to Bonneval on quite a few occasions and this season will be no change for anyone wanting to do it let me know. There are 4 spaces in the heli with me. Prices for this year TBC - will be about €300 pp all in for the day -you just need to buy a local 1/2 day pass when you get to Bonneval and if you havent got skins etc then rent them for the day!. In terms of weather you MUST HAVE good weather because the chopper needs to clear -with visibility- a 1000m over the Col d'Iseran. So basically unless it is blue sky day you can't really go. Its a good day out...... oh and the chat about linking Bonneval -which actually owns the land the Val glacier is in ironically!- and Val is older than you or I and will never happen but nice chats!
snow report
Sorry DO NOT KNOW WHAT is happening with the formatting and posting too early this evening sorry folks! Bit out of practice me thinks!
snow report
@Steve Angus, I was shocked and saddened to hear about Joe. He was my next door neighbour for a while in Tignes. You couldn't have wished to meet a nicer bloke. He just had the knack of making people smile.

RIP fella.
ski holidays
Aw no! Joe was a great guy. I’m so sorry and shocked to hear that.
Good to see you back on here @Steve Angus,
ski holidays
Aw no! Joe was a great guy. I’m so sorry and shocked to hear that.
Good to see you back on here @Steve Angus,
latest report
@Steve Angus,

Thanks for the information about the excursion to Bonneval. It is something I want to do, as you know I love skiing and flying! I knew the heli only flies in good vis and I would only want to fly in good vis to enjoy "The View From ......".

I will try to see if anyone reading this or any of the crowd I ski with want to take this on with you. It would be fantastic fun akin to the off piste runs off the top of the Marikopf in St Anton.

You say it's a short skiin, so is it feasible simply to use skins on downhill skis rather than hiring skis with touring bindings?
latest report
welshflyer wrote:
You say it's a short skiin, so is it feasible simply to use skins on downhill skis rather than hiring skis with touring bindings?

It is a short skin, maybe 500m along and 50m up to the little col. more comfortable (and overall lighter) with a touring setup. you could rent Securifix when you get your skins but they’d be in your pack for the day, no biggie. It was the first ever skin my 13yr old son did with his less accomplished 13yr old buddy and they both managed it easily
ski holidays
@Grinning,

If it's a fairly flat 500m skin from the top of the Le Fornet gondola passed the old chapel then I would prefer to use my own skis. My ski boots have a "hike" mode. I recall about 5 years ago when a large party of non skiers walked across to the old chapel to attend a wedding ceremony.

I'll have a look at the hike and gradient in January.

I assume that the run down to Bonneval can't be accessed from the Pays Desert or the Poma lift at the bottom of Pays Desert otherwise that would have been mentioned. Does the ski run follow the road down?
ski holidays

@welshflyer, the usual route to Bonneval starts with the skin from the top of the glacier T-bar.

You then go over the col Ouille Noire into the bowl behind the glacier (the way to Gros Caval and col du montets). You ski over a plateau then a number of steepish pitches offer themselves up (prone to sliding) then down the valley always turning right to the old village and bridge then flats out to Bonneval.

I’m not sure that anyone skis the road from Col du l’Iseran to Bonneval D902 that the TdF takes. It’s quite raviney in the middle so is prob not safe and I think there’s be some flats to contend with.

Fun day out to Bonneval - do it but you’ll be heli’ing back so you will need a guide or instructor to book the heli back - please take a guide and don’t follow the road signs to Bonneval
ski holidays
@Grinning,

Thank you for the detailed description of the route. It sounds much more of an adventure than I had thought.

I'll be trying to find 3 others to join me (plus Steve A if he's available). I definitely want to return by heli. I never went on that heli-skiing holiday when I was younger & fitter.
snow report
Yes so on this Bonneval thing - few points:

1- the skin up is yes a few hundred yards, not that steep and just a straight line diagonally up... but it is at altitude, its quite often scoured by the wind making it a little tricky at times and you are traversing a relatively steep slope by the time you get to the top. However having said all that being at altitude makes it bit more challenging but ive had teenagers first time EVER skinning going up there. Likewise occasionally people have boot packed across. So its pretty doable!
2- you have to do this skin to get to the little col thats the only route - you wouldnt go via the D902 road route def not.
3- off the back there are number of routes down and the easiest route does a HUGE long swoop -were talking miles here- in a clockwise backwards 'c' shape with a couple of slightly steeper parts but nothing too bad. All in all it reminds me of an awfully long version of the tour du charvet. By the time you get down into the valley towards ecot its getting flat and there is some pushing and polling required. Id say the total distance would be something like top of the Val glacier all the way to La Daille something like that and that sort of elevation change too.
4- you need to be on the first lifts up as by the time you have gotten to the col, had a drink and called the pilot to get a weather OK its at least 1030. The ski down is then a couple of hours lets say give or take.
5- you arrive in the lovely bonneval for lunchtime. Lunch is a bargain and a treat steak, chips and pint for about €20. You then need to buy a half day lift pass as the heli pick up point is literally at the top of Bonneval -small but at the top- ski area. So at 1330 you're heading back up the 3 chairs -or is it 2 can't remember now- and a drag lift and doing a tiny amount of piste skiing to get there of coruse. So by the time you get to the heli point, made the call, chopper arrives its 1430 say sometimes 1500. The flight is 10 mins then at the top of solaise you have to get over the flying hi and sort the gear out and suddenly its getting closer to 1530.... so something like L'Avancher couloir to finish the day with and youre back in town for 1600/1615 for apres beers and reflect on what has been a great outing!

Ive led a fair few trips down there and it really is one of my fav things to do as its so much fun / different / exciting / the chopper flight at 4500m or so is STUNNING and its just different. You dont need to be a top notch skier / super fit to do either. It really is a great trip!

For a teaser then this video I put together on a trip I lead in 2015 -bit old now of course but you get the gist - it doesnt change much-.

http://youtube.com/v/1gkwC3FRNq0

And yea the total price split between those attending is circa €1200 this Winter plus your lift pass you need to buy etc.... so €300 a head based on 4 people - pretty decent value id say. Late February to late March give or take is the best time to do it (for many reasons) and sometimes that is about the only time in the season you can do it!

P.S. Even if you can only get say 2 / 3 people together then I can often ask around some usual suspects about town who often want to come / know someone who does type thing! A neighbour for example keeps asking me when / if there is a spare seat sometime to let her know as she'd love to come (she'd pay of course - haha!)
snow conditions
... ive worked out whats wrong when I post yesterday and today.... brackets around things - it doesnt like it so I can't use them!!! Weird!
ski holidays
A holiday of a lifetime

Today started chilled after getting the kids on the school bus and then I spent much of the morning sorting a few bits of admin out at home... the BIG thing that Clare and I got ticked of was booking perhaps the family holiday of a lifetime. When we got married 10 years ago we asked for contributions to our planned heli ski trip to Alaska.... when the time came to looking into booking it it was going to cost WAY too much money for our liking! At the same time almost we found out Clare was pregnant so the plan was to save the money for when the kids were older and take a family 'honeymoon'. Well that time has come and this morning we booked a 3 week holiday next October for a few days in New York followed by a couple of weeks in Florida 'doing the Disney stuff' etc. I went as a kid so have a good idea what we will do and which parks etc but basically its going to be an amazing trip. This morning we got the travel insurance sorted then booked the flights... I think a 'triangular' ticket from GVA to NYC via Frankfurt.... then an internal flight to Florida before back to GVA via Frankfurt again for less than €3000 inc luggage is a good price for a family of 4.

Anyway the kids were SOOOOOOOO excited when we told them this evening as you can imagine!

So with what is happening in the world at the moment and the sad news of recent this is a really welcome bright point! Very excited!

So anyway after all that was sorted I went and spent a few hours this afternoon delivering another avalanche awareness and mountain safety talk to VIP Ski - tour op-... so that was a few hours all in all for the 60 or so Val staff they have!

After that I ran a couple more errands and then came home and told the kids about the top.... but then needed to go back to town for a dentist check up.... me bad as it has been about 5 years since I saw the dentist last.... but she was really good and gave my teeth a good clean up! Feel a million dollars now!

So tomorrow the lifts finally start moving again.... we are having a ski with Ben in the morning -Clare and I- whilst Olivia skis with the Club des Sports on her new SL skis... all before a whole new real season starts on Sunday with the PsB.

TTFN

p.s. photo from Radio Val - think utilising my own photos and hosting on Facebook works a little but then for some reason after a few days the link stops working and it shows as a broken link on here so not sure its a good idea to keep using that hosting option from Facebook..... so Radio Val pic it is.

The French team have been training in town ahead of next weeks World Cup racing on the Face!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steve Angus, lovely to see you back! And what a fabulous video - the grins on everyone's faces say it all!
ski holidays
@Steve Angus,

I definitely want to ski to Bonneval!

I'll be in Val d'isere for the weeks commencing the 15th of Jan, the 5th and 26th of Feb and the 26th of March. I will need a few days to get ski fit and hopefully get a bit of off piste practice.

When I arrive in mid January I will see if any of the seasonnaires I ski with want to join us (one of them has a heli rating). Please can you find out if there is a weight limit for the helicopter (I doubt if it will be a problem because they appear to use very powerful helicopters).

I'll pm you to arrange to meet you for a pre dinner drink in January where I'm staying to discuss organising a trip to Bonneval.
latest report
welshflyer wrote:
@Steve Angus,

I definitely want to ski to Bonneval!

I'll be in Val d'isere for the weeks commencing the 15th of Jan, the 5th and 26th of Feb and the 26th of March. I will need a few days to get ski fit and hopefully get a bit of off piste practice.

When I arrive in mid January I will see if any of the seasonnaires I ski with want to join us (one of them has a heli rating). Please can you find out if there is a weight limit for the helicopter (I doubt if it will be a problem because they appear to use very powerful helicopters).

I'll pm you to arrange to meet you for a pre dinner drink in January where I'm staying to discuss organising a trip to Bonneval.

OK.

'A weight limit' - what do you mean? Why? There's no weight limit no. Just 4 people and gear. Those choppers are plenty powerful for sure! Yea the trip when you come out 26/2 week on say the 3/3 would work well... something like that
snow conditions
Would love to be a +1 but both those weeks (w/c 26th Feb & w/c 26th March) I'm already committed to other stuff... Should it it land on a different week do let me Know).
ski holidays
@bobski62,
There is also Mikey's Ears to Lac due Chervil or the Tarentaise Tour (no copper in the latter).
ski holidays
@Kenzie,

I don't think you can call it "Mickey's Ears" because he lost them a few years ago!

Steve A will be seeing Mickey next October in Florida.
snow conditions
@welshflyer,
It'll always be Mickey's Ears to those who can remember the aerials - an easily identifiable landmark. Very Happy
snow report
Yes its still Mickeys Ears to us locals still yes.

BTW Kenzie there's no chopper pick up at Chevril anymore - environmentally outlawed as of last year unfortunately! Sadly.
ski holidays
Open

Im gonna have to be quick this evening as I have just got back in from a 3 hour evening in which i delivered an avalanche talk to Bramble Ski TO so lots to get done still before tomorrow and the start of the PsB.

Anyway today has been the start of the season (better late than never). So Olivia was dropped at Club des Sports this morning for the first session of the season. Meanwhile Clare, Ben and I headed up for a little ski about. There is a decent amount open including most of the usual suspects and even some options to ski to the valley floor. We also popped into the new restaurant at the bottom of the Grand Prix lift. We were their VERY first customers so all the staff clapped us in, got pics taken and given free drinks and croissants! How nice! Its not going to be a cheap option though... very much a sit down a la carte type place! Interesting to have a restaurant like that in a location like that but the best of luck to them!

The weather was not the best today - a bit blizzard like at times, the wind got up at times too but it was a bit cold. They have extended the 'loop around' option from the top of the Borsat lift and made it much wider and longer which is good. The decking areas at the top of the Fontaine Froide and Borsat also are awesome too - great photo spots or picnic spots!

Anyway by lunchtime Ben was cold so we headed home via La Daille gondola download and when Olivia got home enjoyed some lunch!

With Olivia back at Club in the afternoon Ben, Clare and I at home did some bits, played with him and also a friend (Snowboard instructor Steph) came around for a cuppa! With the kids in bed I headed out to do the avalanche talk and here I am now.

TTFN

snow report
@Kenzie,

The ears have gone, The Moris has gone and Espace Killy is now Tignes/Val d'isere.

Should they name the area Clary/Noel Laughing
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, Steve, I do like the way spell check changed that to near the Grand Prix from Grand Pre. Very prescient given that a Grand Creme is €7 in there, but to be fair a small bottle of Mont Blanc is only 6!
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, Please accept my belated condolences on the loss of your Mum.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy