Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2023/2024 (Dec 1 - April 21)

Poster: A snowHead
Langerzug wrote:
A 100 euro tourist tax would certainly ban many -young- male groups.

I think you underestimate the costs the younger male Brits will put up with.

My son is just back from a 5-day trip with his friends to Ibiza. They each easily spent around £2,000 on nightlife. He and his friends are all early 20's and in their first jobs.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JohnS4 wrote:
Langerzug wrote:
@James the Last,
Come and have a look around in Amsterdam. It's the English that are worst. Not the French, not the Germans, not the Spanish, not the Italian, not the Scandi's
A 100 euro tourist tax would certainly ban many -young- male groups.

That might well be true in Amsterdam, but this discussion is about St Anton, and in the hoards of noisy drunks that head down from the Moose/KK after 8pm, the majority are not English. There are as many Germans/Dutch people behaving badly. Also the Scandinavians for whom many the drinks are much cheaper than at home. Also English speaking from other countries eg Ireland, Australia etc.

..and as I wrote it was in in a St.Anton small pension were an English group spoiled the holiday of all other guests, all week long.
And the city of Amsterdam has official policy specifically aimed at English guests...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Langerzug, not all British people spend their hard earned in KK and MW, perhaps news but some actually do go for the skiing. wink ime for what it’s worth the Dutch are as party loving as the Brits, albeit with a dollop of arrogance thrown in, Holland is great country, albeit really flat and a tad boring but the Dutch certainly like to travel and get out of there and spend some cash on their travels.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure that it is useful to get into an argument as too which particular nationality is the worst behaved, from my observations it is the Scandinavians in St Anton. At the Oktoberfest here it is the Italians that get the bad rap (along with Australians Smile), so much so that the middle weekend is known as "Italienisches Wochenende" and I have read stuff about the brits in Amsterdam (I suspect as it is cheap and easy to fly there from even the smallest airport in the UK). Germans seem to have a thing about behaving badly in Majorca ( look up Ballermann) Given the right circumstances anyone can behave badly (including the Dutch!).

The cost thing is probably not a big deal, skiing in the Arlberg is not a cheap hobby at the best of times a few Euros extra is not going to make much difference
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munich_irish, aye, it’s nonsense tbh, so long as people know how to respect others and behave does it really matter? Folks have a tough time most of the year, an odd week enjoying a party in the sun/ snow isn’t that bad surely? I used to moan about folks piling out of KK/ MW but after the last 3 years and the nonsense politics in U.K. last few years I’m more circumspect and understanding of others. We all need a release surely, and Octoberfest is likely just the same…one life live it!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton wrote:
Finally all existance & the history of ""Aus""länder in St Anton have been eradicated .... Very Happy Very Happy

'picture of Underground being knocked down'

The underground was built by an Auslander, used to be the staff house for the museum, or Villa Trier as it was then know, which was built by a german chap from Darmstadt in 1912. During his time he helped Hannes with his ski school, but unfortunately he did not get to enjoy his house for long as he was killed in WW1.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just booked a week in Lech from the 6th Jan, and expect we will end up in St Anton at the end of the day on at least one occasion. At the risk of being labeled an irresponsible drunken Brit embarrassment, I do have to say that we do enjoy at least one visit to the KK or MW when holidaying in the region. Anyway, does anyone know what time the last bus will still be running to get us back to Lech?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JimboS, it used to be close to 20 both ways, can't find it now.
How far from Krone in Lech are you based? Only drinks and no food, but still fun and loud. Plenty of EU embarrassment to rub your elbows with Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@drporat, we are staying in the Bergheim, so pretty close.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Excellent. Krone Stube this March at 20:03
Not the worst place to end a day Laughing
Above St. Anton in Heustadl KK or Mooserwirt it's a more dynamic and younger atmosphere. I enjoyed reaching Mooserwirt for a burger or ribs inside while everybody is jumping outside.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quite a walk with ski's from the busstop to the Bergheim. Uphill wink
Krone bar is...well...boring?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BTW, nearby at Schneggarei you can have awesome Pizzas for 21€ (rather cheap for Lech rolling eyes ).
@Langerzug, any ski depot in that area? There is an Intersport rental shop just in front, don't know about lockers.
Strolz on the other side of the road were the cheapest for wooden sledge rentals and they should have lockers but I am not sure about prices there €€€
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@drporat, never used a skidepot, but I know Sportalp has one (next to Schlegelkopf), as indeed does Strolz and Intersport.
For Schneggarei you need to make reservations weeks if not months ahead. Or wait until 09.00 pm
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We went inside around 18:30 and were happy with a barrel round table rather close to the bar, I see we were lucky to find a spot.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Come to think of it, the Bergheim probably offers acces to the Strolz depot, since it is owned by the family Bucher-Strolz Madeye-Smiley (although nowadays nothing is sure within the family Strolz....)
ski holidays
Closing times for the depots also tend to be fairly early so probably wouldn't help for an 'away day'.
snow report
@JimboS, so on that particular day you'll take them back to the apartment.
Any chance of cooking for dinner or will it be restaurants every evening?
Ask here if you'll need recommendations for lunch in the mountains etc.
ski holidays
@drporat, We will be half board, so not worried about meals in the evening, as for lunch I've been on day trips to Lech 5 or 6 times in the last 30 years or so, so know my way round a bit and we also spent a week there in the summer of 2019. Lunch tips are always welcome though, as my memory fades and things change. We usually end up eating at some overpriced terrace at the top end of Oberlech so alternatives are welcome.
latest report
Perfect then.
Sausages and goulasch soup at Ulmerhutte with Weizen beer. Perfect views in sunny days. Very fast and effective queuing system.
Schnitzel at the top of Rufikopfbahn if for some reason you get there hungry.
Heustadl above St. Anton for burgers and schnitzels, fast service and catchy apres.
Mooserwirt inside for the ribs, BaseCamp for solid apres in St.Anton with good burgers and goulasch soup plus apple strudel
In Oberlech we had self service at Salome but you are half board so probably won't need it.
snow report
@drporat, Thanks, I know St Anton a bit better than Lech, our day trips to Lech have all been from our holidays in St Anton. Very Happy Just about to pull the trigger on a boys trip there on the 20th Jan, Hotel Rendlhof. So double Arlberg next Jan, that will sting the wallet and the liver. Was also looking at Saalbach for the boys (read old men) but prices there have jumped above St Anton.
latest report
@JimboS, so it's gonna be an awesome season. You can't go wrong with a double Arlberg dip. Laughing
IMHO Saalbach is a bit over rated and too expensive.
(Hinterglemm some future January for me)
Arlberg allows you to ski all day long on completely different pistes (challenging and fun).
Your week in Lech will allow you to spend enough time in Zurs and in Warth without having to worry about the clock.
ski holidays
@JimboS, The last bus went around 20:00 last season, currently only the summer / off season timetable on the tourist office website and that has a last bus at 19:00. Note the buses now go from the train station which is a bit of a stumble in ski boots from the Galzigbahn. If you are going to do a lot of this rent a locker at Alber or Jennewein.

@drporat, Base Camp has got stupid expensive, last season it was cheaper to get a coffee & water in Lech than at Base Camp! They also restrict numbers for apres you might have to book. Moose gets crowded but you can push your way to the bar.
latest report
@drporat, Rüfikopf, Ulmerhütte, Salome? Come on, there is so much better….without breaking the bank!
snow report

@munich_irish, unfortunately everything related to apres in Arlberg is a matter of demand and supply...
Base Camp is a meeting point strategically located in the very right spot, they can charge more and people will still wait outside at the end of the day.
Mooserwirt (and Heustadl) are a 'skiers paradise'. Very crowded and expensive as well.
They are all happy places where people are glad to pay and look around.
@Langerzug, probably but a quick bite so I can continue skiing is more important to me. I'll be happy to check your recommendations next season but nothing beats Ulmerhutte views.
snow report
Well the Rendlhof is a non starter as they don't have the rooms we need, looks like we are off to Fiss instead, that will be a first for all of us.
ski holidays
@JimboS, I sent you a PM.
It still sounds like an awesome January.
I mean a week in Lech and a week in Serfaus Fiss will make an awesome memory and hurt the wallets less
ski holidays
Albonabahn 1 construction fotos here

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=812510954212927&set=pcb.812511114212911&locale=de_DE

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________---

Yesterday in Bludenz recorded the highest city temperature in Austria at 37.7C Shocked Shocked

https://vorarlberg.orf.at/tv/stories/3215508/

Vorarlberg, Switzerland & Germany Storms since last night are currently under a mega cluster & warning in place until Thursday .

https://twitter.com/sturmwetter1703/status/1678871119191736320?
latest report
Yes big storm affecting the alps and surrounding area, big winds last night with speeds up to 130km / hour across much of southern Germany (it hit us around midnight lots of lumps of tree all over the road this morning, bins blown around etc). Focus today seems likely to be a bit further south ie in the mountains, could be some giant hailstones. Not a good time to be out in the mountains, stay in the valley or in a hut!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like construction now well under way at the site of the Underground. I would assume apartments.
ski holidays
Anyone seen prices for ski passes next season yet?
ski holidays
davidthornton wrote:
Looks like construction now well under way at the site of the Underground. I would assume apartments.

Yes. The Top man(Vorsitzender der Geschäftsführung) from the Lift Company bought the place some years ago with an MOU ... He has family connections to the first ever lift development in St Anton & wasa regular Customer of the old UG dowtown and I presume the one he has demolished (I never went there when it became the main place )

Markymark29 wrote:
Anyone seen prices for ski passes next season yet?

Not yet.... rumour is next month (August)
snow report
The Fusion of Lech am arlberg two biggest Ski Lift Companys is complete ...

New company is called Lech Bergbahnen AG

Smaller lift companys like Oberlech could also soon join..

In addition to the Lech ski lifts, Warth-Schröcken is also to become part of the new working group, Ski Zürs would also be a candidate for the "big Lech solution". However, Moosbrugger emphasized that these are long-term prospects.

https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3217677/

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Ski Ticket prices ... You may now have to wait until September

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Next week could will see massive amounts of rain fall in the Austrian Alps & all throught out Germany ... High Water, Flooding and Landslides possible

http://youtube.com/v/39BXZYunbOE
snow report
Sounds like the lift company wants to build a monopoly.

That will mean higher ticket prices.
latest report
@Whitegold, that’s nonsense
ski holidays
We’ve booked Lech for the w/c March 2nd next year with Crystal, and managed take advantage of the 2-for-1 lift pass. My wife and I are probably early intermediates at this point, having only skied some of the blues in Zermatt. Just a couple of questions: are piste conditions generally good at that time of the year, and can anybody recommend a good ski school?
snow report
@inthecold,

This is a marketting scheme by Crystal ...

The Lift Company in the Arlberg ((( https://www.arlbergerbergbahnen.com/de/winter/ ))) does (never) give these kind of offers or even discounts ...

Crystal is small operator (in terms of number of tourists) in the region...
Not even the large Scandinavian Tour Operators who bring thousands of tourists to the Arlberg get any discount..

Crystal will be absorbing this liftpass deal with increased Holiday prices compared to last season....

But I think Crystal has managed to convince its consumers to feal good about the deal....
snow conditions
@stanton,

You should long know that https://www.arlbergerbergbahnen.com/de/winter/ is only St.Anton…not Lech…

The accurate link is: www.skiarlberg.at
snow report
@stanton, oh I’ve no doubt but it’s better than paying the inflated price with no discount/offer, so I’ll take it. I ask about piste conditions in early March as I assumed it’d be a “sure thing” but last year’s snow report thread had talk of slushiness around that time, so just curious what the typical year is like (if there is such a thing).
snow conditions
@inthecold, one of the best decisions you ever made. You'll se the very first morning how amazing the local pistes are (the blue two hundreds).
Much longer and enjoyable than the ones above Zermatt.
Others will soon recommend a good instructor, I just wanted to make you feel good about the local area.
I have been there twice early March, last time was this year. A bit slushy towards lunch time, but you can always start first thing in the morning and at lunch time go higher and enjoy.
snow report
@inthecold, If you can mange to get a discount on the lift pass cost, well done, ski passes are not cheap (personally I think it is worth it, the Arlberg is one of the best ski areas around). Snow & weather are different every year. In all probability conditions in early March will be good but clearly there is a range of possibilities from wet and rainy every day to snow every night and blue skies every day. Given your skiing level I wouldnt worry to much, it might get somewhat softer in the afternoons but it will not detract from what is likely to be a great ski holiday. The best tip is to get as fit as possible before your week, it will make things easier & more enjoyable.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy