Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2023/2024 (Dec 1 - April 21)

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for tuning in last season ...the best of last season was left until the end ... Lets hope for a Mega Early Season Dump ....

The lifts have been still for nearly 3 days so its about time to start thinking about the 2023/2024 season Happy

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Albona 1 New Gondola

Already underway ..They have snow cleared the access to the construction sites .. New Pylons & new Mountain Station adjacent to the Albona Resturant..

THe old chairs are piled up in the Stuben Car Park .. Excavations at the base are already at at an advanced stage ...

https://www.facebook.com/100057504757554/videos/762077552208857

https://www.melzer-hopfner.at/8eub-albona-i/

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Prices

Folks you should brce yourselves for some significant price hikes (Accomodations etc)

THere is a discussion over here on the Dutch Forum some posters are reporting 30% increases

https://www.wintersport.nl/forum/topic/529479

Probably to pay for makeovers like this one at the Hotel Post!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=610489811110129&set=a.554313593394418

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 14-08-23 14:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pub37 posted this on FB:

Quote:
Coming soon, for this summer only, a Pub37 pop up. All your favourite summer fun, great drinks, quiz nights, top music and maybe even your favourite mathematical food. A triangle within a circle in a square box. Stay Tuned.....Coming soon.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Price Increases

Here you go Folks...

St. Anton Tourist Association has held a außerordentlichen Generalversammlung (Extraordinary General Meeting) and wants to increase the Tourist tax from €3 to €5 pernight ... They say to pay for new proects like the Ski World Championships ..

but also increase the compulsory contribution of the more than 1,300 member companies (this will be all the accomodations, restuarants, shops, Bars etc)

If aproved St Anton will have the Highest Tourist Tax in The Tirol

https://tirol.orf.at/stories/3208324/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Einreichung 10MGD Rifflbahn I Submission (10 Person Gondola) replacement for Riffel 1

This is probably going to go where the orignal plans for Kappl connection (but not over to Monfontal) Lower Valley station somewhere near Rossfall then upto the Riffelscharte... They done already done all the scoping, surveys & plans for this back pre 2009

http://www.atelier-gstrein.at/referenzen.php
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stanton, are you suggesting the base station will be further south(?) towards the Rossfall?

I take it that the gondola will replace Riffelbahn 1 & 2, presumably with a mid-station?

Any info on the timeline for this project?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ulmerhutte, Probably starts around Maas bottom station.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ulmerhutte, @Markymark29,

THe original plans for the Kappl link was for a Gondola Station lower down in the Roßfall (expansion area) with new feeder Pistes ....taking roughly same Traject as Riffel 1

I cant see them putting a Gondola upto Riffelscharte ... This terrain is for advanced & experts it would not justify the costs for a limited amount of passengers ...

So therefore Riffel 2 would just remain as it is now...

Placing the station at Mass would just funnel everyone down to the same point ..

Maybe there doing this in the hope that one day obections to the Kappl link will go away .... so the link up will be quicker to construct..

Lets not destroy Rendl.

Lets hope it NEVER happens !!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton wrote:

Maybe there doing this in the hope that one day obections to the Kappl link will go away .... so the link up will be quicker to construct.

You know, I wondered the same thing when I saw it is planned to be a 10-seater gondola. It seemed like serious overkill just to replace Riffel 1 & maybe 2. A 4-seater detachable would probably do the job easily, but if you are going to build it, then perhaps allow for future growth and make it a 6-seater. I assume the cost difference would not be that great.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ulmerhutte, I get fed up taking my skis off all the time to jump on gondolas - Zug, Schindler, Albona, all backward steps in my view - spoiling the enjoyment of being outdoors and having to sit facing folks I don’t know rather than looking at the scenery. I know it’s all about maximum uplift/ hour etc for the ABBAG company but it’s getting away from what I really like….progress eh?! Hope it never happens at Hinterrendl.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Especially for you@Markymark29, there is a "hybrid" lift at Lenk/Adelboden.
Gondolas and 6person chairs on the same rope. You select how you want to travel and take the appropriate access through the turnstiles.
On the whole I think I generally go for the chair.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
10 person gondolas are the current go-to lifts. I think because they are the optimum balance between capacity, efficient loading and future proof all abilities access. I think some of the newest gondolas can even run without any staff !
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Markymark29, I think gondolas have their place, eg Flexenbahn, Auenfeldjet, Galzigbahn, and Rendlbahn. Possibly also Nassereinbahn. IMHO they are appropriate where there is a long lift run, bi-directional travel is common, and high volumes.

I too prefer chairs on shorter rides - much less messing about with not having to remove skis. Loading is less fraught, ie you don’t have people trying shove their way through a gondola door. Finally, a covered chair is best the of both worlds, ie hood up on nice days and enjoy the sunshine, hood down when the weather is brutal.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ulmerhutte, yeah, no problem with main uplift gondolas, they do a great job. Not much point my disliking the ones replacing chairs on the hill to be fair, they’re there to stay!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AnsbacherHütte (Flirsch) renovations underway ... Still buried in Snow...

http://youtube.com/v/I1yqaHu5zKE

https://www.ansbacherhuette.at/

History Lesson

http://youtube.com/v/7ZzfuPIhmaM
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Rogerdodger, no need to go to Lenk, there is a "combibahn" @Arlberg too. (Auenfeld-Weibermahd) in Lech.
ski holidays
@Langerzug, impressive technology that lift system
snow conditions
From FB:

Quote:
PUB37 AT FLORIANI...PUB37 AT FLORIANI...PUB37 AT FLORIANI

This summer from June13 the Pub will move just up the hill to Floriani. All your favourites with the added bonus of PIZZA. A fantastic balcony with great views to relax on with an Ice cold beer or Guinness. The great choice of Gins, Whiskies, Tequilas and Rums will still be available along with great Music, Games, Quiz Nights and a surprise or two. More details to follow but keep June the 13th in you diary....

Pub 37 zieht nach FLORIANI........Diesen Sommer ab dem 13. Juni wird der Pub gleich den Berg hinauf nach Floriani umziehen. Alle Ihre Favoriten mit dem zusätzlichen Bonus von PIZZA.
ski holidays
There has been a Combi lift ""Chondola"" in Telluride and first in the USA since 1994 !!!

______________________________________________________________________________________

Pub 37 new location is just for the Summer ONLY .

______________________________________________________________________________________

A Brown Bear has be lurking near the towns Graveyard and crossed paths with woman & her son .
Erzherzog-Eugen Weg, about 200 meters above the cemetery.

The municipality has reported the incident to the state, has informed the shepherds and farmers and has sent the population a newsletter to inform them about the bear,

There is also concern about Wolfs and the real threat to farmers livestock...

A few years ago, several sheep were grabbed by a bear in St. Anton and hundreds of animals had to be taken from the mountain pastures. That is not yet the case.

Bears & Wolfs have some kind of protection but it seems they need the EU to lower the protection threashold ..
(I have no idea on this subject)

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/ein-baer-wurde-nahe-des-friedhofs-gesichtet_a6080469?ref=curate

Latest .. SPÖ (Social Democratic Party) are calling for the Bear to be Shot ..
snow conditions
A NEW Era for Lech

The Two Largest Ski Lift compnays in Lech ""Skilifte Lech Ing. Bildstein GmbH (SSL)"" and ""Rüfikopf Seilbahn AG""" (Rüfibahn)

are planning a merger also with associated Lift comapanys "Seillifte Oberlech" and "Roter Schrofen KG"

It is the first step in a fundamental restructuring and frees up new forces for the future-oriented development of the entire destination.

The new company will called ""Lech Bergbahnen AG""

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/neue-aera-in-der-wiege-des-schneesports_a6093771

PAywall

https://www.vol.at/lecher-liftgesellschaften-vor-fusion-neue-aera-am-arlberg/8122975
snow conditions
Finally all existance & the history of ""Aus""länder in St Anton have been eradicated .... Very Happy Very Happy

ski holidays
Qué?
snow report
boabski wrote:
Qué?

It's the 'underground' being demolished
latest report
@JohnS4, No doubt being replaced by yet another 4*+ hotel or another clothes shop!
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@JohnS4, No doubt being replaced by yet another 4*+ hotel or another clothes shop!

Yes, a sad day, whatever peoples view of the underground, it and it's eccentric owner was undeniably a bit of St Anton history in it's two (or 3?) different locations.

There are too many bars disappearing from St Anton over the last few years. There's only so many clothes shops that are needed in one town, but you can never have too many bars (IMHO Happy)

The conversion of the piccadilly into a cafe bar also seemed strange. I cant understand why they did that, it was always packed before, now there hardly seems to be anyone in it.
snow conditions
ST. ANTON ARLBERG, STANZERTAL (otko). The planned increase in the residence tax in the association area of the TVB has been in force for weeks. St. Anton am Alrberg A topic of conversation throughout the Stanzertal. The tourist tax will be increased from three euros to five euros as of 1 November 2023. This is currently the highest possible rate allowed by the State of Tyrol. The compulsory contributions will also be increased – here too the maximum rate of 15.8 per mille will be levied in the future.

During the extraordinary general meeting of the TVB St. Anton am Arlberg on 28 June, the local tax will be increased to five euros.

An online petition mobilizes against the possible maximum rate for the residence tax. More than 631 signatures
so far

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/kurtaxenerhoehung-auf-fuenf-euro-sorgt-fuer-wirbel_a6121232

________________________________________________________________________________________________
@JohnS4,

There has been an active Gemeinde policy (noise & nuisance) to close down Bars & Nightlife in the Town ..

Close Down means make it very difficult for them to operate . They even want to curtail/restrict Apres ski on the Hill

If you want downtown Apres ski , Bars, etc you be better off going to Mayrhofen, Saalbach,Solden Ischgl etc !!
ski holidays
Storm in a glass of water: Sölden already has 4 euro, and now St.Anton has 5 euro. Sounds perfectly logical.
snow report
@Langerzug, You appear to be one of those people who nonchalantly dismisses a few cents or €1 or €2 increase but not looking at the actual increase as i pointed out 66.6% !

Can you imagine your weekly shoping bill, Electricity, Gas going up 66.6% ??

As others (op het Nederlands Forum) have pointed out to you @Liezen ......

"""""""""2 euros pp per day on your tourist tax, 2 euros pp on your accommodation, 2 euros pp on your ski pass, 2 euros pp on your lunch, 2 euros pp on dinner, 2 euros pp on your parking costs, 2 euros pp on your skis, 2 euros pp on your ski boots, 2 euros pp on your daily drinks. Suppose it is only 2 euros everywhere, even then you will soon be at 20 euros pp per day with the mentioned costs. Times 7 is already 140 euros pp per week.

If all costs were to go up by 66%, the end would be completely lost.""""""

I see the Admin over there has told you to STFU Very Happy Very Happy

If inflation is to be bought down, then 66.6% rise is not the way.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Albona 1 cosntruction site.

[b]
snow conditions
@stanton, not often I agree @Langerzug, but this is immaterial to the majority who visit the Arlberg. I agree that the St Anton TVB are wanting to change the character of the place, discourage the traditional sort of bars, promote 4 & 5 star hotels & apartments, sell yet more "outdoor" clothing no one needs etc. Yes it will upset those whose primary interest is skiing and dont have so much money (like many who contribute to skiing forums like this one) but they are not the "clients" the TVB wants anymore, if they cant afford to come in the future it wont be seen as any great loss. I think this is stupid but then I dont own a hotel in St Anton!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, everything related to travelling abroad is more expensive at the moment, be it inflation related/energy costs/increased demand post Covid etc.
The 2euros daily increase adds up to other increases as well, as you mentioned it, but people will still arrive and evth will be crowded in St. Anton because of the specific of this destination - and its reputation.
Maybe less dining outside in posh restaurants or less drinks at the apres, or a cheaper second destination for the season/spring time.
But they can go away with charging 10 euros for example, maddening as it is. Skullie
latest report
stanton wrote:
... 140 euros pp per week ...

Price of a decent bottle of wine. It's the hospitality industry of the Arlberg that will suffer, mostly centred on St Anton. I've got a couple of trips planned for Jan/March 2024 with Self-Catering/Apartment accommodation looking favourite, none of it actually in St Anton town. As per usual I'm doing Fly/Drive so the "commute" from accommodation to lift system is irrelevant, so sadly stanton the taxis will miss out on my custom! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@stanton, your reaction suggests you need a summer-psychiatrist. Urgently.

Recently I talked to a friend who stayed in a nice small family run pension in January in St.Anton. There also was a group of noisy English guys there. They were misbehaving all week in the breakfast room, in the wellness, everywhere, completely ignoring the overall atmosphere and the other guests.
St.Anton used to be an upmarket place. Not anymore....Tourist tax must go much, much higher! And accommodations should -that way- be forced to include the tax in their published prices.
snow report
The tourist tax doesn't bother me, and within reason I can live with hotel price increases, but if all the apres ski bars end up closing down or severely restricted why would anyone stay in St Anton rather than Lech ?

The latter is more central in the Arlberg ski-area, it's the apres-ski which differentiates St Anton from Lech (or Zurs).

Or maybe I'd just head to Ischgl instead. It would be sad after being a visitor for 30years but I guess they are looking for a different sort of customer now.
snow report
JohnS4 wrote:
The tourist tax doesn't bother me, and within reason I can live with hotel price increases, but if all the apres ski bars end up closing down or severely restricted why would anyone stay in St Anton rather than Lech, you can still ski the same entire area from there.

The latter is more central in the Arlberg ski-area, it's the apres-ski which differentiates St Anton from Lech (or Zurs).

Or maybe I'd just head to Ischgl instead. It would be sad after being a visitor for 30years but I guess they are looking for a different sort of customer now.
snow conditions
@JohnS4, Maybe you missed it, but Ischgl too is (trying) moving in the Lech direction....Still far away though. They are all a bit fed up with the modern side-effects of apres-ski, so it appears....
snow conditions
[quote="skimastaaah"]
stanton wrote:
stanton the taxis will miss out on my custom! Toofy Grin

I only do privates from Switzerland to Arlberg (mainly Lech) but also further east to Kitz..

Tourist tax ..For me is not an issue. i have real estate down valley ..

However, for tourist companys, Hotels is will already be having an impact on their committed bookings ..

@JohnS4, Apres Ski .... Are you a 50-60 year old ridiculous pseudo teenager ?? You should be in bed resting for the next days sliding ... Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
stanton wrote:

@JohnS4, Apres Ski .... Are you a 50-60 year old ridiculous pseudo teenager ?? You should be in bed resting for the next days sliding ... Very Happy Very Happy

I just like a few beers preferably with a bit of live music after skiing all day, I don't have any problems getting up the next day. Maybe it's just you that's too old for any fun !
snow report
JohnS4 wrote:
The tourist tax doesn't bother me, and within reason I can live with hotel price increases, but if all the apres ski bars end up closing down or severely restricted why would anyone stay in St Anton rather than Lech ?

For slightly discerning folk there are many more differences between St.Anton and Lech
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
@stanton, your reaction suggests you need a summer-psychiatrist. Urgently.

Recently I talked to a friend who stayed in a nice small family run pension in January in St.Anton. There also was a group of noisy English guys there. They were misbehaving all week in the breakfast room, in the wellness, everywhere, completely ignoring the overall atmosphere and the other guests.
St.Anton used to be an upmarket place. Not anymore....Tourist tax must go much, much higher! And accommodations should -that way- be forced to include the tax in their published prices.

I've seen Dutch, German and French tourists misbehave (and others); not just the English. Tourist tax of €100 a day wouldn't make them behave better, banning all-male groups might.
snow report
@James the Last,
Come and have a look around in Amsterdam. It's the English that are worst. Not the French, not the Germans, not the Spanish, not the Italian, not the Scandi's
A 100 euro tourist tax would certainly ban many -young- male groups.
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
@James the Last,
Come and have a look around in Amsterdam. It's the English that are worst. Not the French, not the Germans, not the Spanish, not the Italian, not the Scandi's
A 100 euro tourist tax would certainly ban many -young- male groups.

That might well be true in Amsterdam, but this discussion is about St Anton, and in the hoards of noisy drunks that head down from the Moose/KK after 8pm, the majority are not English. There are as many Germans/Dutch people behaving badly. Also the Scandinavians for whom many the drinks are much cheaper than at home. Also English speaking from other countries eg Ireland, Australia etc.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy