Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What avi bag?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
An avalanche airbag is essentially a large, tough balloon that inflates when you pull a cord or handle. This handle is sometimes called the 'trigger'. When you pull the cord, the balloon rapidly inflates.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Err, yep - I think the contributors on this thread know what an avi bag is rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I've gone for the Osprey Soelden Pro 32. The E2 system gets good reviews. Mainly based on ease of flying, ability to do multiples pulls on one charge so I can test it and no hesitate to pull in the 'wild'. Also its the newest tech so should be good for like the next 10 years.

Downsides are as I expected, man that bag is heavy (3kg) and its very noticeable vs my non airbag bag. Hope I don't mind it too much whilst touring, plus the 32l capacity is reduced by the system.

Bag itself seems decent with good space, zips, carry straps avy section etc.

Just back from 2 weeks of using my Osprey E2. Totally love it. Great purchase.

Absolutely no issues at security at LHR, DEL or Srinagar. Obviously doesn't flash up as an anything exciting on the xray. Bag did get looked at for other things (bag of AA and AAA batteries) but the actual avy or super capacitor stuff didn't have any interest for them.

Bag is very comfortable on the back and stable, didn't really notice it at all whilst riding.

Love the huge avy pocket.
Love the big clamshell opening of the main compartment.
The top pocket inside the main compartment is useful for suncream etc.

Helmet carry, A frame and very snowboard carry all good.

Once the bag was in use I didn't *really* notice the extra weight TBH. The additional liter of water I chucked in on some days was more noticeable.

Didn't find the lack of goggle pocket annoying, I just put them in the top of the main bag with their cover material thingy on.

Charged it up, put in the 2x AA batteries and left it on for 2 weeks. Still showing full charge.

The only slight negatives for me are:
- Size. It is a little bit tight for me to get decent day touring kit inside along with my Z poles. If I had to carry boot crampons as well it would be too small. It is very comfortable size if poles go outside so maybe better for skiiers than splitboarders.
- Not platypus compatible. I do prefer being able to take a sip of water often when touring up. I think I will invest in one of those dynafit shoulder straps for a small bottle.

This one isn't really a negative, but the straps are very secure and hard to adjust. Once they are set they aren't going anywhere. So if you put on a massive puffy or something you might find the shoulder straps are a little tight and its hard to adjust quickly on the fly.

100% would recommend.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kat.ryb wrote:
- Not platypus compatible. I do prefer being able to take a sip of water often when touring up. I think I will invest in one of those dynafit shoulder straps for a small bottle.

I don't think any of the airbag rucksacks come with or are compatible with hydration systems. Consequently, my working presumption has been that hydration systems must present some sort of safety issue in combination with airbags.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jabuzzard, Not the case, my new BCA bag has a conduit to feed a variety of hydration systems through and what is termed a “stash pocket” where the bladder can sit. My previous Snowpulse bag was also compatible, although the tube route was a little exposed and in consequence was more liable to freeze - unless I remembered to blow the fluid back after every use.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jabuzzard, Mammut Snowpulse are completely compatible (my version is at least), to the extent of having a enclosed zip compartment for the tube which is a show stopper for me. I'm amazed how many avi packs don't have an enclosed tube given how easily they freeze (even with an insulating sleeve).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Scott E1 bags are also ‘compatible’…. The drink hose goes thro’ whichever shoulder strap doesn’t have the trigger cable, and then routes ‘underneath’ the inflatable part into the main compartment. What’s missing is a ‘hanger’ strap to keep the drink pouch upright, and a compartment for said pouch. My water pouch is an ‘otter’ one, which is in an insulated bag, and it sits nicely next to the fan.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hamilton, do you have a link to the bladder that works for you? How easy is it to route?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kitenski, they're all a PITA to thread in my experience. The trick is to get the detachable Camelbak system so you thread it once then just unclip the bag to fill it up. Also recommend getting the insulated tube. Even if you have an enclosed tube system pack it still regularly freezes.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski, I've got numerous different bladders (mainly decathlon), all of which route easily through my Scott E1. Took me a while to get the hang of where the hose goes (underneath the airbag, as @hamilton says), but once you've got it sussed, the process takes about 10 seconds. The smaller/straighter the mouthpiece, the easier it is.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dr John, @snowdave, thanks both will have a play later on now my E2 has arrived!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kitenski, my experience with back-packs and bladders is quite a bit as I'm sure you'd even appreciate Toofy Grin

And I've had a few mares with them, the last thing I would do would be to have one, in my electric backpack for obvious reasons!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy