Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heads up - Car rentals

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Many of the prices being mentioned for the French side are impressively cheap, but I would urge you to check the desk opening times directly with the rental company before you book.

I don't think the opening times on the comparison sites such as rentalcars etc. can be relied on. Also check that the opening times you are looking at are for the dates you are booking for, rather than the current date.

There are several online reviews where people have turned up to collect their car with a pre-booked evening collection and found the desks are already shut.

For example, one reviewer had a 5pm Saturday booking and arrived to find the desk closed at 4pm.

It's possible that the reviews are false or due to Covid hours etc. - if so it'd be great to hear back from other snowHeads who use the French side and collect at relatively unsociable hours.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

“Geneva Airport” which I assume is the French side as it shuts at 2000.

Heroic assumption?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, as I said earlier, I'd be very suspicious of those "£57 for a week" quotes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

“Geneva Airport” which I assume is the French side as it shuts at 2000.

Heroic assumption?

Well it’s not the Swiss side as that closes at 2230, so unless there’s a third Europcar office at the airport I’d say it’s a pretty good guess.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, I've managed to find that now - listed as "Geneva Airport France" but nothing less than about £300 for a week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Yes, as I said earlier, I'd be very suspicious of those "£57 for a week" quotes.

Not sure there should be reason for suspicion. The booking says "From the Arrivals hall, go up to the Departure level and turn right. Follow the signs for 'Secteur France'. Cross the customs on the right.
Pick-up location
Aéroport de Genève, Genève, France, 01210"

The open hours are 8am - 8pm and my pick up would be around midday anyway.

I've just searched again on Europcar, prices from around £15 a day in January, so still decent
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I guess there'll be lots of extras, including even basic (i.e. compulsory) insurance and driving across border. Does sound really cheap though. Nothing like that available when I'm looking in March/April. Basic around £36 a day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are planning anything other than a straightforward pick up or drop off straight after arrival or departure be aware you can't transit between the French and Swiss sides without a boarding card for that day. Last time I was hanging about waiting for my lift in the French car park there were five people (two couples and a solo) trapped on the French side having dropped off hire cars with no way out other than trying to get a taxi company to come round to collect them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What a pain! The system for that transit has changed a lot over the years.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, it certainly has! I suspect it's to do with the ongoing rebuilding project.....if you're arriving French side to catch an international flight you have to go into the airport through baggage reclaim and back out through customs to get to the check in/bag drop area.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I once had to pick up someone with no "papers" for Switzerland (Zimbabwe passport). I'd had to get an "attestation d'acceuil" from the local Mairie for him. Their baggage was in the international baggage hall but he wasn't allowed to go and get it.
It was all very complicated and I can't remember the details. I took a chance and drove out straight into Switzerland and through Bardonnex but we might have been turned back at the border and I had the route through St Julien ready. Sometimes that little "Alice through the Looking Glass" passageway between the two parts of the airport has been really easy to just walk through. But at other times, not. I did that dance through baggage reclaim and back out once, with a party of 12 of us in 3 French-hired cars, flying out international. We were late for our flight and the whole thing was a nightmare - I had to run out of the customs hall, leaving the others to manhandle luggage, several kids and my disabled mother, and all the way to easyJet check in, waiting to be shot in the back the whole time. That passageway seemed to be closed on that occasion, many years ago.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That sounds like madness! They've got rid of the glass corridor (I used to find that like a mirror maze on the pier!) it's been replaced with a wander through the arrivals duty free shop or a single security station which gets you through to the gates if you're checked in with hand luggage only.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy