Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heads up - Car rentals

Poster: A snowHead
Just had some success rebooking a car rental under Black Friday/ Cyber Monday pricing with Holiday Autos. May be worth a look if you feel you didn't get a great price first time out. Of course best to book the new booking then cancel the old when the new comes through.

Obviously may vary by destination / timing but was pleasantly surprised.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dave of the Marmottes, certainly looks like rental prices are dropping. We were in Scotland - arriving Edinburgh - a couple of weeks ago and rented. as the price had fallen from around €500 for a tiny car for the week when we booked the flights to €150 ...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its certainly cheaper than the other booking sites for a car needed in April but that seems to be as it's got the Keddy brand coming up (the other brands are the same price) but those guys don't get great reviews, even as car rental companies go.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the heads up, I've just rebooked our car hire for our trip at the end of January. I didn't use Holiday Autos, although I have used them many time before, but this time went direct with Sicily By Car. I've used them before and they have a 20% off Black Friday code on their website.

The reason I went direct is they have a priority pick up option which I've wished I had on previous occasions.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avoid Holiday Autos like the plague! If your flight is delayed, the rental company will automatically list you as a "no show", and no refund. I know from experience. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Surely if you are asked to input your flight details, then they know if your a no show or your flights delayed?

Anyway, its the car rental desk that must have denied you a car, not Holiday Autos. HA can only go on the information provided back to them from the rental company. Its the rental company you should have a gripe with.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jafa, +1
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good call @Dave of the Marmottes, Just rebooted and got a better car and saved £120
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HA are just a broker.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Argus Car hire have been consistently decent pricing for me over the past 12 months, and used their 24 hour before cancellation to great delight when I realised I'd been hyper organised and already booked a hire car at much reduced rates for last April vs one booked closer to the departure date!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
Argus Car hire have been consistently decent pricing for me over the past 12 months, and used their 24 hour before cancellation to great delight when I realised I'd been hyper organised and already booked a hire car at much reduced rates for last April vs one booked closer to the departure date!!

Argus are Holiday Autos - they're all just brand names for CarTrawler
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, never knew that, do they all allow 24 hour cancellation at no charge?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HA is 48 Hour I think
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A quick look and a minivan I booked for 2 weeks in March is now £600 more than I paid back in May... I'll keep my orginal booking!

I've been looking for a minivan for a week in September in Sicily, saw one last week at £550, got the rest of the holiday booked and now can't find one for under £1k rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I prefer Rentalcars, they include chains on most offers and 24 or 48 hr cancellations, Holiday Autos don’t do chains.
ski holidays
geoffknight wrote:
I prefer Rentalcars, they include chains on most offers and 24 or 48 hr cancellations, Holiday Autos don’t do chains.

£88 to hire snowchains at rental cars for me.
ski holidays
I usually go via rentalcars, if I can’t get the same deal direct. It used to be that direct you couldn’t get the 48 hour cancellation (or any cancellation for that matter) but that seems to have changed.

But I haven’t seen free chains for a while. I think thats down to the rental cos policies themselves.
latest report
@james75, @ster, I’m currently looking at Venice Marco Polo for mid March, and chains are included on some deals.
snow conditions
@geoffknight, that's interesting, and they will get you out of most snowy conditions, does that also include winter tyres which would be good to have for day-to-day driving in snowy conditions?
ski holidays
I've used both HolidayAutos and Rentalcars and never paid for chains. They've just been supplied with the cars by the rental companies (HolidayAutos+Rental cars just being agents).

Edit.
Actually just remembered that last year I hired a van from Europcar at Chambery via HA and they didn’t come with that. Was charged €60 for snow socks but when I returned then they said keep them. Luckily I had room in my holdall.
snow conditions
@ster, I’m afraid not, I think it’s only the major players that offer winter tyres, Hertz, Avis etc Ve just reserved an economy group car for £135 inc chains, will keep checking and swap if a better deal comes up at any stage before I go.
ski holidays
Good post, ive just done the same and saved £40 for a bigger hire car from GVA.

Does anyone know the typical hire cost of chains or socks from the rental companies?
snow report
dh900 wrote:

Does anyone know the typical hire cost of chains or socks from the rental companies?

Also just saved nearly £100 rebooking direct with europcar - much bigger car too!!

£307 for 6 days -

£230 for the car & 84 Euro for chains. Not much choice really as Snow chains compulsory where we're going. Quote mentioned winter tyre included but not convinced about them so went for chains.
snow conditions
dh900 wrote:

In answer to your question I have seen quotes between £56 and £108 for chains. I have paid 84 Euros for chains. Snow socks were about 20 Euro cheaper but I'm sure I've read somewhere that socks aren't considered sufficient in some resorts?
ski holidays
It's good that the mad high costs seem to be coming down. Blush
ski holidays
Managed to book an automatic car from geneva french side 17-25 December for 100 quid, 8 days. Directly with Europcar, prices certainly going down.
snow report
shuriccc wrote:
Managed to book an automatic car from geneva french side 17-25 December for 100 quid, 8 days. Directly with Europcar, prices certainly going down.

£100?? Waw couldn't see anything under £55 A DAY for those dates. You certainly seem to have a fantastic deal there.
ski holidays
@james75, there’s been some very strange europcar pricing. Feb half term under £200 from Swiss side, but only worked for a 10am collection. 4pm was £500!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some of these very low recent prices seem literally (and I mean that literally....) unbelievable.
snow report
snowdave wrote:
@james75, there’s been some very strange europcar pricing. Feb half term under £200 from Swiss side, but only worked for a 10am collection. 4pm was £500!

I paid £307 (including snow chains) for 6 days in Feb half term which I thought was cheap considering some other sites wanted upwards of 600.
latest report
pam w wrote:
It's good that the mad high costs seem to be coming down. Blush

It shows how long it takes to re-establish that product train with all it's supply intricacies from initial winding down during first stages of covid. Other business channels appear to be reporting now oversupply (matched against current consumer purchasing capacity) with warehouses filling rapidly in preparation for seasonal buying patterns normally expected.

Also shows just why car production needs to buffer capacity through hire business in normal trading too. Maybe even cheaper next year Very Happy
latest report
Quote:
I think it’s only the major players that offer winter tyres
They usually come up as included in the prices on Auto Europe, who have always had decent prices - well at least until the recent price madness rolling eyes
ski holidays
In Switzerland they'll all have winter tyres, because as I understand it, they are legally required. But that's not the case in France or Italy. It's sometimes possible to pay extra and have winter tyres, but not always.
latest report
james75 wrote:
£100?? Waw couldn't see anything under £55 A DAY for those dates. You certainly seem to have a fantastic deal there.

I think it was a black Friday deal or something, 300+ now for the same dates. Plus it does not allow me to book further than 25.12 just says no cars available, certainly something weird with the Europcar website and pricing
snow report
snowdave wrote:

renting many times from Geneva, Swiss side rentals are better. With winter tires, with Swiss vignetter and generally betters choice of cars, longer opening hours. Personally, i am prepared to pay 20-30% more to rent the swiss side

with Europcar i use discount code 45450563 when searching for the car and then coupon THANKYOU10 at checkout
ski holidays
when renting Swiss side and going into France check what the International Recovery charges are from the hire company should you breakdown in France!
snow report
Just to add my 2 pence worth. My requirements have been 8 days (14-21 Jan), Geneva (French Side), small/economy car.
Have been booking and cancelling a few times after finding better, but think I've finally landed a winner!

18/09/22, £396.81, Enterprise (direct)
20/10/22, £346.01, Budget (direct)
13/11/22, £194.21, Keddy by Europcar (via rentcars.com)
30/11/22, £57.70, Europcar (via rentalcars.com)

Was very pricey before, now (albeit for a short period) very cheap.
snow report
I've looked at Europcar and can't seem to choose the French side, or Ferney Voltaire - only comes up with "Geneva airport". And nothing like that sort of price. Well over £300 even for small car. Will keep looking
snow report
Large equipped vehicles in Canada, $540CDN a week at the moment.
snow report
@pam w I use the Europcar app and if I search for “Geneva” I get Cointrin (the Swiss side) and “Geneva Airport” which I assume is the French side as it shuts at 2000.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy