Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2022-2023 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
ski3 wrote:
kettonskimum wrote:
Not been to GM before and have based us at Morillon Les Esserts - hopefully a good choice??

One of our favourite places to stay in GM, that's as a family plus other families joining us.

Very convenient for snow access, good home run piste, all wide gentle to return on. Fairly quick to get out into the rest of GM but decent amount to ski locally.

Obviously snow conditions harder to read this year than many, but being predominantly shady in North aspect it does generally keep thatt which has accumulated well.

Hope you enjoy the week.

Ditto. We’ve returned to GM numerous times. Les Esserts is a great base to access all areas. Sairon blue run home is one of my favourites. Wide cruisey blue. Easy access to les carroz and it’s tree lined pistes if the light is bad. Plenty of good places to eat out and a fairly well stocked small supermarket if you’re flying not driving and can’t bring supplies or shop on the way. We are out at the end of the month staying in Samoens for the first time. Look forward to hearing how you get on.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cheburator wrote:
backhojo wrote:
its carnage in GM. too many people. horrendous queues at the access points. morillion was awful. best place to access is les carroz 1500 if you have a car...the crowds are in 1200, so drive past them 10mins up the mountain. luckily we are staying down the valley bottom in magland so have bailed out and skied in megeve...much nicer ! still busy but not stupid

Our experience could not have been more different. Perfectly pisted and empty Grand Cret every morning down to Vercland. Followed by perfect corduroy down to Morrilon and more of the same in Le Carroz. Did I mention various pockets of powder off Coulovier and around Gers/Sixt?

But yes, in general it is utterly crap, so don’t bother coming (just so there is more of the good stuff for us) Toofy Grin

are there not any queues at vercland in the morning ? i think our issue is that we are driving in from out of the resorts so finding a way in that isnt full of huge queues is tricky. all the large carparks are rammed and consequently the access lifts are incredibly busy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@backhojo, I chose Vercland as my choice of lift when in Morillon Village. Seemed very quiet (in a quieter week) and I think won't get too many from Morillon or Samoens using it. If you go at the wrong time you may have a longer queue up at 1600 though so I'd go first thing or a bit later.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cheburator wrote:
backhojo wrote:
its carnage in GM. too many people. horrendous queues at the access points. morillion was awful. best place to access is les carroz 1500 if you have a car...the crowds are in 1200, so drive past them 10mins up the mountain. luckily we are staying down the valley bottom in magland so have bailed out and skied in megeve...much nicer ! still busy but not stupid

Our experience could not have been more different. Perfectly pisted and empty Grand Cret every morning down to Vercland. Followed by perfect corduroy down to Morrilon and more of the same in Le Carroz. Did I mention various pockets of powder off Coulovier and around Gers/Sixt?

But yes, in general it is utterly crap, so don’t bother coming (just so there is more of the good stuff for us) Toofy Grin

Perhaps somewhere inbetween Smile .

I'd say the lift station plus car park above Les Carroz 1500 might be a good option. Quiet lift, piste will be fine at end of the day, only downside perhaps the next lift (either a trek over to the one in Flaine direction, ski down to 1500, or lift up to Tete des Saix).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Best snow in the Grand Massif must be on the blue 'la peuf'. Try doing some circuits of that piste though Very Happy.

Trivia: is this the hardest lift served run to do "laps of" in the world?!

Required (minimum): 1 bus journey, 5 lifts (including one of the longest drag lifts in the world), one off-piste black (decent vertical), some polling/skating, one other long piste of 10+ km, and finally four additional pistes Smile.

Contender: Lagazuoi red run between Cortina and San Cassiano depending on the rules. You could catch a taxi if the road was open but otherwise this loop is a once per day only option due to the logistics involved whereas the one above you could at least manage a few times.

Contender: Madloch ski route in Lech going down to Zug if ski routes are allowed in the rules. This is probably less difficult though than the two above even if it's not a simple circuit of the piste.

Contender: One I've not skied, the red run into Samnaun Dore from the Austrian side. Not the winner but a good slog none the less.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 16-02-23 12:06; edited 6 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's a great trivia question @Millom, and I think you might well be right, in western Europe anyway!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been skiing Fred via Lindars Nord above Flaine first thing and it's been great, had the place to ourselves for a few days but getting a little busier now as the ski schools get to it.
The slower lift limits throughput and keeps the pistes relatively empty.
Been avoiding things like the Chariande Express in Samoens 1600, that's always got a monster queue.
Overall fine though, considering it's half term, just avoid the bottlenecks.

http://youtube.com/v/jZlkMyLwjgE
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fred is one of my favourite pistes! Another good trivia question, that those with a long history in the area might know the answer to, is how it got its name...... Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Millom, another contender: Les Vous black at nearby Roc d'Enfer. To get back to the top requires 6 lifts and 6 pistes:

(Grand Souvroz red piste, Torchon slow chair, Follys drag, Follys red, Lac drag, Chanterelle blue, Grande Terche red, Grande Terche gondola, Têtes slow chair, Chargeau red, Graydon slow chair, Grand Souvroz red. No bus journey at least!)

There's also the Les Pres black in the Espace Diamant. 1 bus, 4 slow chairlifts and four pistes. Obersaxen (Switzerland) red 48 or 49 are both similar.

Finally, red 11 at Axamer Lizum (Austria). This takes you to an entirely different ski area with no bus (as far as I know) to return!

Sorry, all off topic ..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cheburator wrote:

How does Marvel look at the moment?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
denfinella wrote:
@Millom, another contender: Les Vous black at nearby Roc d'Enfer. To get back to the top requires 6 lifts and 6 pistes:

(Grand Souvroz red piste, Torchon slow chair, Follys drag, Follys red, Lac drag, Chanterelle blue, Grande Terche red, Grande Terche gondola, Têtes slow chair, Chargeau red, Graydon slow chair, Grand Souvroz red. No bus journey at least!)

There's also the Les Pres black in the Espace Diamant. 1 bus, 4 slow chairlifts and four pistes. Obersaxen (Switzerland) red 48 or 49 are both similar.

Finally, red 11 at Axamer Lizum (Austria). This takes you to an entirely different ski area with no bus (as far as I know) to return!

Sorry, all off topic ..

Some good examples Smile I've skied Roc d'Enfer, Espace Diamant, and Axamer Lizum and those pistes ring a bell although I can't recall if I skied them all. Not skied at Obersaxen although I've been to quite a few nearby resorts.

Can't recall if there use to be a one way piste from Megeve to Les Contamines, although there isn't on the new map.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
michmike wrote:
cheburator wrote:

How does Marvel look at the moment?

It was beginning to get a little stony about 12 days ago and I wasn't sure how long it would remain open. Probably not at its best Sad but the top part of Chania blue going through the park gate was better than the rest of the options. Same for the red and blue race area higher up.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Morning folks… anyone been down the cascade run in the last 2/3 days… wondering what condition it’s in…? Thx Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not done it, still open just apparently although was shut at 2pm today. A few runs starting to get closed now.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thx @0836whimper, Eh oh!
latest report
Off topic but for longest laps going to suggest black below the Meierhoftili chair in klosters needing: a train to davos, a walk through town and both stages of a long funicular. Or the other way no walk but, train , 2 cable car stages and 2 chairlifts.
latest report
sj1608 wrote:
Fred is one of my favourite pistes! Another good trivia question, that those with a long history in the area might know the answer to, is how it got its name...... Smile

Been a few days now....c'mon then, who was/is Fred ?
latest report
AlpineAddict wrote:
Morning folks… anyone been down the cascade run in the last 2/3 days… wondering what condition it’s in…? Thx Very Happy

Outdated info *but* I would not do it as a beginner or intermediate until more snowfall. As an advanced skier who doesn't mind the bases of their skis getting a bit of a bashing then it might be worth the explore if done first thing in the morning.
snow report
I was told that Fred was the Swiss lawyer that represented local people as Flaine was built. He succeeded in getting them a fair deal (no idea what the deal was) and that the piste was named for him as a mark of respect. I've always assumed they chose this one as it is the highest piste in the domain.
ski holidays
Quote:

Morning folks… anyone been down the cascade run in the last 2/3 days… wondering what condition it’s in…? Thx

We did it Tuesday and Thursday just gone, Thursday we were slightly earlier at around 1010 and if anything it was in better condition than Tuesday about midday. There's a sign up (or was) saying no snow between markers 15 - 10 and I had visions of needing to walk some which wasn't necessary, it was perfectly skiable but very variable, hardback in places, slushy already in others and pretty stoney towards the end - it was an anxious look at the bases of the rental skis when we got to the bottom!
snow report
Hi, in the Grand Massif (based in Morillon 1100) since Saturday. Here's my take:

Considering there's been no new snow, things are pretty good. It's a mixed bag regarding slopes. Marmottes blue in Les Carroz has been a shocker by lunchtime. Being a bit of a pinch point, it resembles more of a red than a blue with all the soft moguls formed through traffic. Carnage. But it is a busy week. Lots of other pinchpoints suffering the same fate by 3pm if not earlier.

From what we've found, the cruisey blues are taking most of the brunt rather than reds. In fact, have found lots of reds in better nick making them easier!

20 degree heat today means it's more like spring skiing. Lots of little rocks and earthy patches showing up on pistes.

Haven't bothered with Cascades as think it would be a waste of time. Tried Marvel today and found it closed off with a sign saying 'thin snow' so a bit gutted.

Think the piste bashers are doing a great job at night smoothing everything out but they can't conjure up what's not there. I fear that more pistes will be closed off without new snow or lower temps.
latest report
@kettonskimum, sensible decision in respect to Cascades. Marvel showing as open tomorrow so could be good for a try first thing in the morning? Quite a few pistes now showing as closed which weren't a few days ago. Gers bowl seems permanently shut and I'm a little surprised. The two runs down to the valley at Samoens and Morillon might be worth a try at the moment particularly at the start of the day. Cascades still opening but that seems desperate and slightly strange considering what is shut.
ski holidays
Was at the top of Cascades yesterday. Roped off shut but still some people going through to do it. Guess they're ticking it off regardless of condition.

Earlier in the week we got to the bottom of Lapiaz red in Flaine to find red Jade closed with no option than a drag back up. Noticed some people taking no notice of the cordon so we joined them. Not really sure why it was closed as no more stony than some other reds.

Confused as to why Marvel might be open since there's been no new snow and it was closed Monday due to thin snow? They usually do a toboggan night on it Wednesday and Thursday nights so wonder if that's why?

Sairon (our run home) is one of the best blues ever. Even at the end of the day, while a little churned, it's still fab.
snow conditions
kettonskimum wrote:

Earlier in the week we got to the bottom of Lapiaz red in Flaine to find red Jade closed with no option than a drag back up. Noticed some people taking no notice of the cordon so we joined them. Not really sure why it was closed as no more stony than some other reds.

Was like that last week too, no warning about it...had to get the drag up and execute a premature dismount halfway to get across to the Le Diamant Noir chair.
snow report
@kettonskimum, this is the supposed day to day info but it was not always 100% accurate when I was there and they seem to be shutting Cascades early even when open. Overnight you'll see prepared rather than open which implies open the next day.

@0836whimper, Jade has been shown closed for at least a few days. The drag lift had been shut until the French School holidays along with the run to the right.

https://grandmassif.2dmap.spotlio.com/?locale=fr
snow conditions
Any snow today??
snow report
Not yet. Had a few flakes up high yesterday but nothing of any worth. Below 1600m it was rain.

Bit the bullet yesterday and tried the 'thin snow' Marvel run early afternoon. Once you pick your way through the initial crud, the piste is quite a delight!

Pistes are holding up really well considering sun/warmth/altitude/numbers of people. Saying that, took a chair up in Les Esserts to do a blue (which was closed - lots of patches of grass!) and a red (didn't do it as snow was mostly brown!). While that sounds awful, there's still plenty available and they key is timing and aspect!

Can't wait to return to Easter skiing (high) next year though. This is a GCSE year. We had to queue for 30 mins 2 days ago for the Vernant lift to get to Flaine. Nightmare.
ski holidays
kettonskimum wrote:
Not yet. Had a few flakes up high yesterday but nothing of any worth. Below 1600m it was rain.

Bit the bullet yesterday and tried the 'thin snow' Marvel run early afternoon. Once you pick your way through the initial crud, the piste is quite a delight!

Pistes are holding up really well considering sun/warmth/altitude/numbers of people. Saying that, took a chair up in Les Esserts to do a blue (which was closed - lots of patches of grass!) and a red (didn't do it as snow was mostly brown!). While that sounds awful, there's still plenty available and they key is timing and aspect!

Can't wait to return to Easter skiing (high) next year though. This is a GCSE year. We had to queue for 30 mins 2 days ago for the Vernant lift to get to Flaine. Nightmare.

Thanks hopefully the forecast is right for this weekend. I agree with you Marvel is fab such a long run and through the trees. Sairon is my favorite blue run. Have you tried Les Carroz area yet? Some great runs over there. Combe and Timelets and a lovely little restaurant La Fionn that does fab paninis on one of those.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What is the forecast for this weekend please?
We're arriving next weekend the 4th of March and I'm sure the conditions are going to be thin and bare on the ground without new snow.
snow report
Quote:

Have you tried Les Carroz area yet?

Spent day here, anticipating the luge at 3pm. We've popped over a couple of times but today was first around the Plein Soleil area and Gron. It's lovely! Yes, found Combe a few days back. Very nice. Same with Portet when returning from Flaine.

Have just stopped for hot chocs and chips on the brink of Timelets!!

Wouldn't trust the forecast until much nearer time. At the weekend snow was expected today. Yesterday it said cloud/rain but today is nice and sunny....just about holding the clouds off.

I think there will still be lots of snow around for a while but potentially more pistes closed.
ski holidays
Our tour of the northern Haute Savoie continued today with Grand Massif (not Flaine). No problem getting up from Les Carroz at 945 am, but once up high...so THAT'S where everyone is this week! Pistes went from rock hard to mush pretty fast, although there was a light dusting on Tete des Saix that improved the snow up there.

I called it a day at 230 after my legs turned to mush, too, from pushing around wet cement. That said, there's an impressive amount still open and there were some pockets of decent snow here and there, including toward the bottom of Combe.
ski holidays
@Pasigal, That's interesting - was a toss up between La Clusaz and Morillon Les Esserts for us this year. We went with Grand Massif having not been before. It's rammed (although you can get away from crowds on reds and lunchtimes) but horrendous at various pinchpoints, namely the end bit of Marmottes in Les Carroz. Just not fun.

Assumed, as our half term clashed with Paris week, the crowds would be the norm all over Haute Savoie this week.
latest report
Grand Massif @kettonskimum, deffo better conditions than La Clusaz (mind you, this is based on going to LGB and hearing that LC was worse). Always crowds in the Haute Savoie during Paris school breaks for sure, for me the issue is once up the hill, what's it like? The problem this year is that most lifts are open but a fair number of pistes are closed, so the same amount of people on fewer pistes ==> crowds...and pistes below 15-1600 m this week have been brutal to ski so people are avoiding them...I know I was...anyway, probably one more day tomorrow at Grand Massif with my son, then meeting friends Sat a.m. at Les Contamines...
ski holidays
Mrs NBT wrote:
What is the forecast for this weekend please?
We're arriving next weekend the 4th of March and I'm sure the conditions are going to be thin and bare on the ground without new snow.

Earlier in the week it was snow on Saturday/Sunday but as some say the forecasts have changed and are now saying 2cm instead of 10cm. Still looks like best hope for the next week so hoping some snow will fall. We are there Saturday so I will update. Looks like it’s all still skiable and we are red piste skiers so looks like they’re holding up best but we might go high to Flaine if the snow doesn’t come.
snow report
I've been boarding Marvel/Sairon > Dolna back down to Morillon quite a bit with the family since Weds and it's been fine once past the mushy/patchy bits at the top. Went over to Les Carroz yesterday. There were a few pistes that had warning signs saying 'Stones' and they're not kidding. Quite a few fist size rocks lying on top or just underneath the snow. Not fun. The start of the runs I took down from Tete Des Saix had turned into moguls by 3pm and in the mist it seemed pretty dangerous to me. I saw quite a few casualties.
ski holidays
Has anyone been on the Samoens side. What’s marmotte and pacoty like. Are they holding up?
snow report
We've been all over. Samoens side was good especially marmotte, varosse etc. Had no problems other than crowds. Even grand pret to bottom of Vercland was fine. Bit scraped in patches but empty of crowds.

Les Carroz is doing really well (except marmottes!). Spent our last day there. Gorgeous especially combe, chamois, portet....in fact, mist of them. Glad we dibbed out of a 3rd run to Flaine.

Just to say that the woodland luge rude at Les Carroz is fab for adults and kids. At bottom of Keduze lift. Runs 3-7pm and costs 7 euros.

Marvel looked closed today - was very thin snow at start yesterday but if you can get beyond that it's fine.

Pistes are doing really, really well. But riding on chairs there's so much brown and green land!
snow report
Great stuff. Bags are packed ready for off. Looking forward to it.
snow report
@kettonskimum, note you can get onto Marvel a bit lower using another Green piste.
snow report
Hi. New to the forum! Myself and my family are coming to Flaine a week today. How are the pistes holding up? It looks like there is a dusting of snow today?

Thanks

Chris
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy