Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2022-2023 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Les Carroz, Morillon and Samoens all closed today due to heavy rain

Sad How miserable.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
indeed...very dissapointing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was hammering it down at 2:45am when we left the hotel. Given hotel was at approx 1800m I really felt for the whole area.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hasn’t stopped raining heavily since about 8pm last night. Not forecast to stop till 9 tomorrow morning. I wonder what will be left up there as the base was thin to start with.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
und also all the way to ca 2.000m.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Doing the drive back from TGM. Left about 4pm yesterday and it was a filthy drive down to Macon for overnight. It's finally stopped raining on us about 40 miles from Calais.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just looking at photographs from this afternoon on Grand Massif Facebook page, the river Giffre is running like rapids and a lot of the low level pasture in the villages is flooded as all the rain washes down of the mountains. Looks really grim, I feel for those whose only skiing is this week it must be rather miserable.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is there a bus/taxi service that gets you from Les Carroz to Flaine?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shadyhands wrote:
Is there a bus/taxi service that gets you from Les Carroz to Flaine?

Yes there’s a bus which runs from Samoens to Morillon to Carroz and then Flaine.

https://www.grand-massif.com/en/skibus/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Têtes des Saix closed looks in part like it’s due to a small landslide at 1600 and the road up is closed. All pistes in that sector closed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for your reply Eh oh! Eh oh!
I checked the link and it says the ski bus only links morillon, samoen and sixt. No bud from Carroz to Flaine or have I read this wrongly?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh I’m not sure, I know last time I was there couple years back just before the pandemic I took a bus with my daughter from morillon to Flaine so assumed that was still on the timetable.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@shadyhands, here's the link, put your ski boots in your back pack, then ski with your trainers in your back pack

https://www.lescarroz.com/commerce-et-service/les-carroz-flaine-express-les-carroz-daraches/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jirac18 wrote:
Têtes des Saix closed looks in part like it’s due to a small landslide at 1600 and the road up is closed. All pistes in that sector closed

is that the road to Samöens? Apparently people are blocked in resort due to landslides.

Heaviest rain for 30 years, apparently.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’m in samoens, it certainly did rain. Non stop heavy rain for approx 36 hours. At least it stopped for the fireworks tonight. Snow looks totally trashed at 1600 though. Closed for last 2 days.
ski holidays
It was the last day of our week in Flaine yesterday and it was hideous. It's the worst rain I've ever experienced when skiing. It was raining from the bottom to pretty much the top at times and when it wasn't raining, it was hailing. Pistes that were quite bare and rocky in places already were literally being washed away during the morning and we gave up at lunchtime. As others have said, the links between the villages were shut. I really feel sorry for anyone there this week as there's no significant snowfall forecast and it'll need to get back to freezing temperatures for weeks before the melt stops and any new snow can stick.

However, despite yesterday's damp squib, it turned out to be a mini-Bash and thanks to the @NickyJ, @Sparklies and @Richard_Sideways gangs for your company. The older kids especially enjoyed being let loose across the area Very Happy
snow report
Slopes in GM being prepared for Christmas Day opening

https://bulletin.lumiplan.pro/php/getPDF.php?url=https://bulletin.lumiplan.pro/displayAllPrint.php?&pays=france&region=alpes&station=grand-massif&lang=fr&displayDomaine=0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8&pdf=true&font=0&isAvalanch=true

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 25-12-22 9:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@faust thanks - how do you subscribe to those bulletins - it’s much easier to digest than their website!
snow report
It’s a live feed that pulls from wherever the info is buried on their website. Looks like all four main villages are opening slopes today, great news
snow conditions
Their website and app are rubbish or maybe it’s me. I can see the main lift out of samoens from my chalet and looks like it’s running so I pay pop up for a look if I get a window between presents and lunch.

Happy Christmas to all
latest report
jd_evans wrote:
It was the last day of our week in Flaine yesterday and it was hideous. It's the worst rain I've ever experienced when skiing. It was raining from the bottom to pretty much the top at times and when it wasn't raining, it was hailing. Pistes that were quite bare and rocky in places already were literally being washed away during the morning and we gave up at lunchtime. As others have said, the links between the villages were shut. I really feel sorry for anyone there this week as there's no significant snowfall forecast and it'll need to get back to freezing temperatures for weeks before the melt stops and any new snow can stick.

However, despite yesterday's damp squib, it turned out to be a mini-Bash and thanks to the @NickyJ, @Sparklies and @Richard_Sideways gangs for your company. The older kids especially enjoyed being let loose across the area Very Happy

We had a cracking time, was great to see everyone! The older ones did indeed have a fantastic time.

Really does sound like we got out of there just in time, whipping our helmets under the door and avoiding the large boulders thundering down the road behind us. Nothing worse than hailing on a chairlift, I imagine - not experienced that myself yet, and don't want to!
snow conditions
Quote:

@faust thanks - how do you subscribe to those bulletins - it’s much easier to digest than their website!

They're being pulled from this page I think. You have to ignore a few dead links that are meant to point you to opening reports and find the right one wink

https://www.grand-massif.com/meteo-ouverture/

Quote:

It’s a live feed that pulls from wherever the info is buried on their website. Looks like all four main villages are opening slopes today, great news

How can they open when there's no snow up there? Was originally thinking about heading up to Flaine on Tuesday, but not sure that's a great idea after all of these reports lol. I should probably just be patient and wait a few more weeks. Sigh.

Quote:

Their website and app are rubbish or maybe it’s me. I can see the main lift out of samoens from my chalet and looks like it’s running so I pay pop up for a look if I get a window between presents and lunch.

Let us know what you find! The website is terrible, as are many sites in the area... it's one of my many business ideas to just start a company that cleans up French websites on the lowest level imaginable, i.e. actually make the links work and take out the default templates that get left in place so often.

Joyeux Noel to all!
ski holidays
I didn’t go as family rightly pointed out a walk around the lake in spring type sunshine preferable to skiing in rubbish snow. Anyone been up today ?
snow report
We skied for around 4 hours today and really enjoyed it. after all that rain we were amazed at what they had managed to get open. Conditions were not great but it was lovely to ski in the sun and on Christmas Day. We’re based in LC and links to Samoen and Morillon open. Best slopes/snow were down to Molliets chair and Combe. Also pistes very quiet and no queues. Definitely had worse days.
snow report
@Motherof3,
Quote:

We skied for around 4 hours today and really enjoyed it. after all that rain we were amazed at what they had managed to get open. Conditions were not great but it was lovely to ski in the sun and on Christmas Day. We’re based in LC and links to Samoen and Morillon open. Best slopes/snow were down to Molliets chair and Combe. Also pistes very quiet and no queues. Definitely had worse days.

Thanks for the update! Glad you had a good time. Did you make it up to Flaine? Thinking of heading up there on Tuesday... if I can shake this stupid cold I managed to have picked up.
ski holidays
No, links to Flaine closed
snow report
I have skied Flaine for the last couple of days, and it was surprisingly good. No queues, great snow almost everywhere (where it’s open). But the snow is scarce: first time in my life l saw the workers manually harvesting the snow using just shovels and some halfpipes to move it from a ledge where a tractor won’t go.

I even felt guilty that those dozens of people were breaking their backs to entertain my skiing…
latest report
Question
We will arrive at 31.12
The Keys are avilable from 13.00 pm
Assuming that we will be there earlier and we have the Opportunity to skiing a little, where should i park?
Our appartment is near P3
I thought i can Park there, use the ski bus till foret, May a couple of runs and later head to immo Office for the Keys...
Is this logic?

It my first time in France and i am a little bit comfused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
P3 is at Foret. You can park there, go skiing and get to Forum (lower level) to get the keys. No bus is involved
latest report
Are people actually skiing to the bottom of Flaine right now or are they taking the telecabine back down? Still thinking about heading up tomorrow, even to do some laps on the upper part of Faust and Desert Blanc, but I can't imagine skiing all the way back to the Fond de niege lol. Lower Faust was bad LAST Tuesday....
latest report
It’s open all the way down, albeit snow is deteriorating, let’s see what tomorrow brings.
snow conditions
Skied samoens this morning. Only pistes open are Dahu (with the last steep pitch closed - you have to ski around) and red marmottes.

I skied both - Dahu much better snow. Soft , but quite nice all the way down.

Marmotte the steep pitch totally scoured and some ice.

Pitch off tete des saix not for the faint hearted. Icey, hard pack and some soft bumps. Loads of people, stopped , sliding , falling or going too fast.

Still once off that and onto Dahu, was nice. Sun shining and spring snow.

Pistes in the middle are in a mess - down to mud and grass in quite a lot of places and you can see where the rain has washed away parts of the piste. Piste down to Chariande express is a ribbon of white in an expanse of green and brown.

Quite busy , but glad I went. I think there is some snow forecast on 29? It certainly needs it.
snow report
What are the home runs back in to Flaine like? There looks to be more than enough at the top of Grand Platieres but webcams and social media shots conveniently avoid views of the mains runs back to resort level.

Heading out on 6 January for a long weekend so hoping temps will drop enough for snowmaking and to make the pistes bearable low down (don’t mind doing higher laps most of the day and just drop back to resort a couple of times a day). At least the closed resort links have made my mind up on which lift pass to buy.
ski holidays
@bigtuboflard,
Quote:

What are the home runs back in to Flaine like? There looks to be more than enough at the top of Grand Platieres but webcams and social media shots conveniently avoid views of the mains runs back to resort level.

Heading out on 6 January for a long weekend so hoping temps will drop enough for snowmaking and to make the pistes bearable low down (don’t mind doing higher laps most of the day and just drop back to resort a couple of times a day). At least the closed resort links have made my mind up on which lift pass to buy.

Right? The IG posts from today make it look like we just got dumped on Laughing
snow report
That’s kind of my point @coldrainsnow! It’s the 7cm reported base which concerns me.
snow report
@bigtuboflard,
Quote:

That’s kind of my point @coldrainsnow! It’s the 7cm reported base which concerns me.

Yup, me too. I saw some pics on FB that I can't seem to find now that had bright green grass all the way up above the two tapis to the main Caisse where you can buy your passes. Supposedly people are skiing all the way down, but I can't imagine it to be honest... we're going to try to head up tomorrow I think, will give a detailed report. I'm thinking worst case we can do laps up top and maybe even take the Telebenne down if we need to.

I honestly can't figure out if a) conditions are actually better than I think they are, or b) some people have a much higher tolerance for skiing on rocks and mud than I do. Wink I'm here all season, so I can also don't have the urgency of a short holiday trip though.

Fingers crossed it will at least be cold when you are out here in January!
snow conditions
coldrainsnow wrote:
some people have a much higher tolerance for skiing on rocks and mud than I do.

I shall be bringing an old set of skis as well... Don't want my lovely new and unused Blades to get knacked first time out!
ski holidays
Thanks @coldrainsnow, look forward to the report. I’ve seen the webcam for Morillon which is horrific (admittedly also at 1100m) which isn’t my idea of fun. Hopefully it’ll cool down a bit, there’ll be enough man made on the home runs and therefore enough to keep us busy for three days. I very much doubt the links will open though before we get there.
ski holidays
We tried Flaine today for a change from LC. In short snow in much better condition throughout. Top v good, and it is possible to ski to bottom of DMC without ruining skis, we didn’t go below that but could see it was icier (with patches of green outside forum).
Also saw snow canons on portet being used, tho that is officially closed.
Started at Grand Vans with tourmaline in good condition throughout. Then headed up DMC (about 10 min queue but lift running slow due to wind). Stayed high and did chairs at top. Plenty of snow, only slightly bare due to wind (but v few rocks showing through). Skied back to DMC later and went up again, similar queue time. Was fairly busy on pistes and cold wind blowing but a good day and def better than expected.
latest report
Thanks for the update, sounds like a great day given the conditions. I’m just at Heathrow now heading for a stay in Samoens. I assume Vernant wasn’t open today at all? Desperately trying to work out how we can get over to Flaine. Perhaps the only option is to hike from Tetes De Saix to GV… unsure how achievable that is but I guess I’ll find out tomorrow!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy