Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2022-2023 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
I do.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It was possible to ski down using Combe today! Opened about 11ish. Snowed heavily all day, visibility not too bad. Great fun
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very very snowy day. Links were closed today, so just skied les carroz and morillon. the red Zorta was open going down to gron, ungroomed, so a very brave VI skier and me headed down it, and was rather nice, and rather well skied by said VI skier. So off to morillon where we stayed for the rest of the morning. Bit busy at times, and very unimpressed by some of the morillon lift staff, very big contrast to les carroz and flaine. Powder was fun on the runs that the crowds miss. By 13.00 getting a bit cold, so back to les carroz. They had opened combe down to the base, but decided even if we were on rock hoppers it was likely to be rather stoney etc, so back up gron and down the gondola. Could even ski down figaro at the bottom, just don't do the last bit as its a rocky road!

With all this snow, hopefully the season is now set up (as long as its does not pour with rain again)

Apparently the offpiste around portet and l'airon is not allowed tomorrow due to avi risk
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, we are flying out to samoens Saturday, is the entire lot open now does anyone know? With 2 little ones in tow I'm hoping Marvel and marvellne is open! TIA
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nickielmoore wrote:
Hi, we are flying out to samoens Saturday, is the entire lot open now does anyone know? With 2 little ones in tow I'm hoping Marvel and marvellne is open! TIA

I’m watching this as well as the webcams! https://www.grand-massif.com/meteo-ouverture/
It sows what they plan to open and u can filter to just show Morison slopes - so only very top of marvel open - but surely now they have snow they prioritise bas
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Conditions here are pretty good now, if a little stormy. At the Club Med Resort in Samoens there has been about 30cm of fresh snow over the last two days. Today managed to get up Tete de Saix once before wind closed it. There was lots of deep powder to play in. This afternoon managed two descents of the red under Vercland with an ESF guide and avi gear (the piste is officially still closed due to lack of snow at the bottom, but in reality it is perfectly skiable and the snow at the top is fab.) It is set to get colder and drier as the week progresses.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nickielmoore wrote:

I've sent you a PM Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Will be there from Saturday for two weeks. Shall report on weather/piste conditions if internet allows. If anyone would like to share a transfer from Geneva Airport or join for some skiing then drop me a PM. We'll be staying in Morillom/Samoans area but skiing everywhere.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's been dumping all day! Kept it local and skinned up at Mont-Sax to catch the powder on the way down before they open the lifts for the kids tomorrow. Smile Great day!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the Flaine bowl the vis has been quite bad all day but lower down the pistes had some wonderful powder on them early morning. Vis got worse later in the morning and the wind was horrible. Grands Vans closed all day so no links open. Aup de Veran also closed for most of the day. Cleared a bit in the afternoon but pistes very chopped up because it had snowed all day. Has stopped snowing now and it is rumoured that the Aujon area may be open tomorrow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking forward to the Samoens updates flying out on the 28th. Things seem to have improved massively over the last fortnight. Hopefully we get more snow before we arrive. Millom let me know how things are looking next week please Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fintown21 wrote:
Looking forward to the Samoens updates flying out on the 28th. Things seem to have improved massively over the last fortnight. Hopefully we get more snow before we arrive. Millom let me know how things are looking next week please Madeye-Smiley

We've booked late based on the new snow. The low temps should keep it ok for a while and allow all snow cannons to run. New to the area so will be exploring for the first few days and then probably spending the second week dissecting the more interesting bits i.e. Gers Bowl (assuming my replacement knee holds up).

Anyone tried the Cascades piste since the new snow? I assume closed but skiable?

We also need to fill a single night between our two accommodations 28-29th Jan so if anyone knows of any good cheap last minute b&b type options around Sixt, Samoens, Morillon then please give me a shout (twin room). Cheers
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Still dumping hahahahahaha! It's gonna be good up there....

@Millom, no idea about Cascades but it goes quite low. Although the snowline has actually been low this week, there was zero base, so not sure when they will be able to open the run all the way down to Sixt. Good timing on the trip!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am also arriving on Saturday. Usually relieved to see all the snow, although quite a lot is still closed. My priority is the Gers bowl - any idea when they are likely to open this?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Millom wrote:

Anyone tried the Cascades piste since the new snow? I assume closed but skiable?

I assume that if Cascades is closed the bus back from Sixt won't be running so that would be difficult. It's a while since I've been there - others may have more up-to-date info.
ski holidays
Quote:

I am also arriving on Saturday. Usually relieved to see all the snow, although quite a lot is still closed. My priority is the Gers bowl - any idea when they are likely to open this?

Strong AV risk right now (4/5), so I assume that will be the limiting factor.... STILL getting dumped on all afternoon lol, there's so much snow.
latest report
@caughtanedge, does anyone staying in Sixt not have a regular ski bus then?
latest report
Millom wrote:
@caughtanedge, does anyone staying in Sixt not have a regular ski bus then?

The Sixt area IS served by a ski bus. About 10 mins to the Samoens bubble. It runs both ways, so not reliant on Cascades to get you home. Can't recall the frequency.
ski holidays
By the way anyone know if there is any map that shows the lift opening/closing times? And specifically the Telecabin Morillon last up lift? Also is there a map or info that shows which pistes have snow cannons? I assume the lifts themselves have the times but on map is useful for planning and the telecabin is required for a shopping trip Smile. Looks like the snow should be good enough all the way into Sixt so hopefully over the next week they'll gradually open more and more stuff up. We're there for two weeks so not so bothered if it takes a little time.
latest report
By the way for those not yet in resort: https://www.haut-giffre.co.uk/im-here/webcams/
snow report
@Millom, Yes, but I seem to remember that the bottom of the Cascades piste is a little way up the valley from Sixt and its ski area, so they wouldn't run the bus up there if there's no-one 'officially' coming down the piste. To get back to the GM system you have to get a bus back to Samoens or Morillon to get back up. There must be someone on this thread who's more up-to-date than me! Also, the Tourist Offices in Sixt/Samoens/Morillon would probably know.
latest report
@caughtanedge, If Cascades is open you'll ski within 200m of the bus stop. It ends low down, which explains why it's often closed.
snow report
@Charliegolf, yes, but the original question was about Cascades being 'closed but skiable'...
snow conditions
@caughtanedge, Fair play, was just replying to the bus query really. Very Happy
snow report
I also seem to remember the bottom of the piste can get quite ropey, even when it's open. But definitely worth doing if the snow is ok.
snow conditions
@caughtanedge, looking at the ski bus map and the lifts on googlemaps it seems you're probably half right. There is a seperate bus for Cascades run that they probably won't put on but there are buses to Sixt and there is a Green piste and lift that even crosses from the Cascades to the village bit (and other lifts) so it looks like it'll probably be a fairly easy do-it-yourself. I'm in that valley so no need to return up on lifts.

@Charliegolf, if you look at the webcam on the link I added above you'll see the Sixt beginner area that I mention above and there is definitely enough snow at the moment Madeye-Smiley .
ski holidays
@caughtanedge, Yes it can. @Millom, Are either of you skiing with nervous/newbie types. As CAE says, the bottom end can be quite narrow and tracked out by day's end. If so, send em home on the bus first day while you recce it would be my advice.
ski holidays
https://pysae.com/info/#/sat-train-bleu/map/stop/6

For live updates on buses
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Out in Flaine at the moment, snow absolutely epic. Enjoy!
snow report
Out in Flaine at the moment, snow absolutely epic. Over a foot of fresh powder on the slopes today. Enjoy!
ski holidays
@Wildsmith, nice
snow report
Ta! The first to spy a bus running to the Cascades stop gets a prize!
latest report
@Charliegolf, I'm sharing with someone from Snowheads to get the best price for the trip. No responsibility for anyone else whilst skiing Smile. Will give an update as and when I make it down this piste. If anyone would like to join for a ski sometime just give me a shout. Will be checking out a half replacement knee initially and then enjoying myself if it holds up ok.
ski holidays
Millom wrote:
By the way anyone know if there is any map that shows the lift opening/closing times? And specifically the Telecabin Morillon last up lift? Also is there a map or info that shows which pistes have snow cannons? I assume the lifts themselves have the times but on map is useful for planning and the telecabin is required for a shopping trip Smile. Looks like the snow should be good enough all the way into Sixt so hopefully over the next week they'll gradually open more and more stuff up. We're there for two weeks so not so bothered if it takes a little time.

https://en.flaine.com/media/rm-horaires-2022.2023.pdf
latest report
@tccambs, thanks Smile
latest report
Looks like most runs are open now after all the snow. Hope it holds up and there’ll be another few systems passing through before the end of February when we head to Samoens. Haven’t been to Grand Massif since March 2020 when we had a great week just before Covid shut everything down.
snow report
would be good if the newish fast lift between Samoens and Morillon was running but still not today

still a reasonable number of pistes officially closed looking at the live map today

forecast for Sunday is cloudy and a little windy - shall plan to stay in the Morillon, Samoens, and Carroz sectors if anyone would like to join - will be aiming for opening time of the fast lift out of Morillon 1100
ski holidays
looks like the fast lift is running tomorrow served by the two blues

the second lift opposite the bottom of cascades is also running as is the green heading down towards the bottom of cascades so a return via the Sixt rather than Cascades bus wouldn't be too bad at all
snow report
Today was very busy, I guess all the locals/Genevoise saw this as the first opportunity this year to get some skiing in the GM. Spent the morning touring Carroz/Morrillon/Samoens. Coulouvrier was open, I think for the first time in a few weeks, but a lot of the pistes were very crunchy, particularly the run down to Carroz from the bottom of the Gron chair. The piste conditions in the Flaine bowl were far better, which is why I guess that it was so busy.

I'm staying in Terrasses d'Eos in the Montsoleil part of Flaine and everyone staying in that block and in Terrasses d'Helios is very p*****d off because the Foret drag lift is closed 'to save on the cost of electricity'. I had read that it was only going to open at weekends and in the school holidays but it was closed all day today. The ski bus is full and in the afternoons is not even stopping at the bottom of Grands Vans because it is full when it gets there. People are having to walk back to their 'ski in ski out' accommodation.
latest report
Chris Mason wrote:

I'm staying in Terrasses d'Eos in the Montsoleil part of Flaine and everyone staying in that block and in Terrasses d'Helios is very p*****d off because the Foret drag lift is closed 'to save on the cost of electricity'. .

Yeah, that would annoy me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy