Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2022-2023 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Zorrac wrote:
looks slightly better for 8th /9th onwards, but of course may change.....................

Hi, thanks for this.. although I will confess I'm not entirely (ok remotely)sure what I'm looking at, but I guess all the squiggly lines are a positive! My family and I are out from 21st so the worry is creeping up..
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Carnage today in Flaine… too many people for the few things that are open
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quick question, asking for a friend. They are due out to Samoens next Sunday and already have lift passes paid for - are these refundable if area is closed on day they start?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alexsas wrote:
Carnage today in Flaine… too many people for the few things that are open

And i think it is raining right now...at least the Street is wet...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@nickielmoore, the top line is temperature (so you want it at or below the red average) and the bottom line is precipitation. So you want that to be very low when temperatures are high, and vice versa. But if there is huge disagreement between the different runs (all the wiggly lines) it's highly unreliable. And nothing it tells you about several weeks ahead is worth bothering with. Might as well toss a few chicken bones.

I'm no expert, but AFAIK that's about it. In a nutshell.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just waiting for our transfer company to confirm they can switch the trip to La Plagne and if so we’re cancelling Flaine. All very depressing really as wasn’t expecting waist deep powder, just coverage on the runs would have been fine.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We’re due to arrive at the Helios in Flaine this Saturday on the 7th. Fingers crossed for the snowfall anticipated this Sunday Sad

Really unfortunate as for 3/5 members, it’s their first time skiing. How is floret/forum looking? Any suggestions if things are looking really bleak? Booked accommodation/lessons with Sunweb so not sure how everything will pan out really as they do have a ‘snow sure’ policy Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tanvir786 wrote:
We’re due to arrive at the Helios in Flaine this Saturday on the 7th. Fingers crossed for the snowfall anticipated this Sunday Sad

Really unfortunate as for 3/5 members, it’s their first time skiing. How is floret/forum looking? Any suggestions if things are looking really bleak? Booked accommodation/lessons with Sunweb so not sure how everything will pan out really as they do have a ‘snow sure’ policy Puzzled

Believe me...if i post some pics you will be really dissapointed
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DM me some if you can @turms2, I’d rather know for sure that cancelling Flaine is the right thing to do.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I will make tomorrow some pics with forum and foret and Post them here..
Not a problem at All
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you @turms2!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

That was a test..but it is also from today
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That actually looks better than I was expecting…
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
turms2 wrote:
Not a problem at All

Would really appreciate that! Thanks!

Might email Sunweb and re-arrange my transfers with. Won't be able to refund my BA flights as too close to the time if things really are that bad.

Just stumbled across this news outlet with a picture of what looks to be the ski out path from Helios...

https://www.wintersport.nl/nieuws/01/01/2023/bijna-gehele-grand-massif-gesloten
snow conditions
tanvir_a wrote:
turms2 wrote:
Not a problem at All

Would really appreciate that! Thanks!

Might email Sunweb and re-arrange my transfers with. Won't be able to refund my BA flights as too close to the time if things really are that bad.

Just stumbled across this news outlet with a picture of what looks to be the ski out path from Helios...

(In the comments)
snow report
@tanvir_a, that picture is Morillon, not Flaine, looks like Morillon 1100 to me - others here will know better than me.
snow conditions
caughtanedge wrote:
@tanvir_a, that picture is Morillon, not Flaine, looks like Morillon 1100 to me - others here will know better than me.

Looking at this one right? I do hope you’re correct!

https://cdn.wintersport.nl/media/forum/2023/01/02/09E6F4C7-0092-49F2-B62E-E28E24176255.jpeg
snow conditions
caughtanedge wrote:

That one is "Tourmaline" heading toward Flaine from top of Grand Van 6px chairlift. It's the first piste out from Flaine bowl going to the other areas ( but you are looking in return to flaine direction) so last skied when you are returning to Flaine bowl.

The other one linked to by tan is looks like one of the return to Les Carroz and only just above the village possibly?
ski holidays
turms2 wrote:

That was a test..but it is also from today

Got images mixed up and thought this post was reference, which is Tourmaline.

The one concerned as noted is Morillon 1100 just above ski station.
snow report
https://cdn.wintersport.nl/media/forum/2023/01/02/09E6F4C7-0092-49F2-B62E-E28E24176255.jpeg

That’s at c1700m on the run in into Flaine from the text

The first pic on the site below is at 11pm at les deserts above Morillon from the webcam:
snow conditions
Wildsmith wrote:

That’s at c1700m on the run in into Flaine from the text

The first pic on the site below is at 11pm at les deserts above Morillon from the webcam:

Yeah for the 1700m, was just curious if thats the ski in ski out from Helios Puzzled
snow conditions
davejsy wrote:
Quick question, asking for a friend. They are due out to Samoens next Sunday and already have lift passes paid for - are these refundable if area is closed on day they start?

This is one I have been looking into, as we go out on 13th. I never normally buy passes in advance, but annoyingly we took advantage of the 15% discount if booked by Nov 30th so have 4 x 7 day passes for the week.

As far as I can see by pouring through the t&c's using google translate, they will only refund if 75% of the lifts in the area the pass purchased covers are not running, so you would only know on the day that actually happened. 0

I was hoping to cancel the passes now for a refund and then either re-buy in the case that the area was OK, or just bin it off for Val D'Isere. Accommodation is in a friends place so not an issue, but if we decide to change it looks like we would be writing off £300 a head plus two group lessons fr the four of us we booked, so we are invested in praying to the snow gods really!
snow report
Also, having a think about it - there is some confidence now that snow may materialize from early next week, how much do you reckon they'd need to fall to get Marvel up and running, giving the Morillon 1100 webcam looks like they are starting again form nothing?
latest report
Quote:

Also, having a think about it - there is some confidence now that snow may materialize from early next week, how much do you reckon they'd need to fall to get Marvel up and running, giving the Morillon 1100 webcam looks like they are starting again form nothing?

Yes saw a photo of Marvel, and no snow in sight. In regards to how much snow is needed, I'd guess something like Marvel which is grass won't take much, but how much exactly I don't know. I wonder what the ground temps are like also as that could be an issue I guess.

Thank you re info regarding lift passes. I wonder what the percentage of lifts are open at present? And, does that include lifts that people can only use for biking/walking?!
latest report
Currently you'd get your money back, it is a % of the ones that your pass covers e.g. if you have the whole area pass (which we do) there is more than 75% closed now, but if you had a Flaine pass there may be enough open not to refund.
snow report
Quote:

Hi, thanks for this.. although I will confess I'm not entirely (ok remotely)sure what I'm looking at, but I guess all the squiggly lines are a positive! My family and I are out from 21st so the worry is creeping up..

This is a good article on ensemble forecasts (and what all the squiggly lines mean)

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/285186
ski holidays
@tanvir_a, we were at the Eos which is the neighbouring building just before Christmas and the 2nd picture link does look like it could well be part of the ski in / out but then it could also be somewhere else entirely that happens to be a green through trees!

However, looking at todays webcams from the Flaine resort, it could well actually be snowing!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Eek - not a great start to the season. Heading up to Flaine on 28th Jan...fingers crossed for some more snow before then!
snow conditions
So...i didnt make any pics because my snowboard boot Boa does not open and i spend the whole day trying to fix it. Without sucess...seems that the Boa channel ist stucked...now i have to send them back to salomon. They were New...no more than 10 hous of use...hope to get money back. I dont want the same again...

As regards as weather ans snow...yes there was some snow for 20 min and then light rain the whole day...rainy and foggy...
Probably above 2000m was snowing but as i mention didnt manage today to Check it.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 3-01-23 16:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report

snow conditions
Above flaine forum....outside the serpa super Market
And below forret ski school area
ski holidays
@turms2, that picture outside the Sherpa is pretty dire. Is that at around 1600m?
ski holidays
It’s not that bad honestly, particularly for the folk coming after hordes of holiday tourists leave this week.

It is tolerable even now, but with fewer people and lower temperatures even without new snow it’d be fine
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@turms2, that picture outside the Sherpa is pretty dire. Is that at around 1600m?

Yeap...
latest report
alexsas wrote:
It’s not that bad honestly, particularly for the folk coming after hordes of holiday tourists leave this week.

It is tolerable even now, but with fewer people and lower temperatures even without new snow it’d be fine

To be honest
It is not sooooo Bad. Although i dont know after the rain today.
The slopes are above 2.100 ok, then from 2.100 to 1.850 not so gut, ice Grass Stones etc and the till 1.600 slushig april snow.

The Problem is that there are too little open for many people and many of them skiing down on icy slopes without Control

The same snow i had in livigno mid April...it is ok...but at this time i was sometimes alone on the slopes.

Not you have to take care where there is ice , stones and how the other skiing
snow conditions
Well I’ve bailed on Flaine, new place booked in Belle Plagne with pretty much direct access to skiing at 2700m+.

It’s a real shame as I really wanted to see Flaine (not been before) and my brother has just bought a place there so was looking forward to seeing that, and him too. It will have to wait for either later this season if things pick up or next year.
latest report
We're still optimistically sticking to our plan to head to Samoens next Friday 13th (eek!!) A last minute swerve to Val D'Isere has been factored into the equation!
latest report
First day in Flaine. Snow at top on skier’s right isn’t too bad, but off piste almost nonexistent. Left side of resort closed.
Snow expected at weekend.
ski holidays
Forecast for Araches (village on the way up to Les Carroz)

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy