Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seeking an alternative to Verbier (WFH)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good question but also a great outline of what you need. Don’t have a suggestion but very well defined. Good luck to you Sir.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@whitematterbull, Shirley you could take a 2 week vacation and not bother with this work nonsense? The point of skiing Europe is the sheer vastness of the resort's where I hear (for skiers) it's all about clocking up Kms!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some knee-jerk Snowhead responses have obscured this discussion. The OP clarified that "chalet style accommodation" could include an apartment in a building and doesn't include any catering, and doesn't have to be an independent detached building. Then the ritual warnings about cramped French accommodation get trotted out. French apartments are whatever size they are and this will always be specified. Some are small..... some aren't. There are apartments of every size, for a wide range of budgets. The OP has been paying a lot for a nice place in Verbier and I imagine that would also buy a nice place in Val d'Isere - which of the options mentioned here strikes me as most suitable. It has a range of sophisticated facilities which just don't exist in some of the smaller places such as Champery - though personally I'd prefer Champery!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gainz wrote:
@whitematterbull, Shirley you could take a 2 week vacation and not bother with this work nonsense?

But why settle for 2 weeks when you can do 4 or 5? Or even 2 months!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Reading the op again suggests it's for the first 2 weeks in march but maybe I've misunderstood but no worries, carry on!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gainz wrote:
Reading the op again suggests it's for the first 2 weeks in march but maybe I've misunderstood

No, you just need new glasses Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To All,

Thank you so much for your responses. Let me clarify "chalet".

By this I mean non-hotel accommodation. It would ideally be a 2br unit in an alpine style bldg. So the buildings in Arc 1800 are well suited for this.
I see a lot of discussion about Arc 1800. Everything seems great except for one possible thing. I have taken some time with the piste map and agree Arc 1800 has the best access to the most variety of terrain.

I've found a few accommodations that are more than suitable there. My only concern is that I don't see much of a town - which we quite like to enjoy. No Coop to grab sausage at, no local bakery, etc. Can anyone acquainted with it comment?

In terms of business: my wife is an accountant and I own my business so we're incredibly lucky in the flexibility our professions provide us.

I have stayed in Val d'Isere as some have mentioned - and I must say something about it didn't sit right with me. I know it's a funny statement with how posh Verbier is, but something about Val feels very "surface level"? Not sure how to describe it..

Can anyone comment on staying in villages at 1100 such as Laax/Films/ etc. If the winter is like last winter, of course all of these are going to be wet/muddy with no snow. But in a "regular" Winter I should expect January to be snowy and able to run all the way down to the villages and in March it's going to be a gamble even in a regular winter, correct?

EDIT: I'm also really liking everything I see regarding Alpe d' Huez. Internet seems to be fantastic there due to 5G towers. Only bad thing: no trees skiing. I suppose I can suck it up and on whiteout days just stay home. Comments on Alpe d' Huez?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From Verbier through Les Arcs, Laax to Alpe d’Huez, and not liking Val d’Isere….

Eh? rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've never been to Laax or Alpe d'Huez - asking questions about them.

Val - diesregard my comment. It was 10 years that I was there so I can't even remember at this point what I didn't like about the village. Maybe nothing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Arcs 1800 is just above the town of Bourg St Maurice. Take the funicular down to the town to shop. I'm sure there will be a small supermarket in the resort, though).

For Les Arcs skiing it depends what sort of thing you want. The more challenging skiing (and most of the off-piste) is over the top in the Arc 2000 valley, especially off the Aiguille Rouge.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@whitematterbull, you might want to read this re Les Arcs and wifi (or lack of!) https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=160908&start=40
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@whitematterbull, Laax, or at least the bit where we stayed close to the ski lifts (Peak Retreats apartment) didn't have much of a town at all. Flims I don't know, but the bit near the bottom of the slopes was hardly a metropolis. In that general area Lenzerheide or Arosa would be a better bet.

Given your wish to do a quick transition between skiing and working around 2 pm I can see Val d'Isere doesn't quite click, there's a lot of great skiing but very little which gets you back to town level. In general the places which are better towns tend to be too low for reliable home runs.

Would Courcheval work? Lots of skiing to head home from in the same valley, and lots more in other valleys to explore on weekends. I haven't stayed there though so never thought about the availability of sausage shops etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've found a few accommodations that are more than suitable there. My only concern is that I don't see much of a town - which we quite like to enjoy. No Coop to grab sausage at, no local bakery, etc. Can anyone acquainted with it comment?@whitematterbull,

Yes, easily accommodated as there's quite good provision for a dedicated mountain ski location (as comparison to lower established villages) with essentially two areas "Charvet" and "Charmetoger" village centres seperate by about 400mtrs (the snow front and core activities effectively join these two) that both have a supermarket (compact but stacked with provision) also boulangerie too.
There's many cafè, restuarant and bar dotted around these two as well, additional to that some places offering traditional prepared dishes for home heating etc plus good fresh made pizza on demand.
I wouldn't say much of a price lift over valley based supply either, perfectly ok with no need to travel for supplies if not desirable for schedule.
Not a massive party place on the whole but pretty lively friendly atmosphere evening time, plenty of places for food all throughout the day to blend around your needs.

Worthwhile is going out with patrollers (was on Wednesday morning usually) as they open pistes and you get to run the first one's just the group of participants, small cost but breakfast included up the mountain and returning to village just as everyone is starting is fun. Last there I went with my son to be greeted by the most epically clear/stunning atmosphere, with views in virtual silence across Europe and since frozen (pun intended) in our memories as a particular highlight. It was soooooo beautiful up on the ridge above the Arcs villages we could have just sat there all day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@whitematterbull,
Doesn't mention the internet strength, though.
Long term rental for seasonal residents, Tignes le Lac very nice apartment 230 m2, fireplace, sauna (can be condemned) capacity approx 20 people in double rooms, single beds, fully equipped.
Sauna can be used for storage and storage
Beginning of rental End Nov 22 to May 23, also possibility in 12 months.
Reserved to 1 professional for staff accommodation 20 persons or 2 pro for 2 X10, no individual rental, from 98 k € for winter season.
Also 2 closed box garage can be rented separately.
Contact the Alps Concierge in Tignes.
What app only 0635490845
Visits from 11th Oct 22.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy