Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports and Updates - 2022-23

Poster: A snowHead
I just had a look at the Lecht cams and I would say that once they do some shoving and pisting almost everything looks complete and it will be amazing as its super cold still for a couple more weeks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Needed to set off for home by about 09.30 this morning, so went for a first light ski tour up the Cas at Cairngorm for 90 mins or so. It was great - the sky and light were fantastic. And on my birthday too Very Happy

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict, looks brilliant. Green with envy! Chained to desk today. Grr.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mountainaddict, nice did you ski over the back at all or mostly frontside?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many happy returns @mountainaddict, I think today will be a tough one to follow however!
I also imagine it was a little bit cold up there first thing?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
from https://www.facebook.com/groups/Britishbackcountry/permalink/6481395665213354/

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any sign of Cairngorm opening early? Looks like they have the most snow of all, seems crazy to wait until the 21st.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like they are preparing the Car Park Tbar tow track but no tbars on the line yet.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skiscot14 wrote:
Any sign of Cairngorm opening early? Looks like they have the most snow of all, seems crazy to wait until the 21st.

They don't seem to live opening earlier than planned/staying open longer than planned or opening late season if snow falls after they've shut!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glenshee have got Sunnyside running snowHead

Looks like the snow will start to drift later this week as the wind picks up a bit.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 12-12-22 16:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
15.05 white lady webcam shows a 'train' on the Funicular -- the testing continues..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They'll be checking to see if it works ok in the cold rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@albob, we walked up Cairngorm earlier today. They were indeed checking the train. Nothing else was open - it could have been. Beautiful day with virtually no wind. Knee deep loose snow. I don’t recall ever seeing so many non competitive ski tourers and split boarders in one place. People were complaining that at least one lift should have been open.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What’s the script with the Funicular? Last I read it was knackered, like permanently?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ben Wyvis

latest report
@Fifespud, it's been repaired (at great expense) and is undergoing testing. Expected to reopen to the public sometime this winter.
latest report
We stuck with skiing on the front side at Cairngorm yesterday and Sunday - but did see some epic-looking tracks over the back.

Yesterday morning it was -11C in Aviemore but a relatively balmy -7C at the Cas car park. It was bitterly cold skinning up in the shade.

Yes, the train was being tested. We saw it making two or three runs yesterday morning. Looks like two new carriages - or repainted old ones.

Thanks for the birthday message @Rogerdodger.
latest report
Quote:
I don’t recall ever seeing so many non competitive ski tourers and split boarders in one place
Touring is booming! We must've seen between 30 and 50 others at it last Saturday at Cairngorm. There was a procession to the summit, with it almost crowded round the weather station Very Happy

snow conditions
Have skied Cairngorms twice, both times at Easter! Was awesome! Would love to again this season!
snow report
Should be some significant drifting in the Cairngorms going into next week. The very dry snow, strengthening wind and additional snowfall should whip up some impressive drifts. Conditions on the plateau could be quite challenging.
latest report
looks like the west could get some good snow Friday & sunday this week. but then a milder spell.....
snow report
Did you get anywhere close to skiing in your backyard @Peter S, . I was amazed at the snow just above us on Sunday morning. We are in North Wales this was only 150- 180 above sea lvl.
ski holidays
Cairngorm opening beginners zone on Saturday, 150 limited online ticket sales.

https://fb.watch/hqNfLgLeBl/
ski holidays
Quote:
Cairngorm opening beginners zone on Saturday, 150 limited online ticket sales
Given the current Narnia-esque snow conditions, it's absolutely shocking that that's the best they can do. Bottom 75 metres of the Car Park Tow at best? If you didn't laugh Laughing you'd have to cry Crying or Very sad

There's just no desire to make anything happen at Cairngorm Sad An object lesson in how not to run a snowsports area. Despite repairs being seemingly complete, what's the betting that the train doesn't run before April - if at all this season? Confused
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Given the current Narnia-esque snow conditions, it's absolutely shocking that that's the best they can do.

Totally agree. Contrast that to Glenshee, which has far less snow yet opened several days earlier and has been steadily opening new lifts every few days. (Plastic, then Baddoch, then Sunnyside, then Claybokie, and most recently Butchart's.)
ski holidays
Or in stark contrast to the Lecht - a well run ski centre. Oops scratch that. A full cover of snow and no lifts open. A message on Facebook saying they will open the beginners area this weekend...

What?

After the sad passing of the managing director earlier this year, they sacked their main groomer/lift mechanic and alienated other important long serving staff members.

It sounds like there isn't many hill staff left who know what they are doing... not good.
snow report
^^^^That's another shocker @Skibum66 Confused I wasn't aware that The Lecht was joining the Losing All Interest in Providing Snowsports Club, along with Cairngorm and Nevis Range.

Thank goodness for Glencoe and Glenshee.
ski holidays
Skibum66-To balance that, the roads been basically shut for about 6 days with it only opening briefly. So it’s slightly difficult to get there even if they did manage to open, they said they would open this weekend which I’m told is the plan. Assuming the road is cleared as all this drifting won’t help with that. Staffing is tricky as well even at Glenshee , they don’t have a load of people sitting waiting-it doesn’t work like that this time of year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@orange, more likely that the road is shut because the staff who usually clear the road aren't at the lecht any more.
Seasonal staffing is difficult early season. Even more difficult if your full time year round and long term seasonal staff cant or wont work for you,
Any staff now has little or no experience driving a snowplough, piste basher or lift operations.
Check the webcams - people have been up there all week but no effort made to get the hill ready for skiing. Why? Sadly the answer is in my post above.
ski holidays
Interesting, i thought the council was responsible for the road still, i know when i worked there we used to do bits of it but they didn't like it and it was carparks etc only. Police have to open gates as well. I knew about the staffing changes - hopefully this snow sticks around and they get going as they all need supported otherwise they will end up like Cairngorm - useless.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
^^^^That's another shocker @Skibum66 Confused I wasn't aware that The Lecht was joining the Losing All Interest in Providing Snowsports Club, along with Cairngorm and Nevis Range.

Thank goodness for Glencoe and Glenshee.

You can't run a ski area without staff, you can't run piste bashers and ski tows without spare parts. Let's be polite and say Brexiteers not welcome around here.
snow conditions
The annoying thing with Cairngorm is 2 weeks of cold temps like we've had and they should have got a decent man made base (with all the cannons they got on grants) down that probably would pay itself back when the warm spell arrives.
snow conditions
Quote:
they should have got a decent man made base (with all the cannons they got on grants) down that probably would pay itself back when the warm spell arrives
When we there last Monday, they seemed to have done that - there were a fair few 10 ft mounds of snow near the Daylodge.
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, isn't that just for the beginner zone area?
snow conditions
https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Glenshee-Lift-Status

Butcharts access, sunny side and plastic slope open. A reasonable choice of runs there.
snow report
Quote:
isn't that just for the beginner zone area?
Yes. The double Snow Factory unit is right next to The Cairngorm Daylodge. It doesn't power a battery of snow cannons, rather pumps snow out of a single pipe. The double unit (which is the size of two shipping containers) isn't going anywhere - so there must be a limit to the length of pipe and how far up the mountain the snow can be pumped. Given the Snow Factory Iocation, it seems a bit unrealistic to expect artificial cover much beyond the bottom of the mountain.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, they’ve got 8+ snow cannons from memory…..
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@mountainaddict, they’ve got 8+ snow cannons from memory…..

They’ve 8 new TR8s bought with the snow factory, 4 T40s and a TF10. One of the T40s appears unaccounted for recently.

There’s been one lonely gun working intermittently by the Sheiling Tow hut which is mains powered. Aside from that it looks as if they have not been used apart from one complimenting the snow factory.

They did manage to get a couple more going at the base when cameras were there - maybe instead of the snow factory. However most of them are sitting on the hill with no power, no generators and no pumps.
ski holidays
When are we likely to get skiing on CG with most runs open, will it be this year?
snow conditions
https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Webcam

Looks like a reasonable turn out today Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy