Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports and Updates - 2022-23

Poster: A snowHead
With the weather turning colder and a smattering of snow forecast for Cairngorm summit Very Happy it's time to get the 2022-23 Scotland thread underway.

After three years of work, does anyone know if the game-changing new Plateau chairlift at Glencoe will finally operate this season Puzzled Everything was in place apart from the chairs when Mrs MA and I were there at the end of last season.

Fingers crossed for an epic Scottish season, with turns from October to May. We dare to dream! Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It was been tested with the chairs on the line, so yes, I think so.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers denfinella.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes hope so. Andy at Glencoe is really active on social media so I suspect we will get the full picture ahead of time. Let’s wish them and the other Scottish centres, a successful, fun season. Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Let’s wish them and the other Scottish centres, a successful, fun season
It's been posted elsewhere by a fellow snowHead that the Braveheart Chair at Nevis Range is as good as doooomed Skullie If so, that's a real blow for Back Corries skiers there... Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
It's been posted elsewhere by a fellow snowHead that the Braveheart Chair at Nevis Range is as good as doooomed Skullie If so, that's a real blow for Back Corries skiers there... Confused

The turns are more than worth the traverse
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some sad news coming out of Lowther Hills. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the bigger names met a similar fate in the coming years Sad

https://skiclub.lowtherhills.com/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Some sad news coming out of Lowther Hills
Yes, bad news indeed. Have never visited but it's always been on my to do list...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nevis range have announced that they will only be open for skiing 5 days a week (Thurs-Mon) this season, although hopefully 7 days a week during school holidays. With the increase in electric prices, I guess that is fair enough.
They also said that both Braveheart and Warren's won't operate this season. In fact warrens might need to be replaced altogether if it is to open ever again. How did they let it get into that state? I mean, they rarely operate it, even when there is full snow cover and massive queues at the goose, warrens is rarely open.
Since they have had such little appetite to open it, I guess it will never be repaired or replaced.
Same for Braveheart really. Such an underutilised resource.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tele wrote:
Nevis range have announced that they will only be open for skiing 5 days a week (Thurs-Mon) this season, although hopefully 7 days a week during school holidays. With the increase in electric prices, I guess that is fair enough.
They also said that both Braveheart and Warren's won't operate this season. In fact warrens might need to be replaced altogether if it is to open ever again. How did they let it get into that state? I mean, they rarely operate it, even when there is full snow cover and massive queues at the goose, warrens is rarely open.
Since they have had such little appetite to open it, I guess it will never be repaired or replaced.
Same for Braveheart really. Such an underutilised resource.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're quietly hoping for a bad season, so there's an excuse not to run the lifts.

Unless there's big queues at those lifts, I'm not sure the winter side of things is going to pay for itself with their energy bill quadrupling and prices staying the same.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mouse555, you could be right - although worth pointing out a quadrupling of energy bills does not equate to a quadrupling of costs (not that you have said that!).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I saw the report last week that the great carbuncle aka the Cairngorm Funicular should operate this season, i'm told from end Jan it will be all tested and certified again. That would be a bonus, despite what we all think of the CML/HIE debacle if we don't use it I fear we will almost certainly lose it. Here's to a snowy winter.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would endorse your comment @orange, I was up in Aviemore and Glenmore a month ago and all my enquiries regarding the re-opening were greeted with "possibly open for end of this coming season."
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A recent, very positive, Guardian article on skiing in Scotland (even if the photo of the 'new chair' at Glencoe is actually one of the Access Chair wink ).

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/oct/29/skiing-in-scotland-aviemore-highland-glencoe-cairngorms?utm_source=eml&utm_medium=emlf&utm_campaign=Email_Roundup03112022_UK&CMP_TU=mrtn&CMP_BUNIT=holys
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
denfinella wrote:
@Mouse555, you could be right - although worth pointing out a quadrupling of energy bills does not equate to a quadrupling of costs (not that you have said that!).

Energy costs were making up about 5% of a typical Alps resorts turnover. That will increase to 20-25% for resorts renewing their contracts this year. They're talking about it increasing 8 fold next year!

I don't know what the percentages are at the Scottish areas, but there comes a point where it just won't work.. even in an amazing snow year.
snow conditions
The season-long closure of Warrens and Braveheart has been covered above. However, looking more closely at the 2022-3 piste map, it appears that all the pistes in the Warrens area have also been redesignated as "out of bounds". See the new dotted line excluding them from the patrolled area.

That's a big shame, especially since the blacks and reds in the Warrens sector were at least accessible via the Summit lift. It essentially that means there are no longer any black runs at Nevis Range. Of course they are still technically accessible as off piste, but it's not great for those with less experience and without avalanche gear.

snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

The turns are more than worth the traverse

Wise words. The "broken-heart" not run regularly for number of years. However there is still some great skiing over there in spring.

Sadly Nevis Range seems to be suffering from HIE influencing business decisions (as they did on Cairngorm). They sold off their hydro scheme back in 2019 to pay for snow making on nursery slope and blue bike track (which is admittedly superb). Problem is that energy cost have gone through roof since then. Buying back the renewables not looking like such a good deal anymore given subsequent hike in grid prices...

New management more focussed on biking + new hotel (plus making tik-tok videos) rather than making most of skiing.

Mouse555 wrote:
Some sad news coming out of Lowther Hills. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the bigger names met a similar fate in the coming years Sad
https://skiclub.lowtherhills.com/

That is a shame. Given location was never the most snow sure. Only ski toured there but they had a nice set up (club house, groomer, lunch hut). My understanding is that post-brexit the founding director and main man (Spanish guy called anjo) decided to relocate back to EU. Likely now he is gone the club lacking volunteer enthusiasm?

Here is to winter 2023. Too much to hope for early snow?
Covid hit all the ski stations hard so a decent winter would be much appreciated
latest report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c84pw9qew1wo
ski holidays
Absolutely brilliant news!

Phew!! When I read 'Rebranded trains' I was fearing seeing the Trans Pennine Express or Northern Railways logos Shocked - with every other departure cancelled as a result... rolling eyes

All aboard for an epic winter!! Very Happy

EDIT: Oh!! Wait! Not so fast! Hmmm.... Confused
Quote:
The Scottish government agency said trains could be fully operational early next year.

But it added that project costs had risen from about £16m to £25m due to the impacts of Covid, Brexit and blizzards in spring hampering repairs
Pesky covid!...Brexit! Mad And who'd have thought it? Spring snow in the Highlands...
snow report
End of Jan was what I was reliably informed was the date.
snow conditions
Quote:
The ominous bit in the article is where it says they'll be waiting for Dept of Transport approval...

Didn't Glencoe wait months and months for that to happen after their new chairlift was finished Puzzled
latest report
@mountainaddict, yes, that occurred to me as well. I think you are right about Glencoe.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
The ominous bit in the article is where it says they'll be waiting for Dept of Transport approval...

Didn't Glencoe wait months and months for that to happen after their new chairlift was finished Puzzled

Yes. Although since HIE is a publicly funded organization perhaps they have a bit more influence in getting a Dept of Transport inspector to pay a visit?
latest report
£25m of public money to fix a concrete viaduct that has already trashed the mountain and doesn’t offer much for snowsport users. Many skiers and boarders left years ago for Glencoe and Glenshee. It may prove difficult to attract them back.
snow report
Quick refresher required @Peter S, is the funicular the only lift access onto the summit plateau?
Is M1 poma still in existence, if memory serves correctly that did not quite reach the plateau.
As you (PeterS) remarked the train isn't the skiers solution!
latest report
Quote:
Is the funicular the only lift access onto the summit plateau? Is M1 poma still in existence, if memory serves correctly that did not quite reach the plateau
Yes, the M1 draglift is still there.

The top of the tow is level with the Ptarmigan restaurant - so it does indeed serve the highest part of the ski area (which is known as the Ptarmigan Bowl, rather than the summit plateau).
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, and others who like to tour on Cairngorm the weather station on the summit is back in action http://cairngormweather.eps.hw.ac.uk/index.htm, for those who are not on Facebook you can click on their link and it allows you to view their page without wanting you to join.
ski holidays

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 24-11-22 10:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great stuff kitenski. Thanks for that!

Excitement mounts - always great to see snow in Scotland. See you up there soon Laughing
latest report
This should be a good watch I hope!

Can you ski lines off the 10 highest mountains in the UK in two and a half days and make it back in time for work on Monday morning?

-
Ben Lawers
-
Ben Nevis
Carn Mor Dearg
Aonach Beag
Aonach Mor
-
Braeriach
The Angel’s Peak
Cairn Toul
Ben Macdui
Cairngorm

10 in a Weekend Eh oh!
This will be FREE to view online on Monday 28/11 for ONE WEEK ONLY
You’ll need to sign up www.alpinetutorials.com/10inaweekend to catch it, then it’ll be unpublished whilst it screens at ongoing live venues

snow report
It’s open, Think it’ll stop working shortly as they are only opening the link for a bit

http://youtube.com/v/wWqb4CHQEEI
snow report
https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Webcam

Looks like Glenshee have started snowmaking on the plastic slope
snow report
kitenski wrote:
It’s open, Think it’ll stop working shortly as they are only opening the link for a bit

http://youtube.com/v/wWqb4CHQEEI

Watched: Great!!

....Then sat down with the popcorn and watched this (based around Braemar & beyond, looking more like Japan at times snowHead ) both really excellent films

http://youtube.com/v/MWz3gmT8o5s
latest report
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?id=8785e37a-9f57-4095-ae68-1db03c822a32&details&referrer=app&date=2022-12-07
First snow warning of the winter for the far north on Wednesday snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:
First snow warning of the winter for the far north on Wednesday
Snow forecast all week at Cairngorm, with the freezing level at 0-250m.

Will cover be merely cosmetic, or will there be any prospect of opening in the near future?

snow report
@mountainaddict, The Lecht might also be a good bet?
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, 10-20cm probably not enough, unless massive drifting??
ski holidays
Quote:
The Lecht might also be a good bet?
Could be a good shout denfinella.
ski holidays
I've found that snowforecast often underestimates snowfall accumulations from showery weather (e.g. the coming week), whereas it can overestimate frontal snow. Drifting and humidity may well be a factor in this!

I reckon there's a reasonable chance of The Lecht being ready to open either next weekend or soon after. Though weekdays might not be financially viable at this time of year.
snow report
Possibly 40cm of snow this week in Cairngorms. Maybe get skiing next week?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy