Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 22/23 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Boarderfarce wrote:

All it ever takes though is one big dump and we are back in business. Anything could still happen

That will be the tartiflette
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gored, I knew that would get a response just after I posted it
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hd wrote:
8611 wrote:
I saw that and wondered were the wepowder computers broken or gone on auto pilot as he didn't refer to it in his narrative

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/285843

Quote:
Latest update: 28 Nov 2022 - 12:20

Southern Alps some snow?

Small shifts could still have a big impact on the expected snowfall in the southern Alps. In recent days, for instance, we saw some maps come through with retour d'Est signals. It is indeed true that high pressure northeast of the Alps is favourable for a retour d'Est to develop, but that does not mean that everything is certain yet.

Good to see he's acknowledged that "Small shifts could still have a big impact on the expected snowfall" almost as if he read my recent weather blog/feature Laughing

He's always too over-enthusiastic when it comes to a Retour d'Est, though like you say took him a couple of days to cotton on to the possibility of one Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@polo why so negative? Positive signs for parts of the southern Alps for this week and beyond snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not negative at all.....for the future, it just wasn't vintage autumn, but all that is about to change. Still snowing nicely today, staying cold until a little bump higher 5-8th due to Iberian low pumping up mild air over france.
But the real interest has been pointing to 9-13th dec for about a week now. Even well beyond that mid decemeber is likely to remain blocked to the north so about as good a set up as you could hope for in the lead up to full opening / xmas. Some say it looks like 1984, others are thinking 2010, since we last had such a good pattern early Dec.

ECM day 10 mean anomaly is the best, showing a gap between Greenland high and residual scandi / east euro heights.

But GFS and GEM aren't quite there yet, and would delay any northerly drop until at least 11/12th.

Here's the ECM mean pressure chart at day 10. Main lobe of polar vortex firmly over on the Asian side, with accompanying clear Greenland high. A one in 15 year chart possibly (for a day 10 mean).

Latest ECM 00z Op show's the breakthru from the north....but it's tilting to SW, trying to link up the Iberian low. Not ideal for the alps as initially the deep cold will be too far west. Still time for it to change obviously, and I think in the following days it would sweep back to the east.

Zooming in on new GFS 00z op show's the hoped for evolution with a more direct hit over the alps.

While this all plays out there are still pockets of low pressure over france / med.....so likely to be further modest top ups.
GFS 00z Op not too shabby out to the 7th

Widepsread snow likely just the start of a very wintery spell for most of Europe.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
la Clusaz have pushed back their opening due to conditions, they are looking towards the 11th December now.

Looking a bit rainy lower down: https://app.webcam-hd.com/la-clusaz/bossonnet
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@polo loving your work great news for snowHeads less so for fuel billls electricity supplies and associated geopolitical stability or lack thereof Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I may be over swinging the shift from meh to epic just a little....northern europe better placed at the moment to get direct hit of arctic air.

NAO and AO both heading deeper into -ve territory, but these are indicators of pressure differentials that are quite far from the alps. As mentioned a west based -NAO can easily lead to warm air being driven up into the alps from low pressure that is too far west.

Still you can see the overall colder trend emerging on these 9 day GFS charts. These anomalies are vs last century.

06z tones down the snow for southern side this week.....hard to pin down, but somewhere might get lucky....and then everywhere might get luckier, later on.
Am using the relative calm to stock a lot of wood, might order more oil.....solar of no use at the moment....and just seen a big spike in UK power prices today, so no harm being as prepared as one can.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here’s a list of what’s open so far:
https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/europe/sorted/open-slopes/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seems that there is enough of a base (with artificial snow) to allow for Zell am See, Saalbach, Kitzbühel, and Zillertal to all open up next weekend. Overall there has not been all too much snow, but the huge dump we got last week saved us (there were many ski tourers and free riders at Kitzsteinhorn this weekend). We got some snow today down to the valley so everything should look white and wintry, but its all a thin veneer; the base is still hugely reliant on snowmaking.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very good start to the season in central Asia. A couple of resorts already open.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boarder2020 wrote:
Very good start to the season in central Asia. A couple of resorts already open.
Namely?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Very good start to the season in central Asia. A couple of resorts already open....
Namely?
I'm intrigued too! The little-known Pilezersno in Uzbekerjan Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I imagine Asia and NE US / Canada are doing very well.....and look set for at least another week of deep lows......spinning anticlockwise, so snowier down the left flank of any dark coloured areas on these charts.

Here's the current (tomorrows) pattern via UKMO......two major vortex lobes, one over Canada and the other Asia

And then day 7.....showing a split tropospheric vortex, courtesy of Greenland high wedging north.

The first obstacle - getting the purple vortex area to drop down into northern europe around 7-8th seems well modeled now, with all models on the same page and support from the ensembles. GFS has been hesitating for a few days now but has belatedly joined ECM's lead etc.

The second challenge comes in the days after this, re. how far south the deep lows reach, and will they be too far west (disaster / warm air for alps), or too far east (still good for austria). Or potentially, starting west (high snowline) then swinging east with the cold flow....but ideally we get a straight up bulls eye dart for the alps. Need a few more days to be confident.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 30-11-22 21:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hd wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
Namely?

Karakol - biggest resort in Kyrgyzstan
Shymbulak - biggest resort in Kazakhstan

Not sure about the Uzbek resorts, not up to date with them. I know there's been some investment in building lifts recently.
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Here’s a list of what’s open so far:
https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/europe/sorted/open-slopes/

or not, les 7 laux is open, shown as closed in that link
snow report
davidof wrote:
or not, les 7 laux is open, shown as closed in that link

I think it would be reasonable to overlook this small inaccuracy given that Les 7 Laux only opened 1km of pistes and only announced it one day in advance...
snow report
Big differences in GFS and ECM.

+192 GFS

+192 ECM

Though neither quite delivers the knock out blowcthis morning.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Big differences in GFS and ECM.

+192 GFS

+192 ECM

Though neither quite delivers the knock out blowcthis morning.

What sort up of snow would we see from each of these scenarios?
snow report
Neither really delivers for the northern Alps, ECM better. But NE Italy (Aosta valley) up into Zermatt looks good this weekend (40-60cm down to 1000-1500m).
snow report
Differences start across all the models at about t+120. It’s a complex set up with Atlantic lows coming under the Greenland block meeting NE arctic flow. Models will struggle with the phasing of the two sets of lows, with temperatures all over the place. Seeing anything from +4 to -8c at 1500m as warm air from the south meets the incoming polar boundary.

So too early to say how it pans out, but I still think there will be widespread snow and the general pattern is going to be with us out to mid December judging by the mid range anomaly charts.

GEM and JMA 00z runs this morning were very nice, but again too much variance early to have faith in them.

Details probably won’t be clear for another few days……much drama ahead
latest report
Chaos!

In weather forecasting speak - "we ain't got a clue" Laughing
ski holidays
Grand Bornand looking very green, they say "no chance of significant snow in the next week"

snow conditions
its only at 1000m
snow conditions
@davidof, yeah but immediately after that.....incoming purple polar vortex

latest report
@polo wow this presumably is the terrifying for Western European governments but fabulous for snowHeads ensemble option?
snow report
@hd, i just did a few hours work for 2m3 of seasoned chopped oak.....which is greedy as I already have enough trees for 5-10 years Very Happy

Those charts are going to update 4 times a day for the next week, so as I said much drama ahead.....really can't make a snow forecast at that range, but it has epic potential
snow conditions
I really should know better than to even look at this chart.....but it's an option, so here it is

GFS 12z freeze level way out in Fantasy Island

and 1500m temps
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We fly out on 16th December. At least we could wear our thermals and jackets travelling rather than packing them.
snow report
Polo, this is too tantalising, I need to try and avoid this thread for a week or so to avoid the swings of optimism and despair! We're heading to Les Gets on 17th. I'm already seeing if I can buy a few more warm things, if it starts raining instead at least I have some new gloves for next time....

And God forbid the chance of too much snow and ice in the UK, i remember December 2009 all too well when the UK airports got shut. At least I was heading home, always feel for those who can't get out to their holiday.

I'll be quiet now in case i jinx anything!
snow report
Plenty interesting in this evening‘s models.

Short term here’s that snow in NE Italy.

Longer term here’s a cold and snowy +240 on GFS op run with (as above) more of the same in FI (building some support in the ensembles too, but far from nailed on).

ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, ridiculous charts. Hard to stay rational

@Randyp909, @Boarderfarce, it will.be epic
ski holidays
If we get the the Fantasy Island runs, what sort of snow is to be expected? 40cm at 700m in Austria? 2m at 2500m in the NW French Alps?
snow conditions
My professional weather forecasting friend says of these crazy charts:

9 times out of 10 they never materialise, but there is a surprising amount of consistency between the different models
snow report
I feel like a recovered alcoholic now I am no longer glued to this thread, and the models. Good luck, chaps.
snow report
@südtirolistdeutsch, no one can estimate that.....especially without a timeframe

@kitenski, this is the one

@pam w, yes it's just snow, but for some weirdos the hypothetical algorithmic illusions are just as addictive

Throwing cold water on the whole show was GEM tonight. But's that fine, there's always one.
I'm not going to look at a chart or read this thread until monday. By then we will know more than we don't know.
ski holidays
I’m going to Champoluc next Friday the 9th for four days so am reading the above with much interest!
snow conditions
@maddness, I'm going to Champoluc tomorrow for the weekend and I'm more worried I can't get thru to book a table at the Sapin Shocked

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 1-12-22 21:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
polo wrote:
@südtirolistdeutsch, no one can estimate that.....especially without a timeframe

Right I understand that, but what I'm really getting at is what sorts of visions of winter makes these forecasts so promising? If it were to materialize would it mean waist deep powder in the foothills of the Bavarian Alps? Decent snow in London/Paris/Frankfurt? A half meter in Innsbruck? -20C in low alpine valleys? I'm just trying to understand why these modeled results for mid December are so exciting
latest report
I think what @südtirolistdeutsch is asking for is fair… what does fantasy land look like?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy