Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 22/23 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Hot days and hot nights. In the city and in the mountains. Too much partying to do, not enough time.

http://youtube.com/v/6Hxz6qJi-9k

But will it snow again? Yes.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeeahah ! -- Welcome Back @nozawaonsen, snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glad your back @nozawaonsen you have been missed!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here in Australia we’re having a cooler than typical winter. Sure enough we’ll have glimpses of spring within a couple of weeks though. I’m due to be in France for five weeks from about New Year so I’m really looking forward to watching the European weather slowly change from summer to winter. When does the first snowfall generally happen in the high French resorts? I’m guessing early November?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yearly November indeed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sbooker, yep you’d normally expect to see bands of snow coming through at the highest altitudes from September, but nothing really likely to stick around much till November. Of course there’s variation in that too. Sometimes it arrives early, sometimes late.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I demand more snow this coming season. I was not happy with last season’s performance.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can a 'mod' sticky this thread ??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow for the glaciers incoming
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So pleased to see you noza!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welcome back @nozawaonsen!! This thread wouldn't be the same if you didn't start it, in fact I think it might jinx the whole season. Actually I think the lack of precipitation in the UK since 22nd June is partly down to this thread not starting then Laughing

PS.. did I see a sprinkling of snow in Val Thorens on the webcams last week?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the big question is - is the High over Europe beginning to break down after several weeks? One for the experts.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Handy Turnip, It’s was hail

https://www.gamingdeputy.com/savoy-val-thorens-under-the-snow-not-in-hail/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mark1863, Yes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
I think the big question is - is the High over Europe beginning to break down after several weeks?
Like Rob Mackley says - and a bit of high altitude snow too Very Happy

latest report
Snowing on the upper glaciers above 3000m in the Berner oberland
snow report
Torrentially wet in Cham last night. Darn those metal roofs (at least, sleeping under one). First proper rain in weeks.
snow report
Hintertux webcam looks as bad as I've ever seen it. Seem to be people there but surely those pistes on their last legs?

https://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/skiing/skiing-region-current-information/webcams/
snow report
@8611, It's not been a great year for precipitation, but glaciers always look worse in August. I am a little surprised you've seen people up there though – there's a major storm on its way and flood warnings across Tirol. The glacier might look better tomorrow, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it today!
snow report
North America looking at possibly the trifecta of La Nina winters?

Quote:
Confidence is growing that a third consecutive La Niña will occur this winter – something that meteorologists have termed a “Triple Dip La Niña”. Back-to-back La Niña winters are fairly common, but three consecutive La Niña are rare.

A La Niña pattern has persisted into the summer of 2022, and long-range models have been projecting a higher than average chance of a La Niña continuing into the winter of 2022-2023, before possibly weakening in the spring of 2023

If another La Niña were to verify this winter, it would only be the third time since 1950 that three consecutive La Niñas occurred.

Every La Niña winter is different, but in general, they favor above-average snowfall across the Pacific Northwest and Northern Rockies and below-average snowfall across the Southwest. Correlations are weak for Colorado, Utah, and Tahoe.

Sometimes, La Niña winters can be snowier than average across nearly the entire Western United States, with recent examples including ‘07-08, ‘10-11, and to some extent ‘16-17. However, the past two winters (which were both La Niñas) were underwhelming for snowfall across most of the West.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@8611, It's not been a great year for precipitation, but glaciers always look worse in August. I am a little surprised you've seen people up there though – there's a major storm on its way and flood warnings across Tirol. The glacier might look better tomorrow, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it today!

Yeah I only usually have a look in summer out of amusement / fascination with people still skiing, so don't have a good comparator in my head, this year paying a bit more attention because of the other areas shutting. Looks sad though so hopefully a cosmetic sprucing up comes, looks whiteouty there now
snow report
@8611, I’m not sure there has been any snow. It’s hard to tell because of the cloud, but I can’t see any evidence of snow up at Stubai either, so I think it may have just been heavy rain.

I think the worst of the storm has passed now, though it keeps raining intermittently. There has been some flooding in Vorarlberg I believe, and a few roads blocked by mudslides, but I think the worst of it missed the Innsbruck area. Certainly, I have seen a lot worse, and in the end it wasn’t such a violent storm.

What was terrifying though, is the speed at which trees were uprooted in a very fast and violent storm on Thursday that hit further east. Five people were killed by falling trees, including two kids at a bathing lake – somewhere that should be relatively safe, but apparently the storm ripped through in minutes. The others were hikers out on a trail.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, It was pretty grey and damp when I was driving over the Brenner on Saturday night, from the limited views in Sterzing it certainly looked as if it was raining (or whatever) at the top of the Stubaital. It was very wet indeed from Innsbruck to Kufstein
snow conditions
This might be of interest. Mostly a report on the effects, Europe wide, of the prolonged dry spell. It does have a forecast for rainfall in the next few months (page 13) which suggests the central Alps will continue to be drier than normal. https://edo.jrc.ec.europa.eu/documents/news/GDO-EDODroughtNews202208_Europe.pdf
ski holidays
Not a huge surprise, but generally looks warmer than average across Europe as a whole over next 10 days.

http://wxmaps.org/pix/temp4

Over the Alps looks about average in terms of precipitation in the east possibly slightly above average in parts, drier in the west. Pyrenees is a bit of an outlier in appearing a little wetter than average.

http://wxmaps.org/pix/prec4

In part due to the current stormy weather in parts of Spain. https://www.estofex.org/
ski holidays
Some thoughts on ENSO.

Firstly, at best we’re talking about something which increases or decreases the probability of a broad trend for the climate over the season. Secondly, it’s impact is more broadly felt (in a general sense by how it shifts the jet stream) in the US and Japan rather than Europe (by the time the jet reaches the Alps it will have been buffeted and twisted by other factors). Thirdly even in the US translating it into what this actually might mean for the weather is not straightforward.

All that said it’s still one of the big seasonal drivers. So…

As @Toadman, said above the money at present is starting to point towards La Niña.

BOM have a La Niña alert out.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/outlook/

But CPC also indicated that it may fade as we get into 2023.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.shtml

And in any case…

https://wasatchweatherweenies.blogspot.com/2016/09/la-nina-watch-cancelled-but-you.html?m=1
snow report
Maybe, just maybe, the volcanic eruption in Tonga earlier this year might mean a decent snowy winter next season https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/cold-anomaly-stratosphere-polar-vortex-volcanic-cooling-winter-influence-fa/
latest report
Noza, great opening with the superb Sheffield gas fitter. Must get an album of his out!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With autumn in mind if you happen to be tracking peak Red Momiji and Yellow Gingko season across Japan here’s a forecast for you.

https://n-kishou.com/corp/news-contents/autumn/
snow report
Been following Brian Gaze’s “the weather outlook “ for many years , he’s good , and right more often than not . His Autumn forecast will be warming the loins of those up north with an unusually for these days below average temperature call for November.
https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/uk-seasonal-weather-forecast
ski holidays
Precipitation starting to increase in the anomaly charts.

http://wxmaps.org/pix/prec4

Still milder than usual.

http://wxmaps.org/pix/temp4
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen,
Any historical correlation between early autumn weather and winter weather? Does a completely new weather pattern emerge as winter approaches?
latest report
Not really is the short answer. Any correlations are very weak to the extent that they end up being pretty meaningless as any form of predictive tool.
snow conditions
Well, now the summer holidays are over, my thoughts turn immediately to my winter trips. I've dusted off my Snowheads login, and started to take sneaky glances to the long term weather forecasts and to webcams. Worryingly at the moment, everything still looks very hot and dry, and it only feels like a couple of weeks ago that the tour De France went through Chatel and Morzine in baking sunshine.

I have everything crossed for a good early season for the PDS , as we have the week before Christmas booked for a two family trip to Les Gets (a little risky at 1000m, but has been pretty reliable early season over recent years).

I am really hoping that a long hot summer doesn't extend to the Alps in December, as I want to show the second family we're going with the best time in the mountains as they have not been for many years. Hopefully the comment about limited correlation above between summer and winter stays true! I've also got a few days in early March in Kitzbuhel with mates, hoping for some good snow there too, we were there in March 2020, almost the last out before the place was shut down with Covid and there was some very good snow at that time too.

Anyway - fingers crossed for all, I imagine for many, like me this is the first season back since Covid, so there's a lot riding on this season, and some good snow needed!
ski holidays
Rather early for the "is it going to snow in my favourite resort" questions, pretty much still summer. However the folks at Severe Weather have published a first look at long term trends in terms of potential snowfall for the coming winter https://www.severe-weather.eu/long-range-2/winter-2022-2023-snowfall-predictions-long-range-models-united-states-canada-europe-fa/ . It is not very positive for a decent European snow season. I know there are those who say that Farmer Sepp's pet marmot is as accurate and there are all sorts of variables at play (volcanic eruptions) but this sort of forecast has a chance of being somewhat more accurate than a furry rodent Very Happy
ski holidays
From past experience, between now and November a large number of people (and sites) pop up with careful quite detailed winter forecasts.
One of them will be remarkably accurate.
The trick is to know which one . . .
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
From past experience, between now and November a large number of people (and sites) pop up with careful quite detailed winter forecasts.
One of them will be remarkably accurate.
The trick is to know which one . . .

Very accurate description;-)
snow conditions
@Jonpim, absolutely.
snow report
Peering at mid month there’s a bit of a plummet in temperatures as they fall around 10C which could see 10-30cm falling at Hintertux above 1800m. Interesting… Wink
snow conditions
Looks like the first UK snow could be as early as Friday over the huger Cairngorm summits. That would be quite a turnaround after the long hot summer further south. Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy