Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 22/23 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@munich_irish, dry as a pancake on 06z out to 22 Feb. But FI obviously so blah, blah, blah. But yes, good excuse to hit the terrace early and strut your stuff.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
meteox has a snow event in its long term rain radar for next friday but doesnt look like much if it actually materialises

https://www.meteox.com/forecastloop.aspx?type=1
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The E Pyrenees are getting a bit over the next couple of days as Mediterranean moisture gets pushed in on the easterly flow under the High.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
luigi wrote:
The E Pyrenees are getting a bit over the next couple of days as Mediterranean moisture gets pushed in on the easterly flow under the High.

they are, maybe half a meter close to the Med and from low altitudes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For anyone chasing the snow looks like Engelberg was in the eye of the storm and got a nice refresh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
After some teasing earlier in the season a major SSW does now look increasingly likely in mid Feb.

https://twitter.com/drahbutler/status/1622791233868386304?s=46&t=kcz7Zk8_dMul_7edr5TuYA

https://twitter.com/simonleewx/status/1622625337103319040?s=46&t=kcz7Zk8_dMul_7edr5TuYA

https://twitter.com/petagna/status/1622693122030374916?s=46&t=kcz7Zk8_dMul_7edr5TuYA

This increases the likelihood of a sustained cold period towards the back end of February.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen wrote:
After some teasing earlier in the season a major SSW does now look increasingly likely in mid Feb.

https://twitter.com/drahbutler/status/1622791233868386304?s=46&t=kcz7Zk8_dMul_7edr5TuYA

https://twitter.com/simonleewx/status/1622625337103319040?s=46&t=kcz7Zk8_dMul_7edr5TuYA

https://twitter.com/petagna/status/1622693122030374916?s=46&t=kcz7Zk8_dMul_7edr5TuYA

This increases the likelihood of a sustained cold period towards the back end of February.

I was in Flaine this weekend - my American ski clinic instructor (he used to teach Chemmy Alcott when she was at primary school by the way … and then he got me) was very knowledgeable about this type of stuff and was adamant that the effects of a SSW were heading Europe’s way in the next 10 days. Does this also mean snow for the Alps or just a sustained period of high pressure / arctic temps?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 7-02-23 10:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@franga, back in January there was a weakening and deceleration of the polar vortex, but not an SSW. A close, but no cigar event.

The potential SSW referred to above isn’t due to take place for ten days and the impact normally lags several days behind the SSW itself. If it happens it increases the likelihood of cold for Europe, but does not guarantee it. As for snow, yes there is a risk that it leads to high pressure and cold from the east, but it all depends on how it plays out.

This is a useful thread on the subject.

https://twitter.com/domeisen_d/status/1618658484916215808?s=46&t=kcz7Zk8_dMul_7edr5TuYA
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@franga, back in January there was a weakening and deceleration of the polar vortex, but not an SSW. A close, but no cigar event.

The potential SSW referred to above isn’t due to take place for ten days and the impact normally lags several days behind the SSW itself. If it happens it increases the likelihood of cold for Europe, but does not guarantee it. As for snow, yes there is a risk that it leads to high pressure and cold from the east, but it all depends on how it plays out.

https://twitter.com/domeisen_d/status/1618658484916215808?s=46&t=kcz7Zk8_dMul_7edr5TuYA

Thank you - Daniela's thread is very clear and simple to follow. Very interesting stuff.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nozawaonsen wrote:

This reply should be stickied for future reference.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And how was Lynn @franga,?

A bit of a legend in Flaine....deservedly so.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zikomo wrote:
It’s amazing. Every half-term, no matter where I go the warm weather finds me. Cold this week but no snow to talk about. THEN forecast for Champoluc next week is showing 9 degrees, with even the top being above freezing. And every time I look it gets worse! No snow, warm weather, I seem to have had a long run of bad luck! It really annoys me, I don’t expect great conditions every year but this is getting ridiculous! Arghhhhh

Commiserations. I also call myself the anti snow magnet so I know how you feel.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You did all right for snow in Arabba @Raven...... but so much so that all the lifts were closed. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raven wrote:
zikomo wrote:
It’s amazing. Every half-term, no matter where I go the warm weather finds me. Cold this week but no snow to talk about. THEN forecast for Champoluc next week is showing 9 degrees, with even the top being above freezing. And every time I look it gets worse! No snow, warm weather, I seem to have had a long run of bad luck! It really annoys me, I don’t expect great conditions every year but this is getting ridiculous! Arghhhhh

Commiserations. I also call myself the anti snow magnet so I know how you feel.

Drives me nuts! I hate it when a winter holiday is warm. I expect it in spring but there is the compensations of often getting a few big dumps and good day touring. In winter I want at least around average temps for the time of year so at least the piste is not a slush fest the whole time.

Snow-forecast is now showing freezing level well above the top lift in Monterosa (which is quite high) for much of next week including night-time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
zikomo wrote:

Snow-forecast is now showing freezing level well above the top lift in Monterosa (which is quite high) for much of next week including night-time.

From the 12th, with a risk of rain on the 16th. Given the lack of snow in some areas could be a bit of a downer.
snow report
Yes it is annoying to see it warm up so dramatically on the back of several cold but snow-free weeks. For all the dismissal of the long-term forecasts on this thread, the warming up on the 11th seems to have been spot on all along if the forecast for 4 days time can be taken as accurate.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
zikomo wrote:

From the 12th, with a risk of rain on the 16th. Given the lack of snow in some areas could be a bit of a downer.

Not helping!
latest report
meteox still suggesting some snow on Friday........ this was the same site that i highlighted the infamous snowmegdeon a few years back.......and took 15 hours from Chambery to Sainte Foy!!!!

https://www.meteox.com/forecastloop.aspx?type=1
ski holidays
@ben76, the point about long term forecasts is that you cannot have confidence in their outcomes, not that they are not necessarily right, still less that they are definitely wrong.
snow report
@zikomo, the snowpack will still likely freeze overnight if skies are clear, even if air temperature is above zero. I don't think rain on the 16th looks at all likely at this stage.

Sunny and relatively mild is really not bad, especially somewhere with good snowmaking and a dry climate like Monterosa. It could be milder, wetter, windy, foggy... or very snowy with lifts shut due to avalanche risk. All which would be worse.
snow report
@denfinella, Thanks. You are very kind to try and reassure me!

We will definitely have enough snow on the pistes for some skiing. But I have noticed they have not been running the snow cannons to top up the pistes, despite the cold weather, so at best it is very hard inn then morning then slush fest in the afternoon. We might have to revert to spring tactics, first lift and ski hard to late and long lunch!

But I really am due a cold February week!
latest report
@zikomo, slush fest in Feb? you want to try skiing last Easter when it was 20+ degrees!!

I'm sure you'll have a great holiday!
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:
@denfinella ski hard to late and long lunch!

The older I get the, less of a problem I have with this concept Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Dashed wrote:
zikomo wrote:
@denfinella ski hard to late and long lunch!

The older I get the, less of a problem I have with this concept Very Happy Very Happy

Me too. The only problem is persuading teenagers that first lift is worth it!
snow report
So cold today couldn’t sit out for lunch. Fingers and toes numb by the end of the day vs T-shirt in the sun? Hmm, difficult for the hard core skier still burning strong inside me vs the comfort seeking growing old body strapped to my skis!!
snow report
Mods please prune the waffle and wibble from this thread
latest report
red 27 wrote:
Mods please prune the waffle and wibble from this thread

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
#hopecasting Can't figure out how to post an image but yr for Avoriaz showing a medium dump Wed/Thurs next week Very Happy

Linky - https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-3035648/France/Auvergne-Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes/Upper%20Savoy/Avoriaz

Never mind, it's gone now, must have been an error as it wasn't showing on charts! Odd.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can somebody share an ensemble or wriggly for the next few weeks. I was getting quite mildly okay at reading them but haven’t seen one on here in a while. Heading to GM at end of month. Ta.
snow report
Here you go. Not much to say other than a warm up with higher pressure and very settled for the foreseeable. Hopecast would say chance of something on 15th, only 2 or 3 (out of 30) members suggesting a change of pattern.

Equivalent for ECM run, temp at 1500m only, again nothing to provide much hope.

Enjoy the sun!!
ski holidays
In Norway for work, had planned to ski Voss/Myrkdalen tomorrow (done both before) but lifts off tomorrow due to 60kph wind forecast... but heavy snow.

Still should be good and deep on Friday morning! Before a band of rain moves in rolling eyes

Understand Scotland has had some high winds too, guess it will be a Westerly storm that's tracking in.
snow report
https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2023/02/07/are-we-expecting-a-sudden-stratospheric-warming/?fbclid=IwAR3r1VMUwDxEnEgrn5HDb0DK_XPmGdVlxDb5JvfV1aSiSrrxotYlJAgEyN4
ski holidays
Quote:
scottishandy wrote:
Here you go. Not much to say other than a warm up with higher pressure and very settled for the foreseeable. Hopecast would say chance of something on 15th, only 2 or 3 (out of 30) members suggesting a change of pattern.

Equivalent for ECM run, temp at 1500m only, again nothing to provide much hope.

Enjoy the sun!!

Thanks
latest report
Good piece on potential SSW and potential impacts (note the potential bit, an SSW looking increasingly like, but what will it mean?).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/02/09/polar-vortex-sudden-stratospheric-warming/
snow conditions
Thanks @nozawaonsen, interesting read. Anything that hints of colder weather, however far off is, always welcome!
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Good piece on potential SSW and potential impacts (note the potential bit, an SSW looking increasingly like, but what will it mean?).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/02/09/polar-vortex-sudden-stratospheric-warming/

there is still considerable uncertainty in how things will evolve

seems to be a key phrase as no doubt the UK tabloids will be full of snowmagaddeon headlines!!
ski holidays
Is it me or does this winter seem amazingly dry?
I've been following the charts since early December for our Christmas trip and now ready for our Easter trip.
The French alpes have only had 2 notable dumps of snow all winter and its been completely dry for the last few weeks.
snow report
@Boarderfarce, not sure the Alps has ever had constant dumps regularly, seasons seem to rely on big dumps, hence why people who want that goto Japan!
snow conditions
@Boarderfarce, yes I agree - dumps are sporadic at best but the French Alps haven't really seen any snow for 3 weeks, and nothing in the forecast for at least another week. And prior to that there wasn't really any dumps since before Christmas.
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
@Boarderfarce, yes I agree - dumps are sporadic at best but the French Alps haven't really seen any snow for 3 weeks, and nothing in the forecast for at least another week. And prior to that there wasn't really any dumps since before Christmas.

This may be of interest to view historical precipitation in various resorts - precipitation vs. cloud/sun chart on meteoblue...

This is the precip. Dec thru Feb for La Plagne

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/historyclimate/weatherarchive/la-plagne_france_6544536?fcstlength=1y&year=2023&month=2
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy