Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
@sweaman22, ok thanks

I will spend longer there to sample the conditions for more than a fortnight, I’ve got a trip planned for next season for at least 3 weeks so let’s see snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stuarth, on that video it looks like he came out of his bindings as the impact was too great.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@stuarth, on that video it looks like he came out of his bindings as the impact was too great.

That is a massive drop (I have spent time on top of it trying very hard not to go off of it!). Shocked
I think it was like he said in the comments. If you look as he lands he is in a hole, his skis slow down faster than his body... then boom. I'm sure he'll be trying again soon! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stuarth, ah I’d not seen the comments
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Width. I think one has to ask what benefit you're getting from extra width, or extra area depending on how you look at it. In powder.

With snowboards, we all used to ride big boards with lots of area. Over time, everyone has shifted to smaller boards, albeit wider and sometimes without tails. Experts tend to ride smaller boards with tails... because the reduced surface area makes the board more responsive, and the tail gives a lot of extra control. Novices like tail-less wide boards ("fish") for precisely the same reason.

I was asking some expert powder skiers how that worked for skis, and I think their consensus was that it's the same - they don't go for the fattest possible skis because they want something "twitchier". The "balance" thing works differently for skis though, so I'm not sure I grok that completely.

90km/h Northerly (weird) winds here yesterday, but wind affected can be avoided. Minus 14 on the hill today.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Only 4 days left.
Arrived with -40 temperature but soon came back to a more acceptable temp.

80cm dump before we arrived and still had fresh most mornings.
Skiing has been excellent and weekdays has been nice and quiet.

Few new restaurants to try downtown Banff too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RoamingBull, if you’ve not been already try the Greek place up the steps next door but one (I think) to the SkiBig3 Adventure Hub.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Balkan I think you mean? Not been there yet tbh. But thank you for the recommendation.

Hello Sunshine the Japanese eatery is good.

Tbh there’s plenty of decent eateries.

Brazen apparently is excellent which we’ve not tried yet.

Been skiing solo most of the trip as the Mrs’s has gone backwards Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!Eh oh!
Can’t give in this holiday though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were at Lake Louise today- first day it felt like ‘normal’ temperatures- minus 7 at the base and a bit colder up top. Fantastic sunshine. Everything was a bit scraped off by mid afternoon but had some great skiing. Off to Sunshine tomorrow- just so relieved to have minus 25 and worse behind us. Looks like a good week for temperatures.

@RoamingBull, why has you wife lost her confidence? Are you skiing at Sunshine or LL mostly? Sunshine Coast on Goats Eye is a lovely run, you just have to get past the first scratchy bit and then it’s a really good run.

Also, I know a really good instructor at LL. he gave me my confidence 20 years ago and I never looked back. PM me if you want any more info.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lynnecha wrote:
We were at Lake Louise today- first day it felt like ‘normal’ temperatures- minus 7 at the base and a bit colder up top. Fantastic sunshine. Everything was a bit scraped off by mid afternoon but had done great skiing. Off to Sunshine tomorrow- just so relieved to have minus 25 and worse behind us. Looks like a good week for temperatures.

@RoamingBull, why has you wife lost her confidence? Are you skiing at Sunshine or LL mostly? Sunshine Coast on Goats Eye is a lovely run, you just have to get past the first scratchy bit and then it’s a really good run.

Also, I know a really good instructor at LL. he gave me my confidence 20 years ago and I never looked back. PM me if you want any more info.

Today we had a day off and went to Lake Louise and had a walk and a drink at the ice bar. Was a nice day.

We generally don’t ski Louise as she finds it too narrow.
She had decent confidence last year and our first visit in 2020. Now it’s like going back 10 years. It’s frustrating for me due to I always wait for get but I’m fed up of getting cold waiting. I booked her a lesson but it seems like a waste of time.
I just bog off as it has held me back for too long for myself to progress.
I too could do with a lesson just to clean my skiing up and send me down other areas.
I like lake Louise

On the way back today there were loads of elk at the railway crossing near vermillion it was a great site.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@RoamingBull, sent you a PM
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gotcha
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
By March there used to be cheap “First Tracks” private lessons. I bought a few (I think 5) and insisted on the same instructor each time. That helped me progress quicker rather than one lesson and hope it fixes the problem.

Amazingly he worked on my stopping, which I started thinking was a waste of time, but soon came to realize it’s the core for a lot of confidence issues; with steeps, narrows, fast mainly we get nervous as we think we can’t stop in time.

Have a good holiday and good luck to your wife.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RoamingBull, yeah Balkan that’s it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Orange200, first tracks is magic. On the hill before anyone else- and in March it’s actually light! One of my favourite things go do.

20 years ago I really struggled with confidence- I had a series of lessons at LL and I also learned how to stop and control speed on icy/narrow bits. That and a few other improvements made me think I may actually enjoy skiing…never looked back.

Still learning - maybe I will actually be a good skier next lifetime…
snow conditions
@lynnecha, do you know if they run it all the time? I got the impression it was an end of season offer, March onwards.
snow conditions
@Orange200, we’ve done it in early February. It was nearly dark when we got on the lift so I think they start when the mornings are light enough. I think it was about 10th Feb. Definitely before the 14th.
snow report
https://www.skilouise.com/ski-snowboard-lessons/adult-lessons/adult-first-tracks-lessons/

Most of the season by the look of things. Typically I asked too late.
Oh well another good excuse to come back.
snow conditions
Has anyone heard what happened with the avalanche just outside Panorama the other day? The heliskiing?

I’ve never been heliskiing.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Has anyone heard what happened with the avalanche just outside Panorama the other day? The heliskiing?

I’ve never been heliskiing.

Some details here https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/9526073/invermere-heliski-avalanche-bc-german-survivor/amp/
snow conditions
@boarder2020, thanks
Sounds like all of them got caught as it said it was a group of 10 but they don’t say if it was 9 plus the guide.

Must have been really frightening
ski holidays
Yeah it will be interesting to read a proper report. I've heard some of the heli and cat ops don't submit incident reports to avalanche Canada, I guess it's not good for business. Although with multiple deaths expect there will be some kind of enquiry and maybe a lawsuit (it's n America after all!)

My first reaction when there are multiple burials is that big mistakes were made.
snow conditions
Speculation - I'm pretty sure they submit something to avalanche Canada but due to the potential liability of a professional operation it's not in the public domain. There was another incident with CMH earlier in the year and nothing was posted for that one either.
snow conditions
@sweaman22, yeah that’s why I thought someone local might have heard bits and bobs.
Whatever happened 3 people have died all in the same family/friends of family.
Very sad.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, I've heard a bit, but not much. I think Pano shut for the afternoon as all the patrollers left to help with rescue. Very sad day. Not the first I think heli-skiing in Canada this year, but the biggest group. Its been a bad year for avalanches, I think the western Canada total is higher than normal. I've done lots of research into avalanches and ski deaths. Its usually the most highly skilled highly trained skiers that get caught out. Lots of human factors. You are more likely to die in familiar terrain than unfamiliar terrain and groups with guides do not necessarily fare better than those without. I've never heli-skied; I don't like helicopters. Would like to go cat skiing, I think that's safer as the driver is constantly assessing terrain, whereas a heli can drop you anywhere. My boss went cat sking last week near REvy. All their runs were treed because of the risk (so they had some focus on tree well safety)
snow report
@gryphea, I think the cat skiing is better too
ski holidays
gryphea wrote:
... Would like to go cat skiing, I think that's safer as the driver is constantly assessing terrain, whereas a heli can drop you anywhere. My boss went cat sking last week near REvy. All their runs were treed because of the risk (so they had some focus on tree well safety)
I ran the booking/ logistics system for a heli/ cat operator for a couple of decades up to Covid. The driver doesn't do snow assessments, that's a guide thing. And you don't dig the pits near the cat road, which is not where you're riding. But both types of operation do the same amount/ level in my direct personal experience both as customer and operator. For daily stuff you may get more snow pits for a heli, as if you're only getting 5 runs you've time to kill.

I just finished a couple of weeks riding from helicopters (different snow zone from Panorama). Very little obvious slide activity there, although lots of caution was used for obvious reasons. I've heli boarded at Revelstoke - it's mostly trees from what I recall (a good thing: trees are the best). If you look at the risks I think NARSID risk is similar to slide risk. Guests are trained in both and sign waivers to indicate they understand the risk. For daily stuff, you're not going to get deep in the forest as novices would get lost etc.

For daily people (first timers) cat skiing is probably a better product because your speed is limited by the machine, not by you. Unless you're really slow, in which case they can split the group or you can ride down in the cat, something you can't generally do in a heli (because there will be 2 other groups sharing the heli with you). Obviously the terrain is also limited by where the cat roads are built - you can't just drive through 3.3m of unconsolidated snow. Novices may not notice, but cat roads are GPS mapped and if the driver "falls off" the road, you'll know it! Cats are better value for novices (in terms of vertical), and you may well get to better terrain (you can always ride down the road if you can't manage it...). Broadly the opposite's true for experts, who will avoid "daily" stuff anyway.

There's another thread here about the Panorama deaths.

Quote:
I guess it's not good for business.
Heli operators' reporting of incidents is comprehensive , and snow and slide data is shared openly between operators for safety reasons, pretty much in real time.
In the real world safety is "good for business", which should be obvious.

--
Conditions in Whistler excellent, no line-ups [I was there during the week and I don't keep tourist hours], snow which grips consistently from first lift to last, top to bottom.
snow report
@phil_w,

Quote:

Conditions in Whistler excellent, no line-ups [I was there during the week and I don't keep tourist hours], snow which grips consistently from first lift to last, top to bottom.

Excellent. I shall be out there next week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hold baggage handling at YVR took over an hour, and at LHR on return 1.5 hours: I think both airports may have "staffing issues". That was for "priority" luggage. Whistler gets busier Saturday & Sunday, also Friday a bit. Crowd avoidance works best if you... don't think like the crowd, so starting early and not stopping for lunch when everyone else does are kind of useful tactics. The Blackcomb layout is more flexible for people avoidance too.
snow conditions
@Acacia,

Spring break next couple of weeks, so wouldn't count on quiet slopes!

On the plus side some, crazy freeride events going on that should be fun and might be worth a peak!
- FWQ Challenger finals (that's the thing that decides who is on the freeride world tour next year) in Diamond Bowl Monday.
- Freeride Junior Nationals on the Bite. then Saudan Couloir next Friday to Sunday
snow report
@stuarth,

Yeah. It's always spring break when I visit.
ski holidays
@Acacia,
Surprisingly quiet today, with decent snow and good viz. Very strange! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Looking ahead to next season, does anyone know if the Kicking Horse roadworks will be complete by next winter? I thought that they were due to end prior to this winter, but it looked like they were a long way off to me.

Also any inside info on the Panorama shuttle bus? I noticed @VolklAttivaS5 mentioned in this thread that this didn't run due to 'logistical issues' in 2023. That's more than I could get out of Discover Banff Tours, who just said it wouldn't be running this season. Any hopes that it might return in 2024? I'll also get in contact with them again and see if they come back with anymore info about next year's prospects.
latest report
@Orange200, first tracks is magic. On the hill before anyone else- and in March it’s actually light! One of my favourite things go do.

20 years ago I really struggled with confidence- I had a series of lessons at LL and I also learned how to stop and control speed on icy/narrow bits. That and a few other improvements made me think I may actually enjoy skiing…never looked back.

Still learning - maybe I will actually be a good skier next lifetime…

So Banff booked again late January early Feb. Think we have 9 days skiing with two days off. Moose is our mainstay as always.
Just sent Ski Louise an email re First Tracks for my wife. Fingers crossed they can take away any issues she has with control. I just want her to enjoy skiing. She loves the holiday.

Oh and the snow is falling!!!

Who's going?
ski holidays
@RoamingBull

My wife and I are headed out to Banff early Jan, also staying at Moose, we loved it there last time. We went to Canada for the first time Jan 2022 and we can't wait to get back!

I keep checking the Sunshine Village webcams for snow updates!
snow report
Yes Skiing in Canada is our favourite. Further to travel but more than makes up for it when you arrive.
Moose is a great spot.

Very pleasant folk in the area and generally few people queuing on the slopes.
Ski’d in January first time 2020, April 22 and Feb/Mar 23.
All times great.
latest report
RoamingBull wrote:

Just sent Ski Louise an email re First Tracks for my wife. Fingers crossed they can take away any issues she has with control. I just want her to enjoy skiing. She loves the holiday.

Best wishes. The guy transformed me. But I think you need to clearly explain your wants and needs, and insist on the same instructor each day, to get the most out of it.
ski holidays
Orange200

Yes fingers crossed someone can transform my wife to be a semi decent skier. Think 4 mornings at First tracks LL will help. And as you rightly quoted to have the same instructor for the duration.
snow report
For anyone travelling to Sunshine Village this year, they currently have Black Friday/cyber sale a sale on their mobile tickets.

Has anyone used their mobile tickets before?
latest report
I think the mobile tickets are brand new this year... certainly they're pushing them really hard locally and I've never seen them advertised previously. The physical cards look completely different as well.

They're still working out the kinks. I know this because I recently went to try and get junior his pass and was told childrens tickets weren't yet fully tested (this is despite the hill being somewhat open)... The lady suggested I get junior a mobile ticket but I pointed out a 9 year old doesn't have his own phone yet. Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy