Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Please redirect to thread if currently a live topic.

I am seeking to better understand the new restrictions:

1. You have to quarantine on arrival until a negative PCR is delivered?
2. You choose where to quarantine?
3. What restrictions are on you when in quarantine - can you go to a shop? or is it just takeaways as you are under house arrest?
4. Is it possible to change quarantine location after 24 hours?
5. Does Canada have any of the 3 hour PCR tests?
6. Do these exist at Calgary airport?

Oh, and...

7. I have to have a negative PCR 24 hours before departure?
8. I have to do a negative OCR in the 72 hours before returning to UK?
9. I then have to do the up to 2 day quarantine until negative PCR but can get a 3 hour PCR done at airport on return to UK?

Really grateful for any advice or sign-posting snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assuming you're a double-vaccinated adult and arriving from the UK then as I understand it you'll be allowed in. You need a pre-departure PCR test within 72 hours of flying and proof of vaccination uploaded to ArriveCAN.

There's no requirement to quarantine although it seems you do need a plan, in case border officials deem you unvaxed. Unlikely I guess, but anyway.

All the details are here - https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/answers/foreign-vaccinated

We're due to fly in Feb, haven't thought about the return journey requirements yet!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@narbs, Thank you - if you click on the news release link on that link above you will read the paragraph below:

Moving forward, border testing surveillance will be adjusted based on the latest available evidence to further reduce the risk of importation of this variant. In the coming days, all fully vaccinated travellers arriving by air from departure points other than the United States will be subject to arrival testing. Fully vaccinated travellers will be required to quarantine while they await the results of their arrival test.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowsartre wrote:
@narbs, Thank you - if you click on the news release link on that link above you will read the paragraph below:

Moving forward, border testing surveillance will be adjusted based on the latest available evidence to further reduce the risk of importation of this variant. In the coming days, all fully vaccinated travellers arriving by air from departure points other than the United States will be subject to arrival testing. Fully vaccinated travellers will be required to quarantine while they await the results of their arrival test.

Ah, didn’t spot that, thanks.

More digging needed then! Hopefully will be able to get results in hours rather than days and can travel to destination while awaiting results as you can here.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@narbs,

New thing today apparently.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-confusion-new-travel-measures-1.6271297
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stuarth, thanks for that, will see what develops…..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It seems a bit vague on the details...
Another article on CBC News seems to say that it will be up to the airports to decide if on-site or take home - either way in quarantine until the results come back - hope its a rapid test!
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/airport-covid-19-testing-for-travellers-arriving-in-canada-could-start-any-time-minister-says-1.5689080
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wait and see time. In Iceland in May they had "arrival PCR test and quarantine" fully in place for all incoming people. They way that worked was that you could were tested (for free) by them on arrival in the terminal. Then you had a 6 hour wait for the test result. You could not fly internal, or mix with people, buy beer etc. You had to quarantine in a hotel or... you could hire a car and drive 6 hours across the island. I did the latter and when I arrived at my destination the Iceland government application told me I was clear. Zero cost, almost zero delay, then.

Me, I tend to stay in YVR overnight anyway. There is already testing available in the airport, albeit probably not large scale.
In the best case they'd test you on exit like Iceland, then you'd be confined to the hotel room until the result was available,
which ought to be the next morning. So best case I just lose a spa session and some mediocre hotel food.
... but pandemics have risks which are beyond our control.

The problem for places like YVR is going to be volume of people, as it's massively larger than Reykjavik.

As far as quarantine plans, anyone know what they regard as acceptable?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
narbs wrote:
Assuming you're a double-vaccinated adult and arriving from the UK then as I understand it you'll be allowed in. You need a pre-departure PCR test within 72 hours of flying and proof of vaccination uploaded to ArriveCAN.

There's no requirement to quarantine although it seems you do need a plan, in case border officials deem you unvaxed. Unlikely I guess, but anyway.

All the details are here - https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/answers/foreign-vaccinated

We're due to fly in Feb, haven't thought about the return journey requirements yet!

I called the hotel in Whistler and as far as a quarantine plan goes, saying you have the resources to and will stay in a hotel is adequate.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ptspeak wrote:
...I called the hotel in Whistler and as far as a quarantine plan goes, saying you have the resources to and will stay in a hotel is adequate.
Thanks, good to know.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ptspeak wrote:
narbs wrote:

I called the hotel in Whistler and as far as a quarantine plan goes, saying you have the resources to and will stay in a hotel is adequate.

Thanks, that's something at least! We're going to Banff and the slope access requirements for Sunshine are quite different from those in place at Lake Louise. As was said above, a long time to go for us so things will change I'm sure.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I understand you will have to quarantine until a negative test. I suspect you can't change location, but I think you might be good to quarantine in Banff. Not sure how long the tests take to come back. A friend arrvied in Calgary on weds supposedly after this came in. No requirements to test, no quarantining. So its a bit early to tell
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK - new question that I can't seem to find an answer to that has suddenly become relevant to me. Mrs Saintsman has this evening tested positive on LFT and is symptomatic - I'm negative and unsymptomatic for the moment; however we're both PCRing tomorrow, and frankly the chances of either of us returning a negative result look slim

My understanding is that a positive test result more than 14 days and less than 180 days pre-departure alleviates the requirement for both pre departure and on arrival testing (even in Omicron times) - but what is accepted as "proof"? The PCR record in the NHS app?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Saintsman,

All changed this week. Not sure that anyone knows exactly what to yet!
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
@Saintsman,

It appears pretty clear the the 14+ exemption remains - I've been tracking this very closely and I'm pretty confident in that. What I;m not clear on is what constitutes proof, what info the NHS actually provides, etc
ski holidays
Saintsman wrote:
stuarth wrote:
@Saintsman,

It appears pretty clear the the 14+ exemption remains - I've been tracking this very closely and I'm pretty confident in that. What I;m not clear on is what constitutes proof, what info the NHS actually provides, etc

Not really sure how (or why) it would in light of Omicron data on reinfection coming from the UK (possibly based on SA cases?). This is what the new measures are for I believe...
For marginally more details of what to expect, see:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/arrival-testing-regime-explainer-1.6272919

Canada has typically been quite restrictive including to its own citizens, hence why I'm not doing business travel right now! so I wouldn't bet on too much dealing with exceptions for visitors.
ski holidays
@Saintsman, I don't think that applies in Canada at all?
latest report
It can take up to 3 days for the test result to come back according to one news report which is fine if you're there for 2 weeks but any less than that is a huge cut to a holiday, I’m not booking any lift passes until I arrive into Canada and I’m even considering switching to Europe as this is frankly going to lead to chaos on arrival to the airport.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 4-12-21 13:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
gryphea wrote:
@Saintsman, I don't think that applies in Canada at all?

Still does according to travel.gc.ca
latest report
@RichardB, Agree , it could be tough. But they will be under a lot of pressure to get rid of it. They were heavily criticized for not acting sooner earlier in the pandemic relating to travel, so this was a reaction to the unknowns about Omicron. The next few weeks will tell
latest report
The mail in test referenced in the article link will be a logistical nightmare. My flight to Vancouver in January arrives at 1800. Assuming we get a self test kit that means I’d have to mail it in and sit in a Whistler hotel 2-3 days. Being from the USA I’m currently exempt from arrival testing, but I’m not counting on that lasting. If my trip is 6 days, spending half quarantined is a waste. If USA citizens are added to require arrival testing then goodbye Whistler, hello Aspen.
My main concern if my long awaited revelstoke/kicking horse trip in March. Hopefully things are relaxed by then. The problem is, restrictions are added very hastily, and removed very slowly.
ski holidays
@gryphea, I'm holding fire for now as it is likely pointless to change destination as things can change anywhere at a moments notice, Switzerland quickly back pedaled on their mandatory quarantine and hopefully similar will happen with Canada's testing requirement. It's angering as it makes even having the PCR test 72 hours before near enough redundant.
snow report
RichardB wrote:
@gryphea, I'm holding fire for now as it is likely pointless to change destination as things can change anywhere at a moments notice, Switzerland quickly back pedaled on their mandatory quarantine and hopefully similar will happen with Canada's testing requirement. It's angering as it makes even having the PCR test 72 hours before near enough redundant.

You are correct. At least in the USA and Europe, the testing is privately handled and reported to the government. Having the Canadian government control the testing process itself will be inefficient, even if they outsource to private companies. The volume of tests will be overwhelming, and governments do nothing efficiently. It would make more sense to tighten the pre arrival testing window to 24-48 hours than have this second redundant test.
ski holidays
Ptspeak wrote:
RichardB wrote:

You are correct. At least in the USA and Europe, the testing is privately handled and reported to the government. Having the Canadian government control the testing process itself will be inefficient, even if they outsource to private companies. The volume of tests will be overwhelming, and governments do nothing efficiently. It would make more sense to tighten the pre arrival testing window to 24-48 hours than have this second redundant test.

And that would be perfectly fine, I would rearrange or cancel my current PCR appointment if that happened as I've booked it for 72 hours before, what Canada is doing is overcomplicating things for travelers and whilst I get why Canada's government need to be seen to act, there are better ways to do this.
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
Saintsman wrote:
stuarth wrote:
@Saintsman,

Not really sure how (or why) it would in light of Omicron data on reinfection coming from the UK (possibly based on SA cases?). This is what the new measures are for I believe...
For marginally more details of what to expect, see:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/arrival-testing-regime-explainer-1.6272919

Canada has typically been quite restrictive including to its own citizens, hence why I'm not doing business travel right now! so I wouldn't bet on too much dealing with exceptions for visitors.

I think there's a misunderstanding as to why this rule is in place. It's not in lieu of a complete vaccination record - you still need to be fully vaxxed regardless. This is in place because, as travel.gc.ca notes, you can continue to test positive on a PCR for as much as 180 days post recovery (there's actually recorded cases of longer than this), even while you are no longer shedding active virus particles. So, if you can prove that your infection was between 14 and 180 days prior to your departure, and you're now symptomless, AND you're fully vaxxed and meet all other requirements, you're excused both the pre-departure test and on-arrival test because it proves precisely nothing at all.
snow report
Ptspeak wrote:

My main concern if my long awaited revelstoke/kicking horse trip in March. Hopefully things are relaxed by then. The problem is, restrictions are added very hastily, and removed very slowly.

To make you feel better, I'm in the right country and suspect you have less logistical issues than I do for my upcoming Kicking Horse trip! Im needing some major highways to be reconstructed by then! Sad
I'm also hoping that things don't get more complicated on the US-Canada border, as my plan to get to Red most likely involves going through the US.
ski holidays
@Saintsman,
Good luck, and hope your travel goes smoothly. But don't count on arguing your case with CBSA, they have fined people making essential trips for gas/food when BC government said it was fine due to our current issues, and giving Canadians 14 days quarantine for not doing the arriveCan thing for day trips (have to admit, I had no idea that was necessary either!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stuarth - I'm just trying to comply with the rules. The rules as they stand are that someone who can prove their positive status more than 14 days before departure are exempt. That's VERY clearly published and stated online and is the federal rule. The guidance for that is based on a legit reason that SHOULDN'T (and I get that I am tempting fate here) change due to Omicron etc unless the border closes completely. All I'm looking for is guidance as to what qualifies as proof.

The fact that the rules in my circumstances would work in my favour is a side benefit. My first concern is being able to actually get into Canada, and there's now a very real chance that I or my wife could now fail a pre-departure PCR despite now being complete Covid free. We can take a 3-4 day isolation in a hotel - I'm booked for 6 weeks
snow conditions
@Saintsman,
I guess my point was, as you noted, the rules dont seem that clear for the latest update and I could easy see why the exemption might go away - as I understood it the lingering post-test PCR fail is a fairly rare thing?

Sadly, I think it might be academic.
Was skiing Whistler yesterday and it seems to have reverted to mostly pre-pandemic behavior. Very few people wearing masks except where rules require, full loading, busy lines (without last year's spacing), very lively bars (vax required, and largely outside, but still...)
Considering what's happening elsewhere, wondering how long until it all gets shut down again Sad
snow report
I think that the timescale may narrow a bit, but my understanding is that there's a near 50/50 chance that the missus or I will still be testing positive inside the timescales we're talking about here. It's far more common than people think inside the first couple of months post infection. Either way I need to be sure I am covered for this eventuality, but with the bonus that if we do get a positive we get to skip the on arrival test and isolation. The only real part to the rules being unclear is as to whether or not the NHS pass is sufficient with regards to that - I can find absolutely NOTHING, and my local test providers seem to not understand what I'm looking for.

As for the rest of it - vax rates are VERY high in BC in general and Whistler in particular, and while it may be the destination of choice for the unvaxed (choice as in their only option), firstly they have the challenge of actually getting there; made virtually impossible now that road access form the rest of Canada is now effectively impossible; and secondly their only real mixing point with everyone else is the gondola - for which I am still pretty pissed off with VR for their decision, and also BC Health for their justification which literally made as much sense as Donald Trump
snow conditions
I think the vax thing might actually contribute to the problem. Last year mostly everyone was super careful and for the most part we made it through the ski season, with apparently little transmission related to skiing directly. Strangely, having practices that worked seems to be the BC governments justification for not needing them now! Puzzled
This year it seems people have decided, they are invincible. I'm am vaccinated, but I'd still prefer not to test its efficacy, and I don't really want to find out how "mild" the "mild" version of covid is either!

It is very annoying as it seems we should have learnt from the things that worked and carried on with them even if they are marginally inconvenient.

[/rant]
ski holidays
Quote:

It is very annoying as it seems we should have learnt from the things that worked and carried on with them even if they are marginally inconvenient.

What are some of those things that are no longer practiced by the vaccinated?
snow report
abc wrote:
What are some of those things that are no longer practiced by the vaccinated?
His previous post lists them. :

stuarth wrote:
... Very few people wearing masks except where rules require, full loading, busy lines (without last year's spacing),
very lively bars (vax required, and largely outside, but still...) ... Sad
That's a shame. The stakes are pretty high for the resort operator: it's in their interests to remain open.

The travel / hospitality industry generally has been like that though - they have to be forced kicking and screaming
into any kind of safety measures at all. Making their services safe should be their priority, not pushing the risk onto
their customers. I guess that's why we need regulation.
snow report
You would think so, but they're operating as per regulations set out by Public Health BC
snow conditions
Well, mask when required is just right. The rules should reflect science. Indoors, close proximity. Why should anyone be required to wear mask when it's outdoors, or in well ventilated space? I mean, you can wear mask if you like. But it's not likely to make much difference.

Full loading of chair also doesn't matter, as it's really well ventilated. OK, gondola is a sticky point. But again, busy line is just a reality. How well spaced out can only be controlled to certain degree. Still, if it's outside, I can't seeing what the problem is. Not for the vaccinated anyway.

I don't see the problem as vaccinated people not behaving. It's really just the fact people are mixing! Families, friends, who during lockdown were not mixing, are mixing now. They're eating and entertaining together. They're traveling together, staying in the same hotel rooms. So when one person got it (kids not yet eligible for vacines), the whole family got it. Whilst during the lockdown, they're not in school and not spreading the virus.

I have a hard time seeing skiing being the problem. It's more likely the travel and entertaining during ski holiday is the problem. More precisely, the travel and entertaining of any sort are the issue. But what do you want to do, back to lockdown?
snow report
Gondola is the real problem in Whistler as I see it. Not requiring vaccination, requiring masks, but not being enforced/respected
snow conditions
Just had my booster as i suspect that will be a requirement..
So now its ..
1 rwgister with arrivCan
2 .test before departure
3. Teat on arrival and quarantine.
4. Test before leaving.
5. 2 day test including isolation till negative..
6.. anything else
ski holidays
yorkshirelad wrote:
Just had my booster as i suspect that will be a requirement..
So now its ..
1 rwgister with arrivCan
2 .test before departure
3. Teat on arrival and quarantine.
4. Test before leaving.
5. 2 day test including isolation till negative..
6.. anything else

It’s the possibility of 4a ‘find somewhere to quarantine for 2 weeks if test is positive’ that’s giving us a headache at the moment. We’re due to go in February but we are struggling with the thought of that possibility…
snow report
It is an unlikely situation to happen if your pre-departure PCR test comes back negative but, I don’t understand why the Canadian government did not simply reduce the time for the PCR test down to 24-48 hours rather than 72 instead of this situation which enforces an inconvenient isolation period. The first PCR test may as well be redundant, it certainly feels a waste of money now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy