Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2021/2022 (Dec 3 - April 24)

Poster: A snowHead
Heavy snowfall overnight. The app has not been refreshed, but a graphic on the Panorama Channel suggests ~30cm. Back to Av Risk 4.

Warm days coming up.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
did anyone hear were the Avi struck in Ischgl?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mcg wrote:
did anyone hear were the Avi struck in Ischgl?

Unteren Malfragkopf (2.654 m). Red dot on map.

https://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/europa/tirol-lawine-103.html

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Really poor vis first thing, but knee deep powder on groomed track on the he black run above Nasserein. Only two tracks in it when I went through first time, propper hero snow. Got a few laps in before it was too bumped.

Most lifts closed so longish cues as anyone out was concentrated around the same areas. Fun though. Hopefully more opens up tomorrow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
General weather trend for next 14 days is warmer weather ......
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What's the latest story with bars/restaurants/apres in St Anton ?

I presume most places are now staying open till the new curfew time of 12am but is there any places in St Anton, on or off the slopes that have live music yet ?

There are definitely bars in other resorts in Austria that have live music and think they can get away with it under the current rules so i thought there might be some low-key live music hiding away somewhere. I'm heading out there in a few weeks time and I know it's not going to be like a normal season but would be nice to have a few beers while listening to a bit of live music.

It seems like there are few snowheads out there at the moment so I'd be interesting what people have found out there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just came back yesterday from a long weekend.

Managed plenty of skiing and fun apres ski. No dancing and you have to be seated. Generally a good idea to book tables in advance where you are allowed to. So we booked a table for Basecamp. Moosewirt doesn't take bookings and we didn't bother with the queue. We got tables at the KK without booking or a long queue.

We did find live music though, at Underground on the Piste. This was with food (fondue). Booked a couple of weeks before we travelled out. Again we had to remain seated, but there was plenty of singing. It was the same keyboard player from when we there two years ago. It was wonderful to be back, but he might not be everybody's cup of tea.

Incredibly, my day 2 lateral flow test this morning was negative. I hope it stays that way.

Generally everyone is very diligent about wearing masks where it is required, and I only went on one lift with people not in my group (the cable car in Lech so not avoidable)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Truly epic conditions this morning after the dump of snow yesterday. Wish I had the skillz for more adventurous off piste but managed a black marked trail up Rendl which was truly awesome and best conditions I’ve ever skied in.
Afternoon things were getting heavy and tracked, tomorrow will get very warm by looks of it. But plenty of snow cover now for rest of season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kantha wrote:
Just came back yesterday from a long weekend.

Managed plenty of skiing and fun apres ski. No dancing and you have to be seated. Generally a good idea to book tables in advance where you are allowed to. So we booked a table for Basecamp. Moosewirt doesn't take bookings and we didn't bother with the queue. We got tables at the KK without booking or a long queue.

We did find live music though, at Underground on the Piste. This was with food (fondue). Booked a couple of weeks before we travelled out. Again we had to remain seated, but there was plenty of singing. It was the same keyboard player from when we there two years ago. It was wonderful to be back, but he might not be everybody's cup of tea.

Incredibly, my day 2 lateral flow test this morning was negative. I hope it stays that way.

Generally everyone is very diligent about wearing masks where it is required, and I only went on one lift with people not in my group (the cable car in Lech so not avoidable)

Thanks for the info, I expected that the Underground would be operating almost as normal. Good to hear the keyboard player (James Carter Stringfellow) is there too, I've seen him play lots of times. I'd prefer a bit of rock at the Griabli or Gunar in the Murmell but all music is welcome in these times !

Useful to know about the booking too. I'm surprised the Moose isn't taking bookings, they usually have some reserved tables in the upstairs area. I suppose everything is a bit different this year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We tried to get into Murmel on the first night but it wasn't possible without a reservation. That was the last night of the 10pm curfew, so it may get easier now.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone got a TT Plus log-in, i'd be interested to see which bar is on the naughty step....

https://www.tt.com/artikel/30812677/lage-eskaliert-video-von-party-in-st-anton-ohne-corona-disziplin-empoert
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Markymark29,

It's well known which one it is .. Very Happy

_________________________€€€

Kaiserwetter Heute !!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Norwegian Ole Martin Braathen (43y, real estate investor) died in this weekend avalanche in Albona/Knödelkopf;
With a German ski guide, and airbag was triggered, and found within minutes...
Pictures of the avalanche below:
https://www.diglogs.com/norway/real-estate-investor-ole-martin-braathen-died-in-an-avalanche-vg/
https://www.blick.ch/schweiz/zentralschweiz/am-knoedelkopf-berg-norwegischer-multi-millionaer-stirbt-in-oesterreichischer-lawine-id17215637.html
https://www.krone.at/2622872
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, it is indeed well known, Murrmel downstairs in the "disco" area, it is a bit hard to stop folk dancing in a disco! There is an increasing issue that the rules as they stand are less and less enforceable, especially with the rapidly improving situation. There is talk of closing some hotels (not in St Anton) which are refusing to comply with the regulations.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pctaylor wrote:
Truly epic conditions this morning after the dump of snow yesterday. Wish I had the skillz for more adventurous off piste but managed a black marked trail up Rendl which was truly awesome and best conditions I’ve ever skied in.
Afternoon things were getting heavy and tracked, tomorrow will get very warm by looks of it. But plenty of snow cover now for rest of season.

It was pretty good fun alright. I hadn’t been up rendl before. My usual MO is if I’m not sure where to go, up and lookers left. I was able to scope it from the bubble on the way up, could see the itinerary poles so I headed into that general area. Got three laps without having to work too hard not to cross tracks. Lovely creamy fresh snow. A few more laps with crossing tracks and then I chose to hit the kappal area, which was not a great choice. Good day all round though.

Bit warm today so did a long morning, finished up around 2. A few lengths of the outdoor pool and then I’ve rented a pair of skis for tomorrow.
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
Norwegian Ole Martin Braathen (43y, real estate investor) died in this weekend avalanche in Albona/Knödelkopf;
With a German ski guide, and airbag was triggered, and found within minutes...
Pictures of the avalanche below:
https://www.diglogs.com/norway/real-estate-investor-ole-martin-braathen-died-in-an-avalanche-vg/
https://www.blick.ch/schweiz/zentralschweiz/am-knoedelkopf-berg-norwegischer-multi-millionaer-stirbt-in-oesterreichischer-lawine-id17215637.html
https://www.krone.at/2622872

Ah sht, I saw (from the lift) the heli flying in there on Saturday but as I hadn't seen any further reporting thought it must have been a spontaneous release/no-one involved... Even from across the valley, it looked HUGE...
snow report
Top up of Snow tomorrow ...
ski holidays
Warm today. Fun though. Headed over to Lech from Nassersein via Zug. Discovered how poorly linked and how many flat areas there seemed to be. I know experience could avoid that, but really to go up one lift to then take an escalator and after that need a rope tow to get to the piste? Land the lift in the right place? Glad I wasn’t on a board today.

Excellent meal in the Q Asian fusion restaurant tonight (I’m not so sure why they included the word fusion though).
latest report
rogg wrote:
Headed over to Lech from Nassersein via Zug. Discovered how poorly linked and how many flat areas there seemed to be. I know experience could avoid that, but really to go up one lift to then take an escalator and after that need a rope tow to get to the piste? Land the lift in the right place? Glad I wasn’t on a board today.

You are obviously talking about the brand new Zugerbergbahn gondola, replacing a very old chairlift
You obviously need to do some deeper thinking!
And no, snowboarding is not a good reference point (snowboarding is for marketing, not for mountains)
snow report
@rogg, The rope tow at the top of the Zugerbergbahn is a bit of a pain but not sure any easy way to sort it without a lot of intrusive building work. As has been regularly noted if your main purpose is to get from St Anton to Lech to ski say to Warth you are better off getting the bus, same getting back to Zürs from Lech. However that misses out some majestic skiing, Madloch is one of the best parts of the Arlberg, not many runs like it elsewhere.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, we did Warth on 2 consecutive days: one via Madloch and the other via the bus from Zürs to Lech. Skiing was faster, but it does depend on when you arrive at Zürs. The buses run every 20 mins, so if you just miss one, then the bus will definitely be the slower option. The other wild card is the Oberlech gondola - on occasions you can wait 5+ mins before it takes off.

The Balmalp rope tow has been out of action more days than actually working.

Yesterday was another stunning day. Bluebird for the most part and cooler than the day before.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
@munich_irish, we did Warth on 2 consecutive days: one via Madloch and the other via the bus from Zürs to Lech. Skiing was faster, but it does depend on when you arrive at Zürs. The buses run every 20 mins, so if you just miss one, then the bus will definitely be the slower option. The other wild card is the Oberlech gondola - on occasions you can wait 5+ mins before it takes off.

That is a lot... 2 days, 4x downloading, busride and Bergbahn Oberlech....maybe you should consider accommodation in Lech? Laughing
Slight suggestion for next time: from Bergbahn Oberlech you can easily walk/glide along the river to the Schlegelkopf chair; no waiting and the pretty piste through the forest to Oberlech as bonus.
snow report
@Langerzug,
Quote:

And no, snowboarding is not a good reference point (snowboarding is for marketing, not for mountains)

Laughing reminds me of the time I was in St Anton and we straight-downed from top of Valfegehrbahn as normal to top of Happy Valley so we could slide along with minimal poling, snow-boarder that was with us came up wheezing about 5 minutes later and told me I don't make enough allowances for snowboarders in my route planning....that was a short conversation as I pointed him off the edge towards Arlenmaeder or Schindlergratbahn....wrong tools for the job, or alternatively head due west to France where they make endless motorways for boarders.
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

That is a lot... 2 days, 4x downloading, busride and Bergbahn Oberlech....maybe you should consider accommodation in Lech? Laughing
Slight suggestion for next time: from Bergbahn Oberlech you can easily walk/glide along the river to the Schlegelkopf chair; no waiting and the pretty piste through the forest to Oberlech as bonus.

You clearly don’t ski in the Arlberg, for if you did, you would know it takes 2 lifts from street level to get to the Auenfeldjet. As such, going back from the Oberlech Bergbahn to Schlegelkopf gets you nothing if heading to Warth, as we clearly were. Uninformed suggestion! Perhaps stick to reviews, or cut & pasting reviews, of restaurants.

No desire to stay in Lech. Many more choices on storm days in St Anton, eg spent today in the trees in Zwischen. Nothing comparable in Lech. Besides, why would we not stay with our friends in St Anton?
latest report
My dearest @ulmerhutte,
Why so aggressive, so sensitive?
Just because I'm teasing you a bit about the distance St.Anton-Warth?

I was suggesting taking Schlegelkopfbahn instead of Bergbahn Oberlech.
Schlegelkopfbahn+piste+Petersbodenbahn>Auenfeld is often quicker than Bergbahn Oberlech+Peterbodenbahn>Auenfeld, because the gondola has waiting-times, also due to it being used for all luggage-transport etc. to/from Oberlech.
And it is very short and easy to get from Bergbahn-talstation to Schlegelkopf-talstation, along the river, as I said in my earlier message.
But maybe you just didn't consider this an option, since you don't know Lech in detail....?
snow report
@Langerzug, maybe I did not consider it an option because there was a huge queue on Schlegelkopf yesterday.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, that's strange, seeing your first reaction, saying Schlegelkopf was never an realistic option....
snow report
Folks

More snow coming on Tuesday...unclear how much ..myy guess is bootdust ...

Thursday .. Will be more but warm & rain downtown ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/Sui_ZEKX_Ag

Last Week (4 Feb) an Avalanche took a Highly Experienced Guide, a Local & the Co Founder of a Major Ski School (Green Suits) here..... Sad
ski holidays
After 5 glorious weeks of relative quiet and peace, the Arlberg back in full peak mode today. Paradoxically, the lift queues were generally not too bad, but the pistes were another story. Steissbachtal, in particular, was an ant’s nest exploded this afternoon.

The day carparks in StA, Zürs, and Salober were full. I believe the Tirol and Vorarlberg school holidays just started. That, plus a sunny Sunday, probably explains the return to peak numbers.

The north-facing off piste still holds good snow in places, but anything easy to access has been tracked out. Obviously!

BTW: the stupidity of covid measures: Exhibit 1: hand sanitiser on the entrance to lift loading. Are we supposed to sanitise our gloves or take off our gloves and do our hands? Stupid! Exhibit 2: at Valfagehr, 2 of the 4 entry gates are blocked off, and there are ropes in place to channel everyone into 2 gates. Result: everyone squashes into the 2 lanes, and reforms into groups after the gates. What has that achieved? Not the dreaded “social distancing”. Pure theatre.
ski holidays
Yeah I noticed those 2 closed lanes also when I was there. Totally pointless and no other lifts have that in place so no idea why that one does. Almost as pointless as having to wear masks on chairlifts Eh oh!
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, 2 lanes... not seen that anywhere else. Rules is rules, but this ain't any rule I've heard about
ski holidays
Anyone know when an announcement could be lowering the Covid rules regarding Après-ski bars?
snow report
@ianvip, the restaurant closing time was extended to midnight on 5 Feb. I have not heard anything around here (St Anton) about changes to apres rules. Latest official info at https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information

BTW: powder day today. Not that deep, but great fun, especially in the trees. Alas, the forecast for the next 3 days is not encouraging.
snow report
@ianvip, there is a meeting at Federal level tomorrow to discuss further relaxations but I doubt that is going to include clubs & apres ski but you might be lucky. There is a general feeling around that the various restrictions will be lifted by the end March but not sure that means any proper "apres" this season.
ski holidays
Many thanks for the responses.

Coming to St Anton 28th Feb for 5 days. Do the same trip every year. Full days skiing, end up in the KK/Moose then base camp and bed. Must get some dinner at some point.

I guess it’s going to be somewhat different this year then.
KK seems open from Social Media but can not see what is going on there. Is it just restaurant?

At least snow looking good and majority of people are healthy
ski holidays
@ianvip, I think you will find a place or 2 to enjoy a beer and music, as long as you are not set on dancing to Sweet Caroline on the table. All the usual suspects are open, but only for seated drinking - as far as I have seen.

Snow has been pretty damn good. Not up to the epic years, like 2018, but more like an “average” year. The last 5 weeks have seen many more than usual bluebird days and none of the dreaded “R” word. The forecast for the next 3 days could be better, but…
snow conditions
Apres Ski (traditional sense)

Its a Non Starter this season ...

But

Since the begining of January the KK (for example) has been fully booked everyday...(Terrace & Inside) from 15:00hrs (approx 300 people)

It is SEATED ONLY.... No Bar Service .

Yes you have to Reserve otherwise NO ENTRY . Anyone who is late (even 2 minutes) the table is given away ...

It goes on until 20:00hrs

Mooserwirt.... Is first come basis ....

Long lines to get in ..

ALL Covid Passes are checked on Entry..

Police have visited both Places & Others a Number of times so far during the Season checking compliance..

___________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Currently Snowing ....More tonight & tomorrow....

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update...

All Covid restrictions being lifted March 5th...

There are some caveats......
ski holidays
From TT

From Saturday 05.03

Quote:
All 2G and 3G rules will be lifted. Gastronomy, hotels and the like can be visited by everyone again in the future - and without any proof, a test is no longer necessary. In highly vulnerable areas (retirement and nursing homes as well as hospitals), the 3G rule for employees and visitors remains in place.

The curfew also falls, the night gastronomy is allowed to open again. Events can take place again without any restrictions on people and the ban on consumption is lifted.

The FFP2 mask requirement remains in place in some areas: An FFP2 mask must still be worn on public transport and bus stops, in essential shops (pharmacies, food retail, banks, post offices, etc.), as well as in old people’s homes and hospitals. Otherwise, a "recommendation" for the FFP2 mask applies to closed rooms.

3G applies as a general rule when entering the country from all countries, except from virus variant areas.

I would say this means apres ski is back from then but will have to wait for details
snow conditions

This shot was taken today two years ago! Not been back since (was due to arrive on the afternoon everything closed). Was going to be back this weekend but have had to postpone for a week due to work commitments, hope to back again early March too when life should be back to something approaching normality Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy