Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2021/2022 (Dec 3 - April 24)

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for tuning into last season .... Sadly a non event ...

Lets Hope for Healthy & Full On Season 2021/2022 of Sliding...

We dont know what will happen regarding Tourism , no one knows ..They thought they were prepared last season but alas it did not happen as it should of...

The Mountains will not change but we already know that sideshows like Apres Ski with large crowds & loud music etc are very unlikely this season.....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 11-05-21 10:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Anton does not the whole Arlberg make. Lifts still going Lech/Zürs, Warth, Sonnenkopf...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And Lech-Zürs are showing confidence for the nearby future.
Today confirmed: new Madloch 6-seater and Zugerberg 10-gondola will be constructed this coming summer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have moved our 2021 reservation in Lech to the same week in 2022. We were lucky last year as we managed to get away before lockdown arrived. I always remember seeing two people at Manchester Airport wearing masks and thinking that was overkill - little did we know.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Replacement/Upgrades Lifts these were all planned and financed.

Zugerbergbahn base station Forest Clearance & Foundations started last May and constructed during last Summer..

Madlochbahn was always scheduled to be replaced this summer.. They said in season 2018/2019 it would be replaced Summer 2021 to coincide with the upgraded capacity lift (New Gondola) in Zug.

The ones to watch is the long awaited replacements which may be affected by Financial impact of last season ..

In Planung: Albonabahn I
6er Hochgeschwindigkeits-Sesselbahn (kuppelbar) mit Abdeckhauben
Länge: 1354 m · Beförderungskapazität/h: 2400

In Planung: Schlosskopfbahn
6er Hochgeschwindigkeits-Sesselbahn (kuppelbar) mit Abdeckhauben und Sitzheizung
Länge: 1414 m · Beförderungskapazität/h: 2400

In Planung: Rotschrofenbahn
6er Hochgeschwindigkeits-Sesselbahn (kuppelbar) mit Abdeckhauben und Sitzheizung
Länge: 1300 m · Beförderungskapazität/h: 2400

St Anton

Renewal/Upgrade and new Alignment of Zammermoosbahn

Replacement of Schöngrabenlift (T Bar) to Chairlift

Replacement/Upgade and new Alignment of Mattunbahn
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stanton,
Wrong!
Madlochbahn and Zugerberg were put on hold due to Covid. It definitely is news they are now announcing to through with it this summer.
The other lifts you are mentioning is just citing hopeless Skiresort.de ; and not to be expected any time soon, even before/without Covid.
Boring! Stop trying to be Mister Know-it-all. You’re not.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What is the proposed re-alignment of the Zammermoosbahn?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Langerzug,

You stick to what your good at i.e what's on the à la carte at the High Maintenance Hotels in Oberlech that is where you spend your 3 hour leisurely lunches .....

We talked about the New Lifts back in 2018 ....

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3181898&highlight=madlochbahn#3181898

You questioned me on the removal of trees..... well guess what they removed hundreds last summer !!!

I was right on this and the original plan .....

Im not going to argu anymore....

I read all the planning applications & protocol ordinances.. These are very long and time consuming to pick out the relevant info
and translate for this forum..

I have posted some of these ordinances in previous seasons but it leads onto endless follow up questions....

So I have used Skiresort.de in recent seasons as they condense the info to easily understandable format ... I just C&P why not if it is correct ...

So you just carry on hanging out at the Lunch Terraces in Oberlech but you should upgrade your network/connections if you want to known as a credible/reliable source Very Happy Very Happy

Actually a suggestion... Could you investigate the Zug - Madloch Lift connection you were promoting & report back with the current UVP? Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidthornton, It is due to be moved sometime (probably now delayed), current bottom station of ZMB sits on a geological fault and is moving slightly every year. The plan is to move it to where the old drag station was 500m further down on left, that's why the piste was widened 2 years ago, and the services put in to the new depart station. It goes up the gap in the trees formed for the old drag lift (taken out c.15 years ago), used to love that lift.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Markymark29, thanks. I remember the old drag through the trees, not so fondly though, it was so looong! I'd say it was replaced more than 15 years ago, much more from memory - 25 years ago?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zammermoosbahn chair dates from 1990, according to https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/st-antonst-christophstubenlechzuerswarthschroecken-ski-arlberg/ski-lifts/l256/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does that say Albonabahn I will be replaced with a 6 man chair with a cover? Would make first lift up from Stuben a lot more pleasant!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, indeed. Get the elevator down from the Hubertushof and Bob's your uncle Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boabski, indeed!! Hopefully can get there next season!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidthornton wrote:
@Markymark29, thanks. I remember the old drag through the trees, not so fondly though, it was so looong! I'd say it was replaced more than 15 years ago, much more from memory - 25 years ago?

That lift, whose name started with “Feld….” (unpronounceable!) was replaced sometime after 2002, which was the first year we went to StA. I remember riding it with some concern: falling off in the narrow forested section would not have been happiness!

The old lift line is now a great run when the snow is right. Had some great times there in 2019, when blizzards / storms closed the lifts on top of the Galzig (several times!), leaving only the Galzigbahn and Zammermoos running. Wild at the top, but once you dropped into Osthang Einfahrt, and then into the trees, there was some amazing skiing to be had - and virtually no one else out. Happy times.
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, longer ago than i thought......I found an old piste map the other day from 90’s loads of surprises on there, was amazing back then.
ski holidays
I have a vague recollection that the Feldherrenhuegel (yes, I found the spelling!) t-bar was given up, as a trade-off, to get approval to replace the Galzigbahn with the lift that is there now. The new Galzigbahn was installed in 2006.

Found this image of an old piste map. Things have certainly changed…

snow conditions
If you like the old ski maps see skimap.org they have one in their listings from 1955, it's belter. Interesting is when one looks at the older piste maps how they used to indicate all the off piste runs , gradually they have nearly all been removed.

Yes Feldherrnlittlehill went when they built galzig, 2006. What a joy that was on a snowboard Very Happy

Zammer was originally built in 1982 as a 2 seater, replaced 1990 and is due to be moved hence the widening of the piste a few years ago.
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
I have a vague recollection that the Feldherrenhuegel (yes, I found the spelling!) t-bar was given up, as a trade-off, to get approval to replace the Galzigbahn with the lift that is there now. The new Galzigbahn was installed in 2006.

Found this image of an old piste map. Things have certainly changed…

I'm getting the feeling that time does something to the memory. AS I remember the
snow conditions
Sorry, glitch. I'll finish - As I remember, the old T bar went long long before the Galzigbahn was upgraded in the 2000s. I think that it went when the Zammermoosbahn was opened in 1990 and was never replaced. Agree that the offpiste down the gulleys there are good.
ski holidays
@hsdee, thanks for the info on old ski maps.
ski holidays
Hi, @davidthornton, definitely not… we started skiing in StA in 2002 and the t-bar was there then. It was removed around 2006, and then a few years later the former Piste 1 was widened into a superhighway in the area below the old load for the t-bar. It originally split into 2 at that point and could be “interesting” by the end of the day.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, Are we talking about the same t-bar? The one I think I remember finished up on Galzig, going up through the trees (Feldherrnhugel) starting downhill from the present Zammermoosbahn base station. Don't remember it being there into the 2000s. Puzzled
ski holidays
@davidthornton, I think we are. It started a few(?) hundred metres down from Zammermoosbahn, along Piste 1. When it emerged from the tree line, the t-bar line ran parallel to Osthangbahn, to the right of it looking up. I don’t have a good memory of the unload point, but it was well up on Galzig, but possibly not as high as the Osthangbahn unload.
snow report
Feldherrenhügel-Schlepplift was removed because the people planners wanted the new Galzigbahn capacity to be fully utilised .. i.e people descending all the way to the Valley

https://www.logistik-express.com/siemens-technik-fuer-neue-galzigbahn-in-st-anton-am-arlberg/

It was tragic when it was removed .... Shocked Shocked

People planners did the same thing when the new higher capacity Rendlbahn was constructed they removed

Tobel -Schlepplift

Shifting people down to the Valley ...

Another tragic mistake.

The Best thing Ski Areas can do now ..... is remove Chairs and replace with Schlepplift (Surface lifts/T-bars etc)....

Get back to some basics and fundamentals of winter sport ...and hopefully it also will greatly reduce the price of Lift Tickets.....

Why do they invest so much on Chairlifts systems when an inexpensive Surface Lift can do the same job...

Chairlifts = Sleeping Leg Syndrome = Accidents/Injuries

Ski Touring boom has gone crazy this season ....equipment retailers outselling any other form of Ski Kit ....

But be careful if considering this ...it is not a lazy day on the carpet

Stop The Brutal Grooming
ski holidays
Nonsense. Feldherrnhügellift was hardly used as far back as 1992. My first year in St.Anton.
Whilst the relief was immense when Osthang became a 4-chair. Queues could be terrible at that towlift.
Same for the -indeed- historic Galzigbahn. Queues were historic too.
snow report
Galzigbahn base station, the queue, 9-10am, back in the 80s was a good hour and more, horrendous. Meanwhile Rendlbahn was waiting for customers! As mentioned Ostangbahn queuing was also bad, also bad was the Vallugabahn. Then there was the funicular up Gampen, you'd be lucky to be skiing by late morning in St. Anton back then.
I gave up and went to France for the 90s.
@stanton, the problem with surface lifts is their limited capacity compared to the likes of 6/8 seater chairs.
ski holidays
Yup, the queue on the old Galzigbahn was often enormous, ie down the stairs and mushrooming way out into the street. Lots of pushing and shoving, especially near the stairs.

That was actually true of many queues in StA at that time, ie some people were really quite aggressive and shameless in pushing past people ahead of them, even skiing over their skis. That behaviour is not nearly so evident these days, maybe because the queues are now not so bad. Even on restricted lift mornings, with the resultant big queues on Galzigbahn, Gampenbahn, and N’Bahn, most people seem to be quite mellow and polite.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ulmerhutte, as long as a queue is moving, and end is in acceptable view, people are fine with it.
Old Galzigbahn had none of that Eh oh! Those stairs!
snow report
Another people planning disaster

Tanzböden Schlepplift removal and conversion into an automatic luxury heated chair monster Shocked

Tourists nowadays are spending more time sitting on their asses than making turns ........

The long lines at the old Galzigbahn were nothing compared to the old St Christophbahn ....

In the 80's after training and a long Apres Ski the quickest way back to St Anton was last 16:00hrs Maiensee 1 Schlepplift then old skiroute back to Moss....

Others who returned by Christophbahn would show up in the Moose (altes Hütte) 1-2 hours later Smile Smile

One of the easiest Cable Cars to jump on without queues was the old Mohnenfluh Seilbahn in Lech.....

@davidthornton, Surface lifts are fast & cheap ....If you fall off off or get pushed off for fun which we used to do with each other on the Valluga Schlepplift , It was the quickest way to learn & perfect your recovery off piste technique/skills.... Very Happy Very Happy

If you ever tried the Roca Jack lift in Portillo (look it up) its fun ..
snow report
Hey Folks

If you scoot over here to a post on the German Forum the Lift Company is proudly displaying an example of the new Zügerbergbahn Gondola cabin....

They tend to do this before off season construction begins on major projects ....

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=6225#p5317859
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/TYGl7s_42dg?t=947

Was just watching this documentary on early aerial tramways and found they have a little section at 15min45 for about 3 minutes of the construction of original Galzigbahn, some fantastic stills and also some footage of the pre 2006 galzigbahn with a panorama across the piste taking in among other things the old fernherrhugel (as discussed above hence this post), tanzboden drag. Enjoy.
snow report
@hsdee, Thanks for posting that.
ski holidays
@stanton,
Quote:
Ski Touring boom has gone crazy this season ....equipment retailers outselling any other form of Ski Kit ....

But be careful if considering this ...it is not a lazy day on the carpet
Really? You mean it's actually hard work walking up and skiing off piste? Who woulda thunk it?
snow report
davidthornton wrote:
@hsdee, Thanks for posting that.

You're welcome, So here is a little trivia fact of the day that might only appeal to the history buffs that I learned in that segment - the station buildings were designed by Clemens Holzmeister.

Now he was the Tyrolian architect, who also designed the extension of Hotel Post (1927) - the big triangular roof (tallest building in St Anton apparently), he also did the second tower on the church (1932) and was once in architecture practice with Luis Trenker who later would become a film star appearing with Hannes and Leni in some of the Fanck Bergfilms. Small world.
latest report
Lech

Fifty Shades of Grey Erotik Concept Hotel coming to Lech this Summer

Only in Summer but who knows if its a major success

https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3095439/

https://www.monzabon.at/liebeshotel-oesterreich

Think this could really take off !!

Adult/Swinger Hotels are not a new concept in Austria

https://www.salzburg24.at/archiv/swinger-reisen-in-obertauern-ski-meets-sex-45043615/amp

https://www.hotel-gams.at/
_______________________________________________________________________________________________--

Zugerbergbahn

Yesterday was the last day of operation for the old 2 seat chairlift ...

Another enclosed chunk of unbreathable Metal (hangin jail cells) gets installed this summer to replace the old perfect airco lift Shocked Shocked

snow conditions
For all you Arlberg Hospiz Alm fans

Expansion of the Wine Keller will be built...and will be ready December 2021

https://www.nikos-weinwelten.de/beitrag/arlberg_hospiz_st_christoph_adi_werner_zum_85/
snow report
Folks

For you lift riders ....

More fotos over here

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=6250#p5322165
snow conditions
It's a great shame that, another place to have to remove skis and sit inside a bubble, rather than being out in the fresh air and nature.

I'd love one of those chairs for my garden if anyone knows how to get hold of one?
ski holidays
@Markymark29, agree that was always a lovely peaceful lift, passing over streams in spring!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy