Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2021/2022 (Dec 3 - April 24)

Poster: A snowHead
Wonder if Joan will be back this winter!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hotels in Lech will open coming sunday! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a nice update from Andy Butterworth in St Anton in our Resort Reports Special
https://audioboom.com/posts/7991317-a-ski-podcast-special-latest-snow-news-from-around-the-alps
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anybody around in St Anton next week? (from 13 Dec).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey Folks

Was intense POW today.Happy

Be very careful out there Galzig Snowpak is unstable (unusual) ... There doing what they can to stabilise

Down valley in Landeck there has been a full Slide with a very young fatality ..

https://www.tt.com/artikel/30808100/sechs-jugendliche-am-venet-von-lawine-erfasst-14-jaehriger-tot

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Give it up For Freedom of Choice..

http://youtube.com/v/SwA6c-EDdkM

Avi is Very High 4/5

Next week it will be warming up so the snow will pak down .

There is enough natural SNOW here now for the Whole Season..
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:

stanton will be.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richjp wrote:
DB wrote:

stanton will be.

I doubt it. He just tries to make it look like he‘s in St Anton. I‘ve offered to meet him in the past for skiing or ski-touring numerous times. It‘s the only time he shuts up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DB, he's too important to ski with the likes of us. Try to understand.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steilhang wrote:
@DB, he's too important to ski with the likes of us. Try to understand.

Either that or he‘s just a sad old Dutch bloke trying to get attention from people he will never have the balls to meet on the internet. Pretty sad really.

The avalanche situation does look tricky
https://lawinen.report/bulletin/latest
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice to see some green on the live map today, finally.

Stop the brutal skinning!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good to see skiers out again. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Back in Basel..

mini heatwave began lastnight....

I think can expect +6-10C today ..

As I passed through Zurich yesterday afternoon I saw 100's of Wintersporters (fresh from the airport) boarding the Rail jet for Austria all carrying mountains of luggage bags ,skis, boots etc

Seem like very hard work..quite funny to watch Happy Happy ..does anyone tell them this can all be rented ??

Have fun this week ...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:

I doubt it. He just tries to make it look like he‘s in St Anton. I‘ve offered to meet him in the past for skiing or ski-touring numerous times. It‘s the only time he shuts up.

that's my guess also. It's just general info what anyone can dig up with a little bit of googling
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The highest point in the Netherlands is 323m but surprisingly you can‘t see the Valluga @ St Anton from there.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stanton, Good point on the rented stuff. I stopped taking my skis years ago, I've got at least three pairs languishing in the garage. Handy for the very occasional snowfall at home that's all. I just take a case and boot bag. Why lug ski/board bags on and off trains, in and out of airports, after having paid the airlines for the inconvenience.
The group from the U.K., who I ski with, insist on taking their skis. I see them struggling on trains trying to store them, by which time we're passing Langen and they are panicking to get to the exit door. One trip a guy didn't make the door in time and ended up in Innsbruck.
Years ago rented stuff was usually poor quality, but now you can rent the best, one day powder, one day piste, whatever.
Yes, it is costly, but ski ownership is also.
latest report
@davidthornton, yeah, nah! Happy

We go for 2 months. Hiring premium skis for that period would probably cost close to the purchase price. As for boots… mine have been worked heavily to comfortably accommodate my odd-shaped feet. I could not imagine just jumping into hire boots.
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, agree on boots, always take my own.
ski holidays
+2

Having properly fitted own boots is essential.
snow conditions
Just so the priority is clear:

1. I'm taking my own boots.
2. What is the destination?
snow report
St Anton, of course.

[img][/img]
snow report
We are having a good start to the season here just over the border in the Vorarlberg..snow conditions are good in the (limited) open parts of Silvretta Montafon & also in Golm & Gargellen (covered by the same ski pass)…the weather has been changeable - only to be expected for November/December.
ski holidays
It looks like the Arlberg lift companies are setting up to sell tickets online: https://www.skiarlberg.at/en/Ski-Arlberg/Ski-tickets/Webshop Currently none available, which I assume means they are not yet ready.

The question though is: what is the benefit to the customer? It is not clear to me. It seems that you still need to go to a ticket office to pick up your pass if you don't already have the plastic card, and also to validate your 2G status. Some of the website pages mention online 2G validation but I did not find any links to such functionality. Finally, there is no discount for online purchase (though I did not expect one!). In the end, what's the benefit, or is this still work in progress?
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, There was chat locally yesterday about the St Anton online validation (it's on some of the season passes, but not covered by the main 2G validation link, so you have to do it separately). The conclusion was that it's not currently working properly, and you need to go to the Kassa with your corona pass. They may have fixed it by the time you come over. I guess if you already have a card, you can top it up and validate it online, and then not have to queue.
snow report
Fwiw validation of Montafon Skipasses is done at a separate counter …they are valid for 270 days after the last vaccination (including boosters)..eg in my case I had a booster at the end of last month, so my “Jahreskarte” is valid until end of August next year..this is registered on the system and automatically blocks the passes once the 270 days expires. Online validation is not possible here: I have also heard reports that the online validation in Arlberg is not working & the procedure is effectively the same as here in Montafon.
snow report
Don't want to send alarm bells off

But be aware

5th Lockdown talks in Vienna are very 8 Serious

In early January 2022

If you do not speak or understand German. .learn it fast...it may save you a lot of money
latest report
stanton wrote:

If you do not speak or understand German. .learn it fast...it may save you a lot of money

du solltest deinen eigenen Rat befolgen.
ski holidays
Quote:

Sure, it's good to speak the local language, but it's not essential. St Anton has a rich history of English speaking tourism. Not only does virtually every local speak English they welcome English speakers and 99% of the time they find it easier to speak English than let well meaning foreigners try and speak German.

If you want up-to-date official advice in English then this site is very clear: https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information, and the UK site also seems useful https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/austria/entry-requirements. It seems more reliable than individual tourist offices or using Google to translate the Tiroler Tageszeitung. And anything is more reliable than relying on internet forums Shocked

Edit: another handy link for Brits found on another thread https://cms.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/
latest report
@sah, BS and ridiculou . Have some respect for the nation's language.

Still very uncertain what's will happen in the New Year....

There is National Press conference scheduled 7/8th Jan (I forget which day) but things(new restrictions) may well happen before then..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, on "per du" terms with @stanton, Very Happy
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@DB, on "per du" terms with @stanton, Very Happy

Very Happy It‘s more a reflection of his mental age (childlike) than him being a good buddy.
latest report
@Stanton

dem Bibel nach, „Warum siehst du den Splitter im Auge deines Bruders, aber den Balken in deinem Auge bemerkst du nicht?

dh in Klartext

Sie brauchen selbst dringend Ihr zweitklassiges englisch Erkenntnis zu verbessern, bevor Sie andere wegen ihrer fremdsprachigen Fähigkeit kritisieren.
latest report
@ Stanton

Happy to translate my reply into English, if the German is too difficult for you.
snow conditions
@ Stanton

Happy to translate my reply into English, if the German is too difficult for you.
latest report
Forums, whatever the interest, are excellent for the exchange of information and news. A common problem is that sometimes they become a place to exchange insults.
snow conditions
@davidthornton, i guess it's a matter of finance and personal priorities.
For instance, I usually go for week long trips 5 times each year. Renting skis in Austria and CH is expensive while ski carriage with Lufthansa group is free.
I agree, it's heavy and cumbersome plus they need to be properly serviced but knowing them well, I enjoy them a lot.
latest report
@drporat, Yep, go with that. When I did use my own skis I usually left them at my gasthaus for the returning season. Didn't seem to be much point in returning with them to U.K. to dump them in the garage until the next Winter.
But each to his or her own.
latest report
Perfekt Winter conditions

Cold air blasted in today.... Clear Blue Skies & Sun...

____________________________________________________________-

Could be a mass exodus of Eastern/Balkan Workers in Austria on February 1st ..

These people work in all sektors (Hospitality)..even drive the Ski Busses...

Ski Areas cannot operate without them ....
latest report
Nice day in Ischgl too....
snow conditions
stanton wrote:

Could be a mass exodus of Eastern/Balkan Workers in Austria on February 1st ..

These people work in all sektors (Hospitality)..even drive the Ski Busses...

Ski Areas cannot operate without them ....

Taxi drivers too I guess
snow report
Another sunny day in Ischgl. Did the bronze Smugglers route, as we were a little slow out of the gates this am. No queue anywhere. Free wifi in all three big lifts, clean and easy to use facilities.... Not missing Tignes at all. Pistes are all in good condition, quite a bit of snow blowing, so some nice powder patches! Got asked for ID in Samoen (ch) along with our COVID details, when getting a drink. Might stretch to the silver route tomorrow, but not all lifts open, so no gold route. And no off piste too, the snow cover is very thin.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy