Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorm Funicular to be Repaired

Poster: A snowHead
Worrying that the document mentions winter 21/22, is there any guarantee that the charade will finish and skiing access to the summit will be available in season 22/23
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ll save you the bother of worrying. No.
Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It sounds as if the more work that is done, the more problems are found and that there isn’t at this point a final design solution to all the issues with the Funicular viaduct. From the extremely heavily redacted document and what was said at the Aviemore and Glenmore Community Trust AGM last month, it seems a decision on proceeding with the required renewal of the funicular safety and control system will only be taken once the viaduct strengthening works are signed off.

The chances of it running next season are slim and slim is preparing to leave the building! rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glencoe putting their chairs on the cable today. Cool

https://www.facebook.com/111429118884878/posts/5835911816436551/?d=n

It may be the case that the new plateau chair is the 17th and last snowsports chairlift in Scotland ? If it meets demand on the busy days I carnt see the Cliffy needing to be replaced now.

The new Plateau triple is great news for Scottish skiing fans and comes as a particular high point in a long spell of positive projects there. Cool

Perhaps the only significant improvement remaining on the hill is the extension of the plateau cafe which might increase revenue on busy days ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter S wrote:
Glencoe putting their chairs on the cable today. Cool

https://www.facebook.com/111429118884878/posts/5835911816436551/?d=n

It may be the case that the new plateau chair is the 17th and last snowsports chairlift in Scotland ? If it meets demand on the busy days I carnt see the Cliffy needing to be replaced now.

I'm not certain, but hasn't Glenshee got plans for a new chairlift?

Peter S wrote:

The new Plateau triple is great news for Scottish skiing fans and comes as a particular high point in a long spell of positive projects there. Cool

Agreed, the new base station cafe to replace the old one burnt down in the unfortunate fire is a good addition.

If only the powers that be running Cairngorm had half the wisdom and competence of those running Glencoe and the other Scottish ski areas then the ongoing fiasco at Cairngorm would be very different.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Permission to replace the cairnwell tbar with a 4 person chair will probably have expired several years ago. I suspect the money and any grant support for that was diverted into their new snow factory. I also wonder whether there would be demand these days for more uplift capacity at Glenshee?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter S wrote:

Perhaps the only significant improvement remaining on the hill is the extension of the plateau cafe which might increase revenue on busy days ?

That is why they built the road Wink
Longer term plan was to use the road to help build the new chairlift and a cafe.
Building a road cost them same as getting in a heli to construct the chairlift.

Apparently new cafe will eventually be located at top of the new Rannoch Chair
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter S wrote:
I also wonder whether there would be demand these days for more uplift capacity at Glenshee?

That depends : If they get snow there is huge demand for skiing at Glenshee.
While they don't get a long season they can attract 20K punters a day when all the lifts out to Glas Maol are spinning.

Just a shame their last decent winter (2021) was under complete covid lockdown.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wee video on the Glencoe Facebook!

https://fb.watch/dHiZoFPwCN/

snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Haggis_Trap,
Quote:

Apparently new cafe will eventually be located at top of the new Rannoch Chair

That’s an interesting idea. It would move the cafe up the hill another 300 feet to 2600’. It would centre skiers in an area with more options, more reliable snow, and better views as well as increase demand to use the new chair. Clever. Very Happy

When it’s too windy to run the chair it will be a bit further to walk for sledgers but skiers can get close via the Poma or by skiing down from the wall tbar.

I wonder if the idea is to use the new space created underneath the chairlift get-off ramp?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@haggishunter, excellent! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/news/scottish-government-to-make-further-funds-available-to-cover-282409/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
Looks like the Scottish Government have agreed the £20m plus to pay for the repairs. That will take the total cost of the funicular to nearly £50m. Once fixed it is expected to require a further £2.54m per year to subsidise its operation.

I seem to recall that the entire Nevis Range ski area was built for £10m in 1989.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scottish Daily Express reports HIE have put out a tender for conveyor belt uplift

The report is confusing at best, at one point it says the conveyor belt will be located at the learners area (which makes sense), then it goes on to say it could be used as a temporary alternative "if the funicular breaks down again" Laughing How's that meant to work then, the funicular (if it does actually ever operate again) goes a long way up the mountain to the Ptarmigan restaurant (or whatever their brilliant marketing people call it now, wasn't it renamed "1097"? rolling eyes ), I can't see a conveyor belt system going anywhere near that distance. Even if they're just talking about linking it to the cas and M1 lifts it would still need to go as high as the top of the car park T-bar, which is still a very long way for a conveyor belt magic carpet.... Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Scottish Daily Express reports HIE have put out a tender for conveyor belt uplift

The report is confusing at best, at one point it says the conveyor belt will be located at the learners area (which makes sense), then it goes on to say it could be used as a temporary alternative "if the funicular breaks down again" Laughing How's that meant to work then, the funicular (if it does actually ever operate again) goes a long way up the mountain to the Ptarmigan restaurant (or whatever their brilliant marketing people call it now, wasn't it renamed "1097"? rolling eyes ), I can't see a conveyor belt system going anywhere near that distance. Even if they're just talking about linking it to the cas and M1 lifts it would still need to go as high as the top of the car park T-bar, which is still a very long way for a conveyor belt magic carpet.... Puzzled

The report is boll***s based on a HIE press a release that was probably boll***s. Really ambitious magic carpet?? Well, yes a magic carpet that went to the Ptarmigan would certainly be ambitious, hell even one to the to of the Carpark T-bar would be ambitious. But alas no, the combined length of the two magic carpets will be slightly under 180m.

Basically the genesis at CML have came up with this incredible wheeze that they could have a combined beginner ski and beginner mountain bike zone. What they seem to have overlooked is that while first time skiers come as absolute beginners, you don’t go to a mountain bike park to learn to ride a bike for the first time!

It’s also pretty unbelievable that HIE’s blackmail of ScotGov has been successful again, which basically with the help of list Tory MSPs went along the lines of we’re going to fix the funicular whatever it takes / costs, so either give us more money or we’ll make the rest of the Highlands suffer by pulling funding from the rest of the HIE area and pouring it all into CairnGorm Mountain.

Unless an external party is going to come in bringing a 9 figure sum to the table, any rational assessment now has to be not £1 more and close down the CML business, commence dismantling the funicular.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On a slight side note does anyone know why the lecht have announced that their chairlift is out of use until further notice
snow report
@kb36, no but messaged them last Friday to get more info on mtb uplift tickets and they said it should be running all weekend weather permitting, so must be something unexpected... glad we didn't make it on Sunday after all or we could have spent the day stuck on a broken chair Shocked
snow report
haggishunter wrote:
Unless an external party is going to come in bringing a 9 figure sum to the table, any rational assessment now has to be not £1 more and close down the CML business, commence dismantling the funicular.

As I have said, it needs to stand on its own feet or scrap it.

haggishunter wrote:
It’s also pretty unbelievable that HIE’s blackmail of ScotGov has been successful again, which basically with the help of list Tory MSPs went along the lines of we’re going to fix the funicular whatever it takes / costs, so either give us more money or we’ll make the rest of the Highlands suffer by pulling funding from the rest of the HIE area and pouring it all into CairnGorm Mountain.

Whats the story on this?
snow conditions
ster wrote:

As I have said, it needs to stand on its own feet or scrap it.

Most Scottish skiers would tend to agree with you there...
I used to be jealous of the public money spent on Cairngorm ski area compared to other areas.
However they used that public subsidy to focus on trainset + cafe (rather than a ski area & year round sports).

The problem is that removing the funicular now means:
1) The end of skiing on Cairngorm.
2) HIE admitting their previous mistakes.

haggishunter wrote:
It’s also pretty unbelievable that HIE’s blackmail of ScotGov has been successful again

ster wrote:
Whats the story on this?

Basically HIE threatened Scot Gov that unless further funding was provided the money for repair would need to come from their annual budget impacting the region disproportionately. There is no easy answer - however Holyrood has had wool pulled over its eyes. Even once repaired the funicular will require ongoing annual subsidy as unlike Aonach Mor gondola it is no use for hiking / biking / year round summer trade.
snow conditions
My own recipe for easily improved skiing is the Braveheart lift to be open more often at Aonach More.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
My own recipe for easily improved skiing is the Braveheart lift to be open more often at Aonach More.

Yup.

Sadly that is another story : If rumour to be believed neither braveheart or warrens likely to run anytime soon. The common theme with Cairngorm being HIE influence....
ski holidays
Quote:
The funicular...is no use for hiking / biking / year round summer trade
The year-round coffee and cake hunters and railway enthusiasts who visit Cairngorm specially to ride it seem to suggest otherwise. For instance, there always seemed to be a fair number of them whenever I used the train in ski seasons that extended into April and May.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
The funicular...is no use for hiking / biking / year round summer trade
The year-round coffee and cake hunters and railway enthusiasts who visit Cairngorm specially to ride it seem to suggest otherwise. For instance, there always seemed to be a fair number of them whenever I used the train in ski seasons that extended into April and May.

Usually organised coach groups paying less than it cost to run the train in the hope they’d spend enough in the Ptarmigan.

I was told in 2004 it was costing £15 of electricity each time the purple pig moved! Multiply that up to current unit price and you get the picture…

Though coach parties (and numbers getting of the bus to use the train) were dropping off steadily by the time it closed. Standing up in a moving vehicle prone to random sudden stops and even in summer a 1 in 3 chance of only seeing the inside of a cloud have put those coach groups that want to do a mountain very firmly to Nevis Range!

The funicular wasn’t viable before closure, with a more complicated structure requiring more maintenance after the viaduct repairs and given electricity costs it certainly isn’t viable now.
latest report
Thanks for that info. haggishunter - very interesting.
Quote:

The funicular wasn’t viable before closure, with a more complicated structure requiring more maintenance after the viaduct repairs and given electricity costs it certainly isn’t viable now.
So just what the hell can possibly be done with it in the long term? Shocked
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, it can only continue operating with an ongoing subsidy of several hundred thousand pounds each year which I'm sure HIE are more than happy to demand from the taxpayer. rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:
It can only continue operating with an ongoing subsidy of several hundred thousand pounds each year which I'm sure HIE are more than happy to demand from the taxpayer.
Phew! Thank goodness for that! Every cloud and all that...rolling eyes
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
@mountainaddict, it can only continue operating with an ongoing subsidy of several hundred thousand pounds each year which I'm sure HIE are more than happy to demand from the taxpayer. rolling eyes

The Funicular FBC (full business case) states that CML will require ongoing subsidy of £1.5 to £2.5m per annum. Eh oh!

The figures maybe over egged so HIE can say oh look how successful it is, but the evidence to 2018 was that the carrying capacity of CairnGorm ski area had been reduced to the extent snowsports could no longer generate sufficient revenue to cover operating the train year round.

If you look at the most recent accounts HIE trumpet that CML broke even with trading turnover of £216k and operating costs of £2.14million! rolling eyes

Their new wheeze, ‘revenue funding’, HIE writes a cheque at the end of each month and it goes through the books as revenue, not grants / loans etc.

Thus the end of year accounts report:

——————2020/21 2019/2020
Profit/loss….£nil……….£ -1,006,819
snow conditions
@haggishunter, I wasn't sure of the exact annual loss at Cairngorm, hence my references to several hundred thousand pounds annual subsidy required. I'm not in the least bit surprised to hear that it's substantially more. rolling eyes
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Thanks for that info. haggishunter - very interesting.
Quote:

So just what the hell can possibly be done with it in the long term? Shocked

Open up the mountain so people can enjoy the summit for starters. What the hell is the point is going to the top of a mountain, only to be refused access to the outside and to stare at it from a cafe. It’s a complete farce and a business model that hasn’t been repeated on any mountain top visitor attraction anywhere else in the world. Granted it’s a delicate area with certain plants, but create pathways, teach people about the rare fauna up there and the tourists will return once again.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:

Open up the mountain so people can enjoy the summit for starters. What the hell is the point is going to the top of a mountain, only to be refused access to the outside and to stare at it from a cafe. It’s a complete farce and a business model that hasn’t been repeated on any mountain top visitor attraction anywhere else in the world. Granted it’s a delicate area with certain plants, but create pathways, teach people about the rare fauna up there and the tourists will return once again.

In the grand financial scheme of things the closed system is basically noise. Removing it would only make a very marginal improvement, the system is only closed outwith the ski season.
snow report
Fair point, well made Ricklovesthepowder.
The visitors trapped in top station situation at Cairngorm just completely takes the P1$$. As you allude to, it's funny how every other lift-accesed mountain in the world somehow manages the issue of (God forbid) people being allowed to get off lifts and roam free.. rolling eyes
snow conditions
What would it cost to reinstate the old chairlift. Is it really necessary to remove the funicular if it isn't being used? The funicular is there now being unsightly so it would just continue being what it is. Before the funicular this was a nice ski resort.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
What would it cost to reinstate the old chairlift.

The old chairlift was too hard to use.

Glenshee has recently installed a used fixed grip chairlift, the cost of doing that will be known, there must be a few other chairlifts available that have been upgraded by other resorts.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:

The old chairlift was too hard to use.

Think there might be some confusion there? The old chairlift was a detachable chairlift where the chairs were not just slowed down but brought to a complete halt for loading and unloading.

Any chairlift going up the to the Ptarmigan level would pretty much have to be detachable grip with off line carrier storage. The mountain haul road would reduce installation costs vs some locations, put you’d be pushing £6.6-£8m for six seater detachable on the line of the old T-bar.

The funicular is legally required to be removed under the section 30 agreement. The nature of the viaduct means that one day it has to completely come down - what we have now is a £21m plus can kicking exercise to save face (and maybe more importantly preventing a more detailed look at its past).
snow conditions
The old chairlift was from a completely different era, I've never been on quite like it. A "modern" fixed would be far better but a detachable would be wonderful. Doesn't the funicular take a line further to the right looking up the mountain than the old chairlift?
snow conditions
Quote:
The old chairlift was from a completely different era
... you had to take your skis off & sit sideways-on (some say to reduce windage)
ski holidays
Nice one@geoffers, Happy memories. Were the Ciste chairs normal, ie forward facing?
snow conditions
@geoffers, brilliant picture. @Rogerdodger, the Ciste chairlifts were conventional forward facing fixed grips.
ski holidays
Wow, I had forgotten that!
OK then, how about another drag lift. It wouldn't be so subject to wind. I'm looking for something cheap that goes from the bottom. Further up it could go right beside the one that only does the steeper upper part of the White Lady. (Is that one still there? It's a few years since I skied in the East.)
ski holidays
Couldn't they just keep prevaricating and claiming not to have enough money to demolish yet?
latest report
stevew wrote:
Doesn't the funicular take a line further to the right looking up the mountain than the old chairlift?

The Funicular track runs up the White Lady parallel to the old chairlift line, at the mid-station, it fits between the old Sheiling Cafe and where the Chairlift station was. Indeed when queuing at the mid-station you are standing on the old chairlift station which is still partially in place as it houses Hydro Electric PD switching gear and substation.

http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=191

Incidentally, the Vail Resorts operated Mt Perisher Double Chairlift in Australia is the same GMD model as the Coire na Ciste and West Wall Chairlifts were at Cairn Gorm, but it is a year older than the White Lady Chairlift would be if it were still in operation. The couldn't get parts, couldn't maintain it, dangerously obsolete, etc story from CML and HIE were just that, a story. HIE tell lies.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy