Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 2019/20

Poster: A snowHead
@Snowysarah, Yes 10 mins max walk. Only 4 - 500m or so but first 150m is up hill but not too steep.

It will be busy I'm afraid. More because of the french holidays. 2 out of 3 zones that week including Paris. Plus UK and other European countries. Depending on time the queue at Diable will be long. Should be better further up the mountain this year with 2 new lifts. Just need to be a bit clever where/when you ski. There are some quieter areas.

That's a big party. I don't know anyone with anything that large.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are in L2A for opening day on Saturday for a week, can’t wait for a early season shred. Our flight hits Geneva at 9:40am is there anywhere that be open between for a mid afternoon ride? Otherwise we will just head straight there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Visiting L2A for the first time since I learned to ski there. Looking forward to going back to see what I make of those same slopes now I've got a good few years under my belt. And now looking forward to not having to get a lift down each day!

Any decent recommendations on reliable hire shops please?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@noako, Where are you staying? It makes sense to use one nearby. Jacques Sports and Schuss Sports are pretty good and near Diable lift.

Sport Emotion Mont de Lans are near Belle Etoile. Ski Xtreme are fairly central, especially good for off piste stuff.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jamaylen, If its open Les 7 Laux north of Grenoble would be ideal. Looking at their website they're considering opening this weekend. Confirm before travelling though. Otherwise somewhere near Geneva, suspect they're all a bit off route though.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 28-11-19 10:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Its snowing heavily here this morning. Due to continue today and tomorrow. Sunny Saturday Very Happy

I could have fun trying to leave tomorrow morning Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@claude thanks I’ve taken a look at les 7 laux and we will head there if it’s open
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi,

I’m heading L2A Christmas week the year on a solo trip. Booked in for group lessons with ESS and getting rental through them too.

This will be my third week on snow, I did Alpe D’Huez as part of a school trip (I’m a teacher) a few years back and spent most of the first part of the week picking up children who’d fallen over and then the second part of the week pottering about rather than really learning.

Went to Tignes last New Year with my ex gf. It was her first week skiing and she’d refused to take any lessons beyond Chill Factore. Shared one private lesson at the end of the week once she’d finally admitted she needed some more help!

So really looking forward to pushing on properly this year. I was ok in most blues in Tignes some a bit tricky when busy and conditions weren’t great. So hoping L2A will be a good fit for where I am.

ESS leave the Wednesday free to allow people to visit the other resorts. Does anyone have any advice on which one is easiest to get to? Would be quite nice to return to Alpe D’Huez as I’d at least have some area of where I’d be going! Or is it just worth staying in L2A as there’ll still be lots to see?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Liamg45, Tbh there's plenty here to keep you amused. Alpe D'huez is only just across the valley, 45m by road. Buses run certain days of the week or your TO may arrange something.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I finally got back up here and had my first ski of the winter yesterday. Conditions are very, very good. Snow cover is great and I didn't see any early season stones. Not everything is open yet but that is usual for early season when there aren't so many here. More snow forecast this week. Shot from the top of super diable black looking back down to town.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking great already!

Claude B wrote:
@noako, Where are you staying? It makes sense to use one nearby. Jacques Sports and Schuss Sports are pretty good and near Diable lift.

Sport Emotion Mont de Lans are near Belle Etoile. Ski Xtreme are fairly central, especially good for off piste stuff.

Thanks for the reply Claude. We're staying at the Hotel Aarlborg, so looks like Jaques is super close, that should work for our group. Ski Xtreme aren't far either — do you know if they are also good for renting freestyle skis?

One more question if you don't mind. Me and my other halfs mothers are joining us for their first ever ski trip (bucketlist stuff, before they get too old!), do you have any specific recommendations for any of the ski schools with female instructors who'll do shared private lessons?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@noako, Jaques Sports are almost next door. They do most types of skis and are very good.

Ok, ski lessons. Alex Armand (she) is English, Tip top ski coaching. Contact her in the first instance. If not European Ski School cater mainly for UK skiers. All their female instructors are Italian (90% sure) but their English is excellent.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great, thanks again, much appreciated.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another super day yesterday, wall to wall sunshine and empty pistes. Snowing this morning and due to continue all day. A day for putting my Christmas tree up I think snowHead

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We had a lot of snow yesterday and overnight. I went out for an hour or so and came back at 8pm and it was still falling heavily. Looks like 40 - 50cm down here. Can see that its windy up the mountain though. Things will be late opening, a lot of clearance going on. Flickr isn't behaving this morning so no photo yet.
snow report
From the balcony just after dawn Very Happy

latest report
Looks great,
can’t wait to get there, hopefully dodging this week heavy snow dumps. I take it the new Pierre Gros gondola isn’t open yet until it gets busier in resort?
latest report
@Honeybadgerversion2, no not yet, in fact they were still working on it last week.

Lovely day although only open to 2600m due to high winds on the glacier. Very, very quiet still. Took fatter skis out and played around off piste, nothing serious though.
ski holidays
Thanks for the reply.
Hopefully the new lift will be working before it gets busy as queues last year were pretty bad
latest report
@Honeybadgerversion2, I suspect someones balls are on the line Toofy Grin I'm sure it will be.
ski holidays
Cracking day, fair bit of snow overnight with sunshine, but cold, -10°C at 3200m with a fair bit of wind chill on top. Signal open for the first time this winter.

Which also meant I could see the top of the new Pierre Gros gondola. Not running today though.

Lot of snow forecast next couple of days. Rise Festival starts Saturday so will be much busier then.
latest report
Big dump overnight, 1m on the glacier according to the resort app. But nothing is running yet and no indication of when/if. Forecast is for the tempête (storm) to continue all day although the sun just made a brief appearance.

Rise starts Saturday and some of the gigs are free if anyone is here. These looks interesting.

PROGRAMME 2019
Dimanche 15 décembre – Place des 2 Alpes
20h00 - 00h00 : Chase & Status DJ Set

Jeudi 19 décembre – Place des 2 Alpes
20h00 - 00h00 : No Strings Attached / Craig Charles Funk & Soul

Others are indoors but I believe individual tickets can be bought for some.

Lundi 16 décembre – Palais des Sports
19h00 - 04h00 : Bongo Bingo / Solardo /Michael Bibi

Mardi 17 décembre – Palais des Sports
19h00 - 04h00 : Bongo Bingo / Appelbum

Mercredi 18 décembre – Palais des Sports
19h00 - 04h00 : Bongo Bingo / Triple Cooked
latest report
Info please. Is Belle Etoile chair in operation? Never seems to appear on LDA lift status updates. Kern to know before booking accommodation. Thanks
latest report
@belnahua, should be except perhaps very early and very late season. I stayed right by it for a couple of seasons and used it every day. It's never too busy and with the new Crêtes chair is a good route up the mountain. Can also be used to download if necessary.

It's on the resort app lift status. Not very helpful today though as all lifts are closed.
snow report
Brilliant.....thanks. It's looking good out there
snow conditions
Not today huge storm and everything closed. Loads of early snow though with sunshine in between.
ski holidays
Thanks for the constant updates @Claude B!
Sad to hear that today everything was closed... I'm heading there for the whole Christimas week, hope no snow storm hits at that week! Shocked
snow report
What’s the lift situation been like at L2A recently, are they mostly closed due to low season or has it been recent high winds ?
I can check the weather online so assuming weather is ok all the lifts should be open by 21st December? Any info appreciated.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It has been very, very quiet so Fée, Thuit, Vallée Blanche aren't open. Also other various lifts. The last few days weather has affected things, everything was closed yesterday.

The week starting tomorrow will be the first relatively busy week. A lot more should be open.
snow conditions
Good to read Claude B, you are full of good local info, thank you.
snow report
Beautiful sunny day and lovely snow but windy. Wind had damaged Bellecombe lift and Jandri 2 was closed. Both opened at lunchtime but had continuing wind related problems. A few more here this weeks, mostly Brits, Rise Festival and some UK private school groups.

Think I'll watch a bit of Chase and Status this evening Very Happy

snow report
Looks lovely. Four of us coming for Christmas next Saturday. I hope we can get at least one day with top to bottom skiing
snow conditions
@salsacolin, They'll open everything for Christmas. Top to bottom is 3600m to 1300m, top of glacier to Mont de Lans. It is possible to do it without a lift and depending on route it's about 15km.
ski holidays
Very windy nothing open bar the drags at the bottom.

On the plus side we had another beautiful display above the mountains at dawn.

snow report
Claude B wrote:
Very windy nothing open bar the drags at the bottom.

On the plus side we had another beautiful display above the mountains at dawn.

Ohh boy... Sad
ski holidays
They got some lifts running around lunchtime but it looked a bit grim tbh. Just talked to a pisteur who told me that tomorrow will be the same. He works on Vallée Blanche which is due to open tomorrow, but perhaps not.
ski holidays
Not a great day but not disastrous. I was late so went up Vallée Blanche as it only opened today. Not nice at all, quite icy. Photo is from the top. The main mountain had a bit of everything. Icy low, windy high (glacier closed), poor vis in places and some good snow in places. Then it started to snow higher so I came down. Windy in resort now too.

snow report
Spoke to a couple of different L2A lift employees today whilst out and about and got conflicting info on the new Pierre Gros lift. One was adamant the lift was not finished and would not be open at Christmas possibly not until January . The other said it could open any day .
So not sure which is true although the former seemed sure that it’s completion was late!?
latest report
@Honeybadgerversion2, It's def late. I'll ask around. One of my neighbours is a pisteur I'll ask.
latest report
Nice day, cold and windy up high but fairly sunny for much of the day;

From the top of Signal I could see the new Pierre Grosse gondola running but not open. Made me think it's going to open Saturday BUT I then bumped into my neighbour who is a pisteur in the Fée sector where it will start. He was pretty tight lipped but said it won't open Saturday. Although I know him well he wouldn't expand on that, when, etc.

http://youtube.com/v/S_MwjJb_7D0
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy