Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The First Skis You Owned

Poster: A snowHead
Back approx 18 years ago my first skis were Rossignol B2's, described as an expert all mountain ski at 76mm underfoot and a foam core that turned to noodles 4 years in.

Then Nordica Enforcer 98s at 178 cm which were my only ski for about 8 years.

Now on Nordica Dobermann SL skis at 165cm, Elan FIS sponsored race GS at 182cm for when the pistes are empty, Nordica Enforcer Free 104mm 179cm (truly amazing all round ski with a 17.5m radius which carves at high speed like a demon yet blasts off piste) and the powder monsters, Bent Chetler 120mm at 185cm length, another pretty good all rounder but hard to carve on piste all day.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First skis I owned were a used pair of Roy

I then progress to Dynastar Course Junior, the white ones , the last with the strawberries on the tips

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Started with K2 Shreditor 92, now usually ski Armada ARV 106s
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm,

Back in the days behind the Iron Curtain, I started off on a pair of ATOMIC RC - locally made, 200cm monsters. As I got better my dad bought me a pair of Atomic ARC Bionic Module Technic 208cm... Various used pairs came and went, but they were always Atomic...

Now on Atomic BC 120 in 193 and Rossi Sky7 HD 188 with Quiver Killer inserts and Shifts. Still have a pair of Atomic Sugar Daddies 193 with Dukes and pair of Sporten Weeds 191 with Tyrolia Adrenalin 16s...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some rental Volkls I got for like 50 bucks. Two weeks after that I got some very decent Line Supernaturals 92 though.

I still have both pairs back at my friends shed back in Banff (I hope so) Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
K2 Burnin' Luv- purchased at the Ski Show before I headed off for my first (and only) season as a chalet "girl" in 2005/06.
There were so many around, I wrote my initials on them in indelible marker pen. Sold them about 4 years later. Women's skis with flowers on...ugh... rolling eyes

A few years ago Mr P spotted them -still bearing my initials, and still being skied.

Since then-I've have been a bit of a ski shopaholic...So the complete list would be embarrassingly long.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Idris wrote:

I then progress to Dynastar Course Junior, the white ones , the last with the strawberries on the tips

I borrowed a pair of Omeglass for an Italian holiday in 1976/77 - they were great skis. And my beloved Course GS went in the Hippo Bag just a few weeks ago!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kniessel white star hand-me-downs
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Volkl 195 Renntigers for me back in the mid eighties. I’ve still got them in the loft.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perty wrote:
K2 Burnin' Luv- purchased at the Ski Show before I headed off for my first (and only) season as a chalet "girl" in 2005/06.
There were so many around, I wrote my initials on them in indelible marker pen. Sold them about 4 years later. Women's skis with flowers on...ugh... rolling eyes

A few years ago Mr P spotted them -still bearing my initials, and still being skied.

Since then-I've have been a bit of a ski shopaholic...So the complete list would be embarrassingly long.

They were mine too. Replaced them with more up to date BLs. I loved them
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
(Possibly Fischer) “Blue Masters” wood, no edges, cable bindings …. Cairdsport, Aviemore, 1970 I think.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dynamic VX10 circa 1985, the cheapest, nastiest skis available that the local nightclub gave away as prizes for getting drunk & playing silly games. They lasted 5 days on snow before I clipped a rock & ripped almost the entire edge off.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A pair of red Spalding planks with bindings that needed to be reset by pulling up the lever at the back. A right pain in the back bottom but I was 5 and they were cheaper than hiring for two weeks in tax free Livignio.
Had about 4 pairs handed down over the years until,
Dynastar sl team (white/Red
Bobble)
Rosi 4s loved these, then 4s vas
Fischer RC4 & k2 kvc both stolen from hotel car park in Washington (uk) when there for a race.
Replaced on insurance with two pairs of
K2 kvc loved those things
Replaced one pair with a pair of 7sk these were ok but wasn’t racing anymore so could have bought something more useful to be honest.
After that. Too many to mention!
Have a pile in the container at work!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had a long thin pair of Elan skis, all I know is that when I started skiing I was suprised at how thin the skis were, and when I bought my first pair they were Elan, but now 29 years later I can't remember the numbers , have quite a few pairs since. I only threw out the First pair last year, they attic was getting clogged.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1988 - Dynastar Course (with the red blobs on the tips!)

1st skis I skied on were some varnished wooden ones, C.1971, but can't remember the make...

The first ones I can remember were my penfriend's brown Rossignol Strato (102s?), approx 1973, followed by Strato 650s... Very long and very thin!
snow report
Salomon crossmax were first
K2 Public enemy, absolutely loved them. Wife left ski bag on the road after we got out of the taxi and they got stolen. was late at night
Black Crows Ova - stolen in Val D'isere
Volkl Ledge - awful
Atomic GS
Black Crows Captis
Nordica Enforcer 100. Probably best skis i've ever owned
Icelantic Pioneer 109. Stolen second day i had them outside a mountain restaurant in a whiteout in Tignes
Icelantic nomad 105
J skis the Friend. Still not used
Elan ripstick 96 black
j skis hotshot
ski holidays
Volkl P10, 210's - amazing ski, in its day
snow report
What Fun. At the start of COVID I made up my list as best I can recall
1964 freshly painted solid wood, no metal edges, w/ cable bindings and blue Caber, rubber, lace up boots (I remember my siblings had leather boots that had inner boots that had to be tied, then the outer boot w/ the lace hooks and you had lace tighteners to pull the laces extra tight (basically a metal hook.)
1967 or so 165 cm Kazama's w/ Cubco bindings (the ones with the exposed spring and the metal plates you screwed onto your boots) Heierling, leather, buckle boots-got broken getting on ski lift
1972 195 cm Hart Knights w/ used Salomon 505 bindings (I paid for most of these myself) [from the Hart "Chess" line-up of 72-73 King, Queen, Bishop, Rook, Knight, Pawn] skied the edges out from under the foot. Hart didn't live up to their warranty and replace them. Raichle Red Hot boots (the clam shell ones with the silver apres ski inner boots
1974 190 cm Dynastar S730 Freestyle Equipe w/ said Salomon 505's later upgraded to 555 E, San Marco Super Pro boots (The Green Machine-had canting and forward lean micro-adjustmentsfar ahead of their time)-I wouldn't give in to the trend of 170-185 cm "hotdogging" skis; but did drop 5 cm (proudly donated them in 2021 to the Seattle Ski & Snowboard shops "Dead Ski Garden" where I can visit them to riminess.
Circa 1977-1979 170 cm Blizzard's unknown model or bindings, 160 cm Century honeycomb also unknown bindings, 180 cm grooveless bottom Olin Mark IV w/ Salomon 555 E (bindings fated for future reference.) I was dabbling in freestyle-ballet, aerials; but still used the Dynastar's as my main planks and mogul bashers.
Circa 1979 200 cm Hexcel Comp w/ Salomon 555Equipe, Hanson Exhibition boots-fast, lively, light
Circa 1980 205 cm K2 Comp w/ Tyrolia bindings, traded these for Olin Mark IV's-these too ended up at the "Dead Ski Garden."
Circa 1995 195 cm Hexcel Primer Cords came w/ Look bindings. To fit my boots I either had to remount the bindings or switch them out, and opted for the later, going w/ the 555E's from the Olin's.
Circa 1987 203 cm Omeglass Equipe (Omeglass II race tuned big brother) w/ Marker M 40 Race bindings, Lange XLR boots (those ubiquitous orange monsters popularized by the Mahre Brothers Olympic escapades-hard on the feet and shins; but oh the control.) Still have these in the garage and have skied them three times early season recently (2019-20. Not quite ready to let them go hibernate yet.
Nordica boots that fit the Dynastar's-model etc. unknown-literally blew the bottom off one boot and walked off the hill-Dad's last day of skiing
Nordica Smart Tech 8 boots with hopes of getting my ski legs back w/ a 70 flex (I didn't know much about flex numbers yet) 1/2 size small and a bit soft for my style.
2014 had not skied in over 10 yrs, 1st run very embarrassing; but after a few got it back. Skied on the new shoerter/wider skis for the first time Rossignol Soul 7's stocked for the future!
2018 185 cm Nordica Enforcer 100 w/ Marker Griffin shop demos, Lange RX 120 w/ custom foot beds-these skis can take anything I toss at them. Hold surprisingly well on hard snow/ice and as a skier known to hit 40-50 mph I have yet to find their speed limit. on piste or off, crud, soft hard no worries!
2020 Dalbello120 Panterra boots, Lange's have excellent control; but hurt my feet. Dabello's are easy on/off and have nearly the control of the Lange's and much more comfy
2021 added Nordica Dobermann Spitfire 80RD carvers to the quiver. Basically a groomer destroyer, eats hard snow and ice alive and has no speed limit-very exciting to ski.
Next, maybe '24-25 Bode Miller Peak 98's
snow report
Idris wrote:

Lusted after those Strawberry Dynastars as a kid!
snow conditions
I've only ever owned 3 pairs of skis in 40+ years of skiing, I did take a 30 year break for some reason.

Early 80's I inherited a pair of Dynastar Easy Riders with Gertsch plate bindings from one of the owners of Badenoch Ski School. Can't remember if they belonged to Donnie or Arthur.
Mid 80's Rossignol Rodeos with Salomon bindings
Latest pair are from Decathlon, Wedze Crosslanders good enough for Scottish skiing.
Have also used our club's skis which are mostly Salomon but are being replaced with Heads now.
ski holidays
It took me a fair while before I bought any snow gear. In fact someone smashed my teeth in, I took them to court, and used the profits to buy some ski gear... which were Dynastar GS red-blob skis, the all gold ones, which I thought looked better than the following season's (1984) white & gold graphic refresh. I bought boots at the same time - Dynafit 3F Comp S - so it's hard to tell which made most difference. I think I liked the boots more, because at the time humanity was deeply into rear entry boots, and these were much more serious than that.

---

But I'm thinking you may be onto something with this. Maybe the shots of the stuff people have used over the years are more amusing. Or not. I junked the Dynastars years ago. I also dumped my first snowboard; trashed three or four along the way by hitting buried logs and stuff; and sold a few. I kept what I could...

Left to right: current Kessler SL 156; Lacroix 195 mono; SIMs GS race board; F2 SL race board; Nitro Scorpion 2nd gen (1st I trashed on a buried tree in waist-deep powder at Revelstoke); Burton 1st Gen Supermodel 168 from the "go big or go home" days of around 1997; Burton Fish, 1st generation, from a little later; Donek Carve board from when boards were narrow; Rossi Fait d-hiver mono. Of that lot, the Rossi is the oldest I think, from maybe 1986.

Dump Truck (see for sale pages); this season's Hometown Hero; Limited 168, the prettiest of the lot, maybe.

I mostly ride rentals, which saves lots of money buying everything I want to ride wink
ski holidays
@philwig, love the Lacroix Mono! And the killer whale Very Happy
latest report
Purchased in 2001/2002 first used in February 2002

First skis Head X-frame supercross (freeride)
length/radius 180/19
f-index 115

These look similar but my skis do not have ti in the name (actually mine do have Titanium written on them which may be the TI).

https://www.freeride.com/gear/skis/head-super-cross-ti.html

2002 Sauze d'Oulx, Italy

2004 Zermatt, Switzerland

2005 Serre Chevalier, France

2017 Ben Ledi, Scotland

2019 Glencoe, Scotland

Prior to 2002 I hired skis, and used my own boots. Not upgraded yet, skis and bindings are being cared for well! I had to get a new pair of boots in 2006 due to theft of 10 year old pair. I should add there is some confusion in previous posts where I said these were 190 skis. I think they are actually 186, and the ski itself states its dimensions as 180. So I have corrected my previous posts. The confusion arises as the ski bag I bought at the time (for holding 6 skis), was for 190 skis, and so I assumed this meant my skis were 190s.

I cannot find any explanation of what flex f-115 means, but I suspect it means fairly stiff in the rear of the ski for freeride skiing. Not as stiff as racing skis, but stiffer than freestyle skis.

If anything in hindsight, I might prefer now a ski with a smaller radius than 19m, maybe 14 or 15m. However, over the period of my skiing style and ability, the radius was mostly fine for me. Learning to do kick turns made me less concerned with the radius.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 23-05-22 9:10; edited 7 times in total
snow conditions
Back in the day I had the following:-

Dynastar Omesoft
Dynastar Dynasty Airflow ... https://es.wallapop.com/item/esquis-vintage-dynasty-kevlar-dynastar-190-777218215 - utterly superb.
Dynastar Course SL ... the black ones with pink bases
Dynastar X9 Coupe ... https://www.loombard.pl/products/narty-dynastar-racing-x9-coupe-qkm2
Salomon 9000 Equipe 2S ... Salomon's monocoque race skis - magnificent skis
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy