Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The First Skis You Owned

Poster: A snowHead
Im interested to know what skis you people bought for your first set of planks and what you use now (even if you hire them, do you hire the same make/model)

I apreciate ski technology has improved greatly over the last 10 years and that many of you Snowheads have been skiing far longer then that, but im just interested to know what you used then and what you slide on now.

Some photographs would be nice.

Thought this would make a nice thread, plus give it will give myself and the rest of the community an idea what you lovely people ski on.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First: Dynastar Radical Extreme 185. They now help keep the dust of the insulation in my attic.

Now: Atomic SX10
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kastle something or other 170cm... 25 years ago ish

Now Rossignols 9S 170cm

tried a few longer skis in my time wink strange, I am back to the same length as my first skis Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
An intersting romp back down memory lane. From a bloke that never makes lists, here’s a list (Paul Mason please turn away now or I’ll have you and everyone in Birtley humanely laminated). And look at those lengths! I've missed a few but here goes...

1978ish
Head Competition - 203s – they were cheap and they delaminated but matched my suit.

Early 80s
Dynastar Omeglass 2 – 200 – unskiable, chewing gum for a base but fashionable.
Dynastar Omeglass Equipe – 203 – also unskiable, fashionable and got me through BASI
Dynastar Course GS - 207 – the gold ski with the red blob, nice, first Ptex 2000 base
Dynastar Course SL – 203 – the white one with the same red blob, also nice for the time.

Mid 80s
Blizzard Thermo SL – 200 – a revelation at the time, dayglo graphics
Blizzard Thermo RS – 210 – a monster, only went straight.
Blizzard Thermo Quattro and Multitronic – 200 – they bent, unbelieveably heavy with Tyrolia bindings on.
Blizzard Thermo Super G – 215 – envious looks at check-in.
Kastle RX – 205 – unweildy, heavy as hell planks.

Late 80s
K2 VO Slalom – 204 – a very powerful ski, proud I had a pair.
K2 5500 – 204 – cracked edges, nice but fragile.
K2 Extreme – 200 – thanks to Blizzard of Ahhhhhs I became Scott Schmidt!

Early 90s
Elan MBX – 185 & 208! – First carving skis but nobody's technique had evolved to cope yet.
Elan Comprex GS – 203 – Very smooth, still in my garage.

Mid 90s
K2 Four – 198 – Complete with Hangl plate, beautiful and another that lurks in the garage.
Head Cyber 180 – early carving ski. Fond memories.
Salomon Axe Cleaver – 160 – fashionable to ski ‘em with no poles. Gave ‘em away to a bloke with no arms.

Late 90s
K2 Axis X Pro – 188 – smooth, stable, grippy, crud-buster. Loved ‘em. Still in the garage.

Now
I rent demo skis. Really can’t be ars*d with lugging the things around. Learnt long ago that you should be able to jump on almost anything and have a great day. I just spend a bit of time ensuring that they are prepared properly and offski. You really can’t blame the ski these days and it’s fun to try a few different brands, types, and have the flexibility to go and swap them.

So, come on you listers, beat that NehNeh
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A pair of Sears (as in the department store chain) wood skis with plastic bases, screw in metal edges and cable bindings. Not sure what the length was but they had me stick my arm straight up then they selected a length that touched the tips of my fingers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JohnHill, is that skis you have owed Shocked or skied, puts my list to shame. Agree about jumping on anything, just some skis do some things better and that is the fun. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dunk, owned.

When you see it listed, work out how much dosh was tied up and look at the actual number of days of use and yet more dosh shelled out on servicing, carriage etc, then factor in the hassle factor, you soon realise that renting is the way to go (only skis, obviously not boots). Rental shop gear is a million miles away from where it used to be and the good ones have no problem giving your skis a tune up overnight or swapping them. Even rental poles feel OK, although I often take my own if I can be bothered. When it comes to buying, I think people agonise way too much over their choice of model and brand - go for right length, right category, keep 'em well tuned and you can't blame the ski...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JohnHill,Impressive Shocked
My skis are on their 3rd season, approx 15 weeks, so cheaper to own, buy them cheap and do the minor service myself. I use hire skis at times, to play with in different snow conditions.
If people spent as much money on lessons as they did on skis they would find out that it is their tecnique that limits their skiing not the model and brand.
Stress over with Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First 4 pairs:

Red wooden-base Jela, edges? length?
Yellow/black Vittor Tuas ~170cm, black plastic (ABS?) bases
Elan CR 03 w. Caber ~175cm, clear bases, yay!
Elan RC 05 w. Looks 195cm
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
First pair and still have Elan SCX blue cap 1996
Rossis Cut 10.4 2001
Atomic Metrons
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
First pair and still have Elan SCX blue cap 1996
Rossis Cut 10.4 2001
Atomic Metrons
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dunk, Well said.

First pair: Kneissl Red Star Riesenslalom 170 about 1964 I think. Red with white pinstripes and made of laminated wood - the latest thing at the time. Cable bindings with toe release. I skied on them until I was 16 when I got a pair of Rossignol Strato slalom skis at 190. Raced on those (including downhill), but actually had 2 pairs as the first pair de-laminated and were replaced by the factory with Strato 102s.
After that a pair of dynastar GS's I think called 550 or something 195.
Then Dynastar Course SL gold 200, Dynamic VR27 sl 204 (the first ones);
K2 sl 200 (can't remember the name),
K2 comp 90 195 (got me through grade1);
Head cyber X 24 190 (first parabolic);
Head Cyberspace 170 (first carving ski) - still in Dad's shed ready for plastic);
Volkl P50 sl 163;
Fischer WC SC 155 (current and best ever);
Zag le Rouge 163 - great.

Over the years at some point or other I've also skied my mum's old Attenhofers (beautiful hickory skis), a pair of Olin SLs; Rossi Scratch FS ..........

JohnHill, How did you go through so many? My Comp 90s lasted 7 years (teaching professionally), the Cyberspace 4; Volkls are now my rock hoppers and still fine after 3 years full time (30 weeks a year).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some random '85 kastle sticks @ 160, then '89 Pre M9x's @ 195. Still got the old school turquoise and highlighter yellow TNF Rage jacket to go with it Confused

Just got some Snakes in 170.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First pair - K2 Gyrators bought in about 1989-1990. They were psychedelic vomit fluoro pink and green coloured, which of course was the absolute dogz back then...

Now - Stockli StormriderXL, much wider, stiffer and more sidecut so better in every way. I've still got the Gyrators in my parent's attic, maybe I'll nail them on a wall when they're old enough!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JohnHill wrote:
Learnt long ago that you should be able to jump on almost anything and have a great day.

Yes I agree with that. Buses handle brilliantly.

First skis? Erbacher, in 1963, solid wood, cable bindings.
Second skis? A huge upgrade: Attenhofer, with wood core, metal laminated. Look 'Nevada' bindings.
latest report
1983 Dynamic VR25 tubulars - 210cms - like floppy long matchsticks, quite good in powder though, C@@p on ice so next
1989 Drnamic VR27 SL - 203cms Great on ice, tricky in the soft
1996 Head carvers - looked like bumble bees, can't remember the numbers
2003 Salomon Crossmax 10s and thinkkinf of changing next year
snow conditions
1994 K2 TR Comp 180cm. Apparently very good but mine were in a shocking state. Didn't even check the bindings, just clicked in and went.
For the following few years hire skis at extremely advatageous price from Rob Link at Carrel Sports in LDA, various Volkl P30, P40, Carver Axis (blew the edge on that, Sorry Rob)
2002 Salomon 1080's, 181cm I think
2003 K2 Enemy Twin Tips 183cm (cheap, £200 inc bindings)
2004 Salomon Crossmax 8 70cm (£100 brand new inc bindings)
2005 Movement Thunder 175cm (not cheap, £500, lost one in Chamonix)
2006 K2 Made'n AK 179cm (really not cheap, £550)

Going to buy an allround ski since the Madens are great in powder but not so much elsewhere. Maybe Gotamas, Maybe Mantras.
ski holidays
Mmm, first skis.

K2 SLC 200cm with Tyrolia 490d bindings.

Cooler than a cold thing on a chilly day in Freezeville.

Took out the indside edges on both skis at Val Dispare one year and replaced them with the "Extreme" version. These days both sets look skinny enough to be cross country skis.
latest report
1992 Salomon 9000 exp. 200cm Lasted me for a few years. I sold them in the late 90s for £100.
Then embarkrd on a series of Salomon Scream skis.
Next time I go, I'll probably buy some Rossignol Zenith 9s. I saw them in my local S&R and really liked the look of them and the write ups are pretty good.
snow report
I can't remember the name but they were second hand and bright orange and Salamon bindings................It was the 80s
snow report
Mmmm long time ago. Elan Pro 440 180cm circa 1985, Dynastar Fusion in 185cm, K2 TR Comp 190cm, Rossi Bandit L 170cm, Atomic B9W 158cm...whats next Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Rossignol DV Cruise (can't remember the length) Sold
K2 Black Magic - 178cm Sold
(Salomon Snowblades - 90cm) Sold
K2 Axis X Pro - 181cm Sold Sad
(Fischer Spyders - 98cm)
K2 Seth Pistols - 179cm
Salomon Equipe 3V - 176cm Sold
Head iXRC1100SW - 170cm
snow report
That Head model name is a right conversation stopper.

I used to have a pair of Hot Heads (some people called them Head Hots, for some reason) in 1974. That was in the days when Head knew how to name a pair of skis.
snow conditions
First skis I used, wooden, can't remember the make, with Kandaher bindings about 217cms long, some time in the 1960s, not saying when. First skis I owned circa 1969, Heads with Tyrolia step-in bindings, they were some of the first fibre glass skis made, think they were about 210cms, still no brakes on the skis, leather leashs, then Blizzards, Franz Klammer skied on Blizzards, Head race skis in the early 70's 205 cms with Tyrolia bindings, Dynamic V27s and Look bindings, again over 2 metres, what a great ski they ripped, then K2s with Marker bindings, still long and made from old railway lines, were they stiff but great hold on ice, Atomic race skis with Marker bindings, fell apart sking Tortin, Fisher RC4s with Marker bindings, starting to get a bit shorter 195cms, Salomon Pilots in 170cms, still got them and after 6 years still going stong, Dynastar 4x4s in 184 cms with Look bindings, still got them and use them now and again, great all-mountain ski and finally Dynastar 74s with Look bindings at 167cms. I do get to use whatever skis we have in the Chalet, from Dynastar Bigs for powder days, used about 4 times in 3 years, never buy big fats just not worth it, various twin-tips to my daughters Dynastar 10s Slalom skis 155cms with Look bindings, great skis for icy pistes and will turn as soon as you think about it. Really settled on Dynastar/Look combinations, very tough and hard wearing, haven't had a bad pair yet. Haven't changed my boots nearly as frequently though.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, yeah, well, it kinda breaks down like this:
i = Head Intelligence
XRC = SkierCross range
1100 = model number
SW = Sandwich construction (they did 2 other 1100s with cap construction and rail bindings)

Some people also refer to them as the 1100WC (World Cup) or 1100RD (Race Department)
latest report
Atomic R9.22 2001/2
Dynastar Intuitiv Big 01/02 (I think - the snot green and orange ones)
Atomic SX11 03/04
Atomic Powder Cruise (bought 05; date from I'm not sure when - 2000 maybe)
Dynastar Legend Pro 2005

Still have them all except the Bigs Crying or Very sad . Trying to rationalise them down to the SX11s and Legend Pros
snow conditions
Quote:
yeah, well, it kinda breaks down like this:
i = Head Intelligence
XRC = SkierCross range
1100 = model number
SW = Sandwich construction

Maybe they should call them Head Passwords
snow conditions
First skis - Dynastar Starflo - 200cm - 1986/7. Horrible ! Sad

Best skis - Intuitiv Bigs/Salomon X Mountain Tour/Tua Big Easys - wiggly turns in soft snow Laughing

Loudest Skis, Atomic 635RS in Pink... Embarassed

Toughest skis - Blizzard slalom skis circa 1990 - lasted two seasons teaching in Scotland.

Most un-inspiring - Rossi 7SV - hated them the moment I saw them rolling eyes - did get me through BASI 2 tho'. snowHead

Do 'need' some new slalom skis now - amy suggestions ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1990: K2 of some kind - blew the edge out on a rock at the end of the first week, but won a pair of
1990: Dynastar Assault Verticals in a raffle at the Wobbly Rabbit.
1994: Salomon Evolution 9
2000: Salomon Xscreams - still on those today.
2007: who knows?
snow report
first (and current) Atomic SX 7.2, love them
ski holidays
It was that long ago I cant recall what the model was etc, but they were Spaldings
latest report
This is an amazing trip down memory lans - so many models I'd completely forgotton about, but can see as clear as day in my mind's eye .... K2 TR Comp (white with green/tourquoise writing?) Dynastar Vertical - friend had those ..... Dynastar Fusion with variable edges - black and cool with coloured bits on them ...... K2 Gyrator - I forgot I had a pair of them - the first mogul ski available on the UK market I think - hideous today - I think my sister still has them! ... Erbachers and Spaldings .... I remember some bright pink Erbachers .... Snowblades don't count BTW! ... Also entirely forgot about a disgusting pair of Kasle RX national Team SL - red - total planks - couldn't even give them away ... rolling eyes
ski holidays
It was 1985 or therabouts. Given to me by a 'friend' they were humungous metallic black things, no branding at all but a small silver logo (could have been a 'K' but memory is hazy) think they may have been some kind of Klammer endorsed product, so long I shoved them through the headlining of the ski bus out of Chatel and absolutely totally unskiable - anyone know what they may have been?
ski holidays
80's
Some ancient K2 model I cant remember the name of (white with green vertical stripes)
Dynastar Omesoft - silver & blue ones 200 cm - soft as s**** destroyed them in one season
Rossignol 3G - grey with black stripes 200 cm - excellent for the time, nice flex in the bumps. Much better than the rock stiff 4S version IMHO

90's
Volkl VP19 210 cm - very nice, super stable at speed. Hard to short swing these beasts. Still have these in the garage!

Been hiring ever since the short fat carver revolution - usually Salomon Screams or similar, much better than any of others I've owned.

We could do the same with bindings next:-

Remember Look 99RS bindings? - white ones with red RS graphics circa mid 80's I think.
snow conditions
marc gledhill, wuold those be the K2 E.I.S. (Extreme Ice Ski) I would have sold my soul for a pair of those.

uktrailmonster, Look 99RS. What a beautiful binding.

OK, my list, probably incomplete and error-ful...although I seem to have a disturbing recollection for this sort of trivia!!!

1971 - Fischer Blue Master 110cm, unidentified cable bindings, lace up boots (Cairdsport, Aviemore)
1973 (?) - Fischer Red Master, 120cm, Tyrolia kids safety bindings (Banks of Perth), leather CLIP BOOTS!!
1977 - My mother's Kneissl Compacts, 150cm, mother's caber 3 clip boots (blue) (All by Bank's of Perth)
1979 - Dynastar Equipe GT, Salomon 222, Nordica Comp J (ugh) (Blues, Edinburgh)
1981 - Fischer RC4 Target, 190cm, S747, (Nevisport, Glasgow)
1984 - Nordica - some sort of black racing boot with screw down spring at rear for flex control. (Blues, Edinburgh)
1985 - Dynastar Omeglass 2, 203cm then GOLD COURSE SLs 203cm, LOOK 99RS (!) dreamy skis (bought thru chum in GB team)
1988 - Volkl Renntiger, 203cm, Olympus sports, Glasgow (I kid you not. Bought dead cheap as the'd mounted mis-matched ski: different graphics, GBP100). Recycled the 747s.
1989 - Rossignol 7S 201cm. LOOK ZRCs in flou red (yum!) My favourite skis ever. Cutting tramlines down blue ice. Salomon SX 92s. (Francois Baud Sports, Morzine (FBs))
1990 - Tecnica TNTs (pink with green buckles) - my fave ever ski boots (FBs). Matched my green ski pants.
1993 - Rossignol 7SK 201cm (FBs) - recycled 757Es from Blizzard Firebird 215cm SG skis bought at LSSRA ski sale.
1994 - Tecnica TNT Explosion 8s (Starski Morzine)
2001 - Rossignol 9X 167cm (FBs), Rossi 120E bindings.
2002 - Tecnica Icon Carbon (Frachey Sports, Champoluc)
2003 - Rossi 9XO 160cm, Rossi 120s recycled. (FBs)

What's going on? A bit of a hiatus?

2007 - Rossignol 9X Ti WC with WC box (190cm) - Chamonix Bourse aux Skis (€120))
2007 - Nordica Dobermann 150 Aggressor WC (Marisports, Champoluc) [Woof!]
2008 - Nordica Dobermann SL-R 165cm (Marisports, Champoluc) [Who let the dogs out?]
2008 - Rossignol 9x WC with WC box (183cm) Sallanches Bourse aux skis, €30

Phew.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 11-11-08 20:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
ski, yeah, never saw the point in 7SVs, especially compared to the 7SKs...but no 7S ever as good as the original metallic turquoise ones.
snow conditions
Oh if were going through all of them... well I cant remember all mine but
Dynastar Course SL's & GS's (not bad skis)
K2 TRC's (not the white and green ones....the white and pink ones!) - (not bad, but warped by a radiator)
Elan something or other's but I cant recal what they were.... (tracked ubelievably well)
Fischer RC4 SL's (not bad)
I also had some Metalic Green Rossignol Slalom skis, but I cant remember what they were! (absolute poo! the edges fell out!)
Volkl P9 SL, Volkl P10 SL, Volkl P12's SL's (ok I was sponsored to use them but they were the and are the best skis Ive ever used)
snow conditions
David Murdoch, I don't think so, they were black (mainly) with a couple of black diamonds on the tail.

FunkyDunc, I think you're right, I'm pretty sure I had the SLC's and they were white with greeny writing on 'em. (The choice at the time was TRC, SLC or KVC IIRC)
ski holidays
FunkyDunc, I would hazard a guess that your met green rossi sl skis would be the 4S
snow conditions
My first pair, back in about 1981, was a pair of blue Rossis 175s, with Salomon 747s. Caber boots.
1982 - They were replaced the next year with some Dynastar Omesofts, 180s. Really loved them and had them for a few years. Salomon S71 boots, absolute rubbish.
1986 - Next were some of the black and grey striped Rossi 4Ss, great ski when you were fresh and fit.
1988 - Had some Kastles for one season, not very memorable. Salomon SX91 Equipe - excellent boots.
1989 - Bought some K2 Gyrators, wanted an easy ski to help me through my BASI training. They broke and were replaced by K2. The second pair delaminated so I glued them together and gave them to a friend - lasted a few more years.
1990 - Pair of pink Volkl P9 RS (185) with Marker bindings. Great ski, used it for years.
1991 - Working for Ski Thomson so provided with Atomic GS skis. Can,t remember the number but they were purple and white. Couldn't turn them at first but learnt to love them by the end of the season, they would track through anything.
1992 - Provided with another pair of Atomics, not in the same class as the previous ones. Bought myself some Volkl P9 SLs (the dark grey ones).
1993 - Another pair of Atomics, again with VAR bindings. Pair of Koflach boots - very stiff until I doctored them. Then I put the foam liners from 1991 into them. Fairly comfortable - I still use them!
1994 - Some Atomic cap skis, same as Dynamic VR27s I think.
1995 - Volkl P10 SL - brilliant ski.
1996 - Volkl p10 SLC (190).
2001 - Salomon Xscream 9 (down to 169). Still using them but would love some Rossi B3s if my wife would let me.
2002 - Salomon Seek 152 (snowboard!).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy