Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
IncogSkiSno, Late January and most of February is likely to be very snow sure, to be honest what often happens is that they get massive snowfalls just before the Lauberhorn Race (causing it to be cancelled) or just after (when the race was called off due to poor conditions) it was this early season unreliability that caused them to install lots of snow making machines, I've had poor snow (thin in places) at Christmas on several occasions but I've always been able to ski there, I've never lacked snow in early February, best week is the week before half term, usually excellent snow and no one on the mountain except at weekends
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
D G Orf, Thanks for that advice, that's certainly worth knowing. The snow surety was making Zermatt more favorable. Would Murren be a safer bet for snow, it sounds really nice but I'm not sure about ski area for us (Intermediates after lots mileage but keen to try anything within reason). Also I notice in the Swiss Travel Brochure that lessons in Wengen are for 3 hours, is this just the morning then?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IncogSkiSno, Murren is a safer bet for snow in December but not once you get to mid January, though Murren will have deeper snow it makes very little difference once a decent snowbase is down.

I'd say that you might find Murrens ski area a bit limiting and would enjoy the wider pistes arround Wengen more

Lessons at the ski school in Wengen are indeed just in the morning, although you can of course book privately for the afternoon.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
D G Orf, I actually like the idea of lessons in the morning, it leaves the pm free to go exploring or have snowboard lessons Very Happy

Is there more than one ski school, if so, is there one that you'd recommend?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IncogSkiSno, yes there is, the Swiss Ski School do group lessons in the morning and private in the afternoon, The Privat Ski School unsurprisingly just do private lessons, of the two in general there's little to choose between them, I know of people who've used both schools and have had good lessons, however the privat school does have a good reputation though they are often booked up as they're much much smaller.

I think if it were me (and I've no intention of taking up snowboarding) I'd have group snowboarding lessons and a few private ski lessons, private lessons can be quite good as you can agree to meet the instructor near the top of the mountain so don't loose out on expensive lesson time, typically meeting at one of the numerous restaurants
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, I'd like to do the group ski lessons for the social aspect, and I only intend to have the snowboard lessons towards the end of the holiday as I am accident prone when it comes to boarding, though we may have one or two private ski lesson as a top up. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have now looked at the brochure, and if possible if we do go it'll be 20 - 26 Jan or 27 Jan - 2 Feb as you can get one night free for these dates. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IncogSkiSno, I'd choose the second week I think, but don't ask me why as I have no idea Confused Gut instinct possibly wink

Which hotel would you stay in ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, Well nothing certain on dates or place as yet, I was drawn to Wengen/Murren when I first read about them. Are one of those weeks one of the ones you'll be there then? We will definately try for the Alpenrose. What else would you recommend if this is not available - must have good food!?!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
IncogSkiSno, Early Feb is usually good arround Wengen, you tend to get good snow and uncrowded slopes which is a perfect combination.

Which other hotels are in the brochure and in your price bracket ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well that was an interesting holiday!

Got back on Saturday from a week staying in Interlaken (which means we arrived on Day 1 of the rain). Very strange experience - the first we knew of a problem was on the Monday evening when some people eating at the table next to us explained that they couldn't get back to Grindelwald. The rain had been bad but honestly hadn't seemed that bad - we'd spent all of the Sunday walking around Lake Brienz and had got soaked but nothing worse that that.

Went exploring around Interlaken on the Tuesday morning and saw the water at Ost as well as the flooded river banks. Then decided to head up to Wilderswil to see how things were up there. As I think someone mentioned the Interlaken bypass(?) was deep under water in places and the bank alongside the railway had completely gone in one place. A large section of the motorway was also covered with earth and rock etc. Wilderswil was pretty bad near the station - mud everywhere, maybe 5 or 6 inches of the stuff in some people's gardens. The rail track was buried in mud as well and trees and branches were caught under the trains.

Things seemed to be claming down by the Thursday so we went to Grindelwald on the local bus. The pictures on here look bad but don't quite capture the devastation of the route up from Zweilutschinen. 2 bridges were gone (one on the main road) but there were loads of places with track dangling in mid-air. It must have been absolutely terrifying for anyone in the area at the time. Grindelwald itself seemed unaffected - we went up to Bort (as far as we could get) and then walked down from there.

On Friday headed up to Wengen and beyond. Very odd contrast with the Grindelwald road as there was little sign of damage - there were signs in places that the river had overflown and some mud but very little else.

This was our first trip to the area and I'm sure it won't be our last. Despite everything we had a great week and the scenery was absolutely stunning. Very impressive.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf, Falken(this looks like something that the Adams family would stay in),Bellevue, Belvedere,Eiger, Siberhorn, Sunstar, Wengener Hof & Beausite Park is probably too expensive!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno, Bellvue is another hotel with a bit of a hike but is supposed to be reasonable to stay in, I think I'd avoid the Falken still as there's still a lot of work that needs doing there to bring it up to scratch, The Belvedere is a very big hotel and a few people have told me that it can be quite impersonal, the Eiger is ok I sometimes stop there for lunch if I've skied down to the village at that time, the Silberhorn is another big hotel and whilst I'm not overly keen on it I know many people who enjoy staying there, both it and the Eiger are virtually next to the station but don't wory about noise as there isn't any, the Sunstar is supposed to have good food but is a bit more up market, the Park is very upmarket and again should have good food, I've never eaten in the Wengenerhof nor do I know anyone who's stayed there I'm afraid
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, Where does everyone gather after the last run for early Apres?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IncogSkiSno, any one of several bars, there's a small bar under the Silberhorn that's nice or the Chillis bar on the high street is quite fun, I usually go up to the DHO hut before dinner as I'm a chap skate, there's even a bar on the nursery slopes, also down at Innerwengen or at Almend station before the last gentle ski back to the village, or even up at Kleine Schidegg, there's no one place that's more popular than the others
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, The Falken is very charming !. Really enjoyed a week their last year, reasonable well situated.
snow report
srobbo, I thought the pictures of it looked creepy, old and dark urgh
snow report
IncogSkiSno, Traditonal ?
Has a lot of character, rooms are a reasonable size, food is good, small bar (good barman, Terry, (Aussie !)) Piano player most night's which is a bit unusual.
latest report
I've stayed at the falken many times in the past, although not recently. Although a little tatty round the edges it always had a very warm and friendly atmosphere and was likened to Fawlty Towers! It may be different now Frau Cova is no longer around.

I have very fond memories of the Falken - being bitten by the big Old English sheepdog that hated children (Junior I think it was called). Being forbidden to go on the balconies by my parents as they were so unsafe, standing in the hotel lounge as the wind made the door slam and the glass smash all over the floor around me... Those were the days!
snow conditions
srobbo, yes the Falken has improved but being honest it's still not up to the same standard as many of the other hotels, I expect it to be better still this season but one can never be certain, it certainly has atmosphere and at least the roof no longer leaks, but it does need more work, the piano player is not there for the whole season though if I understand things correctly, he's damn good though, certainly worth a trip up to their bar one evening.

I'd not call it creepy but it's definately old fashioned, Frau Cova who ran the place passed away a few years back and sadly her son passed away very soon afterwards, the last time I enquired her daughter who already owned Sinas Pub and the Pizzeria had managed to persuade the banks who hold the mortgage to let her take over, this all happened in the early winter, by the following summer the roof was being completely replaced (only about 10 years late) so the tales of bowls on the floors to catch the drips need no longer to be told, I also heard that they had either repaired the balconies or were planning on doing so (some of them used to be tied on with rope !). My mother stayed in the Falken on one of her early trips to Wengen in the mid 1950's and tells the tale of how she and her friend left the windows open one night because it was so stuffy, only to wake up in the morning to find an icicle hanging from the tap ! I think if they carry on doing the same sort of improvements to the hotel that they have been doing then within a few years the Falken will once again be one of the nicest hotels to stay in in Wengen (not the most luxurious or fanciest but nicest)
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, As a whole the region is (look at stats on SCGB site,) but Murren is higher so has a better depth of snow all season.
latest report
Power cut on the WAB between Grund and KS. My parents were stranded just above Alpiglen, having missed the connection at KS. They've been promised a taxi once they can get the train back to Grund!!
snow report
Its a FACT....the snow level in Murren is much better than Wengen and you can ski ALL season back to the village.

D G Orf, Can you in Wengen ?
ski holidays
Why are so many people brain washed on Wengen Puzzled snowHead snowHead must be the low attitude
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
Why are so many people brain washed on Wengen Puzzled snowHead snowHead must be the low attitude

Laughing Laughing [/b]
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, I can't remember the last time I couldn't ski back to the village though it was touch and go in the early winter of 2000/2001, I've never had a problem in February
snow report
D G Orf, ok,i thought it has always been touch and go even with the snow cannons.

Picture of Wengen from Winteregg in Murren March 03

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/598/cat/500/ppuser/95
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, yes you get grassy patches appearing on the south facing slopes, but the piste back to the village is much flatter than the exposed slopes in your picture and genrally retains its snow, one of the worst spots for losing snow cover is just below the top station of the Innerwengen lift where the piste narrows and it gets worn off, but on the whole since they got the snow cannon on the lower slopes they've been able to maintain good coverage on the lower runs
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, fair doos. snowHead

I hate viewing my pictures of Murren as it makes me want to be there NOW
latest report
Chris Brookes, oh yes I know that feeling Sad
ski holidays
Just wanted to say "Hi". I've been reading this thread ever since the flooding in the Jungfrau region started hitting the news. It's terrible and I hope they manage to get everything sorted out soon. I've visited the area many many times both in the summer and winter, I hope all will be ok by January when I next go. Knowing the Swiss I'm sure they will sort everything pretty quickly.
ski holidays
LemonJelly, Hello welcome to snowHead 's.
snow report
LemonJelly, welcome !!

Where do you stay in the region ?
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:
LemonJelly, welcome !!

Where do you stay in the region ?

Hi,

When I was younger we stayed in Interlaken during both the summer and winter. Strangly we stayed at Manor Farm as it enabled us to go skiing for 2 weeks for a stupidly cheap price. Those little static caravans are surprisingly warm in the winter. These days we prefer staying in Grindelwald and we normally stay in the Hotel Derby.

I have some pretty nice pictures from 2003 if you want to see them.
snow conditions
LemonJelly - welcome to snowHead 's - another convert to the Jungfrau cause - can snowHead 's get some commission from the Swiss tourist board Laughing
snow report
LemonJelly, welcome to snowHeads snowHead (and especially the Jungfrau appreciation society wink )
latest report
Thanks for the welcomes guys Smile

Here are some pics from the last time I went boarding and skiing in 2002/03 - Linky.
snow report
LemonJelly, Your pictures are really very good, are you a keen photographer?
snow conditions
LemonJelly, welcome to snowHeads and thanks for the pics, nice one of the lake by the way
snow conditions
LemonJelly, Very good pic's, welcome to snowHeads
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy