Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
Richard it's the ideal location for intermediates, lots of red (intermediate ) runs and some nice long easy blues, I'd suggest Wengen for atmosphere but Murren has better snow depths, though not as good access to the whole ski area, Lauterbrunnen is only any good if you're on a tight budget as the accomodation is cheaper there and I'm not a huge fan of Grindelwald as it's not as quiet as Wengen.

Note if you're going for the apres ski this region is not brilliant, there are a few bars in Wengen and a couple of small club type areas but the place is not going to make it into the good club guide.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 6-12-11 17:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you decide on Wengen let me know as I can suggest several places to stay and one or two to avoid Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wengen sounds good, the idea of no traffic on the roads sounds like bliss to me. I'm not bothered about apres ski (highly unusual as I'm only 23!) as I find myself too tired after a days skiing.

Thanks! snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Let me know what sort of accomodation you are after and I'll suggest some places to try.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Somewhere preferably Half Board as I know food can be very expensive in Switzerland.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Actually it's not as bad as people seem to think, however depending on your budget you might like to try the Hotel Baren 2* but supposed to be good food (the locals use it), The Bernerhof 2* cheaper than most with I'm told passable food in the center of the village, The Alpenrose 3* (my personal favorite) very good food and plenty of it almost the furthest from the village center and with a walk up the hill it's not for everyone but well worth the effort , The Schonegg very good food and almost in th ecenter of the village, The Regina 4* but a bit more formal, food supposed to be good though, The Caprice 4* and expensive, supposedly they are trying for a michellin star but I'll believe that when I see it.

Go to http://www.wengen-muerren.ch/ and then the Wengen section to check out prices at the different hotels, if you do decide on the Alpenrose though, say I sent you and ask about rooms in the chalet which are sometimes a little cheaper you just have to walk across a courtyard to get into the hotel proper.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It hardly needs saying, but Wengen is somewhere every skier has to visit at least once. It has a stupendous mountain backdrop, and the unique mountain ride through the Eiger.

Snow can be thin at times, so choose your moment. There is little advanced skiing, but the resort has huge charm, and the long intermediate runs are a real pleasure.
Linked Grindelwald has lots more skiing on 'First' etc., and there is the excellent day excursion to Murren by train.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gods David, don't tell them all, it was bad enough having to wait in line during this years half term, if they all come out it will be impossible, there will be 5 year waiting lists for hotels if YOU suggest such a thing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well all I can add is that Wengen is by far my favourite resort. I love the peace and the stunning views, and the skiings rather good as well Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seeing as Richard has already been there and that we have now been moved to the resorts section I suppose I should add a link to the site that Richard originally refered to http://uk.geocities.com/david.orf@btinternet.com/Jungfrau_Pages.html if anyone has any recomendations about any of the resorts in the area or comments about places to stay or eat etc. please feel free to send them to me so I can carry on updating the site Little Angel
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A few snaps from Easter 2001 here (nothing has changed in the past 3 years!)

http://homepages.tesco.net/~mmikee/wengen2001/wengen2001.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah but picture no.15 is wrong, it's the Hotel des Alpes and the Monch the eiger being just out of shot to the left Razz

Your right about nothing much having changed, though the Hotel Falken has had a new roof fitted, which I'm sure will please it's guests who have been known to find little puddles in their rooms previously, and a couple of new chalets have been constructed but that's about it snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well done David - first prize for attention to detail! Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I know the area pretty well by now, I even know some of the people in your DHO race pics Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello DG you forgot to mention that if you are good they now serve scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast in the Alpenrose. This must be classed as the major change in Wengen this year!
snow report
Riverman to quote Paul von Allmen, "I will never serve scrambled eggs for breakfast" However he was doing a nice line in FRIED eggs and bacon before I left, that bacon was beautiful as well freshly cut every morning .... Now if only I could manage to get back there again this season .... Ah well Sad

By the way if you have ever seen the pasturised egg mixture that is used in the catering industry to produce scrambled eggs you'd understand why they appear as they do Mad
snow report
Crying or Very sad Sitting here, wanting to be in Wengen Crying or Very sad This is the first year in about 6 that I haven't been there, and it looks like the only time I'll be able to get out there is Easter.....not too sure if I'd be more likely to be walking that skiing then Wink
snow report
Well they have plenty of snow at the moment with 10cm of fresh powder last night and the long range forecast predicting more snow next week, conditions are supposedly excelent so easter should be ok.... probably Confused
snow report
D G, thanks for the advice on the hotels, I'll definately keep the Alpenrose in mind.

I was thinking about going in April 2005 but because of the unreliable snow cover during that month I think I'll wait until the year after and go in late January.

Until then I'll look forward to Sauze D'oulx in a few weeks time and Fernie next January! snowHead
ski holidays
double posted by mistake! Confused

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 27-02-04 17:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Richard best time is usually just before or just after half term snow is at its most reliable and the lift queues are fairly small, be sure to avoid half term week if you value your sanity Laughing
latest report
2 weeks to go Razz Very Happy
ski holidays
Lucky fellow, where will you be staying ?
ski holidays
All this talk of seeing Wengen is making me pine for it again, and I only came back from there about three weeks ago. How will I ever last until next year. Crying or Very sad

Having said that, of course, three weeks is a long time for skiholics!!!!!
snow conditions
Don't know Anne you could always try what I've done before and go out again in the summer or maybe next year go twice snowHead
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
Lucky fellow, where will you be staying ?

Back to my usual bolt-hole at Chalet Primula this time. I love Wengen in the spring - nice long days and no queues Smile
ski holidays
Like I said before lucky fellow snowHead
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
Don't know Anne you could always try what I've done before and go out again in the summer or maybe next year go twice snowHead

Well I would if I had enough Holiday, I obviously take too many holidays because I nearly always manage to use up my quota. Depressing when one needs another dose of one's favourite Ski resort. Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well Anne you could always find a job that gave you longer holidays I suppose ?
snow report
No I just like taking holidays at various times of the year. I do get 4 weeks plus Christmas off!!
ski holidays
Well what can I say to that, I see Wengen still has some good snow snowHead
latest report
Nice for those who are still out there and for those who will be going there. Smile Smile
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
A few snaps from Easter 2001

That don't look like no Telford...
Seriously, nice pictures. Eiger takes my breath away every time.
snow report
Relieved there is still good snow, came back early feb and it took 2 days for me to book to go back again. Couldn't bear the thought of nothing more until next winter so am going back in 11 days. snowHead
snow report
Have a good time sparrow.
snow conditions
Spoke to a friend of mine who lives in the village this morning. It's been snowing on and off for the past couple of days. Mild temperatures, just above zero in the village, good snow cover everywhere. I'll be there in a week's time Very Happy
ski holidays
Currently contemplating going in 2 weeks.....what's the snow forecast like?
snow conditions
Well they've had 10cm in the last 24 hours and it's still snowing this morning long term forecasts are notoriously unreliable however they do predict some more snow in about 10 days (take with a large pinch of salt) and reasonably cold weather for the same period so baring disasters you should be fine, where are you planing to stay Elizabeth B ? and Telford Mike ?
ski holidays
I usually stay with a group down in Lauterbrunnen (in the hotel/chalet place opposite the church/horner bar on the corner - name escapes me). Need to check availability though.
latest report
Well if you change your mind you coulod always try the hotel Alpenrose in Wengen, I definately reccomend that if you like good food, by the way it's a 5 min walk up hill to the station in the morning but you can take the trolley up for no extra charge which is good if you're wearing ski boots, or if you hire skis and boots out there change in the store (I'd suggest central sport in the high street) anyway have fun you lucky thing Razz
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy