Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, looking for advice on buying ski boots. Been skiing for about a year regularly in snowdome + 1 holiday, intermediate level skier. Ive had a lot of issues with rental boots, (numb toes and chafing/grazing inner ankle/leg). its hard to find boots and shoes that fit well as I am female with mens uk11 shoe size. Budget is £250ish which i admit is a little on the low side but it is what it is

I have been looking online at Ellis Brigham MK, snow and rock Hemel and Lockwoods in Leamington Spa.
I did also consider solutions for feet in bicester but unfortunately they are out of my budget.

All 3 stores involve travel so was looking for opinions on these 3 stores before i book an appointment. Any advice / opinions on the best place to go?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Vinara, Between the 3 probably Lockwoods as they might have more experience with modifying cuffs for female calves. Which you might need if you're not in a women's boot. But I think everyone would say you probably need to develop some flex on budget because it might be that e.g. a custom footbed is key to getting a good fit.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Vinara, if you have "had a lot of issues with rental boots" you will likely have a lot of issues with off the shelf boots based mostly on budget.

Lockwoods have a good rep and I am sure they will find a boot that fits best given the constraints but you may not get the outcome you hope for.

I would imagine at this time of the year they will have a limited range but yes I would imagine at sales prices.

The cost of boots over their lifetime is not that great when you consider what they can give you so worth considering if you can find another £250. Also better to go when fully stocked.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vinara wrote:
Hi all, looking for advice on buying ski boots. Been skiing for about a year regularly in snowdome + 1 holiday, intermediate level skier. Ive had a lot of issues with rental boots, (numb toes and chafing/grazing inner ankle/leg). its hard to find boots and shoes that fit well as I am female with mens uk11 shoe size. Budget is £250ish which i admit is a little on the low side but it is what it is

I have been looking online at Ellis Brigham MK, snow and rock Hemel and Lockwoods in Leamington Spa.
I did also consider solutions for feet in bicester but unfortunately they are out of my budget.

All 3 stores involve travel so was looking for opinions on these 3 stores before i book an appointment. Any advice / opinions on the best place to go?

Thanks!

I agree with the other comments. £250 might get you a pair of boots off the shelf, but that pair of boots might be was bad as the rental boots you have had problems with. If you can stretch your budget by another £250 or so, you should be able to get a pair of boots that are guaranteed to fit because when you pay for a fitting, you are not just paying for someone's knowledge to get you in boots that are roughly the right size - you are also often paying for a fit guarantee and aftercare. You don't know if a boot truly fits until you've spent a week in it. I had issues with fitted boots so I took them back and had some adjustments.

My advice is to wait. You might as well keep using rentals until you're in a position to get boots that definitely fit. So my advice is to wait and to save up to be able to get them done by a fitter who will provide aftercare. Sometimes a fit guarantee is time limited (e.g. you get free adjustments for 3 months). Therefore, the best strategy is to get some fitted a few weeks before you go away, try them for a day in a dome or on a dry slope to see how they fit, take them back before you go away if if you have any issues and then see how they hold up over a week long trip.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am not sure where you live but Sail and Ski in Chester were pretty decent to us and reasonably priced. Missus in particular loves her boots compared to the issues she's had previously.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have had 2 pairs of boots since 1995. Rented the first time I went in 1994, and then got a pair of boots moulded soles. After a week, I took them back and got them heat stretched a little in a couple of areas. Strangely these boots were stolen, nothing else was taken after 10 years of use.

The difference between rental boots which were hell in my first week, to boots tailored to your feet is enormous. Especially when learning, when on top of sore feet you will be falling over and getting up a lot and sometimes getting frustrated.

The point I am making is live a little, increase your budget.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Vinara, a few things to note

your budget is very tight, i would hang off until you can save a bit more, as a few people have said closer to £500 as you need to allow for a footbed and possibly some other modification work (even then that is at the low end of what we do, but we are not the place for everyone)

you state you are size 11 shoes, please get your feet measured properly on a metric measurer for ski boots, for example i wear an 11uk shoe, but the ski boot i am in would be listed as a uk 9 (if ski boots were listed that way, they are not, its a conversion and a terrible one at that) only the CM size matters and even then you may go down from that size depending on the volume of your feet and a whole heap of other criteria
you haven't mentioned your height or body weight, this will be pertinent in selection of the flex of your boot, don't fall into the trap of buying the softer flex as it is cheaper, you need something that works with your body weight and skier level and that you wont "grow out of" after 2 weeks of use

one thing worth mentioning is there are NO mens boots, only womens and unisex boots, the difference being the womens boots tend to be softer flexing, different colours and most importantly have a slightly lower cuff height to them, pretty much every single model on the market shares the lower part of the shell as it is too costly for them to make gender specific lower shells, the women's boots may have more insulation in the liner or some extra padding around the Achilles to change fit a little..... now, with a size 11 foot i am going to hazard a guess that you are not 5'6" or less so it is likely that the unisex boot will be just fine in terms of cuff height and shouldn't need any modification for the calf muscle

the key is get measured carefully, both seated and standing, have your range of motion assessed and then try some recommended boots, if it feels loose ask to try the smaller one, or one with less volume, ski boots aren't meant to hurt you but they should be a pretty firm fit in the store as they will pack out and get looser with use

good luck in your quest

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 24-05-23 11:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My first pair of boots I purchased from Horace Barton & Son in Cheltenham in 1995. They did not have a large range of boots, but they did have excellent customer service. They are still operating there. I also hired a sporran there once as I forgot to bring mine.

Second pair I purchased in Perth, Scotland about 2005. I think it was Craigdon Mountain Sports, but they do not appear to have a shop there anymore. (in Perth). Fitted footbed and boots in shop, no further adjustments required boots have been excellent since purchase. Off the shelf things fit me better now as I am fitter (although older) and thinner than I was in 1995.

I think people who buy boots more regularly might be able to give you more recent advice.

A picture of my current boots....

https://nis.nikonimagespace.com/html/guest/en/detail.html?g=FoP1YTjKujGzAomEh5OwHH4Rz9n5XJUrne5ZHZITX7KRHZDSDsPUYiT3krkiqaaK2NyWwSQt9A8TWPYk3I8UsA&r=0#i/6
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bigtipper, craigdon still have a shop in Perth, they moved round the corner a few years ago
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bigtipper wrote:
My first pair of boots I purchased from Horace Barton & Son in Cheltenham in 1995. <CUT>

A picture of my current boots....

https://nis.nikonimagespace.com/html/guest/en/detail.html?g=FoP1YTjKujGzAomEh5OwHH4Rz9n5XJUrne5ZHZITX7KRHZDSDsPUYiT3krkiqaaK2NyWwSQt9A8TWPYk3I8UsA&r=0#i/6

Is that Nevis Range ? - looks beautiful snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@albob, I keep my boots locked up now, so you cannot steal them. Why you want my old boots I do not know, they are unlikely to fit!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boot fitter in the North East / North Yorkshire???
I had my boots fitted at Ellis Brigham Castleford & I've been very happy with them, I'm now looking for some for my daughter who lives in Whitby (miles from anywhere) are there any other places between Leeds & Newcastle to recommend?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tangowaggon, Glide and Slide in Otley ? -- I think Frazer Shand still works there
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tangowaggon, this place gets recommended another hours drive from Whitby though.....

https://rivingtonalpine.co.uk/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albob wrote:
@tangowaggon, Glide and Slide in Otley ? -- I think Frazer Shand still works there

Yep, Frazer's yer man.
snow conditions
Hello All. So I am trying to get my head round buying my first ski boots. I am 186cms 87kgs with 110mm across the metatarsals. I have been taking larger hire boots to accommodate the 110mm. But I am looking for a proper fit for the coming winter. I realise I will need to see a boot fitter to get them stretched etc. But I was looking at the vast array of boots and was wondering how much can boots be safely widened to fit across the widest part. Do I need to be only looking at wider boots 102mm last only? Thank you in advance.
ski holidays
@dynastar84, The best advice we can probably give, is point you in the direction of a Bootfitter, if you say where you live - or highlight what ski resort you are going to, if that is your preferred option.....And let the expert you see, take it from there.
snow report
Hampshire. Val Thorens.
ski holidays
dynastar84 wrote:
Hampshire. Val Thorens.

From previous threads:

https://www.zenith-skishop.com/bootfitting/

Tom and Gavin @ The Boot Lab in Meribel....if that is an option.

https://www.solutions4feet.com/
latest report
If Bicester is too far then try Bartlett's in Hillingdon.
ski holidays
@dynastar84, 110mm width is subjective, if you have size 5 feet it is massively wide, if you have size 11feet its just a little bit wider than average

next question is how have you measured this? have you measured for the first metatarsal head diagonally to the 5th metatarsal head or have you drawn two parallel lines and measured straight across between them (the latter is how the boot manufacturer determines last size, the former is how most people including many ski sops measure, we like to take both when we are dealing with a very wide foot)

further consideration then needs to be taken for the flexibility/pliability of the foot, a good footbed is designed to support the foot and reduce excessive spread (both length and width) so when the foot is supported it may be narrower, also consider that everyone has a different tolerance to fit tension (compression) some folks you can barely touch the foot others prefer a vice like grip around the foot

BUT 100% the most important thing is the get the fit around the heel and ankle as close as you can and then worry about the forefoot...... it is easy to make the front of the boot wider, it is a whole lot harder to make the back of the boot narrower, with most of the 102mm lasted boots the heel is also made wider in proportion with the forefoot, what this generally means is unless you have a foot shaped like a breeze block the heel is likely to be too wide, there are exceptions but there is no point talking about them as if you fixate on a model due to one fit aspect you may miss out on the best boot for the foot shape and ability level.

back to the original question..... How much can they be safely widened across the forefoot? with the correct tools and knowledge more than most people will ever need to worry about.... 6-8mm per side is simple, so much more is possible, for example adding 6mm width to the medial side and then a 6-8mm bunion as well is not an issue 12-14mm just out one side of the boot is a big stretch but again, unless there is something extreme going on with the foot it isn't going to be needed , the key is selecting plastics that will deform how you want them to and then heating them in the correct way to get a uniform even stretch
ski holidays
Thank you all for the replies.
snow conditions
My feet are 270mm long. 110mm parallel lines wide. So I have been taking uk size11 in resort for comfort and now knowing it is quite sub optimal, it's time for a better fit. I think the rest of my feet are (normal) so no breeze blocks! Normal width ankle etc. Great to know the info to put my mind at rest. I think a September visit to Bicester is the priority.
latest report
Some feedback from a recent visit to Ski racing Supplies in Killamarsh near Sheffield.

Found the fitting experience very good - its not a ski shop as such - a modern little unit tacked onto where the family live I think.
Although they do have bits and bobs for sale like socks , helmets etc - I think a lot of what they sell is via their webshop and post.

Olly is a former ski racer and accredited masterfit bootfitter. Had all the kit but perhaps not enough stock yet (we went in August )

I took my wife as she has had two pairs of boots so far and neither were right . And she is a nervous skier only coming to the sport later in life (aged 40 - now 51) so anything to give her confidence is worth spending time and money on.
Her first ones were fitted at a ski shop in Sheffield about 8 years ago .
My wife has very narrow ankles and really they sold her a boot which was too big and tried to add foam padding around the heel...They were never quite right.

Second pair we tried Rivington Alpine near Bolton .
Better than the first shop and a few hours fitting - "seemed" better than the first pair but in subsequent years - and following an ankle injury in 2020 - it was clear they were still too loose at the ankles.

We went to see Olly to find out if he could re-shape her existing boots (99mm last dalbellos) but after a lot of measuring and checking he said they were just too roomy from the off at the ankle and difficult to do much there .

So he sorted her some 97mm last Lange boots (same length and flex) and from the get go they were much snugger around the ankles.

He then fettled her existing moulded footbeds by adding a flat heel piece (and shaping accordingly) . And he added some extra padding either side of the shin on the lining to further force back the heel of one foot.

He did not heat and mould the liner - he said to try them as they are since her feet are so narrow - any moulding may have lead to looser fit.
If she still has any issues (and we go skiing at Xmas to find out) - we can go back and look at either foam liners or zipfits.

A very personal service - like I said its not a shop as such so no other customers distracting us.

I will now book my kids in to get theirs fitted at ski racing (they are 16 and 20 so can now justify buying their own boots) but he said to wait until maybe November when he will have a larger range in - we got lucky he had the lange on stock.

I had my boots fitted by Keith at Solutions 4 feet in Bicester - they are excellent and their reputation is well justified.
They sold me my second paid of boots after a rubbish first pair sold to me by snow and rock - I think until you get a really well fitted pair of boots - it can be hard to know what the correct fit should feel like - S4F said its like a firm handshake at all points of the foot ... I can ski in my boots virtually unclipped they are so snug . Can be a little painful first thing - they are possible slightly too narrow - but one run and everything is fine.

I would say S4F are probably the better fitter and would be an easy pick if close to where you live (especially if you have weird shaped feet) but its a 3 hour drive from my house in Sheffield to Bicester compared to 30 minutes to SRS ...

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Olly if you are nearer to him than Bicester.
snow conditions
Anyone know of somewhere that has fischer touring boots on sale? They`re about the only brand fit me and struggling to find any at my size 27.5
snow report
@Deedee, where you live? any brand fits you (more or less) if the heel's tight enough just maybe needs a bit of work...
snow report
@sheffskibod, I'd have got the zipfits straight away. They only get better with wearing. Your wife's are only going to get baggier with wearing
ski holidays
@sheffskibod, I'd have got the zipfits straight away. They only get better with wearing. Your wife's are only going to get baggier with wearing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mother hucker wrote:

Would have done that there and then but he didn’t have any in stock …will see how she gets on at Xmas (10 days) and then re-assess.
snow conditions
sheffskibod wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

Would have done that there and then but he didn’t have any in stock …will see how she gets on at Xmas (10 days) and then re-assess.

interesting, currently we are the only ZIPFIT stockists in the UK, so unless that has changed in the last 4 weeks i would love to know where they are being acquired
snow report
@CEM, ski barletta, ski exchange and profeet all have in stock, not sure exactly what they've got in stock though
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
@CEM, ski barletta, ski exchange and profeet all have in stock, not sure exactly what they've got in stock though

odd pairs of off models, none of them have ordered liners from zipfit for the last 3 years
latest report
@CEM,
Quote:

none of them have ordered liners from zipfit for the last 3 years

As a matter of interest, why's that?
(PS Got a lesson with Rob next week, first outing for my 'injected' Zipfits. No news will be good news! wink Very Happy )
snow report
@Mother hucker, "ski barletta"? I presume you mean "Ski Bartlett"? Laughing
snow report
sheffskibod wrote:

I had my boots fitted by Keith at Solutions 4 feet in Bicester - they are excellent and their reputation is well justified.
They sold me my second paid of boots after a rubbish first pair sold to me by snow and rock - I think until you get a really well fitted pair of boots - it can be hard to know what the correct fit should feel like - S4F said its like a firm handshake at all points of the foot ... I can ski in my boots virtually unclipped they are so snug . Can be a little painful first thing - they are possible slightly too narrow - but one run and everything is fine.

Very similar story for myself too. Keith also adjusted my missus boots that Colin fitted for her.

I'd go there every time if I'm in the UK.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, change from an agent to dealing directly with the company, and the price going up
latest report
@CEM, ah, right.
ski holidays
@cem

So if my wife needs Zipfits I have to come to S4F ?

Or it just costs me more to go to SRS?

As it is 34 mins instead of 2 hrs 34 mins drive , I can weigh up the pros and cons...

Apologies if I have muddied the waters.
snow conditions
@sheffskibod, now you are confusing me, as far as i know no other retailer in the UK has ordered any zipfit for the 23/24 season (i know this was 100% accurate in May when i was at the factory), the prices have been going up year on year, we held them for as long as we could, the product in europe costs €375 + VAT (which is not shown if you order on line as you will get billed for that as the product enters the UK) we are currently charging £330, they would like us to be more expensive but i firmly believe that there is a limit on the price of these things so we take the margin hit and keep the price where it is, (and also will not export the liners) in the USA it is even more (as is all ski equipment as it has to be shipped half way round the world), and as they are selling more liners every year they have no inclination to make it a lower price
latest report
@cem Well maybe SRS has confused me !
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy