Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
Being re-written.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 14-06-09 13:52; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER, So I shouldn't just pick the cool red ones with the go faster stripe then??? * Laughing Laughing

*female equivalent: "the pretty blue and white ones that match my skis"
(Takes cover.....)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AxsMan, how did you know I got blue and white boots, they definitely don't match my skis though. (Tecnica Attiva Flame).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, I'm your secret stalker Embarassed Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks SMALLZOOKEEPER, I look forward to part two
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what would you say to someone (not me) who wants to buy a pair of boots that are the same size as his old ones, so he doesn't have to get his bindings adjusted?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lazy NehNeh
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I just spent two hours fleshing this out, and lost it all! Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gutted!!! Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SZK, I'll look forward to your follow-up. So far, I'm with you and agree completely. It will be interesting for me to see if you dive into some of the physiological differences that can cause issues with some people in some boots or not, since I think that's an area of vital importance that's been missed for many years.

BTW, so you don't lose it, you might want to edit it in an editor of some kind (Microsoft Word, Notepad, or TextEdit, depending on your preference) and save it to your computer periodically.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
New boots may be required

From October i send most of the day in wellies so by the time sking comes round my feet have lost all their shape ie. no arch.

It take a couple of days to get feet back in to shape with the use of my heat molded inserts fit.

So is it better to get new boots fitted before, during, after sking (for say a week) or during the summer when feet have returned to normal shape from working in boots.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ntfarmer, you could get some foootbeds to use in yer wellies too.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ntfarmer, sounds awful! I agree with marc gledhill that a nice support in your wellies is appropriate.

That said, I like to get fit into boots when my feet are at their most relaxed. As a result, I tend to do it in the morning and after a time when my feet haven't been too stressed by standing for long periods, etc. But, I have fairly strong arches (although not really "high"), and those do get "worn down" over time. Since I tend to put my boots on in the morning and stay in them all day, I want them to hold me comfortably in that "neutral" position.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
my other problem (one of meny) my feet are very wide. The left being of the scale. how limiting is this going to be when it comes to choice. As i have not had to buy boots since the last set have lasted 14 years.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ntfarmer, it will limit your choices, for sure, but there are a number of brands and models what will still work for you. The key is finding someone who knows how to match the shell shape to your foot before they start (as SZK mentions above).
latest report
I live close to salisbury in Wiltshire.

Any ideas of good boot fitter close at hand.
latest report
ntfarmer, there are plenty of places to get more wellies round there but for ski boots CEM up in Bicester isn't too far away.
snow conditions
thanks i will try and get in contact with CEM, Very Happy

hopefully he way do inserts for wellies as well. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
ntfarmer, you might be out of luck with getting hold of him, I think I read somewhere he was on the road for a week or 2.
latest report
its still a couple of months before i go sking so will try later to contact him/her/it
snow conditions
Found it, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=10307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=28040 , about a 3rd of the way down the page, back in 3 weeks.
snow report
Cem will be around now and again I'm sure Toofy Grin
latest report
ntfarmer, you rang Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

we can do inserts for all sorts of shoe / boots

i am sure we can sort out some nice shiny new boots to put em in as well, drop me a PM or call me after the 27th and we can talk more
snow report
Hi CEM.

Thanks i will give you a ring when your back. i will send you a PM for your number

Thanks
snow report
I too spend a long time in wellies (I live on smallholding). I am interested in the comments about feet changing shape - even through the day and the concept of orthotics (which I imagine are some form of arch support) that can even be added to wellies! I didn't even know feet could change shape in such a short time. I have horrendous problems with getting shoes that fit - being most comfortable in a size 7-7.5, EEE width fitting. I also have what I'm going to call a 'high instep' - the distance from where the distance the laces are on a shoe to the bottom of the foot is seems larger than most 'fashion' shoes allow. This means that I have a problem turning my foot through the acute angle required to get most everyday boots on - I also have a double problem with fashion boots as I have a larger lower leg! Would I get any benefit from inserts for my welly boots, and although I'm going to hire again this year as I'm still carrying 'L' plates on the slopes, when I do buy ski boots in the future will I experience any problems finding something appropriate or will a bootfitter be able to sort me out?
snow report
I have recently bought some second hand boots. They are a nice tight fit. I am not sure how to guage wether they are too tight. I have been wearing them for periods of an hour every now and again around the house to check and recheck that they will be OK for longer periods of time.

I suppose my question may seem a little daft concidering I have already bought them, but, are boot inners universal or should you only ever where the inners that come with the boots themselves? The thinking behind the question is simple (if not unguided), If they are a little too tight could I not buy a "slightly" thinner set of linners?

Thanks

Ginger.
latest report
Hi all,

This will be my 4th trip skiing this year, and as such I have decided to buy some boots, and possibly Skis. I'm going to Les Gets in February, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good shop there for boots? Alternatively I will be in Worcester over Christmas, if anyone knows of anywhere near there that would be good for boots? (I live in Jersey, so ski shops are a little hard to come by!)

Thanks

Dave
ski holidays
I am in the middle of buying a pair of ski boots. I have size 4.5-5 feet but they are wide. I have been recommended a pair of boots that are size 7.5. I am worried that they will be too long and I will not have sufficient control. Any thoughts please? Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
they';re too long. go to see someone else
snow report
Earwig, Welcome to snowHead
Looks like they are trying to compensate for width by going too long agree with NBT go somewhere who understands how to fit boot
snow report
Can anyone help?

I bought my ski boots on saturday, they were perfect in the shop, took them home and tried them on and still they were fine. But last night I tired them on and after a few minutes my feet started to hurt a bit, is this normal?
ski holidays
vernz1983, where did your feet hurt?
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, its like a numbing sensation, but mainly on my right foot on the top?
latest report
vernz1983, kinda going across the foot, just above the arch?
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, bit of both to be honest.
ski holidays
vernz1983, what insoles/footbeds/orthotics* did you get with them?

*please note, for any pedants reading this, that I have used a variety of terms there, all/none of which could be correct, but sometimes it is better to use a term that the reader will understand, rather than the technically perfect term which may not be understood
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, I didnt get any, the boots are custom mould anyway? http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/701515%7C%7C@cSki%20Boots@bNordica%7C0%7Cuser%7C1,0,0,1%7C8%7C
ski holidays
vernz1983, ah, ok. That could be where the problem is - custom mould only deals with the side/top of the foot, and the leg. It doesn't do anything for the bottom of the foot, which is where you will want support.

What I'd suggest you invest in is these:
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/704009||superfeet~@c~@b|0|user|1,0,0,1|2|
or these:
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/704004||@cFootbeds|0|user||10|
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, But they will just push the foot up, so it will hurt more?
latest report
vernz1983, ah, no, the first thing to do is to take out the existing insole - you'll find that is pretty close to being a flat bit of material, maybe 5mm thick.
If you were to stand in your bare feet on that insole, you'll see it's not supporting your arch or your heel - push down, and your arch will just fill in the gap - slide your heel to the side, and your heel will slide.

What the footbeds do is provide support for your arch and keep your heel in place. The lack of support for your arch is a strong contender for the pain you are feeling.
Now, apart from the area around the arch and heel, the front section of the footbeds will be roughly the same thickness as your current insoles, so your foot won't be pushed up at the front, and all you'll have further back is support where you currently have none.

Does that make sense?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy