Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A beanie that's safer than a helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
This is a great read.

Keyboard warriors.... have a look here first:

Have a look here: (the hammer test is fun!)
https://www.youtube.com/@antiordinary35

This is a good video for a more detailed look at it all:
https://antiordinary.co/welcome/

and here:
https://antiordinary.co/safety/

I'll give a few more details next week as I should have one arriving soon.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I officially look 98.2 per cent crap in a beanie. If they would do it in the shape of a tweed flat cap I would be 57.8 percent happier.

Meanwhile, back in the land of head injury research, we still need to be as concerned about rotational brain injury as we are about impact injury.

I guess if this encourages someone who never wears protection to use some, then that’s good.
But if it encourages someone to discard their MIPS equipped helmet and wear this instead I’d be concerned.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@valais2,

Quote:

and here:

Why not find out?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
flangesax wrote:
This is a great read.

and here:

Hmm, that 'welcome' video set my cowdoo radar off... Lowers the centre of gravity?! Feels a bit weird at first and then feels like nothing?! The amount of fussing he was doing on the video tells me that he's had to persuade a lot of people that it's better than a normal helmet.
Very interested to hear some honest comparisons from people here!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@olderscot, when I last checked, some years ago I admit, ski helmets were not supposed to be worn after a knock. Has that changed?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Thomasski,
it lowers the centre of gravity compared to wearing a larger helmet.... not as tall basically.
This is something that is commented on for freestyle.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flangesax wrote:
@Thomasski,
it lowers the centre of gravity compared to wearing a larger helmet.... not as tall basically.
This is something that is commented on for freestyle.

I would have thought the centre of mass would be more important than the centre of gravity?

I can't see any weights for the helmet anywhere to see whether this is at all relevant anyway...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That whole CoM CoG argument is spurious at best when you consider the amount of weight added to the other end of the equation for a skier or snowboarder.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jeez... you lot...
tilt your head when wearing a helmet.
tit your head when not wearing a helmet.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
flangesax wrote:
Jeez... you lot...

Yes the concept is simple, but if the helmet weighs more than a normal one then being 5mm closer to your head isn't helping. It's like advertising a car with 400bhp and not mentioning it weighs 700kg more than it's competitor that has 350bhp... Marketing people like to play with stats, and this guy in the videos strikes me as a salesman above anything else.

I could be totally wrong, happy to concede but I don't think I'll find one in the shops to have a look at. I'm definitely interested in a full review from someone on here!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarlet wrote:
@olderscot, Those definitely exist, my partner has one. No, you can't wear a hood, but you can wear a beanie. Unfortunately, I don't think you can even change the cartridges yourself and have to send them back once used, but if they came up with a reusable/refillable version (see www.restube.com for another small inflatable, albeit more like an airbag with a handle) it would be more attractive.

They went bust! Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flangesax wrote:
This is a great read.

and here:

Following Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax wrote:
Jeez... you lot...

tilt your head when wearing a helmet that looks like a beanie, that’s of unknown weight…

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 28-01-24 14:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hyst, ye what now?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The hammer test Shocked
ski holidays
Remember Ribcap? https://ribcap.com/ You never see them on the slopes but they started promoting to skiers. They now style themselves as 'Protective Medical Helmets. Prevent Injuries With Style' Laughing FFS! I think this new beanie will go the same way.

Being pedantic for a sec, Antiordinary cannot be any % 'safer' than anything else because any form of head protection is exactly that - protection - and how protective it is (or indeed isn't) depends on the particular circumstances. The standard tests measure protection. Safety is a behavioral thing and the majority of head impacts are pilot error - in other words, nobody else involved. Cut out the pilot error and you might be 90% safer.

Too many people are too easily gas-lit by claims and 'stats' and 'studies' and get sold stuff they simply don't need. Goretex would be one example, MIPS another, and we have all seen people with expensive air bags but otherwise no clue. Dynastar once put a red blob on the end of their skis and everyone bought those too, including me.
ski holidays

Inside and outside, with the beanie off.
Beanie on.
The whole thing is flexible.
The non Newtonian material appears to be the red stuff, which is soft to the touch.
Presumably in a crash the red dots become rigid, making the helmet stiff.
It's very comfortable.
ski holidays
@joffy69, How did your hammer test go?
snow conditions
OK! So many questions:
Does it feel hot?
Is it weightier than a standard helmet?
How would your ears fare in the cold?
What's the fit like with goggles?
Do you have to make the chin strap tight or uncomfortable to 'snug' the helmet onto your head?
ski holidays
Honestly I feel like this is worse than a normal helmet.
If you want Steeze, get a bright pink melon on your Dome.
ski holidays
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
Honestly I feel like this is worse than a normal helmet.
If you want Steeze, get a bright pink melon on your Dome.

Worse? Why? If it is safer* and more comfortable then is that a negative thing?

*definitely arguable at this point
ski holidays
@Avabrunch, as a user of DH rigs, enduro bikes, skis and being a climber I can tell you - having had rotational brain injury - MIPS is based in solid evidence….
snow report
Ok as a few on here know I'm not a great helmet wearer, unless if I'm skiing on piste at busy periods, or La Grave big days.

So I've been testing one the last few days and the jury is still out.

A couple of photos from today, and we'll be doing a review once my daughter, who is the target audience (sitting in the middle) as opposed to a "Boomer Groomer" like me wears it Laughing

snow conditions
Travis rice was wearing one of those in his natural selection heat.

https://www.snowsbest.com/travis-rice-beanie-helmet-anti-ordinary/?amp=1
latest report
From their website:

"How do we stack up to the industry? Well, we can't say definitely because no other helmet company actually releases their drop test data".

Their safety claims are based on the fact their helmet is overspecced for the tests by 32% and the presumption other helmets are only built to exactly pass the test. I would be pretty confident in saying the vast majority of helmets are overspecced for the testing. But probably why their legal team added the key words "up to".

But that's part of the big problem with helmet testing. As a manufacturer you know exactly what the tests are. Want to make the lightest helmet on the market that passes all the safety tests? Put a load of foam where you know they will test the helmet and good luck if your impact is anywhere outside the testing area!

So passing the standard safety tests (even by 50%) does not necessarily equal a safe helmet. You could argue that dropping a weight onto a helmet doesn't even really reflect the type of impacts in skiing/snowboarding. The point mentioned above about rotational impacts has merit (but I haven't looked at the mips research enough to really comment on it's effectiveness).

Thanks to a much bigger focus on brain injuries in sport I suspect we will see much more research into helmet design and testing in future. It needs to move away from simply hitting a hard object won't cause a fractured skull (current testing) to how do we reduce risk of concussion.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, it looks a lot less low profile than I thought. I'm not sure it's for me, especially as it looks a little lacking in ventilation.
snow report
@Legend., not dropping a hammer on my nice new helmet (and it is a helmet). I'm on the SFaB for my first (and last) turns of the season. It doesn't feel hot at home, but I've not used it in anger yet. I was interested to read on another thread (not sure which) that most deaths while skiing are "young" males on blue runs going over 30 mph and hitting stationary object (trees). I doubt any helmet is going to protect from that.
ski holidays
Thats the thing. What sort of a crash is a helmet really going to be useful for? Have you seen "The Crash Reel"?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FWIW the Beanie helmet is a fair bit heavier than my wife's new Scott Blend helmet with the integrated visor which is a really nice piece of gear, and if I went down the helmet route that would be my choice, mainly because goggles with a helmet tend to aggravate my sinuses, and the total weight of the Scott with the visor is so much lighter than an ordinary helmet.

The Beanier helmet does seem that it could take quite a substantial hammer blow better than the Scott however?

First and foremost the Beanie is about looks n'style, something that maybe is not too high up the average SH's list of priorities especially when it comes to shelling out €220+ on a helmet etc - but the average SH is not the target audience.

Think we're talking more Shoreditch Hipsters and wannabe Travis clones Laughing

One sort of testimonial to its looks is that a few days ago I walked into a small Cafe and an ESF instructor was coming out and she got me very confused with someone else thinking I was this other guy, who I presumed must wear a Beanie and goggles, so she obviously didn't realise it was a Beanie helmet ?

And yes @SnoodyMcFlude, no vents, that said I was not too bad temperature wise and believe me it was very very warm when I was riding with it recently.
snow report
Quote:

Think we're talking more Shoreditch Hipsters and wannabe Travis clones

I only half read the thread and wondered at first why anyone would want to be a clone of a bang average early 2000's band, who were themselves a bunch of Radiohead clones. ..
snow report
My wife bought one. She’ll get to try it out next week. It doesn’t look like a beanie straight out the box, more like a helmet with a beanie skin. I will endeavour to submit her feedback
ski holidays
@Weathercam, did you buy it, or was it a freebie in exchange for a good review? NehNeh
snow report
I'm confused - isn't it a low profile helmet with wooly cover? And very limited ventilation?
snow conditions
As I alluded to the helmet is aimed at a more style conscious skier/boarder who is not too bothered about weight/ventilation.

Hence the whole East Coast Beanie look, with some not even doing up their chin straps!

@boarder2020 like I said, the jury is still out on it, as I've mentioned it's not really for me, and we were joking this morning when I went out with it still snowing that I would certainly not be wearing it in those conditions, maybe for good you (?) that's if you've decided whether you do actually ski or board Laughing
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
As I alluded to the helmet is aimed at a more style conscious skier/boarder who is not too bothered about weight/ventilation.

Hence the whole East Coast Beanie look, with some not even doing up their chin straps!

@boarder2020 like I said, the jury is still out on it, as I've mentioned it's not really for me, and we were joking this morning when I went out with it still snowing that I would certainly not be wearing it in those conditions, maybe for good you (?) that's if you've decided whether you do actually ski or board Laughing

It's a bit emperor's new clothes - it still looks like a helmet to me.
Buyer - Look at me I'm so cool skiing in a beanie!
Everyone watching - why has that person put a wooly cover on their helmet?
snow conditions
@jedster, yes does look that way TBH

However I've been getting various comments, negatives from mainly an older SH type demographic and the opposite from younger peeps.

I actually asked one guy I know well running a restaurant as I walked in wearing in, and he was trying to be polite, and I said, be honest, do I look stupid, and he said yes Laughing

That said I could take photos of so many occurrences of people wearing helmets and looking stupid as well Toofy Grin
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
@jedster, yes does look that way TBH

However I've been getting various comments, negatives from mainly an older SH type demographic and the opposite from younger peeps.

I actually asked one guy I know well running a restaurant as I walked in wearing in, and he was trying to be polite, and I said, be honest, do I look stupid, and he said yes Laughing

That said I could take photos of so many occurrences of people wearing helmets and looking stupid as well Toofy Grin

Fair point!
snow report
valais2 wrote:
@Avabrunch, as a user of DH rigs, enduro bikes, skis and being a climber I can tell you - having had rotational brain injury - MIPS is based in solid evidence….

The jury is out from what I have read - here's just one https://helmets.org/mips.htm#:~:text=Summary%3A%20The%20MIPS%20company%20holds,bringing%20alternatives%20to%20the%20market.

I can't see how it works any better than any other smooth skinned helmet on a slippery surface like snow and ice. Plus ski helmets have other paraphernalia like goggles and goggle straps, camera mounts and those fluffy ears - all items likely to have a braking effect on the snow surface and set up a rotation.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
The Beanier helmet does seem that it could take quite a substantial hammer blow better than the Scott however?

It might, but can your brain?
latest report
jedster wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

It's a bit emperor's new clothes - it still looks like a helmet to me.
Buyer - Look at me I'm so cool skiing in a beanie!
Everyone watching - why has that person put a wooly cover on their helmet?

Indeed.

Dont buy this, just stretch a neoprene headwarmer over your own helmet - you will look just as much of an eejit, but have a couple of hundred quid extra in your pocket..................
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy