Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A beanie that's safer than a helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
I know anything about helmet or head safety is always a bit controversial, but saw this pop up on my Facebook feed. A beanie that's 32% safer than a helmet... apparently. Haven't had a chance to read properly yet, as I'm out skiing at the moment but thought I'd share in case it was of any interest

https://antiordinary.co/product/v2/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apologies if it's already been shared
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And 100% more expensive than a helmet?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Even more than that!! Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think it's a helmet with a beanie cover!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No chinstrap therefore not safer
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CathS wrote:
And 100% more expensive than a helmet?

Cheaper than some, more expensive than others so not right to say more expensive than a helmet, rather more expensive than some helmets.

Nice to see someone challenging the norm.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gordyjh wrote:
No chinstrap therefore not safer

But it does have a chinstrap, it's one of the main items they have under features Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also, it’s only “safer” than the cheapest, most basic helmet.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
32.4% safer ... haha. That's a strangely precise number for something that is almost impossible to quantify.

Does look pretty neat though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Non-Newtonian Materials (patented) - WTF?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stevew, why not?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From their text “This helmet is so comfy……”. It’s a helmet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevew wrote:

That's the stuff that goes hard on impact. Much like D3o armour and the many many other types in protective equipment worn for MTB/motorcycling etc etc. I'm sure they have their own version.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevew wrote:

It's how the materials flow under strain, Newtonian materials have a straight stress/strain curve, wheras non Newtonian materials have a curved stress/strain curve, rather like rising rate suspension on cars & motorcycles. The material will deform easily to start with, but get progressively more resistant.

Take a rubber band and stretch it, at first it appears to be a linear stress/strain curve, but as the polymer chains straighten out, the band becomes increasingly difficult to stretch.

Non Newtonian fluids can also go the other way and get less resistant as strain is applied, molten polymers are an example of this.
ski holidays
But I expect the beanie is still as hot, sweaty itchy & uncomfortable as a helmet Very Happy
ski holidays
Custard also has non-newtonian properties, do you think they just filles it with custard?
latest report
tangowaggon wrote:
stevew wrote:

It's how the materials flow under strain, Newtonian materials have a straight stress/strain curve, wheras non Newtonian materials have a curved stress/strain curve, rather like rising rate suspension on cars & motorcycles. The material will deform easily to start with, but get progressively more resistant.

Take a rubber band and stretch it, at first it appears to be a linear stress/strain curve, but as the polymer chains straighten out, the band becomes increasingly difficult to stretch.

Non Newtonian fluids can also go the other way and get less resistant as strain is applied, molten polymers are an example of this.

Thanks for the rational non-judgemental explanation, never heard the phrase before and thought it was marketing speak
snow report
Very Happy
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Custard also has non-newtonian properties, do you think they just filles it with custard?

Yep, definitely custard Laughing we've a "custard" differential in centre location on an old 4wd transmission. Very clever device.

"Dilatent" I believe is the property demonstrated by this material field. Movable when at rest, but with transfer to more solid when moved quickly. Plain cornflower mixed with just enough milk to bring liquid state will demonstrate this in a glass and using a teaspoon.

The opposite is "Thixatropic" as demonstrated by non drip paint, transfer to liquid as you shake it, shifts to thicker when undisturbed.
ski holidays
I don't see how it won't shift and slip, or press onto the top of the goggles. There's no adjustable perimeter band that I can see, if they're relying on the chin strap to pull in the occipital cup (for fit) then it's just going to fit like a riggers helmet - not comfortable at all, especially with the weight of that non-newtonian outer...

Would love to try one out, there must be more nuance to it.
latest report
Also

http://youtube.com/v/Iz9KnPZWOgs?si=SxL2W9HmNTTscXrl

Very Happy
snow report
reminds me of Trotters Crash Turbans.
ski holidays
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
reminds me of Trotters Crash Turbans.

Funnily enough, humour follows fact there. At the introduction of motorcycle helmet law in UK the Sikh community successfully campaigned for exempt status as it would mean removal of their headwaer to facilitate, which they have controlled by religious belief.

And so, you can ride a motorcycle, legally still I believe, while wearing a turban in place of a crash helmet.
snow report
Nowt but pink available in large anyway. Would go with my cricket top but not my skiwear...
latest report
@UtahGetMeTwo, Laughing
snow conditions
Having “fallen” for their patter I shall provide a report shortly. Due to arrive on Monday.
snow report
joffy69 wrote:
Having “fallen” for their patter I shall provide a report shortly. Due to arrive on Monday.

Really interested in how you get on with it!
snow report
It looks an interesting option rather than just a curiosity.

There's, now teenage years, lad in my locality both mentally and physically impaired that wears a soft head protector. Quite tall now and at risk from hard surface pavement, furniture etc. It's made significant difference to his risk and promoted much more activity by making practical improvement in risk of injury.

Some time ago on here there was a view given "tell me what impact you'll be expecting to your head, then I'll tell you which protector would be most suitable " which I thought was a lucid view.
We are used to helmets being hard-ish shell in conventional approach, along with more crushing etc protection within that. Obvious advantage in some impact type and covers broad risk. But with soft type used for example in rugby, it's interesting to see a choice of this type for skiing etc with opinions of this also of interest in the practical use of it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski_free wrote:
32.4% safer ... haha. That's a strangely precise number for something that is almost impossible to quantify.

Does look pretty neat though.

I bet they are using the "Anti Ordinary Test Report" and then have tested a sample of other (cheap I suspect) helmets and then used their made up %age numbers to justify how its "up to" 32.4% safer... as you say - numbers that could be made to probably say what ever you want and no real meaning

Looks interesting and the use of the technology is clever
snow report
I always wondered what happened to the inflatable helmet idea. I had to do a search to find it and for a while I thought I must have imagined it.

Sadly it's not reusable which makes it unsuitable for skiing (at least for me). And I guess it wouldn't work under a hood.

http://youtube.com/v/Q47nzyBrENM
ski holidays
Well I've signed up to their mailing list... as a relatively recent helmet wearer, (bullied into it by my family), I would dearly love this to be as good as it makes out...
latest report
@olderscot, Those definitely exist, my partner has one. No, you can't wear a hood, but you can wear a beanie. Unfortunately, I don't think you can even change the cartridges yourself and have to send them back once used, but if they came up with a reusable/refillable version (see www.restube.com for another small inflatable, albeit more like an airbag with a handle) it would be more attractive.
ski holidays
What does it “improve” over helmet?

The main complain about helmet I hear are: 1) it’s too hot, 2) it’s heavy, 3) it’s uncomfortable 4) you can’t stuff it in the pocket when it gets too hot…(I guess that goes back to 1)

1) This contraption doesn’t look to have much ventilation. So 1 is seriously suspect.
2) Is it lighter? It didn’t say. I would have thought they highlight it if it were significantly lighter?
3) That’s their main claim. However, most people who bother to spend the time, can easily find helmets that fit quite comfortably. So it’s trying to solve a problem that doesn’t really exist

I’m willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. If it’s indeed ‘better’, I’ll be buying one when my current helmet, which is quite comfortable, needs replacement.
snow report
@abc, steeze. It's about people who want safety of a helmet but not the look.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@olderscot, Those definitely exist, my partner has one. No, you can't wear a hood, but you can wear a beanie. Unfortunately, I don't think you can even change the cartridges yourself and have to send them back once used, but if they came up with a reusable/refillable version (see www.restube.com for another small inflatable, albeit more like an airbag with a handle) it would be more attractive.

The Hövding helmets are one use and bin them jobs. I've seen one go off, whilst my wife was wearing it...
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:

OK, I miss that “improvement”. Yes, if you want to look outdated, get a beanie looking helmet! Laughing
ski holidays
joffy69 - ditto. Mine on way too... but contacted them as they dont have contact in Europe (well in Val anyway) and said 'could I have a play with one' so they have agreed to send me one to try out.
ski holidays
looks good, but where does the go-pro sit Very Happy
snow report
Bit tricky fitting the visor to go over my glasses as well Toofy Grin
ski holidays
abc wrote:
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:

OK, I miss that “improvement”. Yes, if you want to look outdated, get a beanie looking helmet! Laughing

Shocker, certain fashion doesn't suit everyone rolling eyes NehNeh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy