Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
There was some amazing skiing yesterday but care was required with quite a lot of slabs going. This one is very sad...

https://www.thelocal.ch/20190115/swedish-skier-killed-in-avalanche-in-swiss-canton-of-valais
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/fumjpHQSwUc

More here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3341351#3341351
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, that snow did look nice !!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm out tomorrow to Les Collons for 8 days. Not bothering to pack my pure powder board but fingers crossed for some some decent fresh midweek! Either way, the pistes look to be in great condition snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Forget pistes. The off piste possibilities will be sensational this weekend!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH, any tips for Sunday? I had presumed everything safe would be tracked out!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@leggyblonde, mais non! We will be headed for Mont Gelé couloirs and backside Mont Fort (with short hike onto the glacier to get the freshies). From Les Collons consider the Etygeon itinerary (traverse hard right for the freshies). If you have skins there are also some nice tours which will be in condition with the cold temps. A good one is off the back of Mont Fort ending up at the barrage des Dix from where the bus takes you back to les Collons. There will be tracks but there’s a lot of space. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@leggyblonde, Skied Les Collons today and the conditions were great. A bit busier than in the week but mostly locals today.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Beautiful afternoon in the mountains

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
More here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3344507#3344507
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fab conditions and touring is on. More here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3345377#3345377
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@leggyblonde, hope you had a good first day. We came back via Les Masses yesterday and noticed that there is a lot more snow in the Verbier valley so definitely get yourself across if you’re looking for powder
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, thanks, yesterday was just cruising with the holiday people but today a couple of us checked out L'Eteygeon and there were some still some good tracks to be made. We will head over to Verbier one day this week for sure
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Conditions remain stunning. It is absolutely freezing. - 14 at Atelas, but it’s keepiing the snow sensational. No one whatsoever around. Did mouches to Veysonnaz today and didn’t queue at all.
snow report
Out on Saturday, reasonably excited wink
snow report
Snow and cold temps in the forecast. There are going to be some epic fluffy powder days next week...

latest report
Just booked some cheap flights into Geneva, 31st March til 4th April and considering a return to Verbier, having not skied there since breaking my femur on the slopes in 1993!

Searching this thread, then the hotel A Larze seems to be recommended, that's coming in at 640CHF for a double room for 4 nights, got a few questions Smile

is that considered cheap by Verbier standards?
Is there enough restaurants locally to eat out for 3 nights? Perhaps one night in Verbier and get the bus down.
Is there likely to be queues in the morning to get the cable car over to Verbier?

Lastly my wife has always fancied doing a bit of ski touring, could anyone recommend a guide/instructor? Depending on conditions we'd like 2 days with a bit of skinning up and some decent descents, which I guess in April could be spring snow or powder, either of which would be spot on!

cheers,

Greg
latest report
Nice first day back in Verbier, so good to be back after too long away.

Very chilled day skiing lac des Vaux and then La Chaux before heading to Tzoumaz in the afternoon and playing off the sides. Nice restaurant Le Patrouilleur for lunch which seemed decent value by Verbier standards. The La Chaux Chondola broke down so not sure how long it was out of action for, got a feeling it was a while but it wouldn’t have been nice being stuck on that this morning.

It’s officially hosing it down now and we’ve booked Powder Extreme tomorrow so fingers crossed it should be a good one Very Happy
ski holidays
@Guernseyfreerider, good timing! Guess they’ll take you to Bruson tomorrow and up top for the big routes if the sun comes out on Tuesday. Should be a couple of top days!!! Have a mate called Martin on the Powder-Extreme camp this week. Say hello if you meet him.
snow report
@kitenski, Will leave @SteveSparks or @Rungsp guide you on the scene in Le Châble. The bus down works well for nights out in Verbier. There won’t be queues for the bubble midweek in April. Recommend Powder-Extreme for guiding - they have a female guide called Giulia Monego (ex FWT rider I think) who a female mate used recently and liked. If your accommodation is cancelable and our place doesn’t get booked up you can use it for cheap during the week.
snow report
@BobinCH, That’s the plan wink

We’re not doing the camp just doing a day and will probably do another later in the week, original plan was to heli but just don’t think it’s worth it with what’s in store
ski holidays
https://www.powder-extreme.com/giulia
snow report
Guernseyfreerider wrote:
@BobinCH, That’s the plan wink

We’re not doing the camp just doing a day and will probably do another later in the week, original plan was to heli but just don’t think it’s worth it with what’s in store

Let us know who you go with. You won’t need to but the Petit Combin heli trip is quite cool if you fancy it. As is parapenting down to Le Chable with Fly Verbier!
snow conditions
@kitenski, 80 CHF per pax per night seems pretty reasonable and we”ve had mates who”ve stayed there who rave about it. Plenty of dining options in Le Châble. Le Gietroz, Le Cantaloupe, Café de La Place, Le Couloir.

We queue less frequently to get on the gondola than they do in Verbier. Shouldn’t be an issue.

If you want to ski the glaciated terrain backside Mt Fort, you will need to speak to the Guides de Verbier.
ski holidays
@Steve Sparks, thanks, do the likes of Powder Extreme guide into the glaciated terrain?
ski holidays
A classic day of anti gravity submersion therapy. wink

Our instructor was ill but we got a very good replacement in Caroline from Performance, top skier and great company.

Our ‘warm up’ run was Fontanay to Le Chable, never done it before, beautiful hero snow pretty much all the way down and then it was over for a day in Bruson. First time for me over there too, loved every minute of it, we didn’t even bother with lunch. Will definitely try and get back there this week now we know where we’re going.

Tomorrow hopefully Gele will be Open so plan is to get up there first lift and get into all that untouched fluff snowHead
latest report
@Guernseyfreerider, that’s a top effort for a first day on skis!

Looks like it’s pretty good up top too...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtLsU_KHmrB/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=rbjkavsuz613
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, Tell me about it, a proper warm up would have been nice but it was straight into it! So pleased to tick the Le Chable run off the list just a really fun little adventure. Must be plenty of cold smoke/face shot videos out today, it’s just nice to actually get out here and do it rather see you take all the glory wink
snow conditions
Stunning Bluebird Day, the plan was to get up Mont Gele early but unfortunately a late night put paid to that. We played around the sides of Lac des Vaux this morning which was great fun and then finally headed up Gele just before midday. Very little had been skied on the front as obviously people were heading for the longer lines off the back. When we got up naturally there were tracks everywhere but after following the itinerary down a couple of hundred meters there was an excellent line virtually untouched and we couldn’t believe our luck. I bumped into a guide lower down who did the same and we were laughing about it.

We headed down to Tortin for lunch and then back up to Mont Fort. We then decided to do Stairway, gave the little couloir a miss at the top as it looked a bit sketchy. It was very nice all the way down although I was a bit shagged after lunch and Stairway and didn’t ski it great.

Last run of the day back up Tortin and up Mont Gele to do one of the Coulouirs in the middle (don’t know what they are called), very nice too although my middle aged legs were shot by then.

Lovely snow down on the way down to the piste to Ruinettes.

Looks like there’s still lots of good stuff out there and there was some quality skiing on show as there always is when that big boys and girls come out to play. Hopefully get the chance to ski some couloirs over next couple of days.
latest report
@kitenski, it’s been a controversial point, but regulations introduced a few years ago restrict the areas those with Brevet Fédérale can go and exclude all glaciated terrain. So it's guides only on the glacier backside. The front is a piste.

Lovely day yesterday. Mouches to Etygeon and back for greppon, vallon d”arbi and playful lines in Savolyeres on the way back to Verbier. Fresh tracks in Fontenay at 4pm, two minutes from a lift. Who says Verbier tracks out instantly?
latest report
For what it’s worth, the standard backside Mont Fort routes get well skied, have low crevasse risk and relatively straightforward route finding. IMO, in good viz and stable conditions, an experienced off piste skier can ski them without a guide. I’d say the crevasses are bigger on the front side and under the cables is at least as steep as the chimneys. Highly recommend exploring this area as the skiing, views and sense of freedom are fabulous!
ski holidays
Low viz and snow for most of the morning. We stayed low and played around the side from Attelas to the bottom of Mayentzet lift. The snow had done a good job of filling in a lot of the lumps and bumps and was wind blown but good fun. After a great lunch at Dahu we went back up to Attelas as the cloud started to break. Gele opened but it was getting late and we gave it a miss, there was really good accumulation to skiers left from the top of lac de Vaux with quite a bit untouched so we just kept doing lap after lap, cold deep light snow even with the odd face shot thrown in. Amazing how even three or four good turns can make for a great day. snowHead

Out tomorrow with Johanna from Performance
ski holidays
Great day.

Viz was sketchy first up but we headed straight up Gele for our warm up run and skied a lovely line into La Chaux, lovely deep powder but could have done with a normal warm up to be honest Shocked

The plan was Vallon d’arbi next but lac de Vaux was so good that we did two laps on the line above the bottom of the chairlift, great snow. I retired from jumping about 20 years ago but couldn’t resist doing a baby drop to the side of a boulder which was fun, unfortunately I thought
I was on the same line second time around but sent it off the top of the Boulder, a very respectable 7 footer but not quite what a 48 year old punter with a knee brace was looking for, I wound the windows down and exploded everywhere. Thankfully no damage done but anyone filming that will have won £250.

Vallon was superb, still cannot believe there were no tracks in there when we went, amazing hero fluff, just perfect.

Next up Col des Mines but the Savoleyres trees were too tempting so we dived into another untracked line there and back up again.

The sun had come out fully for Col des Mines, it was a case of pick your spot...

https://twitter.com/andreaustin1/status/1091041641949999105?s=21

Quick stop for lunch and then another Gele skiers right into lac des Vaux, the front couloirs were wind blown but it had all collected in the corner and it was deeep.

Then it was up to Mont Fort, top was closed so we headed to Barry’s Bowl. We thought it might be wind blown but it was lush, deep and plenty of untouched.

Legs were pretty much done so we cruised a bit and went for a drink at 1936.

Cannot recommend our guide for the day Johanna Obermoser enough. She spent two years with Powder Extreme but now works for the sister company Performance. There are levels to this game and she is right up there, gun skier and great company snowHead
ski holidays
Sounds like a great trip, do you have a contact for Johanna Obermoser please?
snow report
@kitenski,

https://www.performanceverbier.com/verbier-ski-instructors/18409-2/
snow report
Last day today Sad

It snowed most of the day, skied Savoleyres trees to Tzoumaz all day, heavy snow but good fun. Can only imagine how good it will be up top when it all opens up.

I’ve been lucky enough to ski nearly 60 resorts around the World and this is still the best, won’t leave it so long to come back next time.

Look forward to following the adventures of @BobinCH & all the regulars, the best thread on here. Enjoy the rest of the season everyone lucky enough to come out here. snowHead
snow conditions
@Guernseyfreerider, haha glad you enjoyed it. You certainly got a snowy week! Just braved the carnage on the roads to get here and will be aiming for the first cabin on the Funi in the morning. Suspect it will be busy!!!
snow conditions
This is hilarious...George Osborne bought a place in Verbier a couple of years ago, and today it gets written about in the Times.

This quote had me in stitches:

"The three-storey property is near Sir Richard Branson’s luxury lodge and a short walk from the main lift station and après ski scene at the Big Ben pub."

Big Ben....the chances of him going in there?

As an aside I met an old work acquaintance in Verbier last year, haven't seen him for years...he said to me:
"I wasn't sure who you were at first, I knew that I knew you, I thought that you were George Osborne at first"
ski holidays
Another 20cm overnight...

After a bluebird day let us at the steeps yesterday. Started in the Attelas couloirs...

Then went rock hopping off Mont Fort

Popped my B52 cherry
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy