Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
After a sensational 2017/2018 what does 2018/2019 have in store?

Looks like temps coming down this weekend after the Indian Summer. Before the snow clouds blow in here’s a few last Summer pics...

Where it’ll start - Lac de Vaux

Attelas couloirs

The view into town from Rock’n roll

Bit warmer than last year!

Bike park, Bruson and Mont Blanc in the background

Vallon d’arbi

Other side of the valley - the scene of the big avalanche last year. Sober reminder to stay safe out there.

Marmotte’s are hiding. Means snow’s coming in October...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 11-10-18 21:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BobinCH wrote:
...After a sensational 2017/2018 what does 2018/2019 have in store......

Well probably not exactly what you had in mind Toofy Grin

Verbier brings fresh Alpine air to Liverpool FC
Verbier is partnering with Liverpool Football Club to promote itself more specifically in the European and British markets. Through its sponsorship of the Premier League club, which earned its place in the European Cup final, the Swiss ski resort will seek to increase brand visibility and position itself as the leading Alpine destination amongst new markets & oiks"

Verbier has signed a partnership agreement with Liverpool FC for a period of four years. This collaboration will allow the resort to communicate winter and summer holiday offers, as well as information about the region, helping to put the Swiss ski resort on the map for LFC fans.

PS How's the knee doing?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep that LFC tie up is a weird one... the “Liverpool week” in January should be interesting!

Knee was coming along fine until I tweaked it again a couple of weeks back. Hopefully just a blip. Back out on the bike this week which is great. Thanks for asking!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
? Line jumping privileges for anyone who can talk credibly about Joey Jones or Ray Kennedy?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, have got some GVA flights booked for a shortish long weekend 22-24 feb with my lad , think you place is week only at that time , any recommendations for hotel in town for a 2 night stop , also recommendation for return transfers , want to make the most of limited time on slopes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dabber, the train is the most flexible transfer service, drops you in Le Chable and then cable car or bus up to Verbier. Simples.

Plenty of hotel options in Verbier, depends on your budget, if it's tight, don't forget Le Chable, much better value for money and only 8 mins from Verbier by cable car.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Steve Sparks, cheers , not a budget trip so town centre preferable , will look at train option , cheers
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dabber, alas yes that’s half term week so think we’ll be using it (or holding out for a week booking). The W is really nice, although might be pricey at half-term. Farinet has nice rooms. Hotel de La Poste is in a good location...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobinCH, no worries , w is not realistic , will check the other two cheers , have a flexible booking that can be cancelled at the central hotel as a back stop , maybe see you on the slopes Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
some nice options in nandaz , what the access into the ski area like from there ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dabber, I think Cordees des Alpes is the nicest hotel in Verbier.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dabber wrote:
some nice options in nandaz , what the access into the ski area like from there ?

Nendaz access is terrible! Best from there is get the bus to Siviez but will be rammed at half term. Central Hotel looks like a good option - get out early and you should be fine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH, sorted now , got a couple of rooms at the post hotel , as the rooms at the central were on the first floor right above the t bar Twisted Evil probably not the best way to make sure were on the first lift , so the post hotel seemed the like the best option price and location wise , looking forward to a couple of full on days Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Yep that LFC tie up is a weird one... the “Liverpool week” in January should be interesting!

Lots of curly wigs and shell suits eh? eh? Calm down calm down. Laughing Laughing

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seems odd to me. Not sure Verbier needs putting any further on the map.
snow report
As an ex season ticket holder who was in Kiev this year I would have to say that the demographic they are aiming for is confusing !!!!!!! Will be out to Les Collons next month so hoping good weather continues for hiking but this has been such a warm summer I am getting a little concerned. Still having snow in the garden at the end of April was so amazing last year hoping for a good early start.
latest report
Hi, could anyone tell me if there's anywhere that shows the 6 nations rugby in Verbier, and if there are any late buses to take me back to Le Chable afterwards, i have a bus timetable and unless I'm reading it incorrectly there are a couple, up until 0030. Alternatively a venue in Le Chable would be equally good. Cheers
latest report
In Le Chable the bar called Le Couloir usually shows it
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:
In Le Chable the bar called Le Couloir usually shows it

Much appreciated.
snow report
@Evanesther, Farinet South Bar or T Bar near the Place Centrale both show the rugby. Last bus 00:30 as you already worked out
latest report
Thanks for the info guys. Could I ask two further questions, what is the best way to get from Le Chable to Thyon/ Veysonnaz. Bus all the way or part snowboard part bus? And are the key linking drag lifts there long and steep? Cheers
snow conditions
@Evanesther, it’s a loooong way by bus. I would board across unless you really struggle with drag lifts. There is one long poma lift (Greppon Blanc) but its not particularly steep
snow conditions
Hello! Jumping into this thread! We've found an cheap ski in/ski out apartment in the Bruson area. What is like around there? Easy to get to main ski area? Are there eating and drinking places around?
snow conditions
Pub Mont Fort used to show the rugby.
ski holidays
@Evanesther, I suppose you could get the train. Le Chable - Martigny - Sion. But then you would have to get the bus to Veysonnaz and they are not exactly hourly. As @BobinCH, says much better to ski/board over. Just watch the timings of the last lifts so you get back ok.
snow report
surferrosa wrote:
Hello! Jumping into this thread! We've found an cheap ski in/ski out apartment in the Bruson area. What is like around there? Easy to get to main ski area? Are there eating and drinking places around?

First, this is all a lot easier to visualise if you get the 4 Vallées piste map off the Web e.g. http://www.verbier.ch/UserFiles/File/TVSA/Verbier-hiver-plan-Bruson-16-17.pdf

If you're accommodation is actually on the upper slopes of Bruson ski area then you just get the 'Mayens de Bruson' gondola down to the valley floor at Le Chable, walk the 10m across to the Verbier gondola, and go up to the Médran in central Verbier. Out of school holidays, you shouldn't have to queue much at Le Chable or Médran. At Médran you'll usually get the Médran 1 / Médran 2 gondolas up to Les Ruinettes, then either the Funispace gondola up to Attelas or do a short ski down to the Attelas chairlift to Attelas.

If you want to go higher up, you'd ski down from Attelas, keeping left, and across to La Chaux and get on the Jumbo gondola up to the Col des Gentianes (2950m). If you want to get even higher and do the glacier then you walk across to the Mt.Fort gondola up to Mt. Fort (3330m). Down from Mt.Fort you aki back down to the Col des Gentianes and then past the Cabin du Mt.Fort back to La Chaux and so on back down.

If you're in Bruson 1080 village, then you would probably have to get a bus to Le Châble and queue with the masses who get off the train or park there. Although outside school hols this shouldn't be a big deal.

Appendix: I'm a bit confused, as I've just taken a look at Bruson on Google Earth and it has a télésiege, but I don't see it on my (paper) 4 Vallées piste map from last season. Nor is it on the Verbier.ch web map for this season. But it is on older maps as '500 La Cot' - this before the Le Châble-'Mayens de Bruson' lift was built. My recollection from when we went over to Bruson last winter was that at Le Chable, we just walked across from the Verbier gondola a few paces across to the 'Mayens de Bruson' gondola and this dropped us half way up just above the La Passey chairlift. Perhaps one of the locals like BobInCH can clarify? If the OP's accommodation is described as ski in/ski out, then it can't be in Bruson village? Or do they still run the La Cot lift but not put it on the map any more?
latest report
Evanesther wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. Could I ask two further questions, what is the best way to get from Le Chable to Thyon/ Veysonnaz. Bus all the way or part snowboard part bus? And are the key linking drag lifts there long and steep? Cheers

I'm with the others in cautioning that driving or train from Le Châble to Veysonnaz is a very long way 'round indeed and that an early start then non-stop to Veysonnaz is worth considering:

This'd be Le Chable→Médran, Médran→Ruinettes. Ruinettes→Attelas, Ski→Lac des Vaux, Lac des Vaux→Chassoure, Chassoure→Tortin*, Tortin→drop-off, Ski→Siviez, Siviez→Combatseline, Ski→Greppon Drag, Greppon Drag→→→Greppon Blanc, Ski→Thyon

But if I had a car, I might consider driving early from Le CHable to Veysonnaz. That way, you'd not have range anxiety and could ski at leisure the whole Veysonnaz, Thyon, Les Collons area. Especially if the weather was anything other than very clear. I stayed in La Tzoumaz with a couple of friends and they did the ski over to Veysonnaz area and mis-timed the return, so they had to do the itinerary Vallon d'Arbi to get back. I went as far as the Greppon Blanc area and decided there wasn't enough time to do Veysonnaz justice and get back in time.

*The Chassoure mogul field: I'd recommend always taking a look at this from the gondola down/up before attempting it. Unless you are a strong and capable skier/boarder. I wouldn't do it as part of a Trek To Veysonnaz as it could take up a big chunk of your time/energy.
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
Perhaps one of the locals like BobInCH can clarify? If the OP's accommodation is described as ski in/ski out, then it can't be in Bruson village? Or do they still run the La Cot lift but not put it on the map any more?[/i]

You are correct that the bottom chair was dismantled when the gondola from Le Chable was installed so ski in / ski out would have to be up the mountain and would mean very limited nightlife
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the information, wr’ve Decided against staying in Bruson for the lack of facilities around.

It’s now between Hotel Les Touristes in Verbier itself, or an apartment in le Châble which is a 10 min walk to the lift. Is there public transport from Verbier to Le Chable in the evenings? We’re staying over New Years...
ski holidays
@surferrosa, yes, buses running until about 00.30
snow report
@surferrosa, Hotel Touristes is in Verbier village (bottom of town) so it’s right on the bus route but only 1 every 30 mins or so. If you miss the bus, probably 15 min walk (steepish hill) to centre of town and 25m to Medran. Le Chable, the bus is only every hour I think and takes approx 30 mins. How fit is your group? If you are a sociable bunch and all other things being equal I would stay At Hotel Touristes over Le Chable with a 10 mins (is that estimate reliable?) walk to Gondola. But I’ve got mates with apartments in Verbier villages and Le Chable and they’re all happy. If you stay in Verbier rent your skis from Ski Service Les Ruinettes (up the mountain) branch and you can go up in normal shoes every day and they will store your kit overnight. Massive faff saver, particularly if you ever end up walking!
snow report
Thanks all, I'm on a solo trip since our annual boys trip didnt happen, plus I'm going at a quiet time late Jan i should be able to cover some ground. My plan to do the L'Eteygeon itinerary appears to be a pipe dream but if I'm caught betwixt and between a cheap on the spot airbnb will suffice provided I hide the credit card bill!!
snow report
@surferrosa, all time great album along with Doolittle btw, check this link it's got loads of decent info..
https://www.verbinet.com/
ski holidays
@Evanesther, Eteygeon should be good end Jan and easily doable in a day from Le Chable if you’re a decent boarder. No traverses or poling so it’s a good choice for a boarder
snow conditions
@evanesther, haha! I’d say Doolittle is my absolute fave, surferrosa not far behind!!

Ok, so we’ve decided to go for the Le Chable apartment so that we have cooking facilities etc.

Now I need some tips how to do Verbier on the (relative) cheap....
ski holidays
[quote="BobinCH"]@Evanesther, Eteygeon should be good end Jan and easily doable in a day from Le Chable if you’re a decent boarder. No traverses or poling so it’s a good choice for a boarder[/quote
Thanks. was hoping someone would say that, the youtube videos I've seen look amazing. I'm a pretty competent boarder (most of the itineraries in St Anton). Just got a case of the Yips about drag lifts after avoiding them for so long but if needs must.
latest report
Cheapest boys trip was Sauze, most expensive was St Anton but I'd put that down to the seductive charms of the Mooser, I reckon this holiday is going to come in on a par with Morzine once i add everything up if thats any help.
snow report
@surferrosa, im not sure how practical this is for you but regarding cost cutting, i only mention this because i come from a family of chefs and this is what ive always done , get a butcher to vacuum pack some joints of meat before you leave, freeze them and put them in your hold luggage. once thawed slow cook them when your out all day and you're sorted. Loads of cheap Aldi chocolate, a hip flask and if you can take the sweetness, do what the Austrian Ski instructors do and for lunch just order a desert of stodgy sponge, jam and custard. the name escapes me but Switzerland is bound to have an equivalent. Make happy hour your friend but say no to Jager.
snow conditions
@surferrosa: If you're driving down then I'd say buy your groceries etc somewhere en route in France, like the SuperU at Pontarlier, although be prepared to be questioned at the border and asked about meat and alcohol volumes. Unless you're bringing-in more than 1Kg/day/person of meat, this shouldn't be a problem but if you're not prepared and look blank, it can make you sound shifty if you're stopped (as we have been, a few times). Check import allowances on the Swiss Customs website as I'm only quoting the meat limit from memory. There's also a Decathlon next to the Pontrlier SuperU, so you can pick up and stuff you've forgotten there cheaper than in the resort. And you must have a Swiss Motorway Vignette to use the autoroutes and many major roads, so either get that ahead of your trip (form somewhere like the London Swiss Travel Centre) or at the border. I get it in advance in case we're delayed and end up crossing the border late at night. Swiss Police are very hot on stopping people without them.

If you are fly/driving from Geneva airport, then drop off the autoroute en-route, at somewhere like Allaman or Martigny and do a shop at a Co-Op Superstore. Prices should be a bit cheaper and the choice wider than in the resort. Ditto alcohol. We generally stop at the Co-Op at Allaman, going 'round Lake Geneva. You'll need a 2 CHF coin for the trolley. 'Cardinal' is the local Swiss lager. There's a Lidl (or is it Aldi?) just off the Autoroute at Martigny, but if I recall, no alcohol, so you have to get that elsewhere.

If you're using public transport, then you're a bit limited obviously to logistics and what you can carry. There's a Migros supermarket at the far end of the airport building (turn left out of Arrivals - it's about a 15 min walk). So you could shop there, but the difference may not really be worth the effort, given airport prices.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, stayed at Central Hotel a few years ago, nice place but rooms very small and backs on Farinet and mega noisy at apres time when the roof opens!

Nendaz link not good still? I thought they’d sorted it? Bus a joke a few years ago used to take an age to get back but thought I’d read somewhere it had been improved via a new lift?

Used to really like skiing 4V, never been for about 7-8 years now but I’d like to go back.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy