Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2023/2024 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
@Crosbie, never known it to close even up til Easter - they seem to keep Crêt open, even if it’s just a white stripe!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@andy from embsay, given you have to be a reasonably good skier to do the red off Grandes Combes, when traffic is low, and conditions aren't fantastic, I think they shut Grandes Combes knowing that those keen to do the red/black runs are quite able to hike to them from the top of Intrêts.

I'd say Grandes Combes is more to help out the "Hey! That was great! Let's do that again" crowd - who would otherwise have to get Prodains + Intrêts. And yeah, it also enabled the red/black skiers to go directly to their runs via Crôt + Grandes Combes - instead of joining the queues of bluers at Intrêts.

Anyway, I am talking about the last few weeks of the season.

And yes, the Crôt is a nice run even then, albeit eventually getting a bit slushy at the bottom. I'm not sure about the sharp right turn at the very bottom tho, where you have to schuss to make it to the Prodains cable car. Maybe they can smooth that right angle bend out a bit?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crosbie wrote:
I'm not sure about the sharp right turn at the very bottom tho, where you have to schuss to make it to the Prodains cable car.

You really don't, unless the slush is boot deep.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DJL, if you come to a halt at that corner (due to fallen skiers who flunked the banked turn, etc.), then it's a very gentle decline thereafter, and slow, spring snow doesn't help progress.

I guess they can't start cutting the forest down at that corner, so a right-angled turn it will long remain.

And all because they moved the cable car...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MHskier wrote:
Without having to read back the whole chat is there any other new lifts/runs this year other than Creux de la neige?

New main lift out of Morgins, replacing the old 3-man Foilleuse chair with a state-of-the-art autonomous gondola, details here, but it doesn't really change the layout at the top, although possibly one will no longer be able to ski round the back of the lift station. I also note on that page a change to the Mossettes piste down towards les Crozets, changing it from a red to a blue.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 28-10-23 10:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Am heading up next week for a look around....which skis should I wax?

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not a lift, but loads of new snowmaking kit been installed at Cret Beni in La Chapelle D'Abondance. On the other hand - and the south facing side of the valley - the Tromby lift at Braitaz has been removed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Matt1959 wrote:
Not a lift, but loads of new snowmaking kit been installed at Cret Beni in La Chapelle D'Abondance. On the other hand - and the south facing side of the valley - the Tromby lift at Braitaz has been removed.

Yeah, must make an effort to drive down and ski Cret Beni at some point. Did it one day many years back, before we moved here, and it was nice enough as I recall, but the lack of connections to any other skiing makes it slip the mind.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crosbie wrote:
I guess it means there's no longer a bit of a hike to get to the start of the Jean Vuarnet run?

Incidentally, I've never done 'SnowCross Crozats', probably because I've never noticed anything saying "Crozats starts here". Is there a marked start? Is there a suggested route marked with poles? Or do you need to go with someone who knows it well? Or is it just a case of "Get down any way you like - you'll end up on a piste eventually, whatever you do"?
Not quite - more often than not you'll want to bail out of the bowl on the skiers-right traverse back to the bottom of the Machon and the Grandes Combes chair. Keep an eye out for the tracks as the bowl starts to shallow out. If you're cutting first-tracks on a powder day you'll be so stoked you won't care if you miss it! If you do carry on down to eventually meet the pistes, don't drift too far skiers-left and end up in the deep gully/river-bed (of doom). It's hard to get out Embarassed and no-one will find you in there if anything happens... Skullie

p.s. The bail-out traverse is very long and technical for boarders, Mrs. Shep has been known to use bad words... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@shep, titter you recall that day we skied Morzinnettes?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@shep, that traverse absolutely terrified a mate of ours as he was convinced he was going to slide off and never be seen again. Years ago we also ended up too far left at the bottom, involving climbing down frozen waterfalls and other silliness.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@shep, thanks for the experienced advice. I will look out for it next time I'm boarding up there - no doubt very tracked out by that time (I'm not a 'first lift, first tracks' type).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@shep, titter you recall that day we skied Morzinnettes?
Ah yes, that was an adventure! Last I saw that line is slowly re-foresting itself. Would need a deep base to be skiable now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy from embsay wrote:
@shep, Years ago we also ended up too far left at the bottom, involving climbing down frozen waterfalls and other silliness.
Don't remind me Blush . It's about as extreme as you'd want "ski-agricole" to get wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyway - it looks like next weekend might see some snow down to 1500m or so? We’re popping out for the weekend on 23/11 so hoping for enough to do a short skin up slide down over at Chavannes amongst the DIY.
snow report
@Chaletbeauroc, I think the Mossettes piste is going the other way - red to blue? It was a bit of a narrow steep track, presumably widening and making the angle a bit less steep?
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, Ooops. Brain fart. Post edited.
snow conditions
First flakes to 1800 this morning have already melted, but can see lower snowline on same Fornet / Arare cam

@andy from embsay, yeah I think 1500 has a good shot end of week
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@andy from embsay, Shocked
Quote:

a couple of hundred metres further up

Quite a lot of re-shaping of the hill then? it gets a bit steeper (well it used to) above the top of the prior lift.

The concrete for the new top station was poured last summer, it was visible last winter season from the old lift.

A story from the old days for those interested in these things:

The Arare headwall above the pistes was the venue of the annual unofficial piste-basher challenge until it was banned in the late 80's. They'd all finish their night-shift of piste-grooming, and then meet at the top of Arare in the small hours for a crazy competition of who could get furthest up the headwall.

The faint-hearted (or more sober/straight) stopped at the gradient where they could make a controlled retreat in reverse. The more gung-ho pushed it until they lost traction, slewed sideways, and started sliding crab-wise down the face in a 20 ton sledge Shocked . The trick at this point was to continue the spin until facing straight down and then brake by dropping the blade into the deep snow.

The danger was of flipping the rattrack if the tracks dug-in whilst sliding sideways Skullie ; which as elf'n'safety came in led to the strict outlawing of the spectacle.

It was visible and great entertainment to the post-nightclub revellers all over Avoriaz, but the mysterious tracks a source of great confusion to everyone else on the Arare chair the next day!
ski holidays
@shep, Shocked Shocked
snow report
Just booked a bonus long weekend in Champery for mid-January ... staying at Le White hotel which looks nice. First time staying over the border - any recommendations for good restaurants in Champery please? Thanks.
snow report
Quick heads up for anyone travelling to the Abondance valley......

The valley road from the roundabout up to Chevenoz is shut both ways because of rock falls, and the Vinzier to Chevenoz road is shut due to upgrading so it can cope with the extra traffic when the valley road is shut because of rock falls.

Diversion via Col du Corbier.
ski holidays
A dusting in our garden in Morzine this morning. Snowline a bit lower than expected, I think? Bodes well for higher up.

Off to Chavannes shortly @polo?
latest report
5cm on our terrace in La Chapelle d'Abondance at about 1150m.
snow report
Yeah it’s nice to see but FL up to 2000 tomorrow and 1800m sunday. Doesn’t really drop again until early next week, so that’s when I’m planning to rip down the 200m stretch of soggy pow.
ski holidays
@polo, indeed
latest report
Decent amounts at avoriaz on the webcams - Presumably they'll harvest some of that into big piles like someone suggested they do with the guns running or is that for after the base being established naturally?
snow report
How lovely to see the front neige in Les Gets covered in snow again ...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franga wrote:
How lovely to see the front neige in Les Gets covered in snow again ...
just checked it out. Now there is a sight for sure eyes. snowHead
snow report
1500m up is tempting. Tried to pick a wide angle so as not to attract the webcam police.

I've definitely ridden these "depths" in the past but needs another 10cm to fill in some more dips and prevent base damage. So placing bets that by monday there will be better value-for-meters.
GFS keen on a 1650 ish FL on Sunday with heavy downpours.....30-40mm, but that's the most optimistic case.
WRF more like 1750 and lighter, but does drop into monday.
Arpege is a disaster with 1850-1900 all the way to monday

So high stakes....I may regret not taking out the ol rock hopper today but timing didnt work anyway.....also warming up mid week so it's a short window
snow report
MHskier wrote:
Decent amounts at avoriaz on the webcams - Presumably they'll harvest some of that into big piles like someone suggested they do with the guns running or is that for after the base being established naturally?

I've never seen them do that with natural snow early on......normally they only make piles of artificial snow for exposed areas and trying to set a base.
And then end of season, especially lower down, they will scrape the side-piste if needed to patch up any gaps.

Hammering it down again this evening in the lower valleys.....FL should drop quickly, will be good if it lasts
snow conditions
Had to get up on the snow before it got soaked this morning....easily 20cm depth at 1500m and 30+ at 1600m. All these years I've been assuming that the top of La Croix / Chavannes express lifts was 1700m, but it's only 1620m. My kid knew that the Nauchets lift is 1650m while top of chavannes is clearly below that. Anyway had to be quick....snow was nice enough, not too claggy, but not powder either, certainly not anymore as it has started to rain. Always nice to ski over leaves this time of year.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 6-11-23 9:44; edited 6 times in total
ski holidays
@polo, good effort! Very Happy
ski holidays
@jonm, Took some convincing alright.....a gale blew in as we were driving up the hill, weather was testing our resolve....but thankfully cleared up long enough for a short hike. Stopped off in Esserts for Apres ski to meet my sons girlfriends parents.....they naturally thought we were bonkers. Asked us if there was anyone else up there, we said yeah one other person....to which they replied, English? Probably.
snow report
jonm wrote:
@polo, good effort! Very Happy
+1 snowHead
snow conditions
wink
latest report
Matt1959 wrote:

Gutted about the Tromby. You could have that lift virtually to yourself in early January.
ski holidays
@mikeycharlton, You and me both!
ski holidays
Conditions update, via selection biased webcam cropping

2100, then Avoriaz 1800 and Mont Chery 1800....needless to say anything below 1500m is green again

Light flurries expected out to wed as FL drops from 1800 to 1400m, with a further 10-15cm to low levels possible fri/sat
snow conditions
Had a message yesterday from Alessandro, an instructor I had a lesson with back in 2020 through Supreme, to say he'd gone independent this year and was running lessons through Maison Sport.

Just doing my bit to let you all know that, and if you fancy a lesson, I'd recommend him.

We spent 2hrs together and he was a good instructor. Italian, but spoke really good English. He used a gopro during the lesson and we looked back through the videos on the lift on the way back up. For sure, I could see and feel a difference in my skiing after those 2hrs.

Anyway, good deed for the day done.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy