Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@tatmanstours, I saw something over the summer about this, but can't find it now... it is indeed a ski bridge to get to the bottom of Hochalmbahn, which is tied into a new base station for the Zwolfernord cable car which I think is now pencilled in to start construction in summer 2024. My memory is hazy on the details, but I think it was proposed to combine the two lifts into one building, in which case the bridge would bring you directly to the uplift.

All subject to the reliability of my memory of course, which is variable
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ousekjarr, Excellent! That old Zwölfernordbahn certainly looks overdue for an upgrade. I’d assumed that they’d do something before the World Cup.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is one of the reasons I love Saalbach, the year on year investment they make into the resort is staggering, every time we visit there is a new lift to try out, the T-bars of old are a distant memory and its all heated-seats and express gondolas these days.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ousekjarr, I have a similar recollection, along with a discussion on the losing the tow rope , not a loss!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snorks, there are a few T bars on the learner slopes and of course the Seekar of which there are many fans, not me Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@radar, The B6 Seekarlift of course, I had to check where it was! I never make it up there preferring to do runs 35 & 36 if over that way. Is it worth a try?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snorks, we haven’t been up there , there are those that say the skiing is good up there, we have done the run down from the bottom station to the Zehner chair which isn’t riveting.

@tatmanstours, Has been up there and has said it’s good. I’m waiting for a chair Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seekar is a hidden gem, with quiet and fun piste options which I try to ski any time I'm in the area.

That said, the T-bar is the pain you have to endure for the pleasure of the downhill, and the long run out to the Ellmaualm needs confidence and a reasonable tuck to carry your speed and avoid walking or skating in. For boarders, it's a no.

There are several off-piste options from Seekar. I've not sampled any of them because they look quite gnarly (dude), and that look is reinforced by the transceiver check point at the bottom of the T-bar.

It also has a scenic thunder box toilet at the peak wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ok I'm an experienced Boarder but not sure I fancy the double challenge of a prolonged flat and the horror of a T-Bar!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
New 8 limberglift

Looking forward to trying it Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snorks,

Map data from https://www.outdooractive.com/en/route/hiking-route/tourismusverband-saalbach-hinterglemm/drafted-on-2023-09-19/279327034/?share=%7Ezwupvq9a%244osgibry

The last 400m drops by ~15m in total. Boarders and hesitant skiers are frequently seen trudging the last 200m. Those in the know tuck from no further than halfway down the last pitch below the Seekar base hut.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for that, I might give it a try then.. I don't mind straight-lining it down as long as the visibility is good enough!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snorks, you've clearly never ridden in Scotland then. Gives great exposure to surface lifts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lufthansa will start flying from Heathrow to Salzburg on 16 December through to 30 March every Saturday and Sunday

London Heathrow 11:10 am Salzburg 2:20 pm
Salzburg 3:55 pm London Heathrow 5:05 pm

I looked at prices including luggage and they were lower than BA.

If you need transfers see my post on the first page of this thread
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@radar, thats very interesting! Have they just become bookable?
latest report
@ster, I believe that bookings went live in July, just had the Salzburg Airport newsletter which prompted my post, I did do an earlier on

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5153592&highlight=#5153592
snow report
@ousekjarr, @tatmanstours, here are some pictures of the new ski bridge at the bottom of Hochalmbahn..

latest report
Looks pretty ugly at the moment, but hopefully once it is reinstated it won't be quite as much of an eyesore. At least they're investing and improving the infrastructure every year Cool

Based on the bits I recognise in the photo, the line seems to be to the midpoint between the two lift stations - does this look correct?

ski holidays
radar wrote:
Lufthansa will start flying from Heathrow to Salzburg on 16 December through to 30 March every Saturday and Sunday

London Heathrow 11:10 am Salzburg 2:20 pm
Salzburg 3:55 pm London Heathrow 5:05 pm

I looked at prices including luggage and they were lower than BA.

If you need transfers see my post on the first page of this thread

interestingly, I did look at this for my trip 27th Jan and BA did end up cheaper with all the same options selected, not by much, but I was concerned by the maximum dimension of the luggage being 150cm (I think, may have been a bit longer), whereas BA was 190cm, the exact length of my roller bag!
snow report
@dunc999, to late for you but for anyone's else skis/boards are free on Lufthansa you must prebook them, https://www.lufthansa.com/gb/en/sports-baggage

Winter sports equipment
1 item of baggage with one pair of skis OR one snowboard
1 item of baggage with one pair of ski poles and one pair of ski OR snowboard boots
1 helmet
Maximum number of baggage items: 2
Dimensions (length only): 200 cm
latest report
@dunc999, had the same concerns as their luggage policy is far from clear but as above you just need to notify them that you’re taking your skis/board (for free).
@radar, spotted those flights on skyscanner and now booked. Cheaper and more convenient than easyJet or BA for me Very Happy
snow conditions
Does anyone have any experience of skischule Easyski? We are looking at private lessons for January and they look to be a fair bit cheaper than others? Thanks
ski holidays
@Dhayman, all I can say about Easyski is that experienced, Saalbach-based, British/Scottish instructor, Stuart Watt, works for them, and he strikes me as a personable sort of chap with whom you are unlikely to be disappointed.
I usually recommend people who want private lessons to contact Penhab Ski School, which employs some excellent instructors.
latest report
Alternatively, choose to finish your day in Saalbach and then get a bus or taxi back. It's not going to break the bank for a group to jump in a taxi, and with much of the accommodation up a hill you'll appreciate the door to door service.

Can anyone advise the height of Saalbach and Hinterglemm villages. (Thinking of walking between them and would prefer walking downhill)
ski holidays
@nahdendee, the base station of the Zwölferkogel is at 1070m, while the base of the Schattberg Xpress is 997m, so it is gently downhill from Hinterglemm to Saalbach.

My original comment was that being in a valley with buildings up the side, much of the accommodation is uphill from the valley road. For example, within Saalbach the street from the valley climbs up the hill to Kohlmais, and while it's only about a 30m increase, that's along 300m of street so is a moderate uphill walk all the way. In Hinterglemm a lot of the accommodation is up steepish streets alongside Reiterkogel, or on Haidweg or Pfefferweg which are very steep in places before flattening out into terraces. At the bottom, Haidweg is about a 30 degree slope.

If you want to walk between Hinterglemm and Saalbach there is a road/track on the other side of the river from the main valley road which is likely to be more pleasant.
snow conditions
@nahdendee, Saalbach is a few meters over 1,000m; Hinterglemm is a few meters higher, but not so you’d really notice - the valley has a very gentle gradient with no very noticeable inclines between Saalbach and the end of the valley beyond Hinterglemm. Between Zell am See/Maishofen and Saalbach the gradient is perhaps more noticeable at times, but again there are no steep hills.
latest report
@nahdendee, we regularly walk between the two but not in ski boots, as has been said above Hinterglem is uphill from Saalbach, there is a separate path, not well lit in places, though this may change with the coming of teh world cup and the work they are doing on it.

It's about a 30 to 40 minute walk from Hinterglem to the Schattberg express
snow report
Thanks to all, very helpful comments
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ousekjarr wrote:
@nahdendee, the base station of the Zwölferkogel is at 1070m, while the base of the Schattberg Xpress is 997m, so it is gently downhill from Hinterglemm to Saalbach.

My original comment was that being in a valley with buildings up the side, much of the accommodation is uphill from the valley road. For example, within Saalbach the street from the valley climbs up the hill to Kohlmais, and while it's only about a 30m increase, that's along 300m of street so is a moderate uphill walk all the way. In Hinterglemm a lot of the accommodation is up steepish streets alongside Reiterkogel, or on Haidweg or Pfefferweg which are very steep in places before flattening out into terraces. At the bottom, Haidweg is about a 30 degree slope.

If you want to walk between Hinterglemm and Saalbach there is a road/track on the other side of the river from the main valley road which is likely to be more pleasant.

@ousekjarr, many thanks, do you know if the Hotel Alpine Palace (Hinterglemm) is on a steep street (understand its near the Reiterkogel Gondola)
latest report
@nahdendee,

this is from the Kogel12er lift to the Schattberg Xpress.
latest report
@nahdendee, the Alpine Palace is about 5 metres above the main road through the village, easily accessible on foot or by vehicle. The pedestrian area starts just beyond it.

They may also have a side/rear entrance directly onto the piste, but not having stayed there I can't be sure.
snow report
The abandoned Schattberg multi storey car park is being demolished, the Salzbuger Nachrichten reports that work starts on Monday.

I can’t get past the paywall to read the full article.
latest report
@radar, great news - goodbye to an eyesore.
snow report
@tatmanstours, it's replacement https://tinyurl.com/bdfhzm3u, looks like they will use it as a car parking area this winter and then start building at the end of the season
ski holidays
@radar, that link doesn’t work
latest report
@tatmanstours,

https://www.sn.at/salzburg/politik/neue-garage-in-saalbach-soll-schoener-werden-138599518?fbclid=IwAR0kHnc7O0pCgXGDMBRINm_Fidy1g46qyzBTWe-HnY1q44R1nFFqVZWl7RA
snow report
We’re staying in an apartment in Saalbach for Xmas week (a bit out of the way at the end of the Ronachweg, but happy to walk somewhere) - any recommendations for restaurants for Christmas Day dinner. We know the main celebration is on the 24th, so thought we’d eat in that night, and hope for a slightly easier time finding somewhere for dinner on Christmas Day itself (but realise it will probably still be busy). Keen to get something booked, as I assume they will fill up soon?
latest report
And while I’m here - I’ve booked via sunweb, and their ski/snowboard hire prices look reasonably reasonable, so may go along that least path of resistance (and I’m not too precious on what we get - it’s not the equipment that holds me back, as a rule ….) . Does anyone happen to know who they use? Reason is my wife has a problem with her hip at the moment and isn’t sure how much she’ll be able to ski, so I may just start by booking her equipment for a day or two, and then (hopefully) extend. Sunweb only give me an option to book for the full week.
snow conditions
@Pejoli, food options , Del Rossi, Schatberg Stube or S’Wirtshaus mid price , we eat regularly at Del Rossi and the Wirtshaus.

Hotels are also an option, Das Kholmais you would walk past it to get into town check if they take non resident bookings, you can eat at the Neuhaus hotel can highly recommend their steak.

There is also Pizzeria Napoli, good pizza they do other things too, might not be the right option for Christmas day but it’s a nice place.

Maisalm it’s on the blue run back to town but you can get there by cab in the evening, its a mix of modern and traditional Austrian.

Spielberghaus, take a piste basher up have dinner in the mountains and toboggan back (we took the piste basher both ways) , you will need cash for fare, you will also need to take a cab to departure point.

More up market Herzlstubn at the hotel Kendler, eaten there a couple of times and it’s very good, also the Tiroler Baum which would be a cab ride.

Ski Hire, from where you are the closest is Brundl near the Kholmais lift station, not sure if Sunweb use them.
latest report
The Tiroler Buam restaurant by the Schönleitenbahn is absolutely superb IMO.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy