Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
It gives me great pleasure to introduce the new thread for 2023/24. Let discussion commence…

I’m driving down to Saalbach in a couple of days, and will be there for around six weeks, so will report any news.

The only new developments that I’m currently aware of are the new Limberg chair lift on Schattberg, with extended piste number 2. And the Kristall restaurant, which replaces the Hungry Deer, opposite the Del Rossi on Schulstrasse. But no doubt there will be other things to report on.

And, as I mentioned in my last post on the previous season’s thread, bear in mind that there are a few British owners amongst my circle, who have rental apartments available in Saalbach, and who (for some unknown reason) tend not to use Snowheads. So it’s always worth messaging me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This coming season’s operating dates from the tourist office

Operating times winter 2023/24*
Skicircus Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn
01.12.2023 to 07.12.2023 lift operation in the areas Schönleiten, Asitz, Zwölferkogel and Fieberbrunn
08.12.2023 to 01.04.2024 lift operation with ski connections between Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn
02.04.2024 to 07.04.2024 partial operation in the Skicircus
*Subject to change
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it was my 1st time in the area over the last week. i had a wonderbar time hiking/biking/MTB with the family. We'll be skiing in Fieberbrunn over xmas and new year. we're very procient skiers how long to ski from Fieberbrunn to Saalbach?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mother hucker, you’ll be riding some long lifts - the Reckmoos North and TirolS gondolas. I’d allow about an hour and a half, if you’re “very procient” skiers wink Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another lift upgrade this time in Fieberbrunn, the interesting gondola with the moving platform is going to be replaced Summer 2024

From the tourist board: (translated into English by Facebook)

GOODBYEHELLO - THE OLD ONE LEAVES. THE NEW ONE IS COMING. Boring

What some have already guessed, we can finally make it official: Fieberbrunn’s cable car to Lärchfilzkogel will receive a new model in summer 2024: brand single-rope treadmill, 10-seater, nonstop to the top, panoramic windows, faster, more comfortable, modern and on the outside in ferrari red. Eh oh! Eh oh!

But that's not all! We would like to involve you, dear Fieberbrunner:insiders & guests, in this casual project. Therefore, we are launching a participation campaign to make the new railway a joint project of us- & heart. And the best part about it? As a supporter, you can get coupons with a 15% discount. Eh oh!Eh oh!

All the info Eh oh! fieberbrunn.com/goodbyehello
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tatmanstours, good timing, weather forecast is looking good from Tuesday
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@radar, that’s excellent news! That slow and tedious, two stage Ströhboden gondola has been putting people off going to Fieberbrunn, or at least up the Lärchfilzkogel, ever since the areas became linked and we started going there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@swskier, hmmm…my phone says good for Tuesday, then 80%\70% chance of rain for Wednesday and Thursday, and thundery weather for the several days after that. We’ll see.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tatmanstours, I was just assuming that Saalbach would be simlar to the forecast for the Zillteral! Bergfex app is telling me beautiful weather Tues-Fri here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tatmanstours wrote:
@Mother hucker, you’ll be riding some long lifts - the Reckmoos North and TirolS gondolas. I’d allow about an hour and a half, if you’re “very procient” skiers wink Laughing

i used to race so probably efficent enough to get there and back quick as most. It doesnt look so far on the piste map.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not that I’m there Crying or Very sad

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tatmanstours wrote:
@radar, that’s excellent news! That slow and tedious, two stage Ströhboden gondola has been putting people off going to Fieberbrunn, or at least up the Lärchfilzkogel, ever since the areas became linked and we started going there.

20230127-114407

I love that quirky old bubble bus, will be sadly missed
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello all,

We have booked for 2-9 March '24 (early I know but we are taking the gamble). We are a family group with snowboarders, a first time 4 year old skier and grandparents allong for fun, snowhikes and babysitting. Fingers crossed for good snow this season. I wonder if anyone has experience this week before, can we expect busy pistes?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BlueSnow, we have been that week for the last two years and have booked it for 2024 too.

Never experienced any queues beyond about a minute or two or crowded pistes. Enjoy!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BlueSnow, it’s still high season, but after the peak. Not a bad week generally, and there should be a reasonable expectation of good snow. It will probably be much quieter the following week, but congestion and queues are not usually a problem in Saalbach. As always, the most important factor is the weather.
ski holidays
BlueSnow wrote:
Hello all,

We have booked for 2-9 March '24 (early I know but we are taking the gamble). We are a family group with snowboarders, a first time 4 year old skier and grandparents allong for fun, snowhikes and babysitting. Fingers crossed for good snow this season. I wonder if anyone has experience this week before, can we expect busy pistes?

There's no gamble with the snow - there will be snow. It may not be so great low down and south facing, but it's March

Worst run I found in warm sunny weather was the one back from Fieberbrunn - the bottom bit winding on a path is particularly rubbish.

Queues are rare-ish in S-H; worst was from bottom of Leogang (bad timing, arrived there at ski school time), and the lift they are replacing in Fieberbrunn. The yellow bubble from Hinterglemm can be a bit of a queue.

But S-H has the best lift system in the country with the best lift systems

I like January skiing for the cold and excellent snow, and March for the longer days, warmer weather and a bit more varied snow conditions
snow report
Hello everyone! After a fantastic holiday in January, nabbing myself an exclusive van Kleist piece of art in the process, we've decided on another trip to hinterglemm next year.

We've got accomodation sorted but need to sort out transfers - anyone else arriving at Salzburg early on 27.01 and fancy sharing a lift?

If not - any recommendations?
snow conditions
@Gow87, https://www.austriatransfer.com/en run a regular scheduled transfer service as well as private ones if theres four of you private is cheaper, this is last seasons schedule https://www.austriatransfer.com/downloads/fahrplaene2021/Saalbach_Hinterglemm.pdf

There is the Post bus from the airport to Saalbach Hinterglem change at Maishofen a lot cheaper and quite straightforward https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/

There is also a local firm that do private transfers and are reliable https://www.taxi6620.at/en/
snow report
https://www.austriatransfer.com/en/faq

See "Will my credit card be charged"

Bear in mind that Austria Transfers only take payment in cash direct to the driver
latest report
@nahdendee, as a regular user they take both cash and card
snow conditions
I booked my transfers for Xmas week with taxi.booking.com - £360 return for an 8 person people carrier. Seemed a very good price compared to the alternatives.
snow conditions
How to get to Saalbach from Salzburg Airport,

Austrian Transfer run a shuttle bus service https://www.austriatransfer.com/en it is 70 euro each way, however if you are a solo traveller it is 120 euro! if there are three or more then a private shuttle is more cost effective.

Edit: 30 November added Snow Camps transfer

Andy Rose of Snow Camps Europe is offering a shuttle type service.

https://www.snowcampseu.com/airport-transfers/

Private transfers, companies based in Saalbach Taxi Rainer https://www.taxirainer.at/en/, Taxi6620 https://www.taxi6620.at/en/ , https://taxi-pinzgau.com

Holiday Shuttle as far as I can ascertain won't be providing a service this season

Public bus (260) from Salzburg airport, the cheapest way to get to Saalbach, the fare is currently Euro 15 each way, change at Maishofen (680) a couple of minutes walk between bust sops, the bus going up the valley will wait if there is delay to the incoming bus, mention to the driver you are connecting to Saalbach

The public bus frequency has increased this winter to five connections on Saturday, to check the times https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/,

You can go via Zell Am See, take the bus to Salzburg HBF train to Zell there maybe a change, then bus 680 to Saalbach or a taxi (€60).

You can buy bus or train tickets through the Salzburg Verkehr app, it also has the live ski bus times, handy for when you are in resort, it’s been a great discovery.

Updated : 1 January 24 with information from @Yorksboy, @ribblevalleyblue, @Badbobby

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 2-01-24 18:10; edited 15 times in total
snow report
The big deal will be the Saalbach X-Presse. This will finally make the link to Zell-am-See seamless. From Viehhofen to Sonnkogel the gondola will avoid the need for the shuttle bus, as well as enabling download, as piste 168 is frequently shut.
The construction date has been put back a few times, but now seems very likely for 2024 construction.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, Welcome back mucker. My youngest is heading over your way in the next couple of weeks to hit the MTB Trails.
snow conditions
@RedandWhiteFlachau, Thanks. I doubt that I’ll get in his way; most of my MTBing is along nice safe valley bottom trails. Basically I’m a coward when there isn’t some nice soft snow to cushion my fall.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, They are a she, but I wouldn't ride with her either. Very Happy
snow report
Hi Everybody - looking at Fieberbrunn for Jan 24 - does anybody know the Schlosshotel Rosenegg Hotel?

Looks decent enough but is it too far out and a pain to get to the lifts?
ski holidays
Gaz_H wrote:
Hi Everybody - looking at Fieberbrunn for Jan 24 - does anybody know the Schlosshotel Rosenegg Hotel?

Looks decent enough but is it too far out and a pain to get to the lifts?

I'll be staying there over Xmas and new year. I'll have my van though so won't have to use ski bus or anything like that
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've stayed at the Hotel SaalbacherHof for the last 5 years but are keen to try a different hotel and the Hotel Kendler is the current favourite, anybody stayed there and have a view? We have always booked with Crystal/Ingrams in the past as well but the prices are up so keen to give Sunweb a try this year and booked flights and transfers separately.
snow report
@snorks we stayed at the kendler last year early march - its very good all round, but not cheap...no drawbacks for me, one of our group wanted a better pool for swimming lengths in after a days skiing, but I was happy bobbing around in the rooftop hot tub watching the last of the apres skiers trying to make it down the last bit of piste. food excellent. service excellent. spa facilities excellent.
ski holidays
Hi @sarahkit, thanks for the review, sounds ideal, the last thing I want to do after a days skiing is lengths of a pool!
ski holidays
The prices have been published for the season ski pass (Ski Alpin Card ), buy before 8 December € 760.00 after € 900.00, last year 693 & 824

6 day pass from 23 Dec to 7 April €377, you can ski from 3pm the day before
ski holidays
And the Superski pass is €940 before 7th Dec and €1050 after.

€394 for 6 days.
latest report
I’m keeping diplomatically quiet about what the season pass costs for a Saalbach resident wink Razz
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
I’m keeping diplomatically quiet about what the season pass costs for a Saalbach resident wink Razz

Interesting, are you a full time resident in Saalbach and Austrian citizen?

I own an apartment in Zell but not full time resident and have always paid full list price for season passes. I was told when I bought my place back in 2013 I would get some discount if I registed the whole family with Pinzgauer (I did and have a certificate thingy) but when I told the ladies in the lift pass office they just looked blankly at me and I did not pursue it further.

If you know any different can you drop me a PM

Cheers

Mark
snow conditions
I'm planning my "boys" trip for 27th Jan-3rd Feb, we are heading back to Austria for the first time in 7 years (one of the boys veto'd the PreBB bash) and broadly planning a return to Mayrhofen. However my interest is piqued in the Salbaach/Hinterglemm area and wonder if it would be a good fit. 50 something "boys" good intermediates, mainly on piste but will have a dabble off the sides, like a few beers and a band if we can, and decent accommodation (B&B).

Would the cognoscenti recommend it for us and which parts? Thanks.
snow report
dunc999 wrote:
I'm planning my "boys" trip for 27th Jan-3rd Feb, we are heading back to Austria for the first time in 7 years (one of the boys veto'd the PreBB bash) and broadly planning a return to Mayrhofen. However my interest is piqued in the Salbaach/Hinterglemm area and wonder if it would be a good fit. 50 something "boys" good intermediates, mainly on piste but will have a dabble off the sides, like a few beers and a band if we can, and decent accommodation (B&B).

Would the cognoscenti recommend it for us and which parts? Thanks.

Slightly better skiing in S-H in that there's more of it easy to get to (no need for train) and access from and back to the village is much easier than Mayrhofen (I'm talking Saalbach - lifts out in 3 main directions). Whole area nicely linked - includes Fieberbrunn and Leogang and even - though not quite so well linked - Zell am See (which is a lovely resort but somewhat limited and very busy - in 2022 I skied over to S-H half the days I was in Zell am See)

Top not as high as Mayrhofen/ZamZ by ~400m, but of course being Austria snow making is excellent. S-H pistes are very much at the intermediate level, and there's loads at that level - it is made for "good intermediates". Can be a touch samey on the main south facing side of the valley, mostly straight down, and there's quite a number of trails linking the pistes across the slope (which are fine for skiers but boarders can struggle). The lift system is even better than the Ziller valley - you won't find a better one. Few queues. Apres I think is fairly similar, as is the general quality of the village - Mayrhofen surprised me 4 years ago after not being there since the 80s - quite a classy little town now.
ski holidays
@buchanan101, thanks, very useful.
ski holidays
dunc999 wrote:
@buchanan101, thanks, very useful.

Should add that I've been twice in very warm half terms and the snow has still been fine. The bottom at 1000m is higher than most typical Austrian villages. Can get a bit soft lower down on the south facing slopes, but plenty up higher and on other aspects (I like the bowl towards Leogang and the Fieberbrunn area is interesting, and the main issue there - an old lift - is being sorted I think)
latest report
@buchanan101, I have a group very similar in age and profile and have been to both areas. I would definitely choose S/H and Saalbach in particular. Mayrhofen might shade the cost and availability battle dependent on how you book and what you can find. My group is 11 for the same week and I eventually plumped for Flachau HB as I struggled to find anything in Saalbach (Mayrhofen wasn't on our list of choices, it was S/H vs Flachau/ Wagrain for us, with SZG flights already booked). I checked the tourist office website, individual properties, Sunweb and Danski when doing my research
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy