Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@dunc999, I have a group very similar in age and profile and have been to both areas. I would definitely choose S/H and Saalbach in particular. Mayrhofen might shade the cost and availability battle dependent on how you book and what you can find. My group is 11 for the same week and I eventually plumped for Flachau HB as I struggled to find anything in Saalbach (Mayrhofen wasn't on our list of choices, it was S/H vs Flachau/ Wagrain for us, with SZG flights already booked). I checked the tourist office website, individual properties, Sunweb and Danski when doing my research
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, duplicate post and thought I had edited it to only tag the correct person in one post......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@toyah807, yes, I'd chose S-H, but that didn't stop me going to Mayrhofen and enjoying it, and I'd probably go there again. It's just a bit less convenient, from village access to getting round the area, to skiing back to the village. There were great bits of the Ziller valley - out the back of ZamZ is great, as are the higher parts of Mayrhofen away to the left from the main bowl, but S-H does shade it. Mayrhofen is one of the shortest transfers from Innsbruck - I'd probably use SZG for S-H (though we had to fly back from Innsbruck after Zell am See after BA emailed to say our SZG flight was cancelled... at 5am on the day of departure. Their great IT failure of March 2022, and it's not too far)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@beano, in answer to your question, in order to qualify for the discount, you need not be an Austrian citizen, but you do need to have registered your property as a “Hauptwohnsitz” (main residence), or to be employed in the area.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tatmanstours wrote:
@beano, in answer to your question, in order to qualify for the discount, you need not be an Austrian citizen, but you do need to have registered your property as a “Hauptwohnsitz” (main residence), or to be employed in the area.

@tatmanstours thanks for the info, probably not eligable then but I will check it out again.

How was Saalbach this summer? I did not make it round there but Zell was as busy as I've seen in several years. The hotels were loving it but the locals not so much!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tatmanstours, thanks for the info, probably not eligable then but I will check it out again.

How was Saalbach this summer? I did not make it round there but Zell was as busy as I've seen in several years. The hotels were loving it but the locals not so much!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tatmanstours, wonder if there's something similar in the Zillertal.... First winter here for us
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As a rule, discounts for locals aren’t generally advertised due to EU pricing regulations. Indeed, they are illegal unless there is an objective justification for the discount. Ticket office staff are often wary about even discussing such discounts when asked.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Austrian Seagull, I wonder what the “objective justification” is for main residents to get discounts?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tatmanstours wrote:
@Austrian Seagull, I wonder what the “objective justification” is for main residents to get discounts?

The example that is often quoted is local swimming pools, where the locals might already be contributing to the cost of maintenance through their council tax. I struggle to think of a justification for lift pass discounts for locals.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@beano, “ How was Saalbach this summer? I did not make it round there but Zell was as busy as I've seen in several years. The hotels were loving it but the locals not so much!”

Yes, I went to the Wednesday evening Dorffest (street party) in Zell am See last Wednesday, and some of those narrow streets were thronged with tourists and diners (many in Middle Eastern apparel). I’ll probably go again tomorrow, as Spacey and I discovered an excellent little restaurant serving Indian food (the “Ali Baba”).

The social scene is buzzing. The 41st annual Hinterglemm Bauernmarkt took place the weekend before last, and was an amazing street party as usual - marching bands, animals, traditional costumes, arts and crafts, beer tents, dancing on the tables, lots of spectacle.

I got a party of 16 together for the Schloss Kammer last Thursday. Excellent food, service and musical entertainment provided by Jimmy Petterson (author of “Skiing Around The World Vols 1 & 2) and his band.

This Thursday I’ve booked a table at the Hecherhütte for their weekly, “all you can eat”, barbecue, followed by singing and dancing on the terrace to favourite après-ski songs.

On Friday a group of us are going to the newly-opened Haus Franziska rooftop bar/restaurant for a “Taco party” - advertised as a big, “all you can eat” fiesta, including mezcal margaritas, original Mexican tacos with Pinzgau fillings, and desserts.

At this rate I won’t fit into my lederhosen!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dunc999, I have only skied in Austria for last 15 years ish, after being introduced to skiing in my mid life in France, went to Chamonix (x3 ) and Les Arcs (x5) , Whistler Canada (x2)

Since going to Alpbach first (and a further 2 visits ) Obertauren (x2) I then found Saalbach and aside of Covid year when you couldn’t visit, I have been back every year and some years twice, except ….

The year Covid arrived my ski friends (one had done a ski season there and others been before ) persuaded me to go to Mayrhofen in January, really loved it, but found it fragmented as we caught train to get to Kaltenbach (my favourite) and other areas. Found village great for restaurants and atmosphere, but apres was strange , beer at end of skiing and then had to get the gondola down to village and then apres again, lost momentum(each to their own!)

Would I go back to Mayrhofen, yes, but only if it was a 3rd trip of the year after 2 to Saalbach (please lottery )

In short, Saalbach will not disappoint for a boys trip, our group are 40/50’s and couple of youngsters in their late 30’s
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ribblevalleyblue, Agreed, I would never rate Mayrhofen above or equal to Saalbach. I spent four weeks in total in Mayrhofen, admittedly decades ago, but the lack of village-level pistes, properly joined-up skiing, and ski-in, ski out possibilities are all off-putting.
I did enjoy the general atmosphere and was entranced by the Austrian culture, but for me Saalbach and the Ski Circus represented a considerable improvement. I would never have gone back to Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am thinking about booking a month in Alpbach, Austia from mid-Feb to mid-March 2024.
Never been before. Was in Wengen last year same dates but the snow was very bad - lots of green and very little white.
Was informed that Alpbach, due to being inland, did not suffer the same bad snow conditions.
Good place to ski?
Busy?
Any other info would be welcome.
Many thanks.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Creature, the skiing in Alpbach isn't huge, but you are close to lots of resorts there.

If you bought yourself a snowcard Tirol pass you'd have access to loads of places nearby, in particular the Zillertal just next door. You're also close to the Skiwelt as well. That's before you even consider the number of smaller ski areas around there too.

Would you plan on having a car while you're over for a month? If so, that would make visiting other areas really easy.
snow report
@Creature,
May I tentatively suggest that you may get more of a response to your post if you open a new topic, rather than place it in a thread dedicated to Saalbach and the Ski Circus?
snow conditions
@toyah807, @buchanan101, @ribblevalleyblue, @tatmanstours, thanks all for your advice and informative input! The area and staying in Saalbach is now officially under careful consideration for January!!
latest report
@dunc999, if you finally decide on Saalbach, I would recommend staying in the upper part of the village, near to the Kohlmaisbahn or Bernkogelbahn gondola stations. If you end up down by the main road, nearest to the Schattberg Xpress lift station, you will still have a good time and will at least find it easier to hop onto ski buses going in either direction. But most people like to ski down the south-facing slopes at the end of the day, where the main après-ski venues are also located. And staying in the upper part of the village tends to save a certain amount of uphill yomping.
If you need to hire equipment, go to Hansi’s Best-Price and mention my name for an additional discount. Hansi’s shop is next door but one to Bobby’s Pub at the bottom end of the main village street. Hansi’s equipment, service and prices are all good, and he will give you a welcome schnapps from the bar in his shop.
snow report
Can attest to using Hansi's Best-Price, we took @tatmantours advice on it a few years back and have used them every time since. Cheapest prices and really good kit.
snow conditions
Thanks for the recommendation, we have our own kit, but if anyone decides not to bring will bear it in mind.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, Good to hear Saalbach busy as well, I forgot about the Hecherhütte summer bbq haven't been since 2015. Great food and brilliant party, is the pool still available for use earlier on, my kids used to love it.

Roof top Taco bar sounds great, I will try this winter hopefully Smile

The arab guests numbers are up a lot this year as apparently the Zell tourist office invited some hi profile arab social media influncers over for a freebie and got a lot of publicity from it in the middle east. The locals are worried it will put off european visitors going forward. I personally find it quite cosmopolitan but it did make some restaurants and certain attractions very busy.
ski holidays
@beano, “ is the pool still available for use earlier on, my kids used to love it.”

Yes, it’s always available to anyone going up there for a meal.

And yes, the Arabs are there in force; also very much so in Kaprun. Apparently they love the cooler temperatures and greenery. And the concern about them taking over and putting off tourists from Austria, Germany, etc. was being voiced before the pandemic brought a temporary halt to tourism from the Middle East. It appears that the tourist board has no such worries.
ski holidays
@toyah807, @buchanan101[[b]@buchanan101,
I am in group of intermendiates that goes to both Mayrhofen and Saalback and would take SB any day. Better linked ski area.Lots of great terrain for intermediates. Plenty of options in the morning to go in different directions so you are not covering the same ground and there is plenty of good on slope bars and restaurants and apres ski. Its also helpful that it is a quick hop from Salzberg airport.
latest report
@swskier, Thanks for your input regarding Alpbach. Much appreciated.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, That's a very good idea. Kind of new to this, so thanks for your input.
snow conditions
The Audi FIS Ski World Cup Final 2024 takes place in Saalbach Hinterglemm from 16 to 24 March 2024.

Tickets go on sale tomorrow , 1 September

www.saalbach.com/worldcupfinals
snow report
The schedule

snow report
@radar, thanks for the heads up!

In case it's useful further info, apparently one day tickets will be available in October - these are two or three day tickets.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What an absolutely delightful gem of a Christmas film! Especially for lovers of Saalbach and Austria. If you can’t spare 54 minutes of your time to watch all of it, fast forward to 28 mins, where you will be treated to scenes of John Denver skiing in Saalbach, 31 mins, where he and Julie Andrews enter the Hinterhag Alm, and 36 mins, where they talk about Saalbach and sing “Edelweiss” in the Hinterhag Alm.
Also featuring breathtaking scenes of Salzburgerland, Austria - Mondsee Cathedral, Salzburg and various locations from The Sound Of Music, the voice of Placido Domingo, and some amusing and entertaining scenes.
Highly recommended!

http://youtube.com/v/h5RAAeTbmck?si=vm0VKfeExcIsDkoc
snow report
Hi folks, lots of talk in this thread about groups of lads going to Saalbach. We are a group of lads who usually ski in Mayrhofen and do day trips to Kaltenbach, Zell am Ziller and Hintertux. We would love to try Saalbach this year but the only accommodation seems to be in Hinterglem. I skied in Saalbach around 15 years ago and would prefer to stay close to the main strip in Saalbach. Anywhere I have emailed seems to be booked out. I think our issue may be that we usually ski for a long weekend from a Thursday to a Tuesday. This is no issue for our Mayrhofen accommodation but doesn’t seem to work for Saalbach.
Will Hinterglem be okay for a group of late 40’s lads looking for a bit of apres?
snow report
@donie75, as always it depends on your definition of apres - Hinterglemm is as good a location as any for entry to the circuit, and has a lot of good skiing at that end of the valley, but if you want to spend a lot of time in Feiberbrunn or Leogang or even Zell then it is less convenient if you want to ski back home at the end of the day. If you're looking for table dance bars, there are none in Hinterglemm anymore since Tanzhimmel burned down wink

Within Hinterglemm the primary apres places are the Goaßstall on the Reiterkogel side, and Unterschwarzach on the Ubahn side, both of which are large and lively. There are also a couple of small bars in the main street which can be lively at times, but they're smallish - the area outside the Dorfschmeide hotel had been converted to rustic furniture last year and could seat about 20 people with maybe another 15 standing in the street and blocking the entrance to the restaurant behind, but that's about it.

Alternatively, choose to finish your day in Saalbach and then get a bus or taxi back. It's not going to break the bank for a group to jump in a taxi, and with much of the accommodation up a hill you'll appreciate the door to door service.

Hinterglemm used to have a couple of really good restaurants, but that has waned a little over the years. The exception is that Jennerwein has turned into a really good place to eat, and is therefore correspondingly busy. We found the service was excellent, and the food was top notch. By comparison, the flashy Thomsn pizza/burger bar was pretty average for food, though the service was reasonable. And for those wanting something light and at the budget end, Dodos cafe bar was excellent and had a good atmosphere.
snow conditions
@donie75, Taxis are plentiful , the fare from Saalbach is around €20 to 25 and they will take 6, there is also the Nightrider at €5 each it goes from the Shattberg Xpress and stops at all the bus stops on request, as has been said above the advantage with a taxi is door to door service.

I second Dodos, it isn’t classic Austrian apre, which you may not want every night, it along with the Jennerwein is a favourite.

I would add Liemers and Heurigenstube as reasonable places to eat, if you want something special then the Xandl Stall in the evening, it’s also a good place for lunch and end of day beers. For the evening you can walk to it in 15 minutes from town or grab a taxi

To get over to Fieberbrunn use the Reiterkogel and Sunliner, getting back into Hinterglem is straightforward, getting to Leogang or rather getting back takes a bit more effort
snow report
I recently saw a good deal in Leogang (when considering a group trip of older friends, few drinks after skiing but no need for anything crazy) for January and I was wondering whether there is much going on there or many places to eat? I have always loved the skiing above and down into the village but not considered staying there. The property I found is nearer the Asitz lift and slopes than main town so that is where we would likely end the day.
ski holidays
@toyah807, when I first discovered the Ski Circus 37 years ago, I stayed four times in Hütten, which is the area of Leogang around the bottom of the Asitzbahn. I enjoyed the feeling of being off the beaten track - a back door into a big ski area, and also the convenience of the skiing - virtually ski-in ski-out, which after hiking through Mayrhofen, Val d’Isere/Tignes, and Verbier on previous holidays came as a nice change. I also enjoyed the extent and variety of the skiing. All those reasons contributed to me starting to organise annual chalet parties, which began in Leogang and continued through the 1990s and early 2000s. I also developed a real affinity for the Austrian culture and feel of skiing in Austria, and of course the Ski Circus in particular.

Of course much has changed: Hütten area has become relatively developed, two fast gondolas have replaced the old slow, two-stage chairlift, and new restaurants have been built.
During a typical ski season it’s normal for me to ski over to Leogang several times a week, so I know it fairly intimately.

I would say that the points in favour of staying in Hütten (not Leogang village itself, which, as you say, is not convenient for accessing the skiing) are:
1. It has some of the best intermediate skiing in the whole Ski Circus
2. The mountain restaurants are probably the best and most interesting in the entire area (I’m always lost for choice between the Alte Schmiede, the Asitzbräu, Mama Thresl’s Hendl Fischerei, the Stöcklalm, the Forsthofalm/Holzhotel, and the Kralleralm).
3. It’s easy to find conveniently-located accommodation
4. You have access to all the skiing in the Ski Circus, plus Zell am See and Kaprun - so 408km all on one pass.

The points against:
1. It’s a back door into the Ski Circus; Saalbach is the hub and some people might prefer being at the centre
2. You tend to be skiing over to the main Glemm valley most days, and therefore covering the same terrain there and back; and you have a long way to ski to explore the far reaches of the area, for example the Zwölferkogel.
3. You always have to keep an eye on the time, so as not to be stranded in the wrong valley and facing a very expensive taxi ride around the mountains via Saalfelden, back to Leogang
4. During the early part of the season (December and most of January), the slopes of Leogang, being primarily north-facing, feel cold and shady, particularly towards the bottom, so not ideal for sun worshippers
5. The après-ski is limited. Although my knowledge of what goes on after 3.30pm is somewhat limited, you certainly don’t have the energetic atmosphere of Saalbach, and to a lesser extent Hinterglemm. I decided in the early 2000s that I much preferred to be located in Saalbach, with an unproblematic, leisurely ski down, and the option of calling at one or two of the après-ski venues.

In conclusion I would say that the option you’re considering is not at all a bad one, and it has many attractions over other resorts. And it’s a subjective thing, but I would say that there are a few (possibly acceptable, at least for one holiday) compromises that have to be accepted, when comparing being based over at Leogang, rather than more centrally in the ski area.
latest report
@tatmanstours, thanks. Very helpful and informative, as ever! Saalbach would have been first choice but I have struggled to find availability of accommodation at a price I would be happy to 'sell' to my friends, though that is more about us than the objective price:value:location ratio of the S/H side.
ski holidays
@toyah807, message me if I can be of any help. I’m in touch with a fair few British apartment owners in Saalbach, and who let their apartments on a weekly basis to holidaymakers. The accommodation ranges from a budget-priced studio for four on the outskirts, to a slightly more expensive (but still reasonable) two/three room, centrally located, virtually ski-in ski-out apartment.
I’m always happy to chat over the telephone too.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, thanks, I will pm you.
snow report
Thanks for everyone who gave advice earlier on the thread, we have now confirmed out first ever trip to Saalbach last week of January. I've DIY'd it with BA flights from LGW-SZG, transfer with Alps2Alps and staying at Hotel Astrid, which looks lovely and is on the blue 151 home run. We're all very excited!!
latest report
The 2023/2024 Piste Map is now available on the Saalbach website (https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/ski-resort/piste-map) with the new Limberg 8er clearly marked.
ski holidays
I drove past Hochalm a couple of days ago, and I don’t know what they’re doing around the bottom of pistes 40 and 50a - a pretty major construction project, maybe a bridge or tunnel to get you across the road from the bottom of piste 40 to the Hochalmbahn lift station. If that’s all it is, it seems an expensive way of facilitating skiers to cross the road.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy