Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Disabled skiing in Telford, Shropshire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick post to let every one know that my local slope, Telford Snowboard & Ski Centre has just put a number of Instructors through the Snow Sport England Disabled awareness course and has purchased a range of ski equipment aimed at disabled skiers.

The aim is to run regular sessions and if you are interested please contact the slope for more details:

http://www.telford.gov.uk/Leisure+culture+and+tourism/Leisure+centres/Ski+centre/

or Tel. 01952 382688

snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
david@mediacopy, what does the course involved? Who run it, and was it good?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beanie1, Mike Hammond was the SSE tutor. The course ran over the weekend and is designed to familiarise instructors with the issues related to working with people of assorted disabilities. We did a fair bit of 1 legged skiing with and also practised blind guiding and using the assorted duo / mono skis as well as running through different scenarios.

As with most things common sense make a good guide but it did highlight potential problems \ issue which I would not have thought of or known enough about.

Good course Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
david@mediacopy, if you enjoyed it you should give the BASI L1 Adaptive course a go.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, Have you done the BASI version ? It was mentioned during the weekend but apparently there is a more 'medical' focus ? To be honest I'll learn more now by doing, and I'd have to pay for the basi L1 if I did it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy, yes I've done it. I wouldn't describe it as a medical focus as such, but you do have to have an understanding of the most common conditions you may come across, how they may present and any red flag issues. To be honest I think this knowledge is essential to a. selecting the appropriate equipment for the client, and b. ensuring their safety.

It's a very rewarding course, I learnt an immense amount.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
david@mediacopy,
It sounds like you covered a lot of areas over the weekend. I've always been a bit wary of such courses as there is potential for a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.
It's great that you enjoyed the course and it sounds like you want to develop your interest further. As beanie1, says, you should think about giving the BASI L1 Adaptive a go.
In the meantime, try and do some shadowing and get some hands on experience alongside a qualified and experienced instructor.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SaraJ wrote:
I've always been a bit wary of such courses as there is potential for a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.

You should try the SSE course, I'm sure you'll find your concerns miss-placed Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, david@mediacopy, I've been teaching adaptive skiing for quite a few years now and have the BASI Adaptive L3 qualification... Which is why I'm a little wary of courses that cover a lot of information in a short space of time. I'm sure it was a good introduction though, after all, it is called the Disabled Awareness course. Like I said, great that you enjoyed it and want to get more involved. Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just to reiterate my opening post, which was to let people know that my local ski centre has just spent a load of money on equipment and training so that it can offer skiing to groups or individuals who may be disabled. Please get in touch with the slope if you are interested. The slope is council operated and conforms to all the usual health and safety / risk assessments / training as demanded by a local authority. The Instructors (myself included) have prior experience working with people with disabilities and have expert help to call upon should your situation be out side of our knowledge.

david@mediacopy wrote:
Just a quick post to let every one know that my local slope, Telford Snowboard & Ski Centre has just put a number of Instructors through the Snow Sport England Disabled awareness course and has purchased a range of ski equipment aimed at disabled skiers.

The aim is to run regular sessions and if you are interested please contact the slope for more details:

http://www.telford.gov.uk/Leisure+culture+and+tourism/Leisure+centres/Ski+centre/

or Tel. 01952 382688

snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy