Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help Needed Please !!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello to all,
I am 40 years old and I was diagnosed with Parkinson's at the ripe old age of 30. Have been skiing since the age of 12 used to be pretty good but have seen a steady decline in the past 6 years. Just returned from Les 2 Alpes having fractured a rib on my first run off my first day, and on a green !!! I think it is about time to ask for help before I do myself some serious harm. I would be really very grateful for any suggestions, help etc. I love my skiing and am really loathed to give it up.

Thanks for reading
Regards to all
Tallguy NehNeh
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tallguy, Hi and welcome to slushNuts. There's not a lot I can say as I've no experience of Parkinson's at all as the 'C' seems to dominate my familial genome Confused

All I can offer is that our strongest muscle is our desire to experience pleasure. Age and infirmity form an obscene coupling in an attempt to limit that . . . all we can do is rail agin it and those that seek to limit our desires by defining our abilities for us. I wish you well and hope you never lose your love of sliding.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads tallguy snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the welcome !! Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tallguy, welcome & so sorry to hear of your mishap - what a horrid start to a trip. I was in LDA recently (7-21st March) myself with a trip I helped organise for 2 groups of older/more cautious/previous injured skiers. We had small group lessons from Easiski (max 4 people) tailored to the needs of each class. We're hoping to run something similar again next year too as it was very successful.

Why don't you consider having a 1:1 lesson or two with an experienced ski instructor who might be able to give you some specific advice on modifying your skiing techniques to suit your needs? It might be worth posting a request in the BendZeKnees forum for advice from any instructors who lurk there who have experience of clients with Parkinsons or other physically limiting conditions.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the suggestions butterfly, will ask about instruction next time i am wiping people out at the chill factore !!!!
Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you go to Chill Factor e they have an Adaptive Skking school run by Disability Snowsport UK. 0161 749 2290.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Smokey Joe, I see your organising the skiathon at the ChillFactorE, have you had a good response ? Can you use the lifts or do you have to walk up ??!!!!!!!!!!?!??
Regards
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tallguy, Yes the response for the Skiathon has been OK, Could do with more people registering though! It's all over the UK at various slopes. You can use the lifts and they can be counted for in the challenge!

Are you up for doing it?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Smokey Joe, Yes I think i will, just need to arrange the day off work. I would do it at the chill factore which is 180m long so I would have to do either 16 or 32 ascents and descents. The question is am I feeling fit and healthy ??
So i'm assuming you are doing it at the chill factore ?? I am assuming it will be quieter first thing in the morning ??
Regards
Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tallguy, Welcome to snowHeads. As per usual I can offer no suitable advice, but good luck in your quest.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tallguy, I think it will be quieter in the morning, we will be there counting runs from 3pm - 8.30pm. Good luck.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a company based in the UK called Redpoint who have an Adaptive Ski Programme. Their aim is to provide skiing opportunity to anyone no matter what their disability is. Own English speaking Instructors. Skiing is in Zillertal in Austria. Have a look at www.redpoint.co.uk. Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tallguy, perhaps a trip across the pond...

Whistler, Aspen, Vail, any other Vail resorts... I think most of teh USA resorts have an adaptive program. I was skiing just recently with a person who like you has young onset parkinsons... We discussed the possibility of outriggers as that person has progressing issues with balance... I know Challenge Aspen was particularly useful in helping my instructor devise teaching strategy for me(I also have balance issues)... So I'd suggest going to one of these places with a big adaptive program and seeing what they suggest...

I believe Whistler revamped their program as a lead up to the winter Olympics and it is very good now. Perhaps a trip to Whistler?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks pollyski and littletiger for the info - I like the sound of a trip to whistler littletiger sounds like the place to be next year, went there about 12 years ago in the middle of summer, but would love to see it in the winter.
snow report
tallguy, Remember they have the winter olympics in whistler next year so it will be busy around there then.... OTOH the paralympics are after that and you can see the good guys ski Wink

Perhaps Breckenridge in 2010 and Whistler the next year?

http://www.boec.org/programs/adaptive-ski-ride-school/

http://www.challengeaspen.org/index.cfm

http://www.whistleradaptive.com/programs.php

http://www.sitski.com/pg3.htm - search for a location you want to go to...
snow report
tallguy, Have a look at using a Snowbike/Skibob, takes all the pressure off the back and legs, Brenter and Stalmach are the 2 Austrian companies; you wear little tiny skis on your feet, so all the lifts can be used as normal. Just like riding a bike but with 2 skis instead of 2 wheels. Not all resorts will allow them, and you have to do short 2 hour course to gain a certificate to prove you are competent, after that, you can go anywhere that allows them. There are hire stations all over the world. Just check their websites out:

http://www.snowbike.us/e-rent.htm

http://www.stalmach.com/htm/skibob-snowbike-en/adaptive-sport/wintersport-for-adaptive-people.htm
ski holidays
I've seen people using these in Wengen.
snow conditions
beanie1, We get stopped everywhere we go to answer questions about them, they have certainly extended our time on the mountains, otherwise bad knees would have meant the end of our skiing days. We did contact Disability Snowsport UK to ask why they don't promote them (as they are used in the USA to help amputees, usually ex-service personnel) but we got no response! They obviously don't think there is a calling for them, which is such a shame, there must be loads of people that give up skiing once their knees, hips etc can't take the standing position, not knowing there are commercial alternatives at there that you can hire for the same cost as a pair of skis. In Amsterdam you can even hire them in their indoor snow center!
ski holidays
Hi. Don't fret; help might be on its way.
I have been skiing for more than thirty years and was a good skier - until three years ago. Now I am sixty-four and have Parkinsons. I have had the symptons for more than three years but became very depressed when they started eating away at my ability to ski (my feet seemed to have a mind of their own) and by the time the '08 season arrived I had accepted that my skiing days were probably over. Then someone suggested that snowblades might allow my weakening knees more control, so I bought some off Ebay. But the improvement was minimal and didn't provide an adequate answer. In fact while trying to ride them in Italy last year they just compounded my nervousness, when I had a fall and one of the quick release bindings broke off!! I was at my wits end; but then a ski depot mechanic, who evidently had lots of experience, suggested I tried 'Short Skis' (I didn't know there was such an official permutation). So I tried them, and the difference was amazing, instantly opening a door on new and continuing possibilities for fun. I was back to where I had been before Parkinsons had first claimed me.
Back in England I located a retailer who had a pair of Salomon Crossmax 120 in their end of season sale, bought them and then quickly headed for the Chill Factor indoor snow slope in Manchester, where I was delighted to find that my Italian success was not just an overnight wonder.
I had previously been used to riding on 180 skis, but my Parkinsons effected knees could no longer cope with the weight and leverage such a length inflicted on my joints, as well as the additional anxiety (which makes Parkinsons symptoms a lot worse). Shorter (120 cm) skis reduced this burden; however, I am certainly not suggesting that they provide a magic answer for those who are trying to learn from scratch, but they might just make it a bit easier.
Make no mistake: Salomon's short skis (and other makes) have been designed and made specifically for a serious but fun filled purpose. They are not children's skis that indolent or disabled adults have co-opted. The bindings are mounted with this in mind and can even accommodate my UK size 12 boots. And they just fit inside a light-weight travel type golf bag (along with their owner's clothes) and so avoid additional ski carriage charges.
Hope this helps.
snow conditions
Hey ho.. Tall Guy..
Just cruising the site.. I dont know about the parkinsons issue BUT
I'm 68 with wrecked knees and a love of skiing and I've solved my problem by buying a mono-ski.. sometimes called sitski ..
It's the gnarly version of the 'chair on a ski' for the disabled with upper body mobility.. they do GS and slalom in the paralympics on them..

I'm in Sheffield but go fairly regularly to chillfactore.. (I was there today). I originally learnt to sitski there with Dominik and now Rachel. and I go to the ski school in Are (sweden) for holidays/instruction etc.. The point is that the machine is really good .. if feels much like skiing and is skiing.. I dont know what those bike things are like on a red mogul field or half pipe.. but the sitski can handle it.. even if I cant sometimes!

You live in Stockport.. 15 minutes from Chille.. my advice is get hold of Disability snowsports and book yourself a lesson on the revolution pro comp ski they've got there and give it a whirl.. It got me back into the mountains .. dancing again..

Type sitski into youtube.. or even look at a video I put on to thank the Are school under jwehyam.. its only playing on the beginners slope (foul weather) but you will get the idea.
snow conditions
weyham wrote:
Hey ho.. Tall Guy..
Just cruising the site.. I dont know about the parkinsons issue BUT
I'm 68 with wrecked knees and a love of skiing and I've solved my problem by buying a mono-ski.. sometimes called sitski ..
It's the gnarly version of the 'chair on a ski' for the disabled with upper body mobility.. they do GS and slalom in the paralympics on them..

I'm in Sheffield but go fairly regularly to chillfactore.. (I was there today). I originally learnt to sitski there with Dominik and now Rachel. and I go to the ski school in Are (sweden) for holidays/instruction etc.. The point is that the machine is really good .. if feels much like skiing and is skiing.. I dont know what those bike things are like on a red mogul field or half pipe.. but the sitski can handle it.. even if I cant sometimes!

You live in Stockport.. 15 minutes from Chille.. my advice is get hold of Disability snowsports and book yourself a lesson on the revolution pro comp ski they've got there and give it a whirl.. It got me back into the mountains .. dancing again..

Type sitski into youtube.. or even look at a video I put on to thank the Are school under jwehyam.. its only playing on the beginners slope (foul weather) but you will get the idea.

Hey ho ....
I can see you still skiing Wink is Dom, hows things? where are you going this year?
latest report
hi everyone,
i am responding to this because i was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease 14 years ago in 1997, when i was 40 years old, and i still ski pretty well. i know a few other people with PD who still ski fairly well. we think the key is that our exercise program includes a lot of exercises that challenge our balance.
don't ever let your doctors or anyone else tell you that Parkinson's inevitably will disable you
shakingandstillskiing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy