Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise advice/encouragment needed

Poster: A snowHead
I've been giving it a go but you're probably right. I might be utterly rubbish in a class though and drive everyone potty. But I'll never know unless I try...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hyweljenkins wrote:
snobunni, I'm 5'10" and 76kg.

I think clothing sizes are changing. I recently bought clothes in "Small" from Fat Face, Berghaus, Next and Snow & Rock. They all fit me properly.

And conversely, don't ever go by the sizes of Superdry clothing. I'm normally a M, but for Superdry t-shirts an XL!!! The do stuff in XS....god alone knows who they would fit!?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia, Pilates classes (good ones, at any rate) are very slow moving, calm, and with careful, precise, instructions. Damned hard work though. You'll be fine - it won't be like my experience when I went to a Step class in in a gym in Sydney (I was on a work trip) which turned out to be led by a very athletic black dancer and consisted 75% of divinely good looking gay men showing off their moves. My previous experience of step classes at Havant Leisure Centre did not prevent my feeling like a poorly coordinated prop forward in the corps de ballet.
Quote:
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Clothes sizes definitely changing, it also depends where you shop. If you shop at shops designed for women as opposed to teenage girls the sizes are considerably larger. For example, I am 5'7, normal BMI and yet I am a size 6 in Reiss! And rarely more than 8 in any similar shop. However in somewhere like Top Shop I will be a size 10 - 12. This is all marketing - women much more likely to buy smaller sizes!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, the class is run by one of the UKs leading instructors she just happens to be a local girl so there are local classes. The bridge centre is literally 2mins walk from your house lol just over the scary bridge and next to the newsagents on cromford road Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
After a few months inactivity, plus the same, if not more calorific diet, I am now overweight ( I have put on 4kg)and can sympathise with many who have posted on this thread. I used to be quite unsympathetic, telling people to use more calories and take in less. Oh how smug was I?

About BMI- this is no longer the only measurement to be taken. It is now also recommended that waste size is measured. That is horizontally around the belly button and above the V of the hips (or where the V would be if you were not fat!) You need to aim for under 37" for men and under 34" for women, ideally.
As has been mentioned afore, when starting exercise, losing weight is not necessarily the be all and end all. Getting toned and changing body shape is important. Apparently, at the height of his body training, Arnold Szwartchenneger (spelt different) had the same BMI as James Bellishi ( bit of a porker for those who don't remember)

I am not allowed, or able to do serious, ballistic exercises again (yet) so will have to start eating and drinking less Sad . I am going to pilates, but not sure what I'm meant to get out of it. Yoga this afternoon, which is more interesting than strenuous. The teacher can spread her legs then put her head on the floor between. Can't wait to see what she does today Shock
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JulesB, i'm guessing you've been injured? What about swimming?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JulesB, same happened to me with 9 weeks of enforced inactivity (at 35). Could eat any amount before then (and did) but have had to be careful ever since. Probably exactly the wrong time of life for such an injury to happen!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think i'm going to ignore BMI and weight and concerntrate on feeling fitter and healthier. I knew i was unfit and unhealthy and now i'm doing something about it. Numbers dont really mean anything (just gives me something to obsess over that i dont really understand) i think how i feel and what i see in the mirror will be the best measurement. I used eyeliner to mark my chest, waist, hip and thigh measurements on the mirror this morning, so i can track the changes everynow and then visually. Not scientific but an easy measure of progress.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snobunni, sounds like a good plan!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, mr S thought i'd gone mad though tracing my outline on the mirror Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snobunni, I love the outline idea Laughing Do you have any nice clothes that you can no longer fit into, and aim to look good in ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, see "snowhead down" tried swimming for !st time yesterday (since accident didn't drown) Not as bad as I expected.
snobunni, sounds like a healthy approach (as it were). My bench mark will be when I can comfortably wear work trousers again. Back to work on Friday, possibly in jogging bottoms.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snobunni, perfect attitude.... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I go running with my housemates at least once a week. Its the only exercise one of them does so she tends to belt it, I am training for the half marathon so am better at distance than speed and the other one goes to the gym every day but hates running - we all encourage each other but I have to say I prefer running on my own with my ipod Smile
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, I'm in to running too. Fantastic aerobic exercise, great for skiing and burns loads of calories! Did my first half mara last Autumn - which one are you doing?
latest report
snobunni, great attitude chick. From what I can see you certainly don't look obese. By contrast my BMI is about 25 but I wear a size 14/16. There's no logic to it really...

Anyway, the Bridge Centre class definitely sounds worth a try. I warn you now, I'm rubbish at it! LOL! Very Happy

I'm also at Heanor pool most Saturdays around midday if you fancy adding swimming to your regime. I'm rubbish at that too. I didn't learn to swim until I was 19 and I'm one of those head out of the water terrified expression types. But I do manage 20-30 lengths at a reasonable pace, plus there's the nice (!) uphill walk to get there...
ski holidays
beanie1, The Reading half on the 29th. Prior to starting training last year I would NEVER have said I could run more than a mile, I hated it. However it isnt nearly as horrific as I thought it would be and I love being outdoors rather than in a sweaty gym. I've been getting into the tempo runs a bit more which is meant to be brilliant for burning off the evil calories!
latest report
Nadenoodlee, I'm doing that too! Or meant to be, but may have to pull out if I get some teaching work.

I'm a very slow runner. Built up my distances to longest run of 16 miles (also training for Edinburgh marathon), but still pretty slow. So also trying to get faster on my tempo runs.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Prior to starting training last year I would NEVER have said I could run more than a mile, I hated it.

This struck a real chord with me; I've always loathed running, even going back to (or maybe stemming from?) school days when our track was on a field with a steep pitch and they always made us run uphill. I'll walk for miles, but I won't run. But thinking about losing some weight, doing more physical exercise in the summer and what will fit in with running an unpredictable business (ranging from busy to manic), I am reluctantly - kicking and screaming - coming to the conclusion that running might be the answer. I much prefer cycling, but the dog doesn't like bikes (and is too large to allow to run loose near main roads) and at least if I run I can take the dog too (or at least I will be able to when there isn't 2 ft of snow on the ground). How did you overcome the mental barrier to even getting started, Nade?
ski holidays
queen bodecia, dont worry about being rubbish, Rachel explains things very clearly and will wander over and manipulate you into the right position as needed lol There are many people in the class that go along and just go through the mothions, making the movements without the underlying correct muscle use (you can tell them as they are the ones that find it easy but arent massively honed and toned, you'll see what i mean next week lol)

I do a bit of swimming at the gym but i think i need technique lessons, i find that i do the head out the water thing (mainly because i wear contacts) and i end up with really stiff/painful shoulders/neck. I have seen that my gym is advertising alexander technique swimming lessons so i might give that a go . . .
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, there's quite a bit of stuff about links between running and migraines (ref your other thread about this). Have the migraines started since the running?
latest report
snobunni wrote:
[ ... ]
I do a bit of swimming at the gym but i think i need technique lessons, i find that i do the head out the water thing (mainly because i wear contacts) and i end up with really stiff/painful shoulders/neck. I have seen that my gym is advertising Alexander technique swimming lessons so i might give that a go . . .

like you I get pain for the same reason but in lower back, never heard of Alexander Tech for swimming, great idea though
snow report
eng_ch, I didn't really have a choice. I said I would run the Reading half marathon and signed up and paid my pennies. Then I had a look at "Couch to 5k", got my ipod in gear and off I went. Couch to 5k was awesome and gets you training slowly, you really notice the difference within a week or two.

GO for it! It's cheaper and nicer than the gym too wink
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, what's couch to 5K then?
snow report
helena57, my gym is advertising something called 'the art of swimming', i cant remeber the name of the guy who developed it but its literally the alexander technique applied to swimming, you get on land and in water lessons . . . i'm looking into it but i might just go for ordinary alexander technique lessons, i've been interested in it for a while (did my 2nd year dis at uni on its application to riding) and i noticed when i was out walking on sunday that i'm clearly quite lobsided at the moment because the mud splashes went up much higher on the back of one leg than the other yet i had swapped sides of the paths several times so i dont think it was just that my right leg was in the muddy bit more than my left . . .
snow report
how about this for a home equipment ? http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.531696/walk.yah.UKHG~U401

I always hated running, now I fear that I am a bit too old for starting to run, I do not want to "fall apart "rolling eyes

eng ch put "couch to 5 k " into google and it comes up Smile, looks good too Little Angel

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 19-02-09 0:40; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
snobunni, that does sound interesting. That "head out of the water" style of swimming is certainly v bad for necks - and by the time you add breastroke (contraindicated for knee injuries as most of us have a screwkick), plus all the piddle and/or chlorine in the water, it probably does some of us more harm than good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snobunni, next week...?

You're on... Very Happy
latest report
queen bodecia, cool, i'll walk round to yours about 7.10 next tuesday, that gives us time to wander down to the bridge centre and get a good matt position, have you got a yoga matt? I can bring a spare if not.
ski holidays
pam w, thank you, I will certainly tell the Migraine doctor person on Monday.
latest report
snobunni, 75kg is too heavy for you, as you know. Weigh yourself once a week and use a tape measure so you can see if you're losing inches. If you don't already, then incorporate a bit of weight training as well. This will create more muscle mass (not noticeable muscle mass) which burns more calories.
As for you not losing weight, I would suggest that you aren't sticking to your 1000-1500 calories a day. (Been there, done that, every diet going).
snow report
erica2004, i have lost inches just not weight, which is why i'm so confused.

As for sticking to the calorie count i'm confident i'm accurate there, i am only using recipes that give a calorie count, i'm measuring everything, using the exact ingredients i.e skimmed milk etc and sticking to the correct portion size and finding i'm actually eating less than i'm allowed in my evening meal. I'm not snacking except for an apple mid morning as i eat breakfast so early. I have calculated my basic metabolic rate, underestimated the amount of exercise i'm doing to come up with my mainenence level of calories which is 2079 so my careful meal planning to come in at under 1500 a day should result in losing 1lb per week (on the basis that 1lb of fat = 3500 calories therefore a reduction of 500 calories ad day from my maintenance level should result in 1lb a week).

Following the advice on here i have changed my gym regime the last couple of days, i now do 30-40mins on the treadmill at a variable incline between 5 and 10% (i warm up for 2mins at 5% then 2 mins at 7.5% then up it to 10% for 10mins, then down to 7.5% for 2mins 'rest' and continue in that pattern), i'm then on the cross trainer doing interval training for 15-20mins, then using some of the resistance machines (i dont have a proper plan with these yet but i'm seeing the well being advisor next week) i dont know what their all called but i'm doing one where i rest on my elbows and lift my knees up to my chest, i do 3 sets of 10 on this, once i get better at it ie it doesnt kill me i'm going to add lifting my knees to one side then the other, i'm using 2 machines for the legs, an abdominal crunch thing, on all of these its 3 sets of 10 at 15kg except the legs which i have at 25kg. I'm also doing pilates twice a week for flexibility, one of the big changes i wnat to acheive is fatster reactions/movements and flexibility will help with this apparently. At weekends i'm walking with my mum in the Dales.

Improvements i have noticed Very Happy :

Much less wobbly
Better skin
More energy
Shiney hair
Stonger nails
Inches lost
better silloette

Odd things i've noticed Puzzled :

Not sleeping well
no change in weight
more trips to the bathroom
7days late with my period (but negative result when peeing on stick)
Feet are shrinking so shoes dont fit so well

I am seeing the GP at my gym next weds so i'll discuss these with him then . . .
ski holidays
snobunni,
Quote:

Much less wobbly
Better skin
More energy
Shiney hair
Stonger nails
Inches lost
better silloette

all good, don't worry about the weight!

My thoughts on the others:

Quote:

Not sleeping well
- When do you work out? Your HR will remain high for some time after exercising so if you're exercising in the evenings it could cause sleep problems.
Quote:
no change in weight
- as people have said above, this is probably due to building muscle which weighs more than fat so will lose inches but not lose weight.
Quote:
more trips to the bathroom
- i assume you're drinking more water due to increased exercise. i expect the trips to the bathroom will decrease once your body gets used to it.
Quote:
7days late with my period (but negative result when peeing on stick)
- one for the GP i think, but i would take a guess it's related to the change in your lifestyle, your body re-setting itself. Exercise will often help if you suffer from PMS, period pain etc, so it may all be related.
Quote:
Feet are shrinking so shoes dont fit so well
- great excuse to buy new shoes!!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 19-02-09 14:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snobunni, no I don't have a yoga mat but I do have hand weights. 7.10 next Tuesday fine with me... Very Happy
snow conditions
beanie1, i'm working out straight after work so around 6ish, normally home and settled (ie chores done etc) for 8.30. I'm not having trouble getting to sleep but waking up around 1ish then not able to get back to sleep until 4ish with my alarm going off at 5.30 . . .its not fun Sad I have had insomnia for years but solved it last september (changed froma regular pillow to a little tiny one for just my neck) and i had a disturbed night on saturday as our neighbours had a party and woke me up in the early hours so it could just be the after effects of that.

queen bodecia, i'll bring a spare matt for you then, dont need weights, Rachel always brings along any extra equipement she wants us to use, bands, rollers and the like . . . See you tues Smile
ski holidays
Your feet are shrinking because the rest of you is shrinking! It's all good news! Don't you have trainer ppl at your gym? you dont just have to make appointments with them - ask them any time you have a query, thats their job!

erica2004, I wouldn't become a motivational speaker just yet.

Very Happy
latest report
Nadenoodlee, nicely put, I would have chucked my trainers in the bin, and cancelled my gym membership if I had been given similar advice.
snow report
Nadenoodlee, my feet are alread a size 2.5, i'll soon only have stumps left lol
snow conditions
snobunni, really? STOP NOW YOU'LL DISAPPEAR Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy