Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you want to get married in Switzerland ?

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, a while ago whilst I was prolificly posting on the SCGB site I was e-mailed by someone who asked me what I thought of Wengen as a place to get married, anyway I wasn't even sure for certain if it was possible or what it would entail so I looked into it and now I'm going to give out the info for anyone who's interested.

Firstly getting married in Switzerland is possible however you must have a civil ceremony first before any church service, now you can do this in Switzerland though you will need to contact the Swiss Consulate for full details but the basics are below

The procedure is fast and easy. Once you have chosen the municipality in which you would like to hold your wedding, simply get in touch with the local town hall or registry office and send them the appropriate form. All the necessary procedures can be done through correspondence. You will be asked to send a detailed description of the event, as well as a certain number of documents:

Birth certificate
Record of civil status
Proof of residence
Previous marriage certificate, if need be (divorce statement or death certificate)
Once they have all the documents, the cantonal authorities will examine them and will give you their decision within 4 to 5 days. Marriage authorizations are valid for three months, so there is no point in proceeding far in advance. Two months prior to the planned date should suffice.

Some municipalities may state that they do not organize such marriages. In Lausanne, for example, there is said to be too high a demand for marriages of residents and as a consequence, places are limited. In reality, you simply need to press them a bit. You have the right to marry in the municipality of your choice. They may give you a certain delay, but under no circumstances can they refuse to take your request into account.

This procedure costs SFR 500. You will be asked to pay a deposit of SFR 250 to SFR 300 and to settle the balance on the day of your wedding.

Note however that so long as you have a Certificate from say a British Registry Office it is sufficient.

You can now have a Religious Service I think it's called something like a Service of the Celebration of Marriage or words to that effect.

There are two English Churches in Switzerland one in Wengen and the other in Zermatt, the fees in Wengen and I suspect Zermatt work out to 500 SFr which covers hire of the church, the organist and service fees.

Now note that in order to arrange a church wedding in either of these churches you must contact the Intercontinental Church Society who run both of these churches, here's a link to the church on the ICS web site from there you can e-mail the ICS who will I'm sure give you further information

Should you want to get married in Wengen I would be happy to give advice as to suitable places to stay and people to contact there or you could ask me to arrange things for you but for that you'd have to pay a fee I'm afraid, though I would be happy to do so.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice one David, that's a pretty good description of the process.

I (well ok, we) did this in 1992. We had our civil ceremony in the little municipal building in Lauterbrunnen, then a blessing in the English church in Wengen. One other document that we needed to produce was a statement of sanity (I kid you not). You can get this from a Notary Public. The Swiss Authorities may also require that you produce certified translations of some documentation.

It all went very well. The staff at Lauterbrunnen were very nice (we even got a couple of volunteers from amongst the staff as witnesses). Needless to say the blessing in the church was an event we'll never forget. We stayed at the Eiger on that occasion. As memory serves it was a good weeks skiing too!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hadn't been told about the statement of sanity ...... Lucky I'm not planing on getting married at the moment Laughing

One of the reasons I said to contact the consulate in the UK was that they can apparently help out on checking you have the right documentation
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone getting hitched should have their sanity checked!! Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
telfod mike I beleive you about the statement.
My parents had to come to the municipality and sign a paper where they declared they gave me the permission to marry (and I was 27).
But this was in Italy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy