Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Adaptive Second discipline course

Poster: A snowHead
5 people booked on the course now, good stuff! I think we need 6 for it to run?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
8 booked as of today, but surprise, surprise no confirmation as of yet from BASI that the course is running.....

My take on this course is the following, this could all be wrong though!! any comments..

We are doing 2 modules, with each module having one day training and one day assessment.
To be licensed to teach any of the adaptive modules you must also do 12 hours shadowing for each one.
Our adaptive license(s) will only be for artificial slopes even though we are all L2 alpine, this is because we will not be trained to use chair lifts. Each modules license can be "upgraded" to open mountain use with a one day course in the mountains.
Manual will be the PSIA adaptive snowsport instruction manual. I called BASI and as all the trainers are in Zermatt for thenext few weeks didnt know if a manual is included in course fee or not. i will advise

Anyone the wiser as to the shadowing hour required for 2nd discipline? Are they required or not?
As the course is 5 days this leaves a day open IMO, I am just wondering if the last day counts for shadowing hours?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret,
Quote:

Anyone the wiser as to the shadowing hour required for 2nd discipline? Are they required or not?

I've just asked and been told no they're not needed for 2nd discipline.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1 wrote:
skimottaret,
Quote:

I've just asked and been told no they're not needed for 2nd discipline.

That's good, although if an adaptive group is set up at Hemel I'd be happy to go along to see how things work and to help out a little.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, exactly, i'd like to do the shadowing and validate the qualfication, but wouldn't want it to hold back getting ISIA stamp. Not that that's an issue for me as will still have 3 courses to do, but would be for skimottaret,
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beanie1, dont be heaping any pressure on me Toofy Grin not that i am worried about passing or anything (he types while biting his fingertips) Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A few points for clarification.

If you want to have the full licence to teach then shadowing is required. The course cannot fully prepare you for real life situations (just like your original alpine course). There is no distinction between Second Discipline and Adaptive Qualification, they are one and the same so shadowing is required. Shadowing must be with people with disabilities.

The Manual is included in the course fee (I'm 99% sure......) though my disability handbook is not (see earlier posting).

The content for monoski and biski takes 2 days to present and practice so there is no spare day. You will find you/we need every minute available!

No BASI indoor qualification is valid in a mountain scenario. The indoor arena is a controlled environment and does not have the variables that exist on a mountain. In addition there are certain aspects of working with equipment and control that become more apparent and difficult in a mountain environment. Eg in an indoor slope you have a max of 180 metres or so to travel/accelerate on a set slope with few variables - in a mountain it could be a mile or so - so the variables in showing control over an extended run can be more difficult and the standard needs to be met on a slightly steeper slope than an indoor slope (up to steeper blue terrain).

We are planning an adaptive group in Hemel and/or offer regular adaptive lessons (the latter being my preference). Our first challenge is pulling together the equipment we would require. I and working with the DSUK office on that and good progress is being made locating"spare" equipment from existing stock pending ordering new for Hemel. A grant providor has apearently been found which is great.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh - and take a look at http://www.psia-rm.org/ed_materials.php?discipline=Adaptive for resources. Don't look at the exam guides but there are some good downloadable disability notes - though some of them might not makes much sense if you have never seen the equipment!

Cheers
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tomichi, thanks for that, one question though.. As the course is 5 days has it been decided which modules we will take? I am sure we will be busy but am i right in thinking mono and bi takes two days each leaving a day spare?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll check out which have been decided.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Hemel course is planned to be Biski and Learning Difficulties. I see 10 people are booked on the course - to give everyone sufficient hands on time with the various configurations of biski and the confines of an indoor slope we may well need the best part of 3 days on biski !! Jane and I will plan that out before the course as we have a trainers meeting on the 4th June and this will be on the agenda.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tomichi, thanks for the info. I had a go in a biski a couple of weeks ago - great fun!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tomichi, great thanks. Very interested in the Learning Difficulties.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
By the by - You will need to wear a helmet for the biski elements. If you have one bring it. If you do not have one then we do have ones you can borrow for the course. It is comulsory due to the nature of the equipment and risks inherant in working with equipment and clients in close proximity to lifts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did a few runs in a bi-ski a couple of weeks ago and happily wore a helmet. Have to say I was quite nervous on the first run, so was glad to be wearing it. Looking forward to the course.

snow conditions
Tomichi, is the course still planned to be Bi-ski and Learning Difficulties? Want to make sure I've read the manual in advance.

Thanks
snow report
Video clip of me tethering the Bi-ski on the Adaptive course. Many thanks to rob@rar for his excellent camera work!

http://youtube.com/v/NuJvKanMUwU
ski holidays
Apologies for bumping an old thread but it's relavent to my query -

I'm thinking of taking the Adaptive BASI L1 course in Hemel Hempstead at the start of May this year, less than a month from now. I have no experience working with disabled people and know little about disabilities. I have an interest (partially because a friend has one leg and is interested in skiing) but no knowledge. I'll be taking the course as the second discipline for my ISIA and don't necessarily intend on using it. Do you guys think I would have a good chance of passing with no previous experience?

My other thought was to learn how to snowboard and go down that route but it will undoubtably take ages and i'm not that interested in boarding Confused
latest report
musehead, most of us who did it last summer had no experience and we passed. It's hard to say if you'll pass on an internet form, but I'd say an ISIA level skier who's prepared to apply themselves and learn about the different disabilities (which you're tested on) should be able to pass.
snow conditions
musehead, personally i really enjoyed the course and like you had been mulling over what to do on my second discipline. i was originally going to do tele but decided to keep telemarking as a fun thing to do. If you have little interest in getting to a high enough standard to teach boarding i would go adaptive, it helps focus your thinking on how you teach and is just a week out and you will pass. I agree with beanie1, the skiing isnt too difficult but a lot of info to absorb during the week. If you plan to teach full time a snowboard 2nd is valuable and almost essential indoors for the full timers so they can be flexible.

Hemel is now getting an adaptive programme running on sats through DSUK and there is scope to actually use what you have learned.

i did a week teaching VI skiers who also had learning difficulties and it was a real mixed bag for me personally. I really enjoyed a few of the days but with the clients who had severe disabilities i struggled and ended up with a migraine each night. Embarassed
snow report
musehead, definietly go for it. I was on the course with beanie1 and skimottaret and really enjoyed it, although it was a tough week with a huge amount of theory around medical conditions and what adaptions they need to be able to ski as well as some challenging skiing to be done with the adaptive kit. You'll get some very useful info before the course and my advice would be to study it until you are very familiar with the theory.
latest report
musehead, skidog (another snowHead that I know rather well) is doing that course.
ski holidays
beanie1, skimottaret, rob@rar, did you have to complete any shadowing or teaching hours to validate the qualification to count as the second discipline?

I've heard from BASI that shadowing hours are transferrable between disciplines so I wouldn't need to complete any extra, but there's conflicting info in this thread.
ski holidays
musehead, the course itself is enough to gain 2nd discipline, but to gain the adaptive L1 licence you have to do 35 hours of adaptive shadowing. Or at least those were the rules last summer...
snow conditions
musehead, wat rob said is still true.... one thing that is annoying about adaptive that i should bring to your attention is that it changed completely last year from being a set of modules that you could take individually to a more standard Level 1 (one week) and level 2 (two week) course which is in line with the other basi qualifications.. The annoying bit is that the indoor L1 is effectively two of the old modules, Learning difficulties and bi ski which on there own are great but for us who have an Alpine L2 and can teach in mountains you cant use your L1 outside and in order to teach in the mountains you have to take the L2 course which the first week is more or less the same as the L1 LD and Biski modules..

if i had to do it over i would just take a two week course and have my L2 straight away
ski holidays
I'd do asskimottaret, suggests for sure if I had the time, but for me the primary goal was to get the second discipline quickly. As it turned out I really enjoyed the adaptive so now want to do the L2, but I'll wait until I (eventually) finish my L3 before I do that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy