Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Two interesting articles on Andorra

Poster: A snowHead
Two informative pieces on Andorra have appeared in the papers in the past couple of days.

Stephen Wood of The Independent reveals that Andorra increased its share of British skiers for over 12 years up to a couple of years ago - the result of its impressive competitiveness.

Recently the principality decided to improve the quality of skiing and accommodation, offering a combined lift pass between the main resorts (Pas de la Casa and Soldeu). So, can it seriously compete with Alpine skiing? Click here for Stephen Wood's views on that.

Mark Hodson, writing in the Sunday Times, skis Andorra with his 7-year-old son and a tight budget in mind (after giving the lucky lad an initiation to skiing in Aspen the previous year!). Click here for his comparison.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 22-11-04 15:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had hoped these articles would persuade me to dispel my ingrained bigotry against Andorra, but sadly they don't! Sad Sigh.

According to these articles Andorra is still a mecca for price-concious families and stagweekend groups who don't mind the comparative lack of resort charm, lack of slope extensiveness or challenge, longer transfer times...... Except that now the most price conscious shun Andorra for easternbloc slopes!

Getting closer Andorra, but still no cigar.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Id ski Andorra over the Alps any day! I could avoid the pretentious Brits that flock to the "Chocolate box" chalets in the Alps and have a fantastic relaxed time
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Manda - I'll side with you. In the Alps you don't have to duck the lager cans.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Manda - why do you have such an issue with Andorra. I bet you havent even been recently. I apologise in advance for being a price concious family. I apologise for not earning enough money. I apologise for flying with Easyjet - I bet you call it sleazyjet. I'm with Nadenoodlee, you stay in the Alps paying stupid prices for everything from accommodation to beer. You can stay in a fantastic 4 star hotel half board in Soldeu for £400 in high season get an all area lift pass covering 190kms of piste for £120. You cannot get this value in the Alps. You name any resort in the alps which is cheaper and I 'll buy you a pint - sorry Pims !!!!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Actually Paul, I stayed in the Village Sport in March this year and I have to say it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in - anywhere. It certainly was a lot more than £400.00 and it certainly was not value for money. I have never had Pimms in the Alps - you get a really nice drink there called Gluhwein - about 2 euros.
Erica
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Paul Mason, thats you told then wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

You can stay in a fantastic 4 star hotel half board in Soldeu for £400 in high season get an all area lift pass covering 190kms of piste for £120

wink ......but why would you want to NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh (sorry couldn't resist)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dan, to avoid the alps and most people there? ( couldnt resist either) Razz
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Doh, should have seen that one coming........
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure where I fit in - can't stand Poms but can't afford the Alps... Only one thing for it, I'll have to drink red instead of beer (can't stand Fosters & whats Pimms??). But I'll be in Andorra in January, and with any luck the rest of you will keep away to avoid the only thing worse than lager louts & whinging poms - Aussies!!!! Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, i've been to Andorra twice, loved it.

Like has already been said it is a good value resort (soldeu especially) and unpretentious. It attract loads of down to earth brits (no bad thing) definately good for a laugh. I plan to go back late season for a last minute bargain. Off to French Alps this xmas and am really looking forward to the skiing, but i am a little worried about having to mix with all the toffs and wanna be toffs that this kind of resort is likely to attract. Oh well, i guess what i'm trying to say is i'm working class and proud of it NehNeh

Fuse lit, retire to safe distance and wait Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Up the rebels - abolish poverty.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004, What a lode of B******s were you walking around with your eyes closed woman Puzzled
Ive been to many resorts and the village is the one of the best I've ever stayed in, and a bonus there were no pompus folk around Where do you stay that has such a high recommendation from all the tour companies that is better than the village? Buckingham Palace Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Probably I'm being a little unkind. The Village is quite smart, the food not up to scratch. I much prefer Austria - has more of the sort of atmosphere that I associate with winter holidays - the Christmassy feel and all that. I don't like pretentious hotels either. The Eidelweiss and Gurgl in Obergurgl is better, so is the Arlberg in Lech. Very traditional , run by locals with local food. I don't want steak and chips. Most American motels are better than the Village. I haven't been to France skiing yet.
latest report
Interesting comparison in costs, I've just checked out prices for a 3* hotel just up the road from us and in high season they charge 70Euros per person per night half-board. Given that our lift pass is 140Euros for 6 days, which covers over 150 kms of pistes and includes La Thuile in Italy. I'm starting to wonder why everyone seems to think Andorra is such great value.
latest report
Erica2004 - what was it you didn't like ?
We've booked in the village for next Feb Confused
We are hoping it's better than the Piolets (especially on the food front)
snow report
David@traxvax, things like lessons, ski and boot hire, lift passes are still cheaper. We're in a 4* hotel with jacuzzi in the bedroom, usual half board inc afternoon tea, swimming pool etc etc just 1min from the Gondola for £1100 for 3.
Food when you're there, supermarket prices, ski equipment, normal shopping eg clothes make up perfume etc, alcohol (thank god). Can take little brother everywhere- all the pubs and restaurants. Its so relaxed and good fun, no pretentiousness no airs and graces
snow report
You ought to try France sometime, not the over-hyped mega stations like Meribel and Val d' which have IMO been ruined by the Brits but the smaller, friendlier less well-known resorts where you're treated like a real person not a punter. Incidentally, if shopping is important then the whole of the Aosta valley in Italy is a duty-free zone. I believe we can also challenge on costs, a week in our chalet;with good rooms, ski-hosting, sauna, jacuzzi bath, comfortable lounge, TV, VCR, DVD, Xbox, breakfast, dinner, afternoon tea, transfers to and from Geneva can cost as little as £255.00 and you can buy beer for 50 cents a bottle.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, but I like the big resorts- or at least the ones with loads going on! Lots of nighlife, lots of shops, lots of apres. Andorra is perfect.
latest report
Nade you might be surprised, our little village hads a really buzzy apres ski and until you taken part in a Karaoke at Arpin's bar - Johnny Halladay a speciality, you haven't lived.
latest report
David@traxvax, who's Johnny Halladay?
snow report
Tch! Youth of today wink
snow report
David@traxvax wrote:
not the over-hyped mega stations like Meribel and Val d'

I did basi foundation out of Meribel, the skiing and access to the mountains couldn't be over-hyped. Didn't go into the town much, looked very tacky, wouldn't be my first choice with family.
snow report
David@traxvax,

I just checked out your site, whens this years prices going online, if its that cheap i'm looking for somewhere to take mrs and two kids 6 + 4 ?
snow conditions
vtoakley, may I greet your first post with the traditional snowHeads welcome...

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
I've no ingrained bigotry against either place. Why choose? I've skied in France and Andorra and love them both. In my experience prices are more in the big French places but they all have their merits.
For anyone going to Soldeu, please don't be too worried by any of the posts. I've skied there twice now (and intend to again in the future) and it's fantastic. It is based around a main road but it's not an unpleasant place. Stayed both times at the Sport Hotel which is very friendly and with great food. A 0.5 litre beer last year was 3.5 Euro. Tended to be in bed 10 ish so didn't see any excessive rowdiness - we we're certainly never woken by any.
The skiing is fantastic unless your brilliant. Miles of confidence building open pistes.
There are a few tricky slopes as well (the top of Avet did for my cruciate last year) so take care. I think most people will enjoy the place. Overall a very friendly fun resort.
Very Happy
snow report
vtoakley, prices are online just go to booking & prices section of the website. BTW welcome to snowheads.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nade, Johnny halladay is an ageing French Rock & Roller, I believe he's even older than Cliff Richard, now don't ask who he is.
latest report
David@traxvax, Oh god you wanted me to know who an old french bloke was? have a laugh! I dont know old people you dont know young people, lets call it quits!
snow conditions
I was in Pas this April. The lifts were all shut and there was plenty of depth of snow on the hill into the town. It was snowing hard. The town was busy with day trippers all chasing those "bargains". I will hopefully be able to ski Soldeu/Pas as a day tripper this season driving in from Spain. Also aim to try Valdelinares and Javalambre resorts down towards Valencia. snowHead
latest report
Paul Roberts, hear hear. Stayed at Village twice and last year Sport. Food is excellent . By the way rob and sharon, you wont be disappointed.
snow report
Rob and Sharon - the food is buffet style - it's adequate. Jelly and stuff for pudding.
snow report
rob and sharon, the salads etc are fantastic, soups, show cooking salmon, pork, chicken, steaks etc loads of french bread you'll have no room for jelly and stuff.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy